Page 123 of 263 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 223 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 7887

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Obviously not, christ almighty.

My mom sent me this email saying "Apparently Dr. Palmer is some kind of psychopath!!!!" She said she tried calling River Bluff Dental but there was no answer. I will obviously look into finding someone new. If his business goes under, I'll kind of feel bad for some of his staff members, they were always really nice.
    They'll find other jobs...

I just don't get why a human feels the need to hunt (barely) an animal like that. I get the thinning the herd reasoning for some hunting, but killing a lion isn't that!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    I saw a guy walking out of the local Whole Foods wearing a shirt that read "Keep Calm and Carry Arms". *eye roll*
    On the subject of minor annoyances, the "Keep Calm [topic]" shirts and "Fuck Yeah [subject]" sites need to lie down and die now.

Also, although unrelated, I'm working with my brother building websites and... How to put it...

Dear photographers.
    The first hundred professionals who decided to go full-on stark minimalism when it came to designing their website were clever.
    That was ten years ago.
    Indeed, at the time it was edgy (in a time when every website felt necessary to make you go through ten seconds of flash animations just to reach the home page), classy, elegant yet personal, and did put the focus on the art and the art alone.
    Although that last argument still rings true, you are now millions with a blank background, text links in arial, and what basically amounts to a gallery in the middle of Siberia.
    I understand that the concept is attractive, but it is overdone now, and you all look exactly the same. Time to breathe a bit more personality to it if you really want to catch your reader's eye.
    Sure, I'll design it, sure he'll program it, but honestly it won't be any fun for us, and you're wasting time and money when you could just make it yourself in wordpress, or even make a tumblr...

Seriously we've tried everything to make it a bit more original than that, have one or two discreet features and barely noticeable animations, the guy just wants it stark, dry and basic as hell.
    And he's been sending us at least twenty links as references so he should notice how overdone it is...
    Ah well, the client is king, and the king has no clothes...
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-28-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Some of these "Keep On. . ." mottos are just stupid. Keep Calm and Chive On????

Not to mention as far removed from the original phrases meaning.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't think you'll even have the option to have Dr Palmer as your dentist anymore.

Even if he doesn't wind up in an African prison, he will never be able to operate a business ever again. Right now, he's one of the most hated people on the planet. Even if he waits until the outrage dies down, the second he tries to set up shop again he'll be met with protesters who won't go away until he does.

Regarding those "keep calm" posters, I kind of want to get this on a t-shirt

Last edited by Jinsai; 07-28-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Got charged twice for rent yesterday, which means I overdrew my account and was charged an extra $32. Called the apartment office today, they said "You must have payed twice, unless you have automatic billing set up we don't actively take money from you even if you're paying online. We can refund you, but it will take 2 weeks and we won't refund the overdraft since it's not our fault. You'll have to call your bank." Their website was having problems, for sure, but rent was due so I had to pay it. Didn't hit submit twice, didn't refresh, didn't send 2 payments through. But they sure charged me twice. So glad we're not renewing our lease and moving out in September, this place is a joke.

Never move into an apartment on the ground floor next to the boiler room in north Philly. You will never not be over-run by roaches, no matter how clean you are and how many traps you put down.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Edit: I forgot why i wanted to post here in the first place and it was this.
    PLEX.
    Who else is on Plex?
    It's fucking awesome.
    I now have over 20 libraries shared with me, but only a few of them are from ets, and it's only from two people.
    If you use roku or apple tv or any of that shit, or hook yer computer up to a tv, GET PLEX! ESPECIALLY if you are a pirate. We can then share our media libraries. And no, it doesn't FUCK with your media library. It doesn't make it to where you can make changes or USE the other person's media library.
    I currently have access to a good solid 12,000 movies, all of them from people i've never met-mostly just random fuckers on Reddit.

AND THEN:

I've brought this up before, and again, it doesn't piss me off-it's just weird.
    There are NINE of us online.
    There are like THIRTY people viewing non NIN related content.

That means that at least TWENTY ONE of those people aren't us.

Do you guys feel like you're being watched?

I wonder if some people come here and watch us argue, like a soap opera.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-01-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Me @ my personal life/my relationship/etc: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also definitely some:

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    When @elevenism gets really high and takes over ETS.

Last edited by Baphomette; 08-01-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    When @Miss Baphomette mistakes something i do as being rude, and then makes a huge graphic to use to publicly bust my balls

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Frank Ocean's new album didn't drop in July. Wtfffffff

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Frank Ocean's new album didn't drop in July. Wtfffffