Page 209 of 213 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,270 of 6369

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Stupid work shit that in retrospect i shouldn't have said anything about which culminated in me pretty much losing my shit. I didn't go full tilt but pretty close, i dropped enough f-bombs to earn an easy r rating. Good thing the owner exec. chef is understanding of these things and helped me and my boss man (whom i don't hate, I just have no life and we make not the best dance partners so to speak) finally get things aired out. I need a hobby or something, all work and no play is driving me crazy. The heat and long hours last week didn't help either.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    It's a good thing I moved back home. Greyhound Canada ended its service in all but 2 provinces. I used to take it at least 4 times a year to visit my family when I lived down south. Like those junior hockey players, I have a lot of memories of riding the bus. It's ironic that I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now, which is basically about a crumbling transportation company.
    That's...not...

You know what, if that's what you are taking from the book it explains a lot.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I wish it was more socially acceptable to just outright tell people "Please don't try to make plans with me. At all. I will say no."

Also, my phone has been dead since yesterday and I can't get it replaced until Friday. It does kinda suck, but it's also been weirdly liberating. I may even change my phone number for the first time since I got my first cell phone, because I'm getting really, REALLY tired of spam calls about setting up a warranty plan for a car I was SHOPPING for 4 months ago, not even the car I have now. Are those dudes even trying? "Oh! I see. Well, let me update our file with your current vehicle informa-" "No. You didn't hear me. I said I'm not interested. Period. I wasn't interested the first 6 times you called, and I won't be interested the next time. Changing the number you call from will not change that, either. And if you call me again, I'm going to explode on whoever's on the line. Got it? Excellent. Thank you."
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-11-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I wish it was more socially acceptable to just outright tell people "Please don't try to make plans with me. At all. I will say no."

Also, my phone has been dead since yesterday and I can't get it replaced until Friday. It does kinda suck, but it's also been weirdly liberating. I may even change my phone number for the first time since I got my first cell phone, because I'm getting really, REALLY tired of spam calls about setting up a warranty plan for a car I was SHOPPING for 4 months ago, not even the car I have now. Are those dudes even trying? "Oh! I see. Well, let me update our file with your current vehicle informa-" "No. You didn't hear me. I said I'm not interested. Period. I wasn't interested the first 6 times you called, and I won't be interested the next time. Changing the number you call from will not change that, either. And if you call me again, I'm going to explode on whoever's on the line. Got it? Excellent. Thank you."
    if we're ever in the same city i just want to give you a big ol' hug for a full minute because i feel like you need it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if we're ever in the same city i just want to give you a big ol' hug for a full minute because i feel like you need it.
    Hahahaha, trust me, I'm not in nearly that kind of dire straights that I'm just blinded by rage and rejecting human contact, lmao. But I'm not gonna say no to a hug, who says no to a hug?

But I feel like everyone has sooomeone in their day-to-day that they don't want to see or be associated with. And sometimes that person is the one most persistent in trying to get you to do things with them. Sorry captain, don't wanna make plans with ya. Time with you for a chunk of the day, every day, is plenty to show me what that will be like. If you want to socialize outside of work, let's start by adjusting your behavior there before you ask me if I want to get drinks or hang out with you and your wife as a third wheel. Deal? Deal. I'm open to it, for sure, but as of right now all signs point to a hard pass from me every time.

As for the phone thing...I don't know what has happened this past month or so, but I've just been FLOODED with spam calls from two sources. One is a litany of people offering me warranties on my car, which I already have, and the calls are all from "different" agencies I've never heard of in my life who claim to be from the same area code where I used to live - which is in no way near where I bought my car. The information they have isn't even up to date - they're offering me warranties on a specific car that I do not and have never owned. That's usually followed by attempts to get information on my current vehicle so that their files are "up to date," which have been shot down every single time. Not giving you guys that info if you can't even go so far as to get it on your own. The second source of calls is my personal favorite so far: I've been getting non-stop calls from "the CDC of Chicago" asking for my health information. I'd be concerned that maybe it's regarding my last trip to Chicago, but here's the thing - I haven't been there since 2011, the one exception being when I drove there in 2015 to see Failure play and immediately left town to hit the road home. I was in-city for probably 5 hours total. How they would even know that I was there is beyond me, and why they would contact me regarding that visit THREE YEARS AFTER THE FACT is even more mind-boggling. Did I secretly come down with a deeply-latent form of Chicago flu that needs 3 years to gestate before just blowing my asshole out or something? C'mon, guys...

