Page 223 of 263 FirstFirst ... 123 173 213 221 222 223 224 225 233 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,690 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    today is my birthday and two of my best friends didn't even text me to say "happy birthday"
    like...i don't need a gift, i don't need you to make a big deal. but is it that hard to send a fucking text? especially since i was talking to one of them and mentioned that i was doing birthday stuff. i don't get it
    well, to quote twitter, happy fucking birthday.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    today is my birthday and two of my best friends didn't even text me to say "happy birthday"
    like...i don't need a gift, i don't need you to make a big deal. but is it that hard to send a fucking text? especially since i was talking to one of them and mentioned that i was doing birthday stuff. i don't get it
    That sucks, I'm sorry. I know what that feels like, because my birthday is a handful of days before xmas, and none of my 'close' friends texted me on the day. Some sort of acknowledgement goes a long way. FWIW, congrats on another completed orbit around the sun.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    A student I've worked with closely recently died, and I'm nearly certain that she killed herself after getting dismissed from her program.

She wasn't even 40 yet, but was going blind and there was a lot of denial around that. She had always been a nurse, so the new disability necessitated a career change. She was having a very hard time adjusting to her new reality but it seemed to be going better lately. My coworker who has been blind his whole life told her a while back more or less... "Look, you don't have to like it, but this is your life now, and you have to adjust." after we were met with resistance on various interventions and supports.

It's come to light that she had nearly $150k in student loans, and a few people in my office are trying to see what we need to do in order to get them written off. But this involves obtaining a death certificate, and the only point of contact we really have for her is her daughter who is still in high school.

While all of this fucking sucks, the thing that's really getting to me is that I handle our emergency laptop loan program, and even though they are supposed to be short loans, I've always given her one for the whole semester for accessibility and software reasons. I let the Dean over tech stuff know that she had one checked out so they could write it off. But no. His response was to tell me to find out who her emergency contact was, and he would go meet them to pick it up. A low end laptop that's probably close to 5 years old, so it's worth nothing. So fucking unnecessary. This is a man who is usually pretty reasonable and student-centered, so I'm really hoping that I just caught him off-guard and his brain wasn't processing fast enough or something. Because man, what a shitty response.

My coworker went to her funeral, and instead of using it as an opportunity to celebrate her life, they took turns speaking where the main focus was to tell the teenage daughter that this was a sign that she needed to find jesus and all types of dumb religious shit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    That is horrible. In every way.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Sick and tired of hearing this backhanded insult "boomer" everywhere. Have some fucking respect for your elders, "millennials," and quit blaming others for YOUR problems.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Sick and tired of hearing this backhanded insult "boomer" everywhere. Have some fucking respect for your elders, "millennials," and quit blaming others for YOUR problems.
    1 - Not sure there's anything backhanded about it.
    2 - You did the same thing with millenials.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Respect is earned, not given, and funnily enough, our problems are a direct result of boomers controlling the government for decades, doing everything they could to ensure no one else ever experienced life as they had it, and still refusing to cede control of it to the people who have to live through the bullshit their endless idiotic decisions have resulted in for the little time we have left before total enconomic, social, and ecological collapse hit us.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ok boomer.

Spoiler: You know you asked for that, right?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    2 - You did the same thing with millenials.
    Sarcasm didn't come across there apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Respect is earned, not given, and funnily enough, our problems are a direct result of boomers controlling the government for decades, doing everything they could to ensure no one else ever experienced life as they had it, and still refusing to cede control of it to the people who have to live through the bullshit their endless idiotic decisions have resulted in for the little time we have left before total enconomic, social, and ecological collapse hit us.
    That's got nothing to do with a whole generation of people. The issues listed are wealthy vs everybody else. We live in a society where the upper class have unfairly taken far more than their fair share and saddled everyone else with the burden of maintaining the society that got them there in the first place.

Being an greedy asshole knows no age, young or old it doesn't matter.

edit: I'm 36 and have worked my ass off for everything I have, no hand outs, no help from my parents or the government. I haven't by any stretch gotten a "fair deal" but I've made the most out of the opportunities I've had.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-27-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Labels in general can fuck right off.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Labels in general can fuck right off.
    Fuckin A right!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Sarcasm didn't come across there apparently.

That's got nothing to do with a whole generation of people. The issues listed are wealthy vs everybody else. We live in a society where the upper class have unfairly taken far more than their fair share and saddled everyone else with the burden of maintaining the society that got them there in the first place.

