Page 227 of 263 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,810 of 7885

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I know that Trump has opened the floodgates to some dog whistles but this fucker out here like a lifeguard and the kids are running.

I tried to figure out if the host of the "Your Welcome" podcast titled it that for a reason of it he's just a poorly educated bumpkin but I cannot. I admit I did not look that long either because I couldn't stand his site or ideas that were blurbed everywhere.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

I know that Trump has opened the floodgates to some dog whistles but this fucker out here like a lifeguard and the kids are running.

I tried to figure out if the host of the "Your Welcome" podcast titled it that for a reason of it he's just a poorly educated bumpkin but I cannot. I admit I did not look that long either because I couldn't stand his site or ideas that were blurbed everywhere.
    What the fuck. I just don’t get these people, how they possibly get this take-away. Removing fucking UNCLE BEN and AUNT JEMIMA isn’t a big loss. They’re THE HELP, you morons. Oh, sure, take the do rag off of Auntie and give her a necklace but that don’t turn her into fucking Betty Crocker. The history is STILL THERE. We aren’t “removing black people” any more than removing The Jefferson’s from TV “removed black people.” It’s removing stereotypes. There’s a difference.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Aunt Jemima has already BEEN rebranded. They removed her do rag and slapped pearl earrings and a collar on her and tried to make her the black Betty Crocker.

But you can’t undo Aunt Jemima. Until relatively recently, the bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup was SHAPED like a woman wearing a long dress, just like the original “Mammy” Aunt Jemima. Aunt and Uncle were words for housekeepers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...hs-ncna1231623

My family still has (and uses) a WWII Mammy cookie jar that’s somewhat beloved, albeit embarrassing, but it’s folkloric. Ours is a Mosaic Tile Co. Mammy cookie jar that was my grandma’s that now sells for $200-$500 if my brother and I hadn’t dropped Mammy on her head and had to glue her head back together. But she is Aunt Jemima.

Last edited by allegro; 06-21-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I meant that I assume they will, at some point, take all the tested recipes and whatnot and put them out instead as "Dr. McGillicuddy's Pancake Extravaganza."
    Someone on Twitter pointed out that Aunt Jemima syrup is just thickened Pepsi. LOL.

Oddly enough, black people are among those who collect black folk art and items like that cookie jar.

“Eskimo Pie” is one of the products being renamed. I suggested “Alaska Pie.”

Eskimo is derogatory.

The Land O Lakes Indigenous Princess is gone but the land and the lake is still there. They stole her land. Someone on Twitter wondered if they’d drowned her. They started over with a whole new image, it does look pretty now. I dunno wtf she ever had to do with butter, anyway.

that Flo lady I can't stand.
    Jake from State Farm is now black.

So is the “Safe Drivers Save 40%” guy.

Mr. Clean is a sailor/genie with an earring that started as a cartoon, and if you take away depictions of REAL PEOPLE, there are very few products with people on them.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    There's something every fucking day. EVERY. FUCKING. DAY. Since this stupid quarantine started and my wife's breast cancer diagnosis in mid-March, there has literally not been a day where something didn't go wrong/shitty and piled onto the ever-growing pile of bullshit. Sometimes it's little things like yesterday when, after 9 fucking weeks, I finally told MerchNow to cancel the 53-CD order I placed on 4/20 because I was told 6 weeks to the day earlier that my order 3 weeks before my order shipped. They told me that numerous items in my order were out of stock and that was further delaying it. Which is incredible to me since I fucking BOUGHT THE ITEM so how the fuck did you sell it a second time? And man, fuck me for trying to support artists--especially in this pandemic--it's my own fault that shit was double-sold because I made the mistake of giving MerchNow my money.

And then on top of that, I paid extra for rush shipping to get an item from Shenzhen and got a text notification from DHL as well as an email from the company I ordered through yesterday that the item was OUT FOR DELIVERY. Finally at 6:00pm I checked tracking again and they updated it at 5:06 to "Shipment on hold" and a quick Google search shows that shitty, shady, absolute-fucking-worst delivery service DHL uses that as code for not being able to reach someone at the delivery site to sign for the package. The delivery site (my home) that I'm at 24/7 because I work from home and there's fuckall else to do so where else would I be? Rather than even attempt to deliver, lie, and take it back to base. Fucking idiots.

And then today, I drove the 15 miles down to my eye doctor for my annual appointment--which is scheduled a year out at the conclusion of the previous appointment--only to be told there's no record of me having an appointment today and the last time they saw me was January 2019 despite the fact I had 6 appointments last year because I got LASIK in January 2019. So she "logged into the old system" and guess what? My appointment history including the one for today at 11am were right there!

