Page 245 of 263 FirstFirst ... 145 195 235 243 244 245 246 247 255 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,350 of 7887

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @allegro , crazily enough, weather radios don't work up here.
    On old maps, this area of the country was literally called 'No Man's Land,' and it hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So, starting work on a rainy monday morning, 6 am.
    My routine demands the absent minded walk to the coffee machine in our office kitchen, first thing in the morning.

Today, all parts of the coffee machine in the dishwasher.
    Dishes all still dirty since the latest cleaning crew newbie apparently can't figure out how to start a dishwasher
    Anyway, at 6 am I'm willing to do almost anything for coffee. So I'm taking my mug through half the fucking facility to the closest canteen where there's an overpriced and low quantity (I need COFFEE, not a shot of coffee) WMF machine, only to find the WMF maintenance guy in front of it telling me it'll be another 30 mins.

Aggravated, I'm stomping back through the facility maze and decided on handwashing the coffee machine parts and get it running, before I end up killing someone before the day has even started.
    I really should have my first coffee at home but it just never happens. It's get up and do your job time..

First world problems.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    So, starting work on a rainy monday morning, 6 am.
    My routine demands the absent minded walk to the coffee machine in our office kitchen, first thing in the morning.

Today, all parts of the coffee machine in the dishwasher.
    Dishes all still dirty since the latest cleaning crew newbie apparently can't figure out how to start a dishwasher
    Anyway, at 6 am I'm willing to do almost anything for coffee. So I'm taking my mug through half the fucking facility to the closest canteen where there's an overpriced and low quantity (I need COFFEE, not a shot of coffee) WMF machine, only to find the WMF maintenance guy in front of it telling me it'll be another 30 mins.

Aggravated, I'm stomping back through the facility maze and decided on handwashing the coffee machine parts and get it running, before I end up killing someone before the day has even started.
    I really should have my first coffee at home but it just never happens. It's get up and do your job time..

First world problems.
    I figure if the docs tell me I have to go without coffee, that will be the sign that its time to get my affairs in order.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ditto.
    Colleague still makes fun of me for a business trip years ago. Took me forever to find him at breakfast (dick was sitting in a corner), and then this asian waitress comes up to me and keeps babbling about breakfast choices and orders, with the heaviest accent. I did not even catch one thing. He had to translate every single thing and according to him I was completely absent. I don't remember most of it.. caffeine is my drug of choice.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    After throwing myself into graduate school for the last three years (while working full-time) and receiving A or A+ grades the entire time, I got a single A- in my last term. In my fucking thesis course.

I will hate this forever.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Don’t beat yourself up too much. It’s still an A!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    After throwing myself into graduate school for the last three years (while working full-time) and receiving A or A+ grades the entire time, I got a single A- in my last term. In my fucking thesis course.

I don't know any field where the GPA matters in a graduate degree. I got a B+ in my statistics course. Never once did anyone ask about my GPA, they just wanted to see my Masters certificate.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

I’m instantly reminded of this, lol.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    GPAs don't mean shit. I know you worked hard, and I'm sure you deserved the +, but don't beat yourself up. It's all about the paper.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I know it doesn’t mean anything professionally, but it meant a lot personally. And I’m sure maintaining that 4.0 would have been better for doctoral applications if that day comes. I decided to sit out last application cycle because Zoom school fucking sucks.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I know it doesn’t mean anything professionally, but it meant a lot personally. And I’m sure maintaining that 4.0 would have been better for doctoral applications if that day comes. I decided to sit out last application cycle because Zoom school fucking sucks.
    Eh, honestly I've seen the vetting process for doctoral programs, I don't think 3.9 vs 4.0 is going to be a huge deal.
    Funnily enough, the WORST undergrad honors student we took on for a senior project - he had the highest rank in his class. Kid was a nightmare in so many ways.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, because good grades don't give you people skills, resilience and resources and all the shit you need to succeed in a job.
    A nerd that can solve you multiple lines full of indefinite integrals and other bullshit doesn't know when (and when not) and how (and how not) to tell people to fuck off and do their jobs.
    I just had the honor twice today, telling our manager technical affairs how to fucking do his job while an hour later I have to explain another department to not assume and do what is my department's job, telling them that in the future they won't get any support for extra-urgent-the-apocalypse-will-start-and-fire-will-rain-from-the-sky-if-not-done-by-yesterday-projects, if this happens again. Since apparently they know better than we do.
    All in a friendly manner. Sometimes I swear I could use blood pressure pills.

