Page 244 of 263 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 254 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,320 of 7888

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you @allegro . I'm currently freelancing, but I don't make that much, so I would like something more stable. I'm kinda tired of not having a more clear schedule. Guess I just need to keep on trying.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yesterday I was watering my plants, and I guess I over-watered one. Water leaked all over the counter where a new box of bandaids was sitting.
    Today I was chopping vegetables, and I cut my finger. It's rush hour, and I'm loathe to deal with people right now....so I guess I'm doing yoga tonight with a paper towel taped over my index finger. Because nothing gets blood running to your fingers more than planks and downward facing dog.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    We've had this Labrador puppy for a few months. She runs off with my shit.

Today, she took my watch. And the watch is, like, GONE.

I LOOOOVE that fucking watch.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Sooooo I ordered a tv stand from Wayfair, and it arrived on Wednesday. It was damaged by UPS, so the top was slightly scratched. Rather than wait for mid-June for a replacement, I opted to take a discount (it was the principle that I wasn't paying full price for a damaged item/ the scratch wasn't that bad). The rep said they would cancel the replacement.

Today I drove 40 min to a different Best Buy to pick up a 55" tv.....only to find out that it didn't fit in my trunk with the seats pushed down. So I drove all the way home, and.....there's another tv stand by my apartment door. The box is damaged on the sides as well. WTF?

I get on Wayfair to chat with another rep. They asked me to donate the extra stand; they won't be collecting it.
    JFC.
    I live on the 3rd floor, and this thing weighs *almost* as much as I do. I guess I could try selling it on Craigslist. Until then, I have this damn box sitting in my living room.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    no wonder you got an extra: they gotta move those kids somehow.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    no wonder you got an extra: they gotta move those kids somehow.
    Maybe I'm just tired....but, huh?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Petty stuff like this, i mean seriously? Stealing wood from people's fences now? C'mon!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    wtf is that? stealing parts of a fence? I mean, that kinds of reminds me of the thief here who was killed by the car he was stealing the catalytic converter from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Maybe I'm just tired....but, huh?
    see also: really bad jokes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Amazon and the print on demand services that floods that market with "the same" item. Except it's not.

I wanted a pocket book-sized edition of something to complete a collection and instead got something that printed the day I ordered it and it's the wrong format size (does match the other 13 novels).

It's bullshit.

Another reason not to trust Amazon.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    So there is a tornado, in our town. And "town" is between 2 and 3 square miles. The news said it was right on top of us. It says "STRATFORD, TAKE COVER NOW!

I've always trusted the siren to go off in this situation. But, it isn't, even though they wake me up testing it, at the ungodly hour of 12pm, in the morning, twice a week.

We went outside and could HEAR the tornado, but not see it. It must have JUST missed us.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So there is a tornado, in our town. And "town" is between 2 and 3 square miles. The news said it was right on top of us. It says "STRATFORD, TAKE COVER NOW!

I've always trusted the siren to go off in this situation. But, it isn't, even though they wake me up testing it, at the ungodly hour of 12pm, in the morning, twice a week.

We went outside and could HEAR the tornado, but not see it. It must have JUST missed us.
    Damn! Scary stuff, glad it passed you by. Yeah that's some ineffective warning system right there, sheesh.. can't rely on anything these days.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

That's some crazy shit. When I lived in Oklahoma, the test time was always noon on Friday for our community of 35K.
    I'll never forget waking up in the 80s with my parents putting my sister and me in the bathtub with all the pillows we owned, and the sound of a freight train going by.
    I'm glad you and yours are ok.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Petty stuff like this, i mean seriously? Stealing wood from people's fences now? C'mon!
    Closer to home...

$80,000 worth of lumber stolen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

That's a fucked-up storm alert system. You're really lucky people weren't killed. Somebody needs to lock up the people in charge of the storm-alert system.

I took a 300-level meteorology class in college, and did a presentation on tornadoes. Lots of this footage is "cyclic supercell activity" that didn't technically touch down, but many DID TOUCH DOWN and you should STILL have gotten a WARNING because warnings are for the strong potential of due to conditions, not just when one touches down (which is often too late for people to take cover).

Those sirens not activating is CRIMINAL. The ONLY reason why so relatively few people die in comparison to the HUGE number of deaths to tornadoes in the past is due to warning systems.

Ours is tested every Tuesday at 1 p.m. and we hardly ever get REAL warnings, but a few years ago there was a supercell system across about 5 counties in the Chicago area, and a tornado was actually sighted about a mile from our house and THOSE SIRENS REALLY WENT OFF and it was really scary. We were in the basement with the cats, watching the weather broadcast as the tornado inched closer and closer. It dissipated, thank God. I will never live in a house that doesn't have a basement (which doesn't protect you 100% but it's better than no basement).

https://texasstormchasers.com/2021/0...ning-in-texas/

Supercells are something you should ALWAYS TAKE SERIOUSLY.