"Due to the pandemic, we had to cancel a lot of our appointments. Didn't you get the cancellation email?"
    "Clearly not since I'm here right now"

Yeah, I got the cancellation email but decided to show up anyway for no fucking reason.

I know a lot of this stuff is minor and petty but with months of shit piling on with no relief and no end in sight, it's completely worn me out. I'm so fucking far beyond my limits and I'm lucky enough to be an introvert who needs enormous amounts of quiet alone time to recover/recharge and since my wife is a teacher and school's out and she's recovering from cancer so she can't drive or do anything and my brother is a chef without a job, I never get to be alone.

God I need a fucking break so badly but there's nowhere to go, nothing to do, and with so many fucking idiots pretending like if they can't see COVID it's not a problem leading to massive increases in cases, it's only going to get locked down even harder once shit hits the fan again. Fuck fucking everything.
    Last edited by klyrish; 06-24-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    What the fuck. I just don’t get these people, how they possibly get this take-away. Removing fucking UNCLE BEN and AUNT JEMIMA isn’t a big loss. They’re THE HELP, you morons. Oh, sure, take the do rag off of Auntie and give her a necklace but that don’t turn her into fucking Betty Crocker. The history is STILL THERE. We aren’t “removing black people” any more than removing The Jefferson’s from TV “removed black people.” It’s removing stereotypes. There’s a difference.
    You know what's odd (or whatever), I got into some pointless fight with a Trump supporter on social media, and I looked at his feed. The first thing he was sharing was a meme saying that liberals were trying to destroy the glorious legacy of Aunt (whatevername) Jemima, who was actually a civil rights figure of great importance and the first female black American millionaire, a true American success story... so of course the liberals want to bash her...

And I couldn't even convince this guy that THAT shit wasn't true.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You know what's odd (or whatever), I got into some pointless fight with a Trump supporter on social media, and I looked at his feed. The first thing he was sharing was a meme saying that liberals were trying to destroy the glorious legacy of Aunt (whatevername) Jemima, who was actually a civil rights figure of great importance and the first female black American millionaire, a true American success story... so of course the liberals want to bash her...

And I couldn't even convince this guy that THAT shit wasn't true.
    He thinks Aunt Jemima is REAL?? What the fuck?!?!?!

Aunt Jemima is NOT REAL. Yes, there were MODELS who posed for the various cover portrayals, but that's no different than the Gerber Baby or Betty Crocker. Models aren't "success stories."

Show him "Mammy Archetype?"

The most famous Mammy of all, maybe he's talking about Hattie McDaniel, who WAS NOT AUNT JEMIMA, nor was she the basis of Aunt Jemima. the Mammy Archetype existed WAYYYY the fuck before Gone with the Wind.

Hattie McDaniel was an ACTRESS who PLAYED THE ROLL OF MAMMY and she WON AN OSCAR. So, he's just REINFORCING the fucking stereotype.

We got rid of "Amos and Andy" a long time ago, and nobody misses them. Nobody misses Al Jolson bullshit. Nobody misses Sanford and Son, or Good Times. And nobody will miss Aunt Jemima, for fuck's sake.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He thinks Aunt Jemima is REAL?? What the fuck?!?!?!
    Yes... Seriously, I could not convince that not only was Aunt Jemima NOT a real person, he believed she was a "beloved civil rights hero" and "the first female black millionaire" in America.

I mean, yeah, maybe he's just being amazingly trolled, but it's just disturbing that I couldn't even convince this person that Aunt Jemima wasn't a real civil rights hero symbolizing the American Capitalist Dream. That's just SO absurd. And he wouldn't follow links or read anything I tried to point him to that would debunk his theory that liberals were going after the precious legacy of dear Aunt Jemima.

I blame 4Chan for a lot of this shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yes... Seriously, I could not convince that not only was Aunt Jemima NOT a real person, he believed she was a "beloved civil rights hero" and "the first female black millionaire" in America.
    You can't fix stupid.

Black people are undoubtedly laughing at his stupidity. Or, they're horrified. Or both.

He can get the "history" from the Aunt Jemima web site: https://www.auntjemima.com/our-history

"1889: Chris Rutt and Charles Underwood of the Pearl Milling Company develop Aunt Jemima, the world's first ready mix."

"1890: R.T. Davis purchases the Aunt Jemima Manufacturing Company. Aunt Jemima was first brought to life by Nancy Green, a storyteller, cook and missionary worker."

