Page 242 of 263 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,260 of 7887

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so just found out neither of my parents bothered to listen to any of the music I've made for the past ten or so years... can't name an album.... and it's like I AM THE JERK here because I wish they'd taken 40 minutes out of their lives to listen to something that I spent 4 years of my life making?

This is so ridiculous. And hey, how about instead of arguing about this, just listen to it! IT WILL TAKE 40 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME

I know you can't expect your parents to really give a shit about the art/stuff you do, but, I guess I expected them to be "curious"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-15-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so just found out neither of my parents bothered to listen to any of the music I've made for the past ten or so years... can't name an album.... and it's like I AM THE JERK here because I wish they'd taken 40 minutes out of their lives to listen to something that I spent 4 years of my life making?

This is so ridiculous. And hey, how about instead of arguing about this, just listen to it! IT WILL TAKE 40 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME

I know you can't expect your parents to really give a shit about the art/stuff you do, but, I guess I expected them to be "curious"
    Ouch.
    That's rough.
    I guess I'm lucky in that regard: my parents always had a band when I was a kid, playing shows in Amarillo, and i spent a lot of my childhood in a jam room. Not only did they LISTEN to my music, they actually helped me polish my songs when I was a teenager.
    Of course, they also taught me how to play.
    I guess I've always taken that for granted.
    Dude, at least a lot of us HERE listen to your music. In fact, I've been showing off one of your songs to some of my friends lately: "check it out- and guess what? I KNOW this dude!" style.

Your music IS appreciated.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

That is so unbelievably shitty. And I bet they'd waste 80 minutes arguing why they don't have time to spend 40 minutes listening to your music.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, it bothered me way more than I thought it would to find out that, nope, they just aren't even curious.

I guess I didn't really push it on them and say "hey, listen!" but I just assumed they would? And really, I'm not sure I even want them to like it. That might be weird. And I know it's NOT going to be their thing. It's weird music, and it's, well, not a thing that most people are into. And that's fine. There's that saying (I think it was the guy from GBV) that if your mom likes a song you wrote, it's time to throw that one in the trash.

So maybe it's a good thing, never had to throw a song in the trash because my mom liked it, because she didn't bother to listen. Neither did my dad. Boo hoo I guess.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

When my son and I went camping last week we listened to my ETS bandcamp playlist on the drive, so you @eversonpoe @Soma @neorev Tasisity (who's that guy...? lol) @AVirtualMemoryOfficial @r_z @DVYDRNS and @Leviathant.

I can't say he enjoyed all of it but he did enjoy a lot of it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

that sucks, dude. i'm so sorry.

i make instrumental versions of my albums for my parents to listen to because they can't bear hearing me scream (and they already have to, without music, when i'm recording, about which they are extremely gracious).

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    When my son and I went camping last week we listened to my ETS bandcamp playlist on the drive, so you @eversonpoe @Soma @neorev Tasisity (who's that guy...? lol) @AVirtualMemoryOfficial @r_z @DVYDRNS and @Leviathant.

I can't say he enjoyed all of it but he did enjoy a lot of it.
    bet i know which stuff he didn't enjoy (mine, in case that's not clear)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say that, it's a big fucking playlist. also: he's 15 and it's dad's music, I was surprised he listened to as much of it as he did.

I'm not killing anyone's darlings today!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I think the only time my wife's listened to my music was when she accompanied me to the studio for the mastering session. I've got programs from her theatrical performances and of performances of her compositions going back some 18 years, I've got more recordings of her stuff than she does. I could say this in a long-winded list, but I'll summarize it by saying, I'm her biggest fan.

It's fine! I'm not going to lie and say that it didn't bum me out a little bit. That's human nature. But she's way more into things about me that aren't my music. Your parents are like that too. In my wife's case, music is literally her career, and she probably appreciates that I give her room to take a break from that.

P.S. If your parents were making you feel like a jerk when you asked them about your music, that's just a defensive manifestation of shame. You called them out, they felt bad about it, but they also have trouble admitting that. Again: human nature, not an uncommon reaction.

Meanwhile, half the people who bought my album two years ago bought the last EP I released, and that's amazing. There are like, about 15 people - some of which I've never met and don't know - who like something about what I do enough to send me money. That's crazy!

Like I said - doesn't mean you're wrong to be bummed out. But it's also fine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    yeah, it bothered me way more than I thought it would to find out that, nope, they just aren't even curious.

I guess I didn't really push it on them and say "hey, listen!" but I just assumed they would? And really, I'm not sure I even want them to like it. That might be weird. And I know it's NOT going to be their thing. It's weird music, and it's, well, not a thing that most people are into. And that's fine. There's that saying (I think it was the guy from GBV) that if your mom likes a song you wrote, it's time to throw that one in the trash.