Last edited by allegro; 06-02-2021 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    What I don't understand is that ours are tested, twice a week, at noon @allegro .

And I mean, yeah. Our backyard flooded, we had a massive hail storm, and L's crazy ass went outside to LOOK for tornadoes, and I followed her.
    And, we could HEAR them. It sounds like a freight train.

I've always ignored the news and trusted the sirens. And they DIDN'T go off. They happen to be right behind our house.
    Idk why in the holy hell they didn't go off. I mean, you saw the video.

Here's some more video.

Also, yes y'all, this is where I live. You see that beautiful expanse of flat prairie and endless sky?

At the intersection of 287 and 54, there are three truck stops. We have a main street with a post office (we don't have mailboxes.) There's a school and some churches. There's about 2 or 3 square miles of "town." There are 2000 people here.
    Most of the people who live here own farm land or cattle, or work for people who do. the rest commute to the meat plant 25 miles away, or work at the truck stops, or the dollar general, or the gas station sized grocery store.

There is no medical doctor or dentist. There is no bar. There isn't even a stoplight.
    The movie theater/book store/record store/et al, is over seventy miles away.

So, next time you think YOUR town sucks, well,

But, these great high plains have their own desolate, virginal beauty.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-01-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    What I don't understand is that ours are tested, twice a week, at noon @allegro .
    Yeah, well, next time you hear or see reports of an incoming tornado (I know people in the tornado belt who have weather radios), don’t wait for the siren; get all of you, the cats and the dog into your storm cellar, right away. You’re better cautious than dead.

The county generally controls tornado sirens. Weekly tests are automated, but actual alarms are manual. Some dickheads fell asleep at the wheel or made a bad decision.

See this: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ne...le1091821.html
    Last edited by allegro; 06-01-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    From NIN Spotting:

I fully realize I'm years late for this but I only just found out about this. If I didn't see it on the NIN reddit after reading about it I wouldn't have believed that this was anything other than a fan edit. The people just sitting there and sadly listening to that look like they are listening to an entirely different song in the scene itself. the editing is terrible, the constant "on no" looks are terrible, and just the actual choice of scene to lyric is terrible.

I say this having watched absolutely zero TWD so someone tell me why I'm wrong and misinformed and how that song was that old ladies absolute favorite banger.
    @allegate, kindly never acknowledge my existence or speak to me until you watch all of The Walking Dead up until season 10.

And Fear The Walking Dead up to the current episode of season 6.

And Walking Dead: World Beyond.

Just kidding, I heart you. But seriously, watch those damn shows! Addictive and gratifying.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 06-02-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    ^^ I totally forgot about that episode. I remember first hearing it, and I was like "Seriously?! No waayyyyyy!" lmao

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    @Erneuert there's only a handful of zombie fiction that I appreciate: World War Z, Dawn of the Dead* (which I only saw because of Simon Baker and the Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright cameos), and Shaun of the Dead. Maybe one or two others but those are the big ones.

So I'll take your word on the show being good.

*I totally thought for the longest time that I liked the Zack Snyder movie but apparently I was just getting them confused because they came out so close together.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    there's only a handful of zombie fiction that I appreciate
    Why is that? And did you like 28 Days Later?

TWD was so badly paced and awfully scripted I just couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore. We're talking last season of Dexter levels of bad here. I read the comics for a bit, though, until it felt repetitive and lazy, too.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I just dislike the idea. Basically, when I'm reading/watching something I think about how that conceit would work in our real world and zombies don't make any sense. They need to eat, but the people they eat come back. it's a thing that will never end because the rules for creating a zombie are so loose that the end game of all zombie media is we lose. I know it's about the people and not the zombies but I don't care about the people, I care about the end result. And it's practically always the same.

I have not see the 28 series though I hear it's good.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Mild heart attacks. To be honest though a major heart attack would tend to piss me off more.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Why is that? And did you like 28 Days Later?

TWD was so badly paced and awfully scripted I just couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore. We're talking last season of Dexter levels of bad here. I read the comics for a bit, though, until it felt repetitive and lazy, too.
    Also to clarify last night's comments since it was one of the "Oh shit this Soma's hitting me..." days and I was floating pretty good: Zombie stories that are told like World War Z (the book, the ever-loving book) where they actually are living with the problem and somewhat solve it are captivating. The zombies traveling underwater because they don't need to breathe? That's actually interesting and kinda terrifying to think about. Like a shark with blood in the water they can follow the scent of man. Winter freezes and summer thaws making zombie seasons? I believe that because it sounds sciencey enough to make sense.

