Page 98 of 110 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3283

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    To be fair, neither APC nor Tool ever do encores (at least in my 18 years of experience seeing them). I've seen APC 6 times and Tool 5 times and NONE of those 11 shows had an encore. The one time I saw Puscifer, they did have an encore, but that's it.
    To add to your point, he does have "off" nights once in a while. Last night in Minneapolis was certainly not one of them (they were awesome and seemed to be in good moods), but the time I saw them in Portland, OR back in 2011 seemed to be an off night.
    I don't care whether there's an encore or not; it was just an objective difference between the two shows on the same tour just a couple months apart. The song was on the setlist with a break and everything; he literally just skipped it, said "thank you for coming", and left. It was a stark contrast to the previous show, that's all. Saw APC last on the spring '17 run and I loved the show. Saw them a few times back around '03/04 and while I definitely loved those shows, I legitimately thought he sounded even better this time around.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't care whether there's an encore or not; it was just an objective difference between the two shows on the same tour just a couple months apart. The song was on the setlist with a break and everything; he literally just skipped it, said "thank you for coming", and left. It was a stark contrast to the previous show, that's all. Saw APC last on the spring '17 run and I loved the show. Saw them a few times back around '03/04 and while I definitely loved those shows, I legitimately thought he sounded even better this time around.
    Yeah, I agree – I've seen APC 3 times in the past year and they've been great all 3 times. Maybe the long break revitalized/renewed Maynard's interest in APC. (I also just realized you were talking about Puscifer in your post that I quoted. I mistakenly thought you were referring to APC. My bad.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenorthwood View Post
    Last night during the show I could barely see Maynard and I thought “this is bullshit.” The fact that he’s recessed in the shadows is nothing new, as I’ve seen Tool, APC and Puscifer all multiple times. But perhaps I’ve lost patience with his lack of presence and control and ownership as the lead singer because an enigmatic lead singer or front person for a band is paramount for my enjoyment of the live experience, not only sonically but visually. Maybe my patience has worn thin because I have racked up so many more concerts over the years and seen some amazing lead singers and my opinion is more biased. It also doesn’t help Maynard’s case that it’s only been two weeks since seeing three nights of Trent’s unbelievable performance in Chicago.

The last time I saw Tool I reached my threshold of droning songs and practically fell asleep. After seeing Puscifer a few times I grew weary of their schtick. APC has finally ran out it’s welcome too. I’ve always been a casual fan of all three, with more enthusiasm for some songs vs others, but I feel like it’s time to break up with live performances of Maynard’s bands.

But, I hope those of you that have shows coming up have a great experience.
    you mentioned "sonically"...but then give no consideration to the fact that right now is arguably the best he's ever sounded. you could get someone like manson who stands on the edge of the stage all night flailing around and sounds like a whacked out idiot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    the fact that right now is arguably the best he's ever sounded.
    He did sound incredible. The Noose has been stuck in my head since Madison and Minnesota but now I've moved to the live version because it's just amazing.

I'm in Amazon music and it has a ton of APC and there's so much I haven't listened to yet. Tbh, I discovered Puscifer then moved to Tool (picked up all non remix CDs for Puscifer and all of Tool) and Tool is really so complex that I haven't absorbed it all yet (haven't really touched 10,000 Days at all--only so much time in a day...). But I hadn't listened to any APC yet. APC was touring and I didn't want to miss the chance to see Maynard and the concert was a couple weeks away, so I created a YouTube playlist of the most recent setlist and learned those songs (I really enjoy concerts so much more when I learn the songs well and can basically sing along etc).

But now, post-concert and I can't get the songs out of my head, I'm looking at the list of all these songs I've never heard. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all this cool stuff I can try! Sounds stupid I bet. But I'm super excited!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Manyard, huh?

Finished the video. This guy's extremely rigid ideology is exactly why Maynard holds the views on religion that he does.
    Last edited by Tyson; 11-15-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I would've cared more about this back when I was in high school wearing JNCO jeans, Dragonfly shirts and ball chain necklaces than I do now.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The show in Wichita was fantastic last night. Maynard has TRULY never sounded better. The arena that they played at was like the smallest fucking arena I've ever seen, practically out in the middle of nowhere in a cornfield, and it was only half full. But they performed as if they were selling out Wembley. Such a joy to see Judith live, and it fucking SLAPS. I think the most interesting aspect of the night though was witnessing this half full arena in a cornfield try to understand Tricky, who also basically performed in the dark.

