Page 227 of 227 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227
Results 6,781 to 6,809 of 6809

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The little things that piss you off

Web services that don't provide "delete account" functionality, like echoingthesound.org.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post

Web services that don't provide "delete account" functionality, like echoingthesound.org.
    Just start writing a lot of really racist shit and personal attacks against other users. Your account will be gone in no time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Just start writing a lot of really racist shit and personal attacks against other users. Your account will be gone in no time.
    You think this will work with nysenate.gov? They won't let anyone go, either.

Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post

why do you want to delete your account here?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Even though I know it’s unrealistic of me to ask, in the last four or five days, I’ve requested that I “Stop Seeing This Ad” for the same Facebook ad on YouTube 300 times. I’m not going to use Facebook. Give it up.

Not to mention the number of times I’ve asked to stop seeing Michael Knowles Show and Daily Wire ads. It’s enough that every time I use YouTube, I kind of whimper over how much better life was before I had a smartphone.

Oh, August 2010: I miss you.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    How do you go above a seller's head and report them to Amazon for investigation? I have a feeling that the seller does not have all of the inventory they claim to, and is not properly placing/marking orders on backorder, etc.

Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    i'm really sick of people not gendering me correctly on here. it says "they/them" directly under my username on all my posts. it's not hard.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tree harvesting in my country, I get it that it's just farming the trees and grow them again but what's happening is not normal, I don't believe this is sustainable and it's going on like there's no tomorrow or no world to keep for our children. Chainsaw noises all the time everywhere... today picture around where I live.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm really sick of people not gendering me correctly on here. it says "they/them" directly under my username on all my posts. it's not hard.
    As the resident old fart, I do admit that figuring out the new social norms regarding gender are quite confusing to me. Please understand I have absolutely no problem addressing anyone in the manner they prefer. That is simply being polite. If I do happen to get it wrong, there is no malicious intent, it's just my ignorance of the rules. Especially when social interaction has never been something I am very good at.

So, I am curious if you think people misgender you intentionally? It seems like such an absurd thing to do with intent, unless someone is just trying to be rude. If you are being misgendered unintentionally, perhaps simple ignorance is the cause? Some of us can take awhile (many decades) to learn new stuff.

Either way, I am sorry it bothers you, and hope I am not one of the guilty persons.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Definitely not in defense of anyone, but maybe you could label your pronouns as "Pronouns" for the people who wouldn't otherwise know what that text indicates? As I'm certain you're aware, many cisgendered people have enough privilege in that department to not even consider there are other ways of being and modes of speech unless it's presented in neon in their faces. Actual neon text might help, too. I'd never even noticed your pronouns there—or pretty much anyone's subheader, now that I'm looking, despite customizing my own like ten years ago—until you pointed them out. The burden shouldn't be on you but, well, we know how this works at present.

Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    As the resident old fart, I do admit that figuring out the new social norms regarding gender are quite confusing to me. Please understand I have absolutely no problem addressing anyone in the manner they prefer. That is simply being polite. If I do happen to get it wrong, there is no malicious intent, it's just my ignorance of the rules. Especially when social interaction has never been something I am very good at.

So, I am curious if you think people misgender you intentionally? It seems like such an absurd thing to do with intent, unless someone is just trying to be rude. If you are being misgendered unintentionally, perhaps simple ignorance is the cause? Some of us can take awhile (many decades) to learn new stuff.

Either way, I am sorry it bothers you, and hope I am not one of the guilty persons.
    not at all, you're good. and i'm totally fine with with phrases like "hey, man" or the word "dude" in general; that doesn't bother me in the slightest. but when someone refers to me as "he" or if someone referred to me as "a man" i would be extremely uncomfortable. to me it's similar to someone constantly referring to someone as "max" who prefers to go by "maxwell" (ask me how i know!), except it's even more upsetting than that because it's literally refusing to acknowledge an aspect of my identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Definitely not in defense of anyone, but maybe you could label your pronouns as "Pronouns" for the people who wouldn't otherwise know what that text indicates? As I'm certain you're aware, many cisgendered people have enough privilege in that department to not even consider there are other ways of being and modes of speech unless it's presented in neon in their faces. Actual neon text might help, too. I'd never even noticed your pronouns there—or pretty much anyone's subheader, now that I'm looking, despite customizing my own like ten years ago—until you pointed them out. The burden shouldn't be on you but, well, we know how this works at present.
    the people i've seen do it on a regular basis are definitely people with beef toward me, so i'm almost entirely sure it is intentional. it's a really easy way to disrespect someone and make them feel like you're talking down to them, which is their goal. and i'm not being dramatic when i say that, even though i know how it sounds.

and i know you're not defending anyone. you're probably the smartest person on here and i know you always want to encourage people to think critically and deeply, and i always appreciate that about you <3

Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    Is it possible that they’re just wrapped up in their own lives and worlds right now, especially due to this pandemic, and this online thing sometimes leads people to overlook the details outside themselves? I know lots of people here think I’m a dude.

Back in 1985 there was Mark Ethan Smith who was pretty much the online revolutionary of gender and Mark suffered a lot of crap (and dished a lot, too, including doxing my best friend, but I digress). We’ve come a long way, or maybe not.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-01-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    As the resident old fart
    Heh You’re not the only resident old fart.

Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Is it possible that they’re just wrapped up in their own lives and worlds right now, especially due to this pandemic, and this online thing sometimes leads people to overlook the details outside themselves? I know lots of people here think I’m a dude.
    i mean it's really one person in particular who has spent the last 24+ hours shitting on me in a particular thread and insulting my creative endeavors, as well.

it's been fun! /sarcasim*

*this is a deep cut joke that i know allegro will get; i know it's spelled wrong.

Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    i mean it's really one person in particular who has spent the last 24+ hours shitting on me in a particular thread and insulting my creative endeavors, as well.
    Oh, well, in that case. My Grandma would say ignore them, they ain’t worth it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    not at all, you're good. and i'm totally fine with with phrases like "hey, man" or the word "dude" in general; that doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    I use dude a lot...for everyone, regardless of gender. (The 90s stuck with me.) Though I think I specifically caught myself typing a reply to you and edited it out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    the people i've seen do it on a regular basis are definitely people with beef toward me, so i'm almost entirely sure it is intentional. it's a really easy way to disrespect someone and make them feel like you're talking down to them, which is their goal. and i'm not being dramatic when i say that, even though i know how it sounds.
    Believe me, I understand better than you'd think. Not at all overdramatized. And coupled with this...

...I get you. That’s not an accident, then. But it seems like that one's little more than a troll. Allegro's right. Ain't worth your time. Keep doing you and putting out records.

i know you always want to encourage people to think critically and deeply, and i always appreciate that about you <3
    I should just cut and paste this in the Little Things That Cheer You Up thread. Made my day!

it's been fun! /sarcasim*

*this is a deep cut joke that i know allegro will get; i know it's spelled wrong.
    Damn, I haven’t seen “sarcasim” in...how long has it been since I’ve seen that? Feels like a decade. More? Could that be right? That can't be right. How old am I?
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 05-01-2020 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Combining posts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    WiFi and Internet connectivity that starts to misbehave at random times with not even one logical explanation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As I am mostly using my phone to read and post on here I am unable to see this. No bad intention if I happen to be one of these people.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe
    just correct them or ignore them. if they cant get it right, believe me that it will be your heart attack and not theirs. non consideration rarely fixes itself.

it isn't hard for a respectful person, but it is impossible for a selfish person.
    Last edited by ldopa; 05-01-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    810 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I use dude a lot...for everyone, regardless of gender. (The 90s stuck with me.) Though I think I specifically caught myself typing a reply to you and edited it out.
    In real life, I’m not okay with being called dude. I do call everyone “guys” though. Online, I’m anonymous so IDGAF.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-01-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I call everyone “dude.” Have done so for like 3/4ths of my life.

I don’t mean to offend at all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I've definitely been known to call everyone "dude," regardless of sex or gender. Same with "guys." Though I guess I use the former more as emphatic punctuation—"Dude, you are not wrong about that!" Or maybe it's more of a speech disfluency by this point in my life.

Having spent a lifetime in and out of customer service, however, I've been gently scolded or hardcore yelled at for calling everyone virtually everything that falls under the umbrella of acceptable—folks, guys, ladies, gentlemen, y'all, &c.; I'm generally not getting too clever when I'm trying to make a buck—and I more or less have come around to thinking that most people should maybe chill the hell out a little if someone uses a term without intention of disrespect (and while also not being oblivious to the fact that some shit is inherently disrespectful). Gender and sexual identity pronouns being excluded, of course; some sterner corrections in those cases can be forgiven considering the sheer frequency of microagressions affected parties face.

Although, after three years working at a gay bar, I've seen people give no indications of pronoun preference and then explode when you don't inherently know that the person with the beard in the three-piece suit uses "her" or "they." I guess it's comforting to know there are assholes everywhere?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose this whole issue is, in itself, a little thing that pisses me off—again, I'm not referring to issues with sex or gender pronouns. Outside of that, I think my general rule of thumb would maybe be don't lose your cool until it's time to lose your cool? And I've seen people lose their cool in some downright toddleresque circumstances.

I was once yelled at by someone in the described group for having used the phrase, "It's going over there; the table of ladies near the corner" (sexist). I was also bitched out for saying, "Those guys at the end of the bar" about an all male group—insufficiently deferent. In neither instance was I being anything other than descriptive. If I'd been speaking glibly, I'd be annoyed by the reaction, but get that they probably thought I was somehow being pejorative in my terminology, and I'd've forgotten about any irritation felt by the end of the shift. But that wasn't the case either of those times and thus I'm stuck with the memories of thorough dressings down for fuckall.

Often, the same kinds of people who'll flip about this are the folks who'll go ahead and slap any ol' sobriquet on their server or barkeep.

Things I've absolutely heard that 99% of the time aren't okay to call your server or barkeep because there's no real way to say them respectfully in a situation with that kind of power dynamic: Ace, babe, baby, brah, bro, big guy, big man, boss, buckaroo, bud, buddy, champ, chief, compadre, cutie, darlin', dear, girl, girleen, girlie, guy, honey, honeybunch, honeybuns, hoss, killer,* little buddy, pal, senator, scout, slick, slugger, son, sport, sportsfan, sweetheart, sugar, sugar tits, tiger, trooper. Also, "My n###a," is not okay even if we're two white people, there are no persons of color around, and you're just trying to show how at ease you are with me. Actually, especially in that circumstance.

Phew. I don't miss working with people.

*Fun story: On my last day at an overpriced independent burger & sandwich joint when I was twenty-five, an old man returning from a hard morning of golf and wearing a Michael Savage windbreaker ordered a Boodles and tonic. I chuckled quietly; at the time, I had no idea what “Boodles” was and even loving it later in life, I still think it's an objectively silly name for a gin. I told him I’d check in back. In fact we did serve Boodles. And when I brought him his martini, he said, “Atta boy. I knew you’d come through, big guy. Thanks, killer.” I replied, “No problem, rapist.” We stared at each other in a moment of dead calm. Then I said, “What? Yours was stupid, too.”

Ah, the shit you feel free to do when you're twenty-five.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 05-01-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typo!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    In real life, I’m not okay with being called dude. I do call everyone “guys” though. Online, I’m anonymous so IDGAF.
    Most of the time it isn't directed at the person, per se, more like.... DUDE! Can you believe that?

I think I actually most recently used that while talking to my female boss. She's uber Californian, so she was ok with it?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I pulled my guitars out of storage just before quarantine began and have been having fun playing and upgrading my gear. Well mostly. Lately gear has really been pissing me off.

First I tried my hand at building one of Kurt Ballou's pedals. I guess I fucked something up, and it didn't work. I ended up sending it as well as my old Ibanez TS5 Tubescreamer to someone to be fixed and modded. He was unable to fix the Ballou pedal, but I still had to pay $58 for the parts and labor on it. And the mod on the TS5 sucked and didn't work right, so I wound up having to replace it anyway.

Next I pre-ordered the new EQD Afterneath V3. It was supposed to come out on April 15. But EQD shut their facilities down and it's yet to be shipped. Not angry about this. Just adds to the gear disappointment I've been experiencing.

Then I order a power supply for my pedal board and some nice headphones at a good sale price from a seller on Reverb. They promptly send me a tracking number. It never updates. Looking back through their feedback history, while it's mostly positive, I can see that they've had this issue before. I message them about it. They claim it's been shipped and they'll look into it. A couple days later the tracking still hasn't been updated. I message them again, pointing out that I have accounts with all the major shipping companies and get emails when packages are sent to me, and I haven't received any emails about these items. They IMMEDIATELY refund me, while continuing to claim that the items have shipped and must have been lost. This is less than a week after they've supposedly shipped. Something was clearly very fishy there, but I had my money back. Unfortunately it cost me a lot more money to get the same power supply and a lower quality pair of headphones elsewhere as the price I paid before was a sale price.

Then ProAudioStar had a sweet sale on the DOD Rubberneck delay pedal. Mine arrived with the enclosure cracked, as well as several other damaged parts. It took several days to get any response from their customer service at all, then a full week to get them to send me a shipping label for the return, then a few more days than they claimed to ship the replacement. It still hasn't arrived. I might literally explode if it doesn't arrive in one piece at this point.

The last story is the wah pedal I ordered from another Reverb seller. It was used but listed as tested and working perfectly. At this point I'm sure anyone reading this will be shocked to hear, it wasn't working perfectly. The footswitch only works some of the time, and most of the time it just causes the audio to cut out entirely. After messaging the seller he initially asked if I would accept a partial refund. I have no use for a non-functioning pedal, so I said no. He accepted the return request last Friday, but as of this morning had yet to send me a shipping label for the return. I live chatted with Reverb today, and also sent the seller another message. He finally sent me a label a few minutes ago. He entered the weight at 1 pound. The pedal and box weigh more than 4. So now I have to wait until tomorrow and try to live chat with Reverb again as I really don't feel like dealing with this dude directly anymore.

This has all just been within the past month. I guess the one positive out of all this is I'm so fed up at this point that I probably won't buy any new gear for a while.

Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    It is the end of the semester and this shit has been rough for all of us. I understand that these are trying times and we are all dealing with our own shit.

But today I was part of a group that received a complaint about a Professor and in the middle of their 133942794 paragraph complaint, and I am ACTUALLY QUOTING HERE: "[Professor]'s behavior was reminiscent of literacy tests given to free black men who couldn't read or write and were then denied voting rights due to their inability to read and write."

All because the student was asked to clarify their understanding of a clinical concept that they seemed to not understand. And hilariously, the professor that requested the student clarify this concept was NOT the one the student was complaining about. The student was complaining about the Academic Director, not her Professor, but they both have the same first name and were on the email.

Then later in the day, this whitest of white students proclaimed that our institution is "run like we are in the Jim Crow south." Endlessly thankful that upper-level administration was included on the chain, as I wouldn't even know where to begin with that bullshit.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Doctor thinks my dad has Leukemia.

theyre doing tests. but he has all the symptoms.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post

I hope they come back negative & it's something simple & easy to cure.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post

I'm sorry. That must be really rough.