Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3258

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    A bootleg that I downloaded back in the day of one of my top 5 concerts ever (APC Albany, NY 11/26/2003), that I listen to frequently, has become corrupted... I don't have a backup. . . How would I go about finding something like this 15+ years later? Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'Magdalena' is a masterpiece. In my opinion it is one of their their best written and produced songs, it is one of my all time favourite "structured rock songs".

I am astounded and bewildered that it is not listed as one of their top 10 songs on Spotify.

The power of Maynards vocals build up as the song progresses, he does a fantastic job with vocalizing how he is at a loss and perhaps vulnerable too, by the end his emotions are becoming more intense, it's as if he is screaming and not screaming at the same time with that layered technique he uses.

The guitar is at the forefront for me on this track, the eerie bends and smooth melodies are very intelligent and well thought out.

Etc....

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    OK, now that the desperate, painful, yearning urge for a new Tool album is out of my system and Fear Inoculum has well and truly settled in, I figured it was time to go back to Eat The Elephant and take another plunge.

I'm liking it much more than I did on initial listens and have become used to what I initially felt was a weird, weird track ordering. I'm still not sure the title track should have been the opener, but it doesn't throw me like it used to.

I remain a huge fan of TalkTalk, Hourglass, Feathers and The Contrarian, and I can safely say I can add Delicious to my favorites too. And I'm over the initial disappointment of By and Down appearing on the album after years of familiarity with it...though I might prefer the Three Sixty version.

It's still an odd departure in parts - looking at you, Get The Lead Out - but it's become an album I can see myself throwing on way more often not, at any rate. I've come around on it in a big way. Wish there were acoustic sessions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now that the new Tool record is out, can we speculate when the next APC record comes out?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    FINALLY got a copy of Eat the Elephant, what are some tracks/moments to watch for?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maynard said #Pusicfer2021, so maybe 2022?! (Or 10+ years...).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    FINALLY got a copy of Eat the Elephant, what are some tracks/moments to watch for?
    I really dig The Contrarian quite a bit. Delicious as well. It has its gems.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Other than DLB and Get The Lead Out, they’re all pretty solid. Hourglass is probably one of my favorite songs and So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish was a constant in my playlists all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    DLB is nice IMO. This little often forgotten movement into Hourglass I don't ever skip.

On the whole I'd say ETE really succeeds for me in that it establishes its own aural identity yet feels quintessentially like APC.

Reading back over this thread, it certainly feels like APC's been on shaky ground forever, hasn't it? Divisive response to Emotive, long hiatus, Stone And Echo's insanely limited availability, stadium tours underselling as often as not, return album ETE having a similar divisive response. I worry Billy will one day get fed up and chuck it in the bin. Hope we don't have to wait another 10 years.

Feel like APC often goes over best when it's personal and intimate rather than social or political commentary. Then again, there's Hourglass. *Shrug*
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-03-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Other than DLB and Get The Lead Out, they’re all pretty solid. Hourglass is probably one of my favorite songs and So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish was a constant in my playlists all summer.

Funny, Get the Lead Out is one of my favorites on the album. I can kind of see why people might not like it; it does feel a little fragmented. Doesn't quite have a flow. But overall I do like the instrumentation, and I really like Maynard's vocals on this one.

What I also find amusing is that when TalkTalk came out, I didn't like it. At all. But I also didn't really pay much attention to the actual lyrics. Now? That song gets under my skin - in a good way.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I liked "Hourglass", "The Contrarian", "Get The Lead Out", "Disillusioned", "Eat The Elephant" and "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish".... but I also the whole album as a single entity.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Funny, Get the Lead Out is one of my favorites on the album. I can kind of see why people might not like it; it does feel a little fragmented. Doesn't quite have a flow. But overall I do like the instrumentation, and I really like Maynard's vocals on this one.

What I also find amusing is that when TalkTalk came out, I didn't like it. At all. But I also didn't really pay much attention to the actual lyrics. Now? That song gets under my skin - in a good way.
    Get The Lead out is also one of my favorite from that record. I don't understand all the hate for it.
    Top tracks? Get The Lead Out, TalkTalk, Disillusioned, Hourglass

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Get The Lead out is also one of my favorite from that record. I don't understand all the hate for it.
    Top tracks? Get The Lead Out, TalkTalk, Disillusioned, Hourglass
    I don’t MIND GTLO so much. It just feels like such a boring way to end the album. It would feel much better between two other songs. I would love it between Hourglass and Feathers.