In 1910, at 76, despite her "lifetime contract," Green was still working as a residential "housekeeper" until her death in 1923. Green lived with nieces and nephews in Fuller Park and Grand Boulevard into her old age. At the time of her death, Green had already lost her husband and children, and was living with her great nephew and his wife.
    Nancy Green died so broke, her grave STILL doesn't have a headstone. Chicago's Bronzeville Historical Society is raising money to finally get Green a headstone.

See Chicago Tribune Commentary: The real stories of the Chicago women who portrayed Aunt Jemima

The first female black millionaire in America: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madam_C._J._Walker

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...-millionairess

http://madamcjwalker.com/about/

Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "Smart" phones. They are so fucking dumb, but everyone has already drank the Kool-Aid so perhaps my opinion does not matter.

A device which you MAY NOT interact with casually. It must NOT be picked up, held in your hand, or God forbid put in your pocket without paying attention to a confusing array of specific protocols. What the fuck?

It must be turned off or put into a suspended state before tucking into your pocket. Excuse me, but what? It is expected that I MUST keep this device in my hands at all times? Only touching it in a very specific way, or risk launching every app available? Stupid beyond belief.

Do NOT touch the screen, and do NOT touch the edges because they are bristling with buttons which do evil crap. How the fuck am I supposed to interact with this device? Gingerly pick it up paying VERY close attention to where my errant fingers are placed? Who the fuck designed this UX and why am I apparently the only one bothered by it? The younger generation apparently has very low expectations for technology. I sense a significant potential for profit there!

As a SOHO networking consultant I am not at all intimidated or challenged by technology. But this "smart" device conundrum has me not just perplexed but downright angry. People are so downright stupid that they have accepted an unworkable and pathetic UI with all of it's quirks as something just wonderful because it keeps them connected to god (social media) at all times of the day no matter where they are what a glorious thing!!!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Because of COVID, my job is now offering our summer classes online. This is the first week of summer classes, and we got a bunch of complaints from parents about one of our classes of how the teacher is not really being engaging with the kids. When we reached out to the teacher, he said, "Yeah, it was hard for me to really interact with them because most of them had their cameras off - so I was mostly starting at blank screens." Wtff?? I asked another teacher friend of mine about this, and he said it's apparently a "cool thing" with the kids to have your screens off. Wtf is wrong with kids?? How is it even "cool"? I don't get it. And we had to give refunds to the angry parents.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm trying to give away an exersaucer on craigslist. I have had almost a dozen people email me asking if it's still available and only one person actually responded to the "yes, when would you like to come look at it?" email. She ended up not getting it because it was missing a piece (it's clearly missing it in the picture but whatever) but still, one person? Several have emailed like they are panicked about potentially going one more day without an exersaucer so I really don't get those people. You sound fired up so what, did you die of excitement?

I just added a blurb to the page expressing my dissatisfaction with this. I hope they take it to heart.

Also in July 5th news I just heard the first firework of the day and it's nearly 1:00, that's pretty impressive.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    when people say "and everyone hated it for no reason!"

No... there were reasons they didn't like it, whatever it was. This might be a pop song, a movie, a Dostoevsky novel... they've got a fucking REASON. Their reasoning might be lame, but there's where subjective opinions come in, but nothing is LAMER than someone saying "they just hated it for no reason." That's my subjective opinion.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I was with the same girl through all four years of high school. We've not spoken since, except for exchanging a few pleasantries on Facebook.

She started dating one of my old acquaintances, a friend from the HS newspaper.

So, first, she unfriended me. And I'm thinking, ok, this is a bit much, but I GUESS I get it?

But secondly, this dude had been trying to help teach me how to make money freelance writing, because he LIVED off of doing that for awhile.

And I asked him some clarifying questions...and dude just, won't answer me. Just stopped.

I never mistreated this woman, and I've not seen either of these folks since 98, and we were all on terms that were fine and dandy, and they get together, and both ghosted me.

And what MOSTLY pisses me off about this is that homeboy was RIGHT in the middle of laying some very helpful information.

He's very successful, and running for public office, and is afraid of his 40 year old gf's high school sweetheart.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m so tired of being alone. Maybe this belongs in the COVID coping thread, but it was an issue before COVID-19.

It sucks when you do the physical and mental work on yourself and it yields nothing.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don’t do casual sex/ONS. Never have. It’s not for me but I don’t come down on others if it works for them. I have to feel connected to the woman I’m with. Believe it or not, I’m quite shy when I first meet people and with women I’m into, I prefer to get to know them first; even befriend her before moving to that next level.