I've waited 18 years to finally get to see A Perfect Circle, and it was such a great entertaining and odd experience, but it was so good. Loved it.

Oh and I really wish more bands took up the zero tolerance phone policy that APC had last night. Such a refreshing experience, to watch the show with everyone together instead of staring at hundreds of fucking screens. I thought it was hilarious how in the last 60 seconds of the last song Maynard announced everyone could now use their phones for the rest of the show, then promptly exited the stage through the back, not letting anyone get a picture of him. Wish more bands would adopt this policy though. Lookin at you, Trent.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Oh and I really wish more bands took up the zero tolerance phone policy that APC had last night. Such a refreshing experience, to watch the show with everyone together instead of staring at hundreds of fucking screens. I thought it was hilarious how in the last 60 seconds of the last song Maynard announced everyone could now use their phones for the rest of the show, then promptly exited the stage through the back, not letting anyone get a picture of him. Wish more bands would adopt this policy though. Lookin at you, Trent.
    Edit: Rescinded because I’m a dummy who forgot about the part where fans are allowed to take pictures and video.

BUT, all that aside, it sounds like it was an awesome time!! Glad you got to go and have your experience mostly phone-free as intended. I’m jealous. Would’ve loved to make the trip myself, but I decided I wanted to save the money for potentially catching NIN in Los Angeles next month.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    ...right now is arguably the best he's ever sounded.
    If that's the case, he should bring back the album version of 3 Libras! And yes, I am still banging that drum (it's my favorite APC song). But seriously, I do agree that he sounds great lately!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Could’ve fooled me! I couldn’t make it to the show, but a friend of mine went and was just a few rows from the front. Not only did SHE take a ton of bad pictures and videos on her phone (with her flash on. WHY DO PEOPLE KNOWINGLY USE FLASH IN THESE SETTINGS? To light the back of everyone’s heads? Yeah?), but her pictures had at least ten other people in front of her holding up their phones, too.
    You sure that wasn’t all for the very end when Maynard said now it’s ok to bust out your phone and take pics?

Other than some people using using their phone for a flashlight (to find their seats and what not) I don’t think I saw one person take pics or vids in Madison. They were pretty strict and let the crowd know about it- via notes taped everywhere and numerous over the intercom announcements prior to APC hitting the stage.

And im also 100% in on the no taking pics policy. Much more enjoyable show that way.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    You sure that wasn’t all for the very end when Maynard said now it’s ok to bust out your phone and take pics?

Other than some people using using their phone for a flashlight (to find their seats and what not) I don’t think I saw one person take pics or vids in Madison. They were pretty strict and let the crowd know about it- via notes taped everywhere and numerous over the intercom announcements prior to APC hitting the stage.

And im also 100% in on the no taking pics policy. Much more enjoyable show that way.
    Come to think of it, it VERY well could have been. I forgot all about that part being added to the shows recently. Thanks for checking me! Sincerely, haha. Very gracious of Maynard to allow the exception.

That being said, I still don’t feel like leaving flash on for concert videos from the crowd is at all necessary, heh.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    He doesn't even get what the song is really about, though i guess if you didn't know the name of Maynard's mother or the state of her health at the time the song was written, you could come away with similar opinions. Knowing the added background puts the entire song into perspective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    have they been playing the same set every night so far or is no one updating set list.fm?
    i know that websites usually pretty good at keeping up with what’s been played each show regardless of the band

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    He doesn't even get what the song is really about, though i guess if you didn't know the name of Maynard's mother or the state of her health at the time the song was written, you could come away with similar opinions. Knowing the added background puts the entire song into perspective.
    I was a teenager when a lot of these "controversial" songs came out that now seem really popular to react to, like "Judith" or "Closer", both of which I have seen pop up a lot on YouTube the last little while, and when the first came out, I really didn't think they were bad at all. Never saw the fuss. Especially in Judith. Then again, I was never brought up religiously. That could have been one of the reasons songs like these never affected me. But now, as an adult, I read the lyrics to some of these songs and I can't help but wonder, how on earth did they get passed as a OK song to make as a lead single... Closer? a lead single? That has to have been a joke, right? To see how far they can push it.

I know a lot of the world is obsessed with their religion and stuff like that, so even a song like Judith getting the green-light that it's OK to play on the radio baffles me.
    How did the record label decided these were good decisions for lead singles given the subject matter? There must have been a lot of back and forth bickering between record execs and the artists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    have they been playing the same set every night so far or is no one updating set list.fm?
    i know that websites usually pretty good at keeping up with what’s been played each show regardless of the band
    Yeah they've been playing the same setlist every show according to setlist.fm

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    They definitely haven't rotated a single song this leg of the tour

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I would've cared more about this back when I was in high school wearing JNCO jeans, Dragonfly shirts and ball chain necklaces than I do now.
    pics or it didn't happen (i'll show you mine if you show me yours)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just wanted to share. I got a cute t-shirt at the Madison concert, black but with a lot of purple on it and dolphins! Lots of dolphins! https://imgur.com/gallery/bZx3mqx Seemed a nice contrast to the other band shirts in my house. I don't see it on APC's website.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    Just wanted to share. I got a cute t-shirt at the Madison concert, black but with a lot of purple on it and dolphins! Lots of dolphins! https://imgur.com/gallery/bZx3mqx Seemed a nice contrast to the other band shirts in my house. I don't see it on APC's website.
    Wow! That’s really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I was a teenager when a lot of these "controversial" songs came out that now seem really popular to react to, like "Judith" or "Closer", both of which I have seen pop up a lot on YouTube the last little while, and when the first came out, I really didn't think they were bad at all. Never saw the fuss. Especially in Judith. Then again, I was never brought up religiously. That could have been one of the reasons songs like these never affected me. But now, as an adult, I read the lyrics to some of these songs and I can't help but wonder, how on earth did they get passed as a OK song to make as a lead single... Closer? a lead single? That has to have been a joke, right? To see how far they can push it.

I know a lot of the world is obsessed with their religion and stuff like that, so even a song like Judith getting the green-light that it's OK to play on the radio baffles me.
    How did the record label decided these were good decisions for lead singles given the subject matter? There must have been a lot of back and forth bickering between record execs and the artists.
    Cuz there was no social media back then, so they didn’t have to listen to every person who got offended by it voice their opinion at the drop of a dime.

Re: the static setlist. I’m cool with it since it’s a damn good set. Even better when one takes into account how long they were doing an Emotive tour for so many years for only god knows what reason.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Cuz there was no social media back then, so they didn’t have to listen to every person who got offended by it voice their opinion at the drop of a dime.

Re: the static setlist. I’m cool with it since it’s a damn good set. Even better when one takes into account how long they were doing an Emotive tour for so many years for only god knows what reason.
    No rotation means no "Orestes" which 100% should be a setlist staple.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    No rotation means no "Orestes" which 100% should be a setlist staple.
    Wouod love that in the set, along with Passive. Could ditch Peace Love And Understanding (or whatever the song title is), along with The Contrarion and/or the underwhelming Three Libras remix.

Not gonna complain though, it’s a really good setlist and opinions will vary.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Wouod love that in the set, along with Passive. Could ditch Peace Love And Understanding (or whatever the song title is), along with The Contrarion and/or the underwhelming Three Libras remix.

Not gonna complain though, it’s a really good setlist and opinions will vary.
    I'd also like to see them ditch Counting Bodies Like Sheep... and bring back Pet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Wish more bands would adopt this policy though. Lookin at you, Trent.
    Blame fans. TR tried that, and when he told people it was cool to record and take photos people went to extremes and brought in full-on recording rigs and shit. Went completely overboard.

Closer? a lead single? That has to have been a joke, right? To see how far they can push it.

For Closer, pretty sure the execs chose that one. When TR gave them the album he actually apologized for making an album with no viable single material. I imagine the execs picked it for the same reason so many people are attracted to it. A provocative chorus. And just like most, I'm sure they didn't examine the meaning to find out what was actually being said in the song.

As for Judith, Rob Halford was given a preview of the album by Billy, and Rob told him that the album was good, but if they made Judith the lead single they would sell a million copies, easy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    As for Judith, Rob Halford was given a preview of the album by Billy, and Rob told him that the album was good, but if they made Judith the lead single they would sell a million copies, easy.
    IIRC, Billy has said they originally wanted 3 Libras to be the first single because it was unique. I’m not sure it would have made the same splash as Judith.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    APC tonight in ANAHEIM!!! I will be recording tonight with two different recorders and I'm so pumped to see this band live again

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    APC tonight in ANAHEIM!!! I will be recording tonight with two different recorders and I'm so pumped to see this band live again
    Make sure it gets uploaded somewhere

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    In other news

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Just make sure you hit record