Being an greedy asshole knows no age, young or old it doesn't matter.
    Well, see, that's not all entirely true. It doesn't only have to do with wealth but a lot of social issues as well. If that generation had been more open to, you know, decency and science, we may not be facing the issues that currently plague us.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Well, see, that's not all entirely true. It doesn't only have to do with wealth but a lot of social issues as well. If that generation had been more open to, you know, decency and science, we may not be facing the issues that currently plague us.
    Article on scientific achievements from the baby boomer generation...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS182429596720101222

(Artificial Heart, Apple II, the Internet, AED and portable dialysis machine, ECT)

And like I said before, you can be an asshole at any age. Generation has nothing to do with it. Remember Pharma Bro?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Article on scientific achievements from the baby boomer generation...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS182429596720101222

(Artificial Heart, Apple II, the Internet, AED and portable dialysis machine, ECT)

And like I said before, you can be an asshole at any age. Generation has nothing to do with it. Remember Pharma Bro?
    I never said a specific generation wasn't capable of amazing scientific achievements or compassion. HOWEVER, you'll find that the majority from that particular generation are probably not cut from that same cloth. Say what you want about Pharma Bro, but I'll bet he doesn't deny climate change.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I never said a specific generation wasn't capable of amazing scientific achievements or compassion. HOWEVER, you'll find that the majority from that particular generation are probably not cut from that same cloth. Say what you want about Pharma Bro, but I'll bet he doesn't deny climate change.
    The whole rejection of science issue isn't a generational thing though, it's political. Conservatives have brought it from a fringe/religious issue, where most people still accept science as fact, and combined it with their bases general distrust of government, and now you have people thinking that the Earth is really flat, GLOBAL WARMING doesn't exist and vaccines will give your kids autism. Now they use it as a device to separate themselfs from the "libs and Dems" and to push their anti consumer, pro big business agendas.

I heard someone "ok Boomer" somebody at work today, i didn't expect my post to snowball like this. Good stuff guys

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The whole rejection of science issue isn't a generational thing though, it's political. Conservatives have brought it from a fringe/religious issue, where most people still accept science as fact, and combined it with their bases general distrust of government, and now you have people thinking that the Earth is really flat, GLOBAL WARMING doesn't exist and vaccines will give your kids autism. Now they use it as a device to separate themselfs from the "libs and Dems" and to push their anti consumer, pro big business agendas.

I heard someone "ok Boomer" somebody at work today, i didn't expect my post to snowball like this. Good stuff guys
    It's absolutely not just a generational thing. That said, had these concepts been embraced earlier by the specific generation we're referencing here, there may not be as many from younger generations that believe idiotic things.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that one's a far-left issue as well for some fucking reason. great example of horseshoe politics.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Postal delivery workers have to be the biggest babies, one of the drivers complained that our mailbox wasn't accessible enough because of the snow. As a result our mail was withheld at the post office for what must have been 2 weeks at most, of course no one had the decency to call and let us know or at least leave a fucking notice behind. So yeah needless to say we thought something was strange when the box was continuously empty for so long, at first we didn't think anything of it because how the hell were we supposed to know? there could have just been no mail to deliver. Anyways I call bullshit over their complaint, it was perfectly fine getting to the box and they're just being lazy assholes that want a red carpet treatment.

Well cleared a little more snow out of the way for their royal highness and if they bitch about it now they can go fuck themselves.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    iTunes says I have 11GB free on my phone after syncing and adding some playlists. I pick up my phone and it says that "7 items that could not be synced, check iTunes for more information". iTunes does not have more information. further, when I check my storage on my phone it says I have 426MB free. That's a big fugging difference from 11GB!

I hate iTunes so much.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    iTunes says I have 11GB free on my phone after syncing and adding some playlists. I pick up my phone and it says that "7 items that could not be synced, check iTunes for more information". iTunes does not have more information. further, when I check my storage on my phone it says I have 426MB free. That's a big fugging difference from 11GB!

