Blame me!!!!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I always get blamed for everything!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    @Pillfred I'll be your lady friend. lol

Okay! I must tell you i have a work girlfriend or so people at work say. Now perhaps i can has an internet lady friend as well. If I ever get an actual girlfriend I hope she can deal with it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Okay! I must tell you i have a work girlfriend or so people at work say. Now perhaps i can has an internet lady friend as well. If I ever get an actual girlfriend I hope she can deal with it.
    Haha!!!! Deal!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Transcribing interviews conducted in a loud restaurant w/90 yr old men who mumble and have a Louisianan accent. Never again. I don't care how much it pays.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so, I've been going to this audio engineering school, and while it's been really great for the most part, there's some little things that bug me.

Today, this class is showing us FX in Pro Tools, and they bring up Audio Suite (which essentially prints the effect onto the track). A student raised his hand and asked "Is there anything like that in Logic?" The instructor basically replies by saying "Logic, pfffffffff.... This is one of the many things that Pro Tools excels at, and Logic can't do it."

Maybe I'm just getting tired of this "Logic sucks!" attitude that people are slinging around, but I raised my hand and said "well, in Logic you can freeze tracks." This is in addition to the ability to bounce-in-place, and the sample editor panel, which basically works around a lot of the pitching/timing functions of audio suite.

The guy gives me this exhausted "you dumb fuck" look, and then says "Yes... you can freeze tracks in Logic, but since that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about, let's move on."

Ummmmmm... It's pretty much the exact same thing, and the equivalent feature in Logic! How does that have "absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about?" It's the answer to the guy's question! Maybe in the future you should take a less arrogant approach and just admit "I don't really know much about Logic," instead of being a condescending dick about it.

To make it more irritating, he ends each tutorial segment by asking "any questions about that?" I got a snarky combative response to a question I asked, and another student did too... so are you surprised when nobody asks you a fucking question? So as the lecture rolls along, he starts giving this "humph, Ok, I guess you guys know everything" eye roll look when nobody asks a question.

Irritating as hell.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The little things that piss you off

I have college prof friends who would explain that the REASON for that is because there is a syllabus, a set time schedule, and any diversions take the entire program off track; if you guys wanted to discuss it after class it'd probably be cool, but in the midst of the set program / lecture for that day, you might not get through all the points you had to get through if you dwelled on an off-point diversion too long. And yeah some profs hate that people don't "get" that. And some teachers are just dicks.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I understand time limitations and urgency when giving a lecture, but my contribution to that was basically a couple seconds where I answered the guy's question. The teacher's attitude was completely out of line. We didn't need to take a detour where we explain how to use the freeze function in Logic, I can easily show the guy how to do it after class.

Maybe what bothers me more is the misinformation. If the student had just accepted the answer given by the teacher, he'd be walking away with some new and completely wrong information.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I know, I hear you. But you're right, after class. College is how you play the game. A very expensive game. If the student wanted to know about Logic, he was obviously in the wrong class.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-09-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I know, I hear you. But you're right, after class. College is how you play the game. A very expensive game. If the student wanted to know about Logic, he was obviously in the wrong class.
    Well, to be fair, the class was more centered around the use of plugin effects in general. Pro Tools was just the application the guy was running for the demonstration. It definitely pertained to the discussion at hand. They aren't exclusively teaching us one production software environment, though some times it feels that way when instructors bash other programs they aren't familiar with.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

That's another problem with college: they only teach the stuff for which they receive a giant discount. If this guy is SUPPOSED to be ALSO teaching you Logic, that's another story. Maybe you guys should take it up with him.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    If this guy is SUPPOSED to be ALSO teaching you Logic, that's another story. Maybe you guys should take it up with him.
    Well, as part of our tuition, we effectively purchased Logic, and we've had more classes dedicated to it so far than Pro Tools... I totally hear what you're saying though.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Is this guy an adjunct? Just curious about that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Maybe he just hates Logic
    Last edited by allegro; 05-10-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    he's a permanent employee there, but not one of the main instructors that we get. This was our first lecture with him. Usually he's grading student projects, giving skills tests on gear, etc.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    That's probably true! Still, I've been running into people there who will quickly bash Logic, especially while declaring Pro Tools infinitely superior... and then they'll throw a criticism at Logic that is just not true. People are forgetting that up until relatively recently, Pro Tools couldn't even compete with basic MIDI functionality with its competing DAWs...

I just realized I've gone into full on dork mode. Time for a break.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Are these instructors "in the business" or just in academia?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Are these instructors "in the business" or just in academia?
    Some of them... pretty sure this guy is just employed with the school. Which would explain some of the problem with his extensive understanding of various programs, but it doesn't excuse his shitty attitude.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i hate how emotional being tired and sleep deprived makes me. waaaah.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Or doesn't know it as well as ProTools and doesn't want to admit it in front of the class.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Waking up with a sinus headache. this is no bueno.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Needing to pee more than I would like.
    A little thing that *pisses me off.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Youtube comment from some ass hat for Werner Herzog's documentary about the perils of texting and driving:

"I just drove 50 minutes in my car to take an exam and I studied written materials the whole way there. And it was raining. And I even got off a few texts. And I ate dinner. How did I accomplish this amazing feat???? I know how to drive...
    You may insist that driving requires full attention, but there are people who can and do drive completely black out drunk. There are people who drive successfully that are so high they are practically in a coma. And then there are people who drive while putting on makeup or changing clothes or whatever else. It doesn't take full attention, and I'm tired of people saying that it does...
    Morons are the problem. But I'm not the moron you're looking for. I just drove 30 miles today with my knees only while I ate sushi, with chopsticks. If that were, de facto, so dangerous, as you insist, why is it that I've never gotten in a collision?"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Youtube comment
    Why would you subject yourself to something like that?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Bought a pair of cheap Converse at target 3 weeks ago, the soles are already blow out and almost gone i give them two more weeks tops before i am walking on my socks. I knew they wouldn't last long but still that is pretty ridiculous.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    The shenanigans and ridiculousness of trying to get a damn plumber over to my office to fix the drain issue one (and thank fuck it's only one, we all eat lunch together and plaaaaates and that's my responsibility to deal with) of our dishwashers is having. I first called on WEDNESDAY. Then I was out sick until Friday, then someone gets there Friday, say that have to take down my info and get an estimate and it'll be 20-40 minutes, and then nothing happens for the rest of the day in spite of me calling multiple times about it. I'm just going to annoy them until I get this crap fixed. They could at least string me along and give me an illusion that something was happening. :/

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Being messy still irritates me. I'll admit that I sometimes slip up from either being too busy, or too lazy, but I also still can't imagine living that way for years on end. Seeing Hoarders on YouTube has also quickly reminded me why I should never ever get too lazy to organize and clean up. It's not only inconvenient and annoying, but dangerous as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    That goes beyond lazy and goes into "Severe mental health disorder", though.