I will say that the piano heavy tracks rake my ears a little because I’m just enough of an audiophile be bothered by clipping—especially on a keyboard. Thankfully, the vinyl version is much better about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hourglass and So Long Thanks For All The Fish are definitely my favorites. I absolutely love the title track, for its lyrics.

I have a confession to make: I've always found the 360 version of By and Down to be off tempo and it bugged be since forever until it was "fixed" on the album.
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 09-04-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Hourglass and So Long Thanks For All The Fish are definitely my favorites. I absolutely love the title track, for its lyrics.

I have a confession to make: I've always found the 360 version of By and Down to be off tempo and it bugged be since forever until it was "fixed" on the album.
    By and Down (The River)

Eat The Elephant >>>>> Three-Sixty

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I worry Billy will one day get fed up and chuck it in the bin. Hope we don't have to wait another 10 years.
    If APC does ever come to an end I don't think it will be his decision.

Regardless what happens, my hope is that he will take his talent and use it elsewhere - either with Ashes or whatever he sees fit.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5f4tU3pibi/

A near Perfect Circle reunion last night with old friends. @billyhowerdel @pazlenchantin @dannylohner #apc #aperfectcircle

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Annual reminder that the 12/12/03 Lincoln bootleg makes for great Christmas music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    OK, now that the desperate, painful, yearning urge for a new Tool album is out of my system and Fear Inoculum has well and truly settled in, I figured it was time to go back to Eat The Elephant and take another plunge.

I'm liking it much more than I did on initial listens and have become used to what I initially felt was a weird, weird track ordering. I'm still not sure the title track should have been the opener, but it doesn't throw me like it used to.
    I did something similar. I definitely revisited this album after Fear Inoculum came out and do dig it much more than I did at first.

I think it has to do with APC material needing multiple listens to really sink in. I only had a handful of CDs when Mer De Noms came out, and I played the absolute shit out of it. When ETE came out, I was definitely interested in it, but I also had more going on in my life than I did back in 2001 and couldn't really give it the attention it deserved. I'm a big critic of the whole "listen to an album a few times, slap a grade on it, and move onto the next" sort of culture around music that a number of my friends are into, but I also know how our modern lifestyle and media environment really plays into it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Eat the Elephant was the first APC album that wasn't an instant hit for me. The first two just struck me as "fantastic" on the very first listen. I think that really messes with your expectations of what any future material should sound like. I definitely wasn't sold out the newest one when it was first release, but over time I came to like it. Not as much as the first two, but still one of my favorite recent releases of any artist.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Less than 24 hrs left on my APC exclusive laminate fan pass from the 13th step era.

Get it while you can! Current bid is $5.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32405880117...84.m1555.l2649

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I never knew they performed on Conan and performed a censored version of the song.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I never knew they performed on Conan and performed a censored version of the song.

Maynard's looking like David Byrne's redneck brother-in-law in that suit and wig.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is it me, or does that not look like Troy (in the Conan clip)? The suit, guitar, and pigeon-toed gyrations are all there. But he looks different in the face. Like a bloated/less cool stunt double.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^They look like such babies! Josh
    Conan towering over Maynard at the end is pretty comical.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

This doesn't circulate often. It's a great performance.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Speaking of old APC stuff; I just dug up a sealed copy of the MDN promo cassette in my basement. Cardboard sleeve; couple of tracks. Pretty sure it's something I got out of a free bin at the local record store back when the album first came out.

Too bad those things aren't going the way of vinyl; I'd probably have a month's mortgage payments sitting there if they were

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Speaking of old APC stuff; I just dug up a sealed copy of the MDN promo cassette in my basement. Cardboard sleeve; couple of tracks. Pretty sure it's something I got out of a free bin at the local record store back when the album first came out.

Too bad those things aren't going the way of vinyl; I'd probably have a month's mortgage payments sitting there if they were
    You might be surprised, there are a lot of bands quietly dipping their feet back into the cassette trade. It might be worth putting out some feelers just for kicks. Never know if there's that one hyper obsessed cassette collector out there willing to trade their life savings for it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    You might be surprised, there are a lot of bands quietly dipping their feet back into the cassette trade. It might be worth putting out some feelers just for kicks. Never know if there's that one hyper obsessed cassette collector out there willing to trade their life savings for it.
    Cassette quality is by and large mostly shit BUT there is a thread on this forum that has cassette enthusiasts and collectors. I'm sure you can make some money off it if you desire.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I've had a file of this on my computer since around the time it aired. I always liked the little finger thing Conan does when he says "Nine Inch Nails."