So what I’m saying is I’m terrible at dating (whatever the fuck dating is now). I’m bad at selling myself. I know I’m smart when it comes to some things and I know I’m always trying to be better.

I don’t “play the game.” I think that shit is silly.

In the last 6 years, I’ve figured out a lot of things that were affecting my health and lost 90lbs the right way. I thought this would help me get some positive attention from women. I was wrong. Everyone I have shown interest in has either turned me down or completely ignored me. It’s really fucked with my head. Made me truly believe I’m just not physically appealing. Plus, I’m 41, I can’t have kids and honestly, happy I can’t. I’m not real fond of kids; especially when they’re little. Unfortunately, the majority of single women I know of near me are single moms. So that’s kind of where I am at.

Surely saying this shit will get used against me later but what can someone on the internet do that I haven’t already done to myself?
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-12-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Swykk , there’s nothing “wrong” with anything you said, or you. You just you haven’t been in the right place at the right time.

Dating is HARD. You say women didn’t “show interest,” but it’s likely because women just don’t DO that in certain environments, anymore, because not safe.

Every woman I know only dates via moderated online dating like match.com or fix-ups.

This way, you can filter. It’s actually harder to date when you are single and have kids. So you’re at an advantage.

The worst thing right now is dating during Covid. I guess some dating apps have made some changes to handle that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Yeah, I don’t do casual sex/ONS. Never have. It’s not for me but I don’t come down on others if it works for them. I have to feel connected to the woman I’m with. Believe it or not, I’m quite shy when I first meet people and with women I’m into, I prefer to get to know them first; even befriend her before moving to that next level.

So what I’m saying is I’m terrible at dating (whatever the fuck dating is now). I’m bad at selling myself. I know I’m smart when it comes to some things and I know I’m always trying to be better.

I don’t “play the game.” I think that shit is silly.

In the last 6 years, I’ve figured out a lot of things that were affecting my health and lost 90lbs the right way. I thought this would help me get some positive attention from women. I was wrong. Everyone I have shown interest in has either turned me down or completely ignored me. It’s really fucked with my head. Made me truly believe I’m just not physically appealing. Plus, I’m 41, I can’t have kids and honestly, happy I can’t. I’m not real fond of kids; especially when they’re little. Unfortunately, the majority of single women I know of near me are single moms. So that’s kind of where I am at.

Surely saying this shit will get used against me later but what can someone on the internet do that I haven’t already done to myself?
    If you were 41 female presenting, the majority of the response you would get would be from men 50-60 years old. Most men* who are 40ish are looking at the 28-40 range. You could look a little higher in the age bracket - they might have children, but the children might be older and have less impact on the woman's life. Just a thought.

*It's a generalization I've seen from friends who are dating in the 35-50 age range.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I’m so tired of being alone. Maybe this belongs in the COVID coping thread, but it was an issue before COVID-19.

It sucks when you do the physical and mental work on yourself and it yields nothing.
    Totally feel you on this. Try to continue to improve myself but have to ask to what end? Am officially in the tenth year (since diagnosed) of an incurable disease that most likely is going to get me sooner rather than later. The last 2 years have been a downward spiral. Not cancer but close enough, just takes longer. Lot of days I find myself having visions of being one those people who have been dead for a week before anyone figures out something is wrong. Have to ask myself is it worth the fight.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    After sleeping most of day because last batch of chemo has worn off went out to check the mail. Find my car has a flat & I have long early morning drive for next IV. Being disabled, changing a tire is beyond me at this point. It turns out sort of well though. When I bought my car I included a road side assistance plan. Called them & the guy showed up, had the spare on in under an hour which left me just enough time to get to the tire store to get it fixed. I had patronized the store in the past but not for awhile since I'm driving on original tires for the car. Technically, I was past the time where they take anything else on for the day but the guy at the counter took pity. I must not have looked well (wasn't well) & he said his sister has to deal with similar treatments. Not only that, they did the work free of charge. I certainly will be going back when the time comes for new tires. In the interest of good word of mouth for this company it is Discount Tires. They have stores in 35 states & all my dealings with them in the past have been great. They have good prices, too. Once you're in their data base they work hard to keep loyal customers coming back. They are a chain but not a mega corporation. Still know the value of customer service. Just wanted to put this out there as they saved me some major ugliness on what is already a difficult day today.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Totally feel you on this. Try to continue to improve myself but have to ask to what end? Am officially in the tenth year (since diagnosed) of an incurable disease that most likely is going to get me sooner rather than later. The last 2 years have been a downward spiral. Not cancer but close enough, just takes longer. Lot of days I find myself having visions of being one those people who have been dead for a week before anyone figures out something is wrong. Have to ask myself is it worth the fight.
    I think I know what you mean. I survived leukemia as a kid but it’s left me with a lot of permanent issues. I wish I knew what the answer was.
    I’m sorry you are going through all this.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    On my third recommendation trying to get an ENT to call me back. It took 31 years for someone to tell me my left eardrum is still perforated (I had 8 sets of tubes by age 4; apparently the "hole never closed"). Explains a lot.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It's probably magnified by the fact that I still can't even get a fucking interview for a job and, in a few weeks, they cut off that extra unemployment subsidy—which is literally the only thing allowing us to pay our rent right now—while we find out every day that giant fucking chains and billionaires have been doing extraordinarily well for themselves during the pandemic, but right now, I'd fucking applaud if I found out every billionaire in America happened to be under a falling asteroid. I'm glad we don't have children. Sometimes I really look forward to being dead and knowing that I didn't leave behind anyone who has to deal with whatever comes after late-capitalism.
    the pandemic and the protests coming to the forefront have really magnified my utter hatred of capitalism. it is fucking garbage designed to keep the rich rich and basically crush everyone else.