Nothing I've done to stop these calls has worked, to the point where I give the caller three strikes each time. I'm going to say no to their advances three times, and after that, I'm not above cutting them off mid-sentence and telling them to kindly leave me the fuck alone, haha. They're spam callers. I have no shame in inconveniently interrupting them when they have cooonstantly inconveniently interrupted me. I'm not going to scream and make threats, because that's uncalled for, but their behavior is unacceptable. These calls happen multiple times a day. I have blocked each phone number, I have tried being polite to the callers, and I've tried just straight-up not answering for days at a time, and the calls persist. The only one that's stopped is the Chicago CDC calls.

They know the jobs they have, and they should also know that "no" means "no." If they take heat from me for relentlessly calling me after repeated rejections, that's part of the job, and they should do us both a favor and actually add me to their do not call list; for the entire call system, not just that particular phone number they choose to call me from on that day.

So I'm gonna do eeeveryone a favor and just change my phone number! Win-win.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    re: that ^^

I have this one friend in NYC who is like... he's a nice guy. He's pretty eccentric. I'm pretty eccentric. But in his case, his eccentricity manifests in him being pretty volatile and we just don't actually have that much in common. If our social interactions played out naturally, I think he'd be a friendly acquaintance. However, dude is persistent about making plans to hang out with me. By which I mean he tries every few months because I am a very solitary human. If we had a more shared interests or if I had romantic feelings for them or whatever, shit would organically happen more, but even with like... people I've dated or closer friends, I'm happy to see them a few times a month. I don't do frequent hangouts.

And there's no way for me to be like "hey, our friendship being at a place where we hang 1:1 every few months is closer than I want" and generally if someone asks me to hang out I'll say yes and there's just no way for me to walk shit back. So I just... kinda accept it? Because he's a nice guy. He's just volatile, which isn't a trait I super go for, and his interests are very different from mine but we're both good listeners so our hangouts tend be pretty mutually supportive and... I dunno. It makes me feel like a jerk. He's always been lovely to me.

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    That's...not...

You know what, if that's what you are taking from the book it explains a lot.
    Of course that's what Atlas Shrugged was about! And Infinite Jest was tips on how to play tennis better!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    RE the phone call thing: A lot of those are not legitimate companies, no matter what they claim to be selling or offering. Your best bet is to not answer calls from numbers you don't recognize. Source: I work with consumer fraud and identity theft.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    RE the phone call thing: A lot of those are not legitimate companies, no matter what they claim to be selling or offering. Your best bet is to not answer calls from numbers you don't recognize. Source: I work with consumer fraud and identity theft.
    Oh, for sure. And I can usually see through to that almost immediately. Unfortunately, the nature of my work involves occasionally getting calls from numbers I don't have saved (contractors, other properties, temporary workers, all that goodness), so it's a bit of a gamble for me to just not answer any phone number I don't recognize. (Sometimes my supervisor will be a swell fella and just GIVE my phone number to residents that "he trusts" when they need a point of contact, and I cut THAT shit out immediately. You wanna give them a number, make it YOURS or the number of our property.) I wish I could know every time whether it was someone I really have to talk to or not, but I normally at least answer, and if it's bullshit I give them about 30 seconds before I personally end the call. No call backs, no answering voicemails they leave, nothin'.

