Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 215 216 217
Results 6,481 to 6,510 of 6510

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I swear to god, diced tomatoes with green chilies used to come in 15 oz cans. Now all I can find are 10oz cans. Doesn't help when the recipe calls for 45 ounces.

What's worse is that now I can't tell if I'm just losing my damn mind and I've been making the recipe wrong this whole time, but I swear to god, those cans used to be 15 ounces. It's driving me absolutely insane.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I swear to god, diced tomatoes with green chilies used to come in 15 oz cans. Now all I can find are 10oz cans. Doesn't help when the recipe calls for 45 ounces.

What's worse is that now I can't tell if I'm just losing my damn mind and I've been making the recipe wrong this whole time, but I swear to god, those cans used to be 15 ounces. It's driving me absolutely insane.
    You're not crazy. Not about this, anyways. Seriously though, packaged portion sizes having been shrinking and food prices have either stayed the same or increased. There is a super long list of factors involved as to why, a lot of them related to rate of consumption vs economic sustainability, most of which is basically just a bullshit excuse to get more money from your wallet.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)

Ro-Tel brand used to come in 15-oz cans. Some stores still sell the larger Ro-Tel 28-oz cans. Del Monte and other brands sell 14.5-oz cans. I use Del Monte’s to make slow cooker Sante Fe chicken.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Not necessarily something that pissed me off, but -

Jump back 3-4 months, and I’m high as shit playing Xbox in my apartment when there’s a knock on my door at like 11 o’clock at night. It was my crazy-cute neighbor from a couple of apartments down, coming to my door to let me know I’d left my headlights on. I was caught off guard and mildly inebriated, expecting it to either be a family member dropping by or pretty much any of my other neighbors. I was like “oh shit, thanks! I’ll get that in a sec. You saved me from having to get a jump for sure,” she just smiled and said “no problem” and went back to her apartment, and that was that.

Jump back to tonight, around 3 am, and I woke up for some reason. Took the dog out for a walk, and couldn’t help but notice that HER headlights were left on. I walked around a bit, not wanting to bother anyone at 3 am, but after about 20 minutes we came back and they were still on. Lights were all on in her apartment through the window, so I thought...what the hell? I’ll give it a little knock, and if no one answers then no big deal. Not trying to bother anyone or wake anybody up. So I’m nervous as hell, anxious about how it’s gonna look, standing there in the dark, when the patio light comes on, aaand...another guy opens her door. He was cool and said thanks and have a good night n shit, but...blah. I was kinda hoping I’d speak with her. Not that I have any reason to think anything would happen by any means, and I’m not about to be presumptuous for a number of reasons. I’m just not great when it comes to things like that and wanted to say something like “hey, this, and also sorry for being a stoned a-hole last time when you helped me. I’m Branson, by the way, have a good night.” I dunno, have a funny way of returning the favor, right?

Glad her headlights got shut off, but bleh. The guy answering just killed the vibe for me, hah. I shouldn’t give a damn, and I really don’t after it’s all said and done, but for a second there it seemed like it was a good idea. Bummer. Oh well! Back to bed I s’pose.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    No water in my house since yesterday, happened once before but back then it was really cold, don't know what's wrong now, things inside drilled well (my own) look OK, power is OK... and of course I had washing machine running at the time, so what else than put wet things out and let them dry. Nearest mall is 2 km away and I have no money anyway right now (payment should come tomorrow I hope), so yesterday and today I just walked 3 km, 300 meters climb to a well in the forest, good thing that I walk around the forests here often so I know it's there (picture). On wet (it is raining) footpaths destroyed by rampant tree harvesting which is going on just everywhere in this country like there is no tommorrow. And this place was empty and quiet when I bought the property and now it's just a building site with noise all the time and people walking below and staring into windows. And I'm constantly out of money and house will really be mine in 2036. And I'm fucking alone for everything and sometimes, like now, I'm just thinking about giving up, sell everything, quit job, and go disappear with some money to enjoy few nice days and then kill myself. I quit drinking almost 3 years ago, and what do I have now. I wanted to record some music, but for whom, nobody listens to music anymore. What I got from the things I wrote or recorded before? And the one woman I love so much is right now on holiday... with her husband. ;-) Haha... just kill me already.