So maybe it's a good thing, never had to throw a song in the trash because my mom liked it, because she didn't bother to listen. Neither did my dad. Boo hoo I guess.
    Maybe it’s something that will never be their ‘thing’ and they’d rather just not go there than get into a discussion about whether they like it or not which they might feel would hurt you more.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Maybe it’s something that will never be their ‘thing’ and they’d rather just not go there than get into a discussion about whether they like it or not which they might feel would hurt you more.
    That's also entirely possible. But yeah, I'm not letting it really bother me in a continuing way, it just stung a bit I guess. And lately things have been really difficult for me, just in general I guess... so it all compounds and makes this sorta thing juggle my world a bit more than it normally would probably.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-16-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    two competing issues, one only sort of similar to the above and one that's a hard left:

1st: I was listening to some music the other day and my wife came in and gave me a funny look and said something to the effect of "that's not singing" or "how can I listen to something like that". I said you know, it's as easy as saying alexa stop and it can stop, cue alexa stopping the music. I then said this is why I don't like listening to music when you're around. she said that was a hurtful thing to say, which I thought was pretty rich considering where we started the conversation.

it is pretty rare I listen to anything not on headphones, like really rare over the past +/-23 years, which is why I still don't understand why she bought me a record player for my NIN albums. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And now my Siren Section, everson poe, Marissa Nadler / Stephen Brodsky, War on Women, SUMAC, IDLES, AiC, and a few others that I'm blanking on from memory.

2nd: the past couple of days I've been trying to figure out why soda has tasted absolutely terrible. I know I've started a new allergy medicine but I didn't think that could be it. I just typed "soda tastes terrible after starting medicine" into google and the first result was for Topamax aka Topiramate, the drug I've been given for my headaches that I restarted last week. whelp.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the Soda thing is weird! Is it all carbonated drinks?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Topamax aka Topiramate
    RIP. This drug made me even dumber than usual. I would legit forget what I was saying in the middle of a sentence, couldn't remember the simplest words or concepts, and I was just constantly beyond exhausted. The worst med I've ever taken by far. I've had two different practitioners put me on it, had the same experience both times, and the effects lingered for months after quitting. When I got new insurance and was able to get to a better provider, I described my experience with it to her, and she was basically like "lol yeah, we call that dopomax."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the Soda thing is weird! Is it all carbonated drinks?
    from what I was reading, yes. even beer. I'm glad I don't drink that much soda - like one every other day - because some of the posts on the forum I read that on are from people talking about six bottles a day and whew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    RIP. This drug made me even dumber than usual. I would legit forget what I was saying in the middle of a sentence, couldn't remember the simplest words or concepts, and I was just constantly beyond exhausted. The worst med I've ever taken by far. I've had two different practitioners put me on it, had the same experience both times, and the effects lingered for months after quitting. When I got new insurance and was able to get to a better provider, I described my experience with it to her, and she was basically like "lol yeah, we call that dopomax."

that sounds like me on a normal day before the drug. This is from last year; I already have a shit memory so, uh, great.
    back from getting the results of my assessment last week. apparently I'm a genius with an absolutely appalling memory? I tested into the highest percentile for the thinking/reasoning parts and the lowest of the memory. Like, he said anything under 10% is considered bad and probably something is physically wrong with your brain and I tested 7% on one and 1% on another. Combine the results of the two assessments (thinking & memory) and he said that probably it's sleep apnea keeping my brain from resting at night and that I should get a test for that, not anything like a brain injury/development issue. yay, I guess.
    PS - I've been on a CPAP machine for a year now and have not noticed a change. I'm sleeping better but not memorying better.

Oh another side effect I'm finding is that either both feet or both hands will tingle randomly, but both will happen at the same time when it happens. so not one hand, not one foot, both. but not the hands and feet, just the hands or feet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I’ve been on Topiramate for, shit, at least 8 years? From my Mayo Clinic affiliate neurologist. It’s a fairly low dose (25 mg) 2x per day. I tried going off of it and the migraines came back. I went back on, migraines cut WAY down again.

So, yeah, my speech is weird sometimes and I forget words, but not to the extent that you describe. The trade-off of no migraines is okay by me. Plus, my neurologist told me today that this is one of the only migraine drugs that doesn’t make you fat. Or fatTER.

My doc said I’ll be able to stop taking it but this is the only drug I’m on right now, beside the occasional rescue sumatriptan.

@allegate - I dunno what kind of soda you drink, but I’m a Diet Coke addict and Topamax never changed my love of Diet Coke. But I am reading all this crazy stuff about taste changes, wow!