I think this reply just unintentionally turned into my own little piss off post, haha.
    Anyhow:
    Wouldn't say a GPA doesn't matter at all, specifically if aiming for grad school / PhD / highly regarded company (depending what stage you're at), but 3.9 or 4... Whatever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Needing to verify a phone number before one can get onto the NIN discord server. Not a fan of all of that especially when being somebody with minimal social media presence out of figurative spite against the gathering of data.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So, I tried to listen to this guy's point of view for a long time. I like to think that I'm open minded. He even made a few good points here and there. But, it seems that he's realized that the more blatantly right wing he becomes, the more attention he gets. This is the one where he finally managed to piss me off.
    And he does it, amazingly, in the first twenty seconds or so, by suggesting that abortion kills more "kids" than guns.

You guys think Public Enemy and Rakim saw THIS bullshit coming?

If you listen REALLY close in this song, you can hear the ghosts of Pac and Eazy E moaning in disapproval.

Quikly skimmed trough the video. he is complaining about millennials but he is one himself as he is 32 years old (according to google), the oldest Millenials are at the end of their 30's by now. For the rest: sounds like a hypocrite looking for an excuse.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    Quikly skimmed trough the video. he is complaining about millennials but he is one himself as he is 32 years old (according to google), the oldest Millenials are at the end of their 30's by now. For the rest: sounds like a hypocrite looking for an excuse.
    I'm MOSTLY annoyed with the "straight white male" persecution complex bullshit.

The other thing is, HE'S complaining about everything, while I'm just over here kicking it old school.

So, who's the snowflake again?

Idk, though. I like to hear dissenting voices.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'd be REALLY mad at the professor, I'm afraid.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I don't know any field where the GPA matters in a graduate degree. I got a B+ in my statistics course. Never once did anyone ask about my GPA, they just wanted to see my Masters certificate.
    She’s in social work and going for her PhD. She’s also been relying on grants and stuff.

I'd be REALLY mad at the professor, I'm afraid.
    ME, TOO.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2021 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    probably shouldn't even be mentioning this but i've had a stalker for a few years now. not sure if they're still actually a board member here or if it's someone who got booted and just has it out for me. but they have repeatedly done things to try to fuck up my life, always THROUGH sarah. this has happened multiple times, and is really creepy and fucked up.

the other day, after i had dealt with a piece of shit TERF lesbian on a dating app, sarah and i both got tagged on some random IG post in a comment from this a-hole bashing/misgendering me and telling sarah to "kick me to the curb," etc.

so, dear stalker, if you are reading this, my life is amazing right now. the best it's ever been, literally. you have no power over me. leave sarah alone, because she doesn't give a shit about anything you have to say. and i don't hide things from her, even though we're not together anymore. your efforts have failed, unless your goal is to make her super uncomfortable, in which case good job!
    also, i'm not regina george, why are you obsessed with me? get your shit together and find something better to do with your time.

love,
    mae

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I hate having to explain to friends on Facebook that the seemingly harmless cute viral video they just posted was shared by a far-right bootlicking 'news' organization, beloved by Donald Trump, and by re-sharing it through their page they are subtly influencing the algorithmic slant social media will have on their and all their friends' worldview.

FYI: the page is "Trending World by The Epoch Times"
    Last edited by botley; 06-15-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I hate having to explain to friends on Facebook that the seemingly harmless cute viral video they just posted was shared by a far-right bootlicking 'news' organization, beloved by Donald Trump, and by re-sharing it through their page they are subtly influencing the algorithmic slant social media will have on their and all their friends' worldview.
    In general, I am horrified by how much more commonplace the concept of an influencing algorithm is going to become in general parlance, and how we're going to need to have this be a thing we consider all the time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Of course. Basic media literacy skills should include it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I had to work from home on Wednesday because UPS was supposed to deliver my new TV. At 1:45pm they send me a notice that "they missed me." Assholes - I was home all day! Waited around another day today, and I really could have been in the office. Being on my own and working from home isn't good for me mentally. I need the interaction.

At 3pm a knock on the door - the fucker just left it against the wall outside my door - with a 3" hole in the middle of it. Sure enough, the screen is cracked. I now have to wait until June 22 to get a replacement delivered and hope they don't fuck this one up as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sucks. The joy of postal services.. Hope you get it replaced without too much hassle.
    It wasn't until Covid-19 that I had the urge to go back to a "real" store and touch "real" stuff before buying it. I normally hate going into stores. But I started missing some of it. Bookstores for example. That just sucks online, it's not the same.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So my best, oldest friend's wife died. I'd been friends with HER for 20 years.
    It was liver bullshit. She had a bunch of damage from drinking and hep c, and she ALMOST died in 2019.
    Then, she got the cure, and was supposed to stop drinking, but I guess she secretly started again.

This is like, number 9 or 10 for me, of deaths to drugs/alcohol/suicide.

They have two kids: one being 4, and one, 10.

This sucks. It makes ME sad, but I REALLY feel bad for him and the kids

This is the friend with whom I got into NIN; we've been close since 88 or so. I sent him Beside You In Time, (the song, I mean.)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    So my best, oldest friend's wife died. I'd been friends with HER for 20 years.
    It was liver bullshit. She had a bunch of damage from drinking and hep c, and she ALMOST died in 2019.
    Then, she got the cure, and was supposed to stop drinking, but I guess she secretly started again.

This is like, number 9 or 10 for me, of deaths to drugs/alcohol/suicide.

They have two kids: one being 4, and one, 10.

This sucks. It makes ME sad, but I REALLY feel bad for him and the kids

This is the friend with whom I got into NIN; we've been close since 88 or so. I sent him Beside You In Time, (the song, I mean.)
    I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. That's a lot of history.
    I don't have words, just some virtual energy thoughts that I'm sending.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. That's a lot of history.
    I don't have words, just some virtual energy thoughts that I'm sending.
    Thanks, but, good GOD, I can't imagine it for HIM, especially.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I had to work from home on Wednesday because UPS was supposed to deliver my new TV. At 1:45pm they send me a notice that "they missed me." Assholes - I was home all day! Waited around another day today, and I really could have been in the office. Being on my own and working from home isn't good for me mentally. I need the interaction.

At 3pm a knock on the door - the fucker just left it against the wall outside my door - with a 3" hole in the middle of it. Sure enough, the screen is cracked. I now have to wait until June 22 to get a replacement delivered and hope they don't fuck this one up as well.
    Funnily enough I just watched this today.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just got tossed out of a fucking discussion group, talking about JK Rowling and transphobia...
    Maybe I just got completely misunderstood, or maybe I missed the point of this group.
    But my comment was basically "I never understood the hype around this Harry Potter shit, so if the author said some stupid shit, bonus."

It was a joke. I'm not transphobic. I'm not "making light of things." The moderator of the group responded with "wow, so much to unpack there, but how about we just say goodbye to you and your obvious baggage."

That's a really shitty way to frame what I was saying. yeah, it's a joke... but don't try to make me out to be some kind of bigot because I jokingly basically said "I think Harry Potter is bullshit, and so is transphobia."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Some people can't handle a different opinion - I don't know if it has something to do with ego, inferiority or superiority complexes, fear, control, interfering..
    And some people can't read humor, either... if I think about how often I got myself into weird situations thanks to my dark humor and people absolutely not getting it.. meh. Who cares? Don't need to please people. Well, maybe in some situations. That's when you have to play the game, sure, but otherwise? You can't handle a straightforward personality? Not my problem..

On the upside regarding shipping companies: I just received a package from the US this weekend that I only ordered like 10 days ago. And I did not have to deal with customs bullshit. I'm delightfully surprised.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Regarding my friend's death, I'm also getting tired of this "she didn't want a funeral" business.

I was making arrangements to go to Dallas to be with her husband and what's left of our friend group, to get a little closure and pay my respects, and then I get word that there will be no funeral.

It occurred to me that this was the FOURTH "she didn't like funerals so she asked that there not be one" in a fucking ROW for me.

I love these people to death, and it's like, yeah, I respect their wishes, but a funeral isn't exactly for YOU. It's for everyone ELSE.