(edit: yeah self-pity is silly, this will pass)
    Last edited by Substance242; 12-09-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Ro-Tel brand used to come in 15-oz cans. Some stores still sell the larger Ro-Tel 28-oz cans. Del Monte and other brands sell 14.5-oz cans. I use Del Monte’s to make slow cooker Sante Fe chicken.
    I don't think there's a single store here that sells Del Monte. All I can find are Rotel, store brand (which I swear to christ were also 14.5), and sometimes Hunts. I think I've seen the 28s at one store, but that still doesn't help for a recipe that calls for 45oz. It gets me closer (pair it with two 10s, I guess). But I'm a stickler for using the right numbers when it comes to the kitchen, even when I'm not baking (which is when numbers really do need to be spot-on).

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    45 Oz ... that’s a whole lotta tomatoes

My cupboard currently has a bunch of cans of diced Contadina tomatoes, 14.5 ounces (must’ve been on sale). Jewel (Safeway) and Mariano’s (Kroger) stores here in Chicagoland sell that brand.

I hate it when recipes call for 2 Tb of tomato paste. I used to use a portion of a small can of it and throw out the rest until I found tubes of tomato paste.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 12-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Hmm, maybe this is a Berenstein Bears type of situation?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Hmm, maybe this is a Berenstein Bears type of situation?
    I keep wondering if it's the Mandella Effect at play. But I feel like my recipes would've been coming out like shit if one of five ingredients had been completely wrong. And it's also something that I've been doing actively for the last couple years, so it's not like "I swear, 20 years ago, this was different". I literally just made it a couple weeks ago too, using cans I still had in my cupboards from the last time I stocked up. If only I hadn't recycled them already, I could've dug through to check them out.

45 Oz ... that’s a whole lotta tomatoes

My cupboard currently has a bunch of cans of diced Contadina tomatoes, 14.5 ounces (must’ve been on sale). Jewel (Safeway) and Mariano’s (Kroger) stores here in Chicagoland sell that brand.

I hate it when recipes call for 2 Tb of tomato paste. I used to use a portion of a small can of it and throw out the rest until I found tubes of tomato paste.
    All the diced tomatoes except the ones with chilies are still 14.5oz here. It's only the ones with the chilies that are smaller.

And I just did a 2Tbsp tomato paste recipe today. I did the same thing - at 39 cents a can, I'm using what I need and chucking the rest. Gotta look for those tubes!!

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    @theimage13 i feel like trader joes has fire roasted tomatoes with chiles in a 14.5oz can, but i don't know if there are any around you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You're def not losing your mind. Those are my fav.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Gettin’ really tired of the ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ “controversy.” Mainly because if you’re like me and couldn’t have a more indifferent feeling toward the song, that gets perceived as seething and misguided hatred somehow?

”WHAT? SCROOGE! YOU HATE CHRISTMAS. YOU JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND. YOU MUST THINK IT’S ABOUT RAPE CULTURE. HERE, READ THIS NINE-PARAGRAPH TUMBLR POST EXPLAINING THE HIGHLY-COMPLEX LYRICS LINE BY LINE. GUYS IT WAS WRITTEN BY AN ENGLISH PROFESSOR. HERE, LOOK AT THIS OTHER POST WITH TEN VIDEOS OF PERFORMANCES OF THE SONG. WATCH THEM ALL. DO IT. WATCH THEM ALL. ALL HAIL ‘BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE.’ ALL HAIL!!!”

Is it at all possible, just maybe...that I just don’t have a strong feeling one way or another about...one particular Christmas song? Is that so unacceptable? I can’t just “like” a good majority of them and not care for others, I have to ABSOLUTELY LOVE or ABSOLUTELY HATE them all? :/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm already getting tired of christmas songs...but then i hate them all...and christmas in general ( i have to have 2 weeks off due to office shut down and i spend a few days with my pretty racist family and then spend the rest of the time alone as everyone else i know are enjoying their family's company...it can get pretty isolating/depressing) I'd honestly rather be working.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ring Pro video doorbell. This is day 33 and up until yesterday, problems were frustrating but minimal. It often loses connection the Chime Pro for whatever reason and then needs to be reconnected by resetting the doorbell because WiFi is such a new technology that you can't just drop a connection and pick it back up yet. Hopefully in the next decade or two. Anyway, because of the placement of the doorbell wires, there's maybe 1/2" space between the side of the Ring and the brick column it's next to, so I have to take off the faceplate and then use a really small Allen wrench to trip the reset button. It's extremely annoying and these issues requiring a rest only seem to happen after dark.

Last night, something really weird happened: the Ring just shut off and couldn't be turned back on no matter what. After some searching, someone on Youtube had the same issue and ultimately, you have to remove the faceplate, remove the doorbell from wherever it's attached, and then unscrew either of the wires and reattach it. I did this (after turning off what I thought was the fuse for the entire front of the house but apparently doesn't include the doorbell) and the stupidly tiny security screw that keeps the faceplate locked on fell into the mulch next to the front door of course, but the Ring did reconnect immediately.

It's bad enough that the night vision camera is completely worthless--it doesn't even pick me up when I'm standing directly in front of it less than 3 feet away, moving frantically--but now I have to worry about it not only dropping connection to the network because WiFi is so tricky and unreliable but it also deciding at any time that more than enough electrical current is suddenly not enough to power it any longer? What a piece of shit.

I would not recommend a Ring doorbell of any variety to anyone for any reason.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Ring Pro video doorbell.
    Whoa man that sucks.

FWIW we have had a SkyBell HD for about a year and we LOVE it. We had a bit of trouble with it for a few weeks, initially, but I called customer service and they updated the firmware remotely and it’s been flawless ever since. We use an Apple Extreme wireless router that’s pretty far away from the front door (in the basement), so we also have an Airport Express in the living room that bumps it up to what SkyBell deems “fair” which is average for most users. It works great with our Apple watches, too.

The freakiest part was in the summer, when my phone would make that distinctive “BrrrrrEEEEEENG” sound meaning the SkyBell detected movement ... and it was, like, THREE A.M. I’d be like OMG then I’d look at the porch, nothing.

Then I’d look at the recorded footage AT A SPIDER CRAWLING ACROSS THE CAMERA omg lol. Happened all friggin’ summer.

The power supply IS an important issue with these doorbell cameras, though. It's why we had ours professionally installed with our security system. I had NO idea if the power supply to our old doorbell (house was built in 1956) was adequate (it was), but if you look this up online the power supply issue is HUGE. (You should also be able to control the camera sensitivity as well as the night vision sensitivity in your phone app.)

Last edited by Cat Mom; 12-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Then I’d look at the recorded footage AT A SPIDER CRAWLING ACROSS THE CAMERA omg lol. Happened all friggin’ summer.
    Gross.

The power supply IS an important issue with these doorbell cameras, though. It's why we had ours professionally installed with our security system. I had NO idea if the power supply to our old doorbell (house was built in 1956) was adequate (it was), but if you look this up online the power supply issue is HUGE.
    Yeah, and it's definitely not an issue with WiFi signal strength or power levels. Minimum voltage required is 3900mV and at the moment, it's at 4,048mV and I've seen it as high as ~4,500mV. Maybe it was due to massive power draws yesterday because we were having the insulation in both attics (never buy a split-level house) removed and replaced and they had a number of high-powered lights and blowing/sucking units running, one of which required the 220v outlet the dryer uses. Now that I'm thinking about it, that does make sense. Maybe it was a momentary drop in voltage because there were numerous parts throughout the day where lights dimmed/flickered due to power draw and the furnace was running pretty much nonstop due to the open doors and and windows.

The WiFi there's no excuse for. We've got 250Mbps Blast Pro Xtreme (or something equally lame) from Comcast through an AirPort Extreme. The chime has 100% signal and is in 25 feet back in a straight, unobstructed line from the doorbell. It's infuriating.

(You should also be able to control the camera sensitivity as well as the night vision sensitivity in your phone app.)
    They must've changed something then because there are absolutely no controls for night vision and the only other control besides setting the motion zones it should focus on is a 5-point slider ranging from "people only" to "all activity" and I've spent way more time than I care to admit with that slider. From what I've gathered on Reddit, they introduced an update back in August that forces night vision whereas before, oftentimes it would stay on the daytime camera which actually works. It used to be great before that update but since then, there have been nonstop complaints very similar to mine. It's very frustrating.

Everything I read about competitors seems like there are similar or different-but-equally-frustrating issues with them and there's no perfect solution. I feel like the only real option is to either get rid of it and go back to a regular doorbell or stick with the known the quantity unless it gets substantially worse. Regarding the night vision, I'm considering jury rigging a mirror to reflect more light onto the Ring so that it keeps the regular daytime camera on. My wife put a ribbon on the light right above the Ring and for the first few days, one of the pieces hanging down was reflecting enough light that it kept the daytime camera on and it actually worked throughout the night. Of course a slight breeze shifted the ribbon ever so slightly and now it's back to night vision.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    I have a porch light that I leave on so lighting is not an issue for us and the picture is gorgeous. FWIW.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Same. The Ring is directly beneath it but it's not enough light somehow.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Same. The Ring is directly beneath it but it's not enough light somehow.
    Here is a download from my SkyBell HD from a few minutes ago (6:58 pm): https://imgur.com/a/Jj6qzuZ

Don’t know if this is the quality you’re looking for or not.

I can see across the street. My porch light isn’t very bright. SkyBell allows me to change the color of its built-in light, so right now it’s red for Christmas

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Here is a download from my SkyBell HD from a few minutes ago (6:58 pm): https://imgur.com/a/Jj6qzuZ

Don’t know if this is the quality you’re looking for or not.

I can see across the street. My porch light isn’t very bright. SkyBell allows me to change the color of its built-in light, so right now it’s red for Christmas
    Damn, that's what I want. That's how the Ring is when the regular camera stays on at night. I tried to find an archived video from nighttime but of course there aren't any. Sigh. If I wasn't so hamstrung with the placement of this thing being right next to the brick column, I don't think I'd have any issues. I suppose we could always have someone come out and rewire the doorbell, placing it elsewhere.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Yeah, that might be a good idea. Ours is right next to our door. The SkyBell archives our footage for, like, EVER I think. I have to go into my app and delete them so they don't gunk up my app, LOL.

I had some pretty funny ones from Halloween.

It's currently set on the highest HD, and I'm really surprised at how CLEAR it is. Really, if you saw how friggin' DIM my porch light is, you'd shit. We don't want tons of bugs in the summer. It isn't nearly as bright as it looks in that download footage. And it was already pretty damned dark out when that was captured at 6:58 pm.

Edit: It archives about a week.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 12-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ignorant, judgemental people who invent stereotypes for you where none exist.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Glitter. Seriously, fuck that shit that embeds in your skin/desk top, clothes, steering wheel, etc.

I hope the masochist who invented that crap ended their final breath by choking on it. Heh.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Glitter. Seriously, fuck that shit that embeds in your skin/desk top, clothes, steering wheel, etc.

I hope the masochist who invented that crap ended their final breath by choking on it. Heh.
    Two years ago, for Christmas, one of the office staff here thought it would be cute to shoot a slow-mo video of her blowing a full handful glitter into the air in front of a Christmas tree. Inside the main lobby. On textured tile floor.

I was livid, and (without exploding on her or anything like that) I made sure she knew why, as the person who CLEANS THAT FLOOR, I wasn’t happy with it. To this day there’s still bits of it in the cracks and creases of the tile. That shit NEVER goes away.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Two years ago, for Christmas, one of the office staff here thought it would be cute to shoot a slow-mo video of her blowing a full handful glitter into the air in front of a Christmas tree. Inside the main lobby. On textured tile floor.

I was livid, and (without exploding on her or anything like that) I made sure she knew why, as the person who CLEANS THAT FLOOR, I wasn’t happy with it. To this day there’s still bits of it in the cracks and creases of the tile. That shit NEVER goes away.
    I never liked it, but the tipping point for me was about 15 years ago. I was working part time at a dollar store during the holidays and that crap would stick to my hands and is near impossible to get ALL of it off. Shit embedded to the steering wheel of my Jeep. I traded the Jeep in back in March of 2012, with glitter still on the steering wheel. I couldn't wipe it off, and wasn't about to put pock marks in the wheel by attempting to stab it with a scalpel. Ugh.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^ tape.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    ^^ tape.
    I tried stuff, after awhile it was just embedded. Didn’t wanna goncrazy with cleaning products and turn the steering wheel into mush.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There is a guy in the office that brought in a xmas clock. Fine, great decorate for the holidays, more power to ya. This fucking thing goes off every hour on the hour playing xmas music... It is taking every ounce of my patience not to smash that tinny, obnoxious noise maker into a thousand pieces.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Why the hell are we abbreviating "Private Messages" as "DM" here and everywhere else? Instagram is stupid...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    Why the hell are we abbreviating "Private Messages" as "DM" here and everywhere else? Instagram is stupid...
    Because they're direct messages, and given how rampant phishing attacks are, "private" can be a bit of a misnomer.