The new cordyceps / fungus zombie stories? they're also sciencey enough for me to be possible because I know what cordyceps is - even spelled it right! - and how it affects organisms is fascinating. The Girl With All The Gifts? It was a pretty good book. The movie was so-so but hit most of the right beats.

And I know that that admission means someone's going to ask about Last of Us. I could probably watch someone play the game for the story beats. I tried to play it and my PS3 sounded like it wanted me to put it out of its misery. That and the fact I suck at that kind of game sure didn't help. I guess I could play it on easy and that might work but also there's this thing called "time".

Anyway. I don't feel the same way about a mummy even though on a base level they're almost the same. My feelings on this were bore out on a podcast recently where they said a mummy is a cursed individual and to stop them you just find the cursed item and stop that.

end note: another podcast today mentioned 28 Days Later in one of those weird universe coincidences so I guess I'm watching that sooner rather than later. They said it was a beautiful film - which makes sense - and suggested a 28 Years Later since it's about the right amount of time but I see that Danny Boyle and Alex Garland (!!) have an idea for Months instead. I wonder if they're waiting for Peaky Blinders to be done?

I did not know that Alex was involved in that. Annihilation and Ex Machina are two of my absolute favorite sci-fi films so I'm doubly interested now.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Mild heart attacks. To be honest though a major heart attack would tend to piss me off more.
    I hope that if you're referring to yourself you're OK or that if you're referring to a family member that they are also OK. Either way: everyone is ok, right?
    Last edited by allegate; 06-04-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Annihilation and Ex Machina are two of my absolute favorite sci-fi films so I'm doubly interested now.
    Yeah, Garland wrote 28 Days (he also wrote Boyle's movie after that, Sunshine). Giving what you said about what certain types of zombie stories you like, I think you'll love this one. They have their own spin on what's turning people into zombies.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Hang in there @chuckrh

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    So, I tried to listen to this guy's point of view for a long time. I like to think that I'm open minded. He even made a few good points here and there. But, it seems that he's realized that the more blatantly right wing he becomes, the more attention he gets. This is the one where he finally managed to piss me off.
    And he does it, amazingly, in the first twenty seconds or so, by suggesting that abortion kills more "kids" than guns.

You guys think Public Enemy and Rakim saw THIS bullshit coming?

If you listen REALLY close in this song, you can hear the ghosts of Pac and Eazy E moaning in disapproval.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Also to clarify last night's comments since it was one of the "Oh shit this Soma's hitting me..." days and I was floating pretty good: Zombie stories that are told like World War Z (the book, the ever-loving book) where they actually are living with the problem and somewhat solve it are captivating. The zombies traveling underwater because they don't need to breathe? That's actually interesting and kinda terrifying to think about. Like a shark with blood in the water they can follow the scent of man. Winter freezes and summer thaws making zombie seasons? I believe that because it sounds sciencey enough to make sense.

The new cordyceps / fungus zombie stories? they're also sciencey enough for me to be possible because I know what cordyceps is - even spelled it right! - and how it affects organisms is fascinating. The Girl With All The Gifts? It was a pretty good book. The movie was so-so but hit most of the right beats.

And I know that that admission means someone's going to ask about Last of Us. I could probably watch someone play the game for the story beats. I tried to play it and my PS3 sounded like it wanted me to put it out of its misery. That and the fact I suck at that kind of game sure didn't help. I guess I could play it on easy and that might work but also there's this thing called "time".

Anyway. I don't feel the same way about a mummy even though on a base level they're almost the same. My feelings on this were bore out on a podcast recently where they said a mummy is a cursed individual and to stop them you just find the cursed item and stop that.

end note: another podcast today mentioned 28 Days Later in one of those weird universe coincidences so I guess I'm watching that sooner rather than later. They said it was a beautiful film - which makes sense - and suggested a 28 Years Later since it's about the right amount of time but I see that Danny Boyle and Alex Garland (!!) have an idea for Months instead. I wonder if they're waiting for Peaky Blinders to be done?

I did not know that Alex was involved in that. Annihilation and Ex Machina are two of my absolute favorite sci-fi films so I'm doubly interested now.
    I hope that if you're referring to yourself you're OK or that if you're referring to a family member that they are also OK. Either way: everyone is ok, right?
    I was in hospital for 5 days, thankfully no surgery needed. I did get my first ambulance ride. There's another major issue going on that I'm going to have some really unpleasant tests for. 1 is common, the other not so much. Luckily they are going to knock me out whilst they perform them.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I was in hospital for 5 days, thankfully no surgery needed. I did get my first ambulance ride. There's another major issue going on that I'm going to have some really unpleasant tests for. 1 is common, the other not so much. Luckily they are going to knock me out whilst they perform them.
    Ambulance rides are exciting. At least that.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Yeah, the bill not so much. Stupid healthcare prices.

Good to hear you're ok for now.