I recently went off my asthma medicine, Montelukast (Singulair) after getting a warning text from my pharmacy, CVS. That makes you stutter, too.

I also went off my allergy meds.

Within the next year, I’m hoping to be off of all meds. LOL!
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2022 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @allegate @allegro just a weird anecdotal side note: my mom took my (late) father’s vitamins I guess to use them/ not waste them. They were specifically for people with eyesight issues, and were heavy on the b vitamin side. She ran out September of 2020, and felt like her memory was deteriorating from October on. When she finally had a check up in March, the dr asked about her b vitamin uptake, and it was nil. She’s since been back on them, but it’s early days yet. It might me worth looking into. Apparently it’s something we all need to take due to western diet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Magnetic - Thanks, I currently take B12 daily. I’ll look into other B vitamins.

Edit: I also used to take folate but I don’t need that anymore, evidently.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think there's also an issue with bio-availability of certain forms of B vitamins. Not all b complex are the same. I forget the details.... I bought a UK brand before going to the US, and today noticed that the tablets had absorbed moisture and were worthless (and stunk!). I'm only 42, but I could definitely use the brain boost as well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the last time I was on it I didn't notice anything about taste, just the tingling.

oh and the kidney stone. I forgot about that and haven't been drinking enough liquids since I started it again this week but was reminded of it today in a random aside so I've drunk six large glasses of water since then.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, I guess that can be a side effect of the topiramate, if you don’t hydrate enough. What dose are you on?

What does a kidney stone feel like? It doesn’t cause LOWER BACK PAIN, does it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    25mg 2x a day.

INCREDIBLE lower back pain, localized to the kidney in question. like right above the hip bone on the left or right side. there is no mistaking kidney pain for something else, like a "maybe I sat wrong" or "oh I pulled something I just need to stretch". No, it's the "that hurts so bad I'm going to take my mask off even though I'm in a hospital emergency room and throw up now" kind of pain.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Passing a kidney stone is agony... done it twice, the first time was crazy

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    25mg 2x a day.

INCREDIBLE lower back pain, localized to the kidney in question. like right above the hip bone on the left or right side. there is no mistaking kidney pain for something else, like a "maybe I sat wrong" or "oh I pulled something I just need to stretch". No, it's the "that hurts so bad I'm going to take my mask off even though I'm in a hospital emergency room and throw up now" kind of pain.
    Fuck, I’m on the same dose, and I’m often dehydrated. Ugh.

I wish I could go off Topiramate, but I really don’t want these fucking MIGRAINES back right now.

I’m gonna start drinking water like crazy.

(And do my back exercises lol.)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-17-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That's also entirely possible. But yeah, I'm not letting it really bother me in a continuing way, it just stung a bit I guess. And lately things have been really difficult for me, just in general I guess... so it all compounds and makes this sorta thing juggle my world a bit more than it normally would probably.
    If it helps at all, I still have the copy of three and a half seasons you sent me 10 or 11 years ago. Been a long time since I listened but I'll get it into Roon and will play this week(end).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    If it helps at all, I still have the copy of three and a half seasons you sent me 10 or 11 years ago. Been a long time since I listened but I'll get it into Roon and will play this week(end).

It's funny, I tried to destroy every existing copy of that one, but I just listened to it earlier. When I made it, I was going through something really intense and horrible, and the songs were really personal, and in hind sight I spilled too much into it. The whole "screaming in my coma" thing, I just felt it was too melodramatic.

But weirdly, listening to it again, there's some really fun moments in there.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't get these "limited stream virtual concert" things... at least with a virtual class thing there's an element of interaction, so the "limited seating" makes sense, and then they put an edited version online for you to download and review.

But this whole "spend 40 bucks to watch a concert that will disappear" concept almost feels like it's taking advantage of people desperate to see a live show at this point.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    How Did This Get Made does this. The first one I couldn't watch because of their technical issues - June couldn't figure out how to connect and Jason's mic was way too hot - so I couldn't even watch the thing I paid for.

Thing about their live shows in general: they edit them down for the podcast so there's things that you only see live. they did this to the streaming show for some reason. I get the rationale for the actual live shows but streaming? nah.

haven't paid for any other one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Social media - I'm aware of the irony - can be fired into the sun. Holy crap.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Wastes of space like Kevin Johnston (who wants to be Mayor of Calgary, if people vote this sack of shit in i will be so disappointed) and his ilk knowingly spreading around what is likely to be COVID all over the damn place.

Twitter thread below.

This same lowlife who was involved in this altercation at a grocery store in Dawson Creek, BC back in March.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...ies_to_make_a/

https://www.antihate.ca/citizens_arr...re_employee_bc
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 04-25-2021 at 03:35 AM.