we're having a kid in november; something i NEVER thought i would want to do until the winter of 2018. we did IVF three times and it was finally successful; we found out in march, the day before i took a leave from work due to pandemic concerns and, especially, not wanting to put the pregnancy at risk. the idea of bringing a child into this world was always something that concerned me, before i even considered having one. now that we're actually doing it, i am beyond terrified. i have no job right now. i haven't made money in months. i feel guilty every day that sarah is still working full-time (from home) on top of dealing with being pregnant.

i applied for unemployment last week (didn't know i was technically eligible starting at the beginning of june) but haven't gotten any kind of response yet. i'm looking for and applying for jobs (something that drains every ounce of my willpower because of my hatred of capitalism). i'm working on music (the only thing really keeping me stable right now). but i am really afraid of the future. for the first time in my life, i actually have a reason to plan for it, and the drive to do so, but all i can see is the world turning (even more) to shit.

and people still can't be bothered to wear fucking masks. i am really starting to hate humanity.

drawn by sludgework, who also did my logo. feel free to use (with credit to her).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    After sleeping most of day because last batch of chemo has worn off went out to check the mail. Find my car has a flat & I have long early morning drive for next IV. Being disabled, changing a tire is beyond me at this point. It turns out sort of well though. When I bought my car I included a road side assistance plan. Called them & the guy showed up, had the spare on in under an hour which left me just enough time to get to the tire store to get it fixed. I had patronized the store in the past but not for awhile since I'm driving on original tires for the car. Technically, I was past the time where they take anything else on for the day but the guy at the counter took pity. I must not have looked well (wasn't well) & he said his sister has to deal with similar treatments. Not only that, they did the work free of charge. I certainly will be going back when the time comes for new tires. In the interest of good word of mouth for this company it is Discount Tires. They have stores in 35 states & all my dealings with them in the past have been great. They have good prices, too. Once you're in their data base they work hard to keep loyal customers coming back. They are a chain but not a mega corporation. Still know the value of customer service. Just wanted to put this out there as they saved me some major ugliness on what is already a difficult day today.
    I'm also in WA and there's a couple Discount Tire locations here. My wife likes Les Schwab because of their guarantee but I'll talk to her about moving over. Especially since Les Schwab is talking of selling themselves off.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    being treated like I was born yesterday and have no idea when wool is being pulled over my eyes. just because I choose a certain outlook on life, doesnt mean I'm ignorant to bullshit.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

this fucking bullshit (click through to read their whole mission statement)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

wear a mask...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    assholes on or around our block setting off fireworks, one at a time, every couple of minutes, for a period of about 45 minutes tonight. i jumped every single time. almost dropped our water pitcher at one point. not fun.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Wound up taking my son to the ER three times in one day due to an allergic reaction. Had the shit doctors explained to us during that first OR SECOND visit that the hives / rash could continue and look pretty gnarly for a day or two, only one visit would have been necessary. We wound up going to a different hospital for the third visit when he woke up screaming at 10 PM. Nothing like seeing your kid's eyes swollen shut and his hands so swollen he can barely move his fingers.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Jesus. I'm so sorry; I've got a very sick cat right now and that's distressing enough. I can't even imagine.
    Not ideal and a sick cat certainly isn't either.