Page 241 of 263 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,230 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I have this issue of picking up speech patterns and phrases from people. The past year the people I interact with diminished substantially - I wonder what happened? - and this has meant I interact with my wife's family more. specifically her brother, since we babysit his kid. He's not a bro but he does say bro a lot and I...this is a safe space, right?...I have started saying bro.

Mostly it's in my internal monologue but it has slipped audibly once or twice. Once in a text message to someone at work and I was aghast at the thought. Seriously, I just used the word "aghast" so I hope you see what I mean. I'm not Frasier or anything but

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I have this issue of picking up speech patterns and phrases from people. The past year the people I interact with diminished substantially - I wonder what happened? - and this has meant I interact with my wife's family more. specifically her brother, since we babysit his kid. He's not a bro but he does say bro a lot and I...this is a safe space, right?...I have started saying bro.

Mostly it's in my internal monologue but it has slipped audibly once or twice. Once in a text message to someone at work and I was aghast at the thought. Seriously, I just used the word "aghast" so I hope you see what I mean. I'm not Frasier or anything but

I am forever going to be picturing you as Kelsey Grammer now.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I'm only slightly less hirsute.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Who do we nominate as Niles?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Niles was always my favorite.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

I'm only slightly less hirsute.
    Yeah, being hairy as fuck i relate

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Who do we nominate as Niles?
    @october_midnight

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So we've done ALL this shit to get my wife the hep c cure. We got a letter saying insurance would cover it for $700, and that they were sending it to a specialty pharmacy in Florida.
    But then, they didn't cover it at THAT pharmacy, and they've transferred it to ANOTHER specialty pharmacy. And now, THAT pharmacy is waiting on confirmation of coverage. But we already got the fucking letter from the insurance company saying "yeah, we'll cover it, for $724." Idk if they sent it to the wrong pharmacy?
    Anyway, meanwhile, she is living on nutrition shakes and puking her guts up if at any given time she doesn't have enough thc and promethazine in her system.
    And the cirrhosis is JUST ABOUT to set in, or, rather, it was when the testing was done, weeks ago. It may already be happening.

I'm on the edge of my fucking seat, here. It's like, YAY, she's getting it, but then, no, wait, but then, the OTHER pharmacy calls, but, yeah, they'll call us back soon...

And it's like, please just let us buy the fucking goddamn medicine, or, DON'T, and let us proceed with trying to get help from the drug company or whatever.

Fucking bureaucracy and red tape with a literal life and death matter is infuriating and horrifying.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this is the "little things that piss you off" thread, so I'm just going to say that reading this rant a friend of mine just threw onto social media is making me wanna scream.
    Why would you make a post talking about how people shouldn't say they have PTSD unless they actively served in the military?

Do you understand that people can be traumatized without signing up for it? Goddamn it I hate people sometimes...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    this is the "little things that piss you off" thread, so I'm just going to say that reading this rant a friend of mine just threw onto social media is making me wanna scream.
    Why would you make a post talking about how people shouldn't say they have PTSD unless they actively served in the military?

Do you understand that people can be traumatized without signing up for it? Goddamn it I hate people sometimes...
    People are baffling. More and more, I'm staying out of shit like that

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

I've been thinking about this one today.
    I mean, I use words like aghast, and ostensibly, and dichotomy, and analogous. I bemoan dangling participles on a daily basis, because they are EVERYWHERE narration occurs.

I ALSO say "y'all" and "ain't no" and "you've got me fucked up" and "throwed to the game." I end sentences with "yanawmean?" and "you feel me?"
    I call people "that fool" so and so.

Idk. My diction, both internal and spoken, is that of a well read, decently educated person, but it's also interspersed with southern and street culture, as, that's part of who I am, too.

And, well, that's, you feel me, ok, bro.

Last edited by elevenism; 04-01-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Believe having dichotomy of personality makes people more fun. I have and use a pretty diverse vocabulary that makes some people look at me weird. I like throwing in the occasional ya'll, even though I was raised to not do so.
    I love attending the opera when I can, love NIN and also listen to some modern country with everything in between. I take online cooking classes from Truffle Shuffle, have an outrageous wine habit, and still love Taco Bell when the moment strikes. I may or may not have actually lit a fart on fire. I love black tie events.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So I just found out that I live in what is literally the "most strongly Republican congressional district in the country."

It's not in Alabama, or Mississippi, or West Virginia. It's right here in the Texas Panhandle, where I was born, and once again reside.Remember this, next time you think YOU'RE surrounded by idiots and assholes.

I've got a question, though: what happened? It says here that the majority of the political offices in this district were held by democrats until the late NINETIES. It's gotta have SOMETHING to do with farming, I think, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-02-2021 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So I just found out that I live in what is literally the "most strongly Republican congressional district in the country."

It's not in Alabama, or Mississippi, or West Virginia. It's right here in the Texas Panhandle, where I was born, and once again reside.Remember this, next time you think YOU'RE surrounded by idiots and assholes.

I've got a question, though: what happened?
    I'm guessing gerrymandering.

Look at this. Look carefully at the number of votes for Democrat and Republican candidates per election. Watch what happens to those numbers starting in 1996.

That's likely due to gerrymandering (redistricting). In 2010 and 2012, not one single Democrat even ran?

That wasn't an accident.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-03-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My favorite deodorant changed their formula. The scent is now 1) WAY TOO STRONG, and 2) no longer is sold in the one "flavor" I could tolerate smelling that strongly. Time to spin the wheel on brands again, I guess.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    My favorite deodorant changed their formula. The scent is now 1) WAY TOO STRONG, and 2) no longer is sold in the one "flavor" I could tolerate smelling that strongly. Time to spin the wheel on brands again, I guess.
    Try Old Spice Wilderness. It's floral and smells like lavender and heaven.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    even though they're more expensive (stupid pink tax) i would say that "women's" deodorants in general are way less overpowering. the secret aluminum free coconut scent is what i've been using for a while and it's so pleasant and subtle. i'm also a big sweater and i've gone three days without showering and don't smell, thanks to it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    even though they're more expensive (stupid pink tax) i would say that "women's" deodorants in general are way less overpowering. the secret aluminum free coconut scent is what i've been using for a while and it's so pleasant and subtle. i'm also a big sweater and i've gone three days without showering and don't smell, thanks to it.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm at the end of my last stick of antiperspirant and wanted to switch to just a deodorant to see if that helps at all. I sweat a lot as well (especially my fucking hands which is gross and frustrating) and despite this stuff being 48 hours, I smell quite ripe after about 10.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ooh, and it doesn't even have baking soda in the ingredients list! tysm!

I am so grateful for whatever trend is generating more hygiene product scents that aren't limited to "overpowering flower garden" or "Blue Smell for Men".

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Try Old Spice Wilderness. It's floral and smells like lavender and heaven.
    or Old Spice Krakengard, or Swagger, or any of a whole hell of a lot of their scents.
    I have to have the shampoo, body wash and body spray, too: I have a touch of ocd in that area.

Also, @eversonpoe , here's a fun fact: in lock up, most of the men use women's deodorant- in fact, secret is the one you can get on commissary. Anyone who's been to jail more than once knows that the women's deodorant works better, has a less powerful scent, and is easier on the skin, compared to the men's brands that are available.
    It's funny to see all these gangbangers and murderers using women's deodorant.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-08-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There was recently an application process where any civilian artist or "creative person" could interview for a chance to go to the moon THE MOON!
    I pre-registered skipping around in excitement at the chance, then minded my own business for a few weeks while waiting for the next stage of the application
    I MISSED IT GODDAMMIT!
    Here's the website to further elaborate:
    https://dearmoon.earth/
    Can't wait for the next chance to go, if there is one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's funny to see all these gangbangers and murderers using women's deodorant.
    This should be under "the little things that cheer you up"!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    My brother’s family is planning on throwing an 18th birthday party for my older niece next month at a resort in CT. Ridiculous. Meanwhile my sister in law and my brother’s mom refuse to get vaccinated. My brother is “looking into it,” whatever that means. It’s maddening.

My sister in law and brother's mom are also followers of the "medical medium," just to give you more of an idea of what kind of people they are. :|
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 04-10-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    MAPS/NOMAPS (minor attracted persons/non-offensive minor attracted persons,) aka, fucking PEDOPHILES, worming their way in to the LGBTQ+ community and expecting the same sort of support, as they attempt to normalize one of the most godawful things in the world.

What's HORRIFYING to me is that, to some degree, it's WORKING: they have allies on social media, already. They're adding the term MAP to their profiles. There are hashtags going around, like MAPpride and shit like that. They even have a fucking pride flag, now. Also, part of their whole shit is that they claim that they don't ACT on their urges...except some of these people identifying as "MAPS" have already been found to be registered sex offenders.

I remember, years ago, we were wondering, here on ets, if this would happen at some point in the future, and, well, here it is. And it's ABHORRENT.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    WTF? I did not know this was a thing. That's seriously messed up.

When I was 17-18 I dated someone who was 24, and I thought it was fine. Once I was 19, I realized they were a loser who was taking advantage of me. I don't have long term trauma from it, thankfully, but I hope the me too era can de-normalize this shit.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    WTF? I did not know this was a thing. That's seriously messed up.

When I was 17-18 I dated someone who was 24, and I thought it was fine. Once I was 19, I realized they were a loser who was taking advantage of me. I don't have long term trauma from it, thankfully, but I hope the me too era can de-normalize this shit.
    I had a teenage relationship that was technically illegal: 18 and 16 type shit, but we didn't think about it at the time, like, at ALL.

That's not what THESE people are talking about, though. This is NAMBLA type shit, and they're trying hard to normalize it. They want to turn being attracted to young children into a sexual orientation.
    There was even a MONETIZED "MAPS" podcast on YouTube, and it was up for a WHILE, before it finally caught enough backlash.
    I also kept digging and found that some of them argue that a child CAN consent. It LOOKS to me like this BEGAN as a hoax: at least the flag did. But, a lot of pedophiles caught wind of the movement and the joke became real.
    MAP even has a Wikipedia entry, now, as "minor attracted person." I feel like that acronym alone goes a long way towards normalization.

Crazily enough, the same thing is going on with the #zoophile "community." Now, THAT shit, on first glance, makes me want to laugh, (because it's SO absurd,) but then, of course, it IS animal abuse.

Luckily, a lot of this shit seems to be being removed from Twitter. But I sure did see some creepy shit, going down this rabbit hole.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-12-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    MAPS/NOMAPS (minor attracted persons/non-offensive minor attracted persons,) aka, fucking PEDOPHILES, worming their way in to the LGBTQ+ community and expecting the same sort of support, as they attempt to normalize one of the most godawful things in the world.

What's HORRIFYING to me is that, to some degree, it's WORKING: they have allies on social media, already. They're adding the term MAP to their profiles. There are hashtags going around, like MAPpride and shit like that. They even have a fucking pride flag, now. Also, part of their whole shit is that they claim that they don't ACT on their urges...except some of these people identifying as "MAPS" have already been found to be registered sex offenders.

I remember, years ago, we were wondering, here on ets, if this would happen at some point in the future, and, well, here it is. And it's ABHORRENT.
    just came across this

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I started my own sole-proprietorship LLC back in 2017 so I could strike out on my own and despite some setbacks, I've been pretty successful doing freelance and contract-based web development for numerous clients throughout this time. I've been contracting for 40 hours/week at a global investment firm since May 2019 and was told on November 9, 2020 that due to major changes to budgets and departments, the budget they had been paying me and five other contractors out of was no longer going to exist and contracting wouldn't be possible starting 1/1/21. I was then asked if I was interested in a full-time position and, at the time, I was. I said yes and they told me I'd get an offer soon.

Well, we're almost halfway through April and I'm still contracting (it's been a fucking infuriating process but that's a totally different discussion) and finally today, I got notified that the job I've been doing since May 2019 is available to apply for if I want. And the salary comes with a $10,000 range and should I apply (for the job I was told would be offered to me), I'd be looking at anywhere from a 37.09% - 43.71% decrease in salary to do the same job I have been doing for 23 months, with additional responsibilities (the worst of which is a rotation of "production support" that whoever is assigned must respond to any issue that comes up 24/7 during their weekly turn), and some major restrictions--the least of which are requiring me being in the office despite, again, 23 months of working remote with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

It's fine because I wasn't going to take it anyway anymore at this point. I'm building an equestrian platform with a good friend who's an amazing designer and equestrian. We haven't launched yet but already have 4 active clients, another in the process of getting a quote, and a sixth who just contacted us about a site she needs this year and then a much bigger one she'll need sometime in 2022. Plus, we've gotten 7 legitimate people contact us through our "Coming soon, sign up for more information" form on our site who are interested in learning more. We've done no advertising and are already, it's becoming a huge time vampire and I can't keep working at this investment firm because it sucks up all my time, energy, and what little patience I have.

I guess I'm just pissed that it took them 5 fucking months to send me this pathetic, shitty fucking "offer" to apply for my own job. The thing that makes me so fucking angry is that they're framing everything like I haven't been crushing it in this role for almost TWO FUCKING YEARS without any of the restrictions imposed on me and for the salary I deserve (and honestly, it's still pretty low--especially being privy to the company's financial information and knowing just how well they did in 2020 despite the pandemic. I'm charging them half of what any recruiting agency would charge and never negotiated an increase during any of the 8 extension discussions). Fuck these capitalist cunts. CEO got a $30M bonus and I get a massive pay cut to keep doing the job I have been.

I guess this is the final, obvious sign I needed to make it perfectly fucking clear I need to get off this corporate teat and make my own thing happen in a big way. And if my thing ends up failing, then it's time to move on from development because I am burned the fuck out and will never apply for another development job again.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    just came across this

Yeah, dude. I first read about this, and THEN, read that it was a hoax, but upon further digging, realized that there are a reasonable number of people.taking it seriously. It's like the "ok" hand sign hoax becoming an actual white supremacist thing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, ok. Sorry for double post, but I can't stop thinking about it:

"worse case scenario"

"worse thing that ever happened to me"

What's crazy about this is that, I swear, in conversational speech, I think I'm starting to hear it more often than not.

So, with the fluidity of language, I think the dictionary is going to have to change the definition of "worse" before long, or at least add a colloquialism bit.