They think they're being smart, trying to take advantage of people who don't know any better - and that's partially why I have no problems nipping their BS at the bud. No, I will NOT let you update your file with my information. I may not even tell you whether or not my name is my name. I'M gonna ask questions, and if you can't adequately answer within the first 30 or so seconds, then...sorry, homie. Not gonna buy into it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I bitched some woman out for calling me and hung up on her. I got a call back immediately from an entirely different number talking about how they have all this personal information on me and that I shouldn't mess with people who have access to that kind of stuff.

Now I just tell them that the person they're looking for isn't there because if they can't pronounce my name right then why should I talk to them at all?

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    @ImTheWiseJanitor I've been getting the ultra shady car warranty hustler bullshit too!
    And if you ask them to not call you, they'll call you five times as much.
    I don't even HAVE a fucking car.
    They call and say that "it looks like we can set you up with blah blah blah because of your car" and one day I had been drinking and went along with it and halfway through it I was like "so where is my car? How do I use it? What does it look like? I don't remember having a car please help me, you said you knew something about me having a car."

I thought it was brilliant but they didnt.

And yeah man, these motherfuckers are RELENTLESS. I mean jesus: why do they keep calling me? They know they aren't going to make a sale.
    They must not be on commission if they're doing this because I missed them off.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not a call, but still somewhat relevant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Canada Post.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    A year ago I injured my foot (tendinitis in the right Achilles). I stayed off it best I could for almost 3 months hoping it would heal itself. When that didn’t happen, I went to a podiatrist who put me in physical therapy for two months. It’s not cheap even with insurance. I finished it May 6th.

Just two goddamn months later it hurts like it did before.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Is every police force on the planet jumping on the “we’re a little late to the #lipsyncchallenge but we’re finally doing it omg so excited” bandwagon? For fuck’s sake. WHY DO GROWN ADULT POLICE OFFICERS GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS “CHALLENGE” THAT IS LITERALLY JUST LIP SYNCING WITH ZERO “CHALLENGES” INVOLVED WHATSOEVER? I don’t understand.

Social media is cancerous.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    They are just trying to drum up some good PR in between shooting folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did work in the garden, got sunburn, maximum discomfort for two days.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Is every police force on the planet jumping on the “we’re a little late to the #lipsyncchallenge but we’re finally doing it omg so excited” bandwagon? For fuck’s sake. WHY DO GROWN ADULT POLICE OFFICERS GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS “CHALLENGE” THAT IS LITERALLY JUST LIP SYNCING WITH ZERO “CHALLENGES” INVOLVED WHATSOEVER? I don’t understand.

Social media is cancerous.
    Spoiler: because bootlickers love it

Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Hamilton. Holy shit, I want my money and time back... it’s hip hop for people who think Dr Dre is an actual doctor.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    How do you feel about musical theatre in general? Because like, Hamilton is a musical, it's not purely hip hop, hip hop is just deeply in there. Here's the Hamilton folks doing not musical theatre and I think it's phenomenal: (I also think Hamilton is phenomenal but it's a different thing)

Also YES that is a Hamilton quote in my longstanding subtitle, U R CORRECT
    Last edited by playwithfire; 07-18-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    I’m not a huge fan of musical theater, but I can enjoy it. I liked Phantom of the Opera despite the melodrama... I think Jesus Christ Superstar is great... I liked Les Miserable, Book of Mormon, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, Meet Me in St Louis... I even thought the Sunset Boulevard musical got unfairly bashed... I remember liking Miss Saigon even if I really can’t remember any of the music

Hamilton just felt as preposterous as it sounded like it’d be in concept... I was so curious to see what all the hype was about... i left feeling ripped off and pranked. I tried to keep giving it a chance but maybe I’m just a philistine here. This was after everyone I talked to raves about it. No one had mixed opinions, it was always clearly the greatest shit... both my fiancé and I were just perplexed

Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ... both my fiancé and I were just perplexed
    when did you get engaged!?!?!? EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    when did you get engaged!?!?!? EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    a couple months back! We’re tying the knot in April! We’ve been inseparable. She’s everything to me
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-20-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    there are so many bad shows in the city tonight. five finger death punch, godsmack, jackson browne (okay, no real reference here), some group called big ups, randy rogers band (nope), and exmortus (?). i think i'll avoid downtown tonight after 10 pm.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I went to a kink mixer thing last night that was a new crowd to me with a friend, and there were a couple of instances of straight men being stupid and it was just fucking tedious. Like, when we first get there me and my friend (who is more petite and conventionally pretty -- I'm plus-sized and in a dress that wouldn't be out of place at like, tea, because being demure and sadistic is fun) are sitting down, and these two dudes ask if they can sit by us (limited free seating space) and like TOUCHES MY FRIEND ON THE SHOULDER TWICE while settling in. Like, leans over and puts his hand lightly on her shoulder. Not accidental brushing. This is a party with explicit "ask before any kind of touch" rules so it's just rude, and then instead of socializing with his friend, proceeds to STARE at us in silence while she and I are trying to have a conversation with each other. So we move and I forget to take my drink with me, goodbye drink

Then later in the evening, she and I are setting up a little electrical toy and this dude asks us what it is, we answer and go back to talking to each other, then after a bit "where are y'all from" we basically go "here" and continue to focus on what we're doing with the toy and after some time "I'm trying to start a conversation with y'all."

Uh, yes, we know. But we're clearly not trying to have a conversation with you? WHY. It's just small and tedious but ugh. I don't mind crowds at kink things that lean "straight" except for this bullshit. It's not a big deal, it's just dull. Like, why can't people pay attention to whether or not someone is interested in talking to them, why is it consistently always straight men who pull this entitled stuff at this shit.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Jokes that are not only shitty in regard to their subject, but also poorly formulated and without an actual punchline. If your joke is shit, shut the fuck up. Just because you came up with it doesn’t just make it an inherently good or funny joke. Comedy really isn’t THAT complex if you want to make a simple joke.

”Why did god make women’s pussies smell like fish?” “*sigh*....why....” “For the same reason he made guys’ jizz look like tartar sauce!”

...Okay? Is there even a punchline? Is there even a “reason” that’s supposed to tie it all together?

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    My mom has a plate and screws in her neck. She was told that if she didn't have a procedure that she DIDN'T want, she would be kicked out of the practice and lose ALL of her meds.
    So she did it (of course the procedure costs thousands of dollars.)

But it gets worse.
    Something went wrong, and now it feels like the back of her head is on fire, at all times. And when she lays down, it feels like her head is laying on a pile of rocks.

Worst of all, the clinic told her that this might be PERMANENT, that her head will feel like it's on fire for the rest of her life.

At first she thought it was maybe a normal post op experience, but it's been over a MONTH.

She is regularly in tears from this new pain. Goddamnit, she was already in ENOUGH chronic pain BEFORE this bullshit.

So yeah. She was more or less blackmailed into a procedure she didn't want, that costs thousands of dollars, that might have made it to where she will be in agony till she dies.

But we have no recourse because hey, she signed a form absolving the surgeon and clinic from any damages incurred, including permanent neurological damage.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    That's fucking terrible.

I'm not asking this in a rhetorical "you SHOULD try this" way; this is an honest question: has she tried any sort of marijuana-based treatments for managing the pain? Genuinely curious because I grew up in a staunchly anti-weed house and just blindly believed it was the tool of the devil, but more and more I'm growing intrigued by potential uses. I wonder if maybe some form of it might help her?

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Ok so my cousin who nearly beat me to death and has creeped on our house is now telling other family members that he's been part of a government experiment for several years wherein they watch and document his every move and have harvested his DNA to create clones.

And he said he knows things are cool with me because it was one of the CLONES who tried to kill me and he's sure I'm aware of this.

��

This potentially changes everything regarding this situation, and in multiple ways.

Like now I'm thinking "who's gonna help him" and "if he's THAT crazy, why didn't I see it before?"

Also, what if he thinks he's found, idk, the headquarters of the organization doing the experiment on him and goes in shooting?

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Also, sorry for double post, but @theimage13 the answer is no, but we are both considering trying such treatments eventually.