I hate iTunes so much.
    This is why I have iTunes Match

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Don’t really know where to put this but when is twitter going to ban Graham Linehan (or glinner)? - I think he’s actually gone a bit deranged, I can see him setting up a Glinnertown and having all the gender critical feminists following him to drink the kool aid. An absolute cult

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Don’t really know where to put this but when is twitter going to ban Graham Linehan (or glinner)? - I think he’s actually gone a bit deranged, I can see him setting up a Glinnertown and having all the gender critical feminists following him to drink the kool aid. An absolute cult
    i get so mad every time i remember how much of a transphobic fuckwad he is. and then i feel ashamed for loving IT Crowd & Black Books so much. ugh. he's a piece of shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    i get so mad every time i remember how much of a transphobic fuckwad he is. and then i feel ashamed for loving IT Crowd & Black Books so much. ugh. he's a piece of shit.
    He’s been a complete arse all of his time on twitter though, so considering his tweets have all been either dull, unfunny or just plain obnoxious I’m believing the humour of his shows was mostly his writing partners!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that and the performers. Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Tamsin Greig, Richard Ayoade, Chris O'Down, Katherine Parkinson, Chris Morris, Matt Berry, and Noel Fielding are all people I did not know about until those two shows. now I follow their careers and projects. Dylan helped write Black Books and it definitely showed.

also let's not forget:

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This might count. This also definitely shows how much I appreciate how ETS generally functions.

Anyway, when I enter a music section of a forum and barely see any threads dedicated to individual bands and musicians of any genre. This isn't to say catch-all threads, or threads dedicated to entire or multiple genres are wrong, but I'm also still far more interested in reading opinions on individual bands. ETS is just one of those forums that gives me that chance to read about conversations about one artist at a time, as opposed to just threads based on multiple musicians and genres going off all at once. It doesn't piss me off in so much an "I hate this shit! Screw this forum." (Since, as long as they allow threads on individual bands, I'm fine with that anyway.) type of way, but more like a "Damn it! I wanted to see conversations about actual bands in particular. But no. Just entire genres, random multiple artists and random songs. How frustrating."

I suppose it's because I've also always liked to focus on one band at a time whenever I listen to music, while always still being very much an album person.

Speaking of which, there are music sections that don't even discuss albums and discographies.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-11-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Traveling and seeing some mf wearing a MAGA Drump hat at an airport. I want to fly into a rage and scream at them, but I know it will do no good.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Did you see the article about how he lost half a year's pay because of his bigotry and people not wanting to work with him? LMFAO He's just isolating himself more and more and I kind of love to see it.

But yeah, I can't even put into words how horrible he is or the pain he has caused my community. He is a bully and a coward and a truly rotten, disgusting human being. But Twitter will never ban him. He would have been banned like two years ago if he was any of us common people. But because he's a "celebrity" he gets a pass. Which isn't the least bit shocking but it's pretty gross.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My sister-in-law's boyfriend acquired a bunch of old iMacs through his computer repair company; they gave us two of them saying I "might need to do something" to them. I plug one in and it works great so I give it to my brother-in-law. the second one though had a password on the computer and the boyfriend said he didn't know what it could be and that I should try reinstalling the OS via usb. the thing is it's fucking difficult to work with mac OS files and images on a windows computer.

Oh and they live in Bend and just flew off to Denver and Vietnam.

what I've done so far:

downloaded images of 10.9, 10.10., and 10.11 mac OS's.
    downloaded and installed TransMac to make mac-formatted usb drives
    used TransMac to make USB bootables using each of the above images.
    used PowerISO to try (and mostly fail) at making USB bootables; for some reason it hates the 10.10 and 10.11 images
    tried to used cmd line to convert the dmg images to ISOs; that worked but no better luck booting from ISO-created files

99% of the time when I boot holding the Command key it won't show me the USB drive at all. the 1% of the time it does it starts to do...something...and then five minutes later the apple icon turns into the circle with a line through it.

At least I know the exact model I'm working with: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/i...html#macspecs1

I feel like this poor USB drive is going to be dead before the weekend is out with how many times I've formatted and installed images on it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Did you see the article about how he lost half a year's pay because of his bigotry and people not wanting to work with him? LMFAO He's just isolating himself more and more and I kind of love to see it.

But yeah, I can't even put into words how horrible he is or the pain he has caused my community. He is a bully and a coward and a truly rotten, disgusting human being. But Twitter will never ban him. He would have been banned like two years ago if he was any of us common people. But because he's a "celebrity" he gets a pass. Which isn't the least bit shocking but it's pretty gross.
    Yes, he’s even alienated his own brother in law @flidby who keeps liking anti-glinner tweets.

You should watch the Newsnight interview where he gets taken apart by the interviewer to the point where his leg starts flapping in stress - he comes across as unhinged

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I saw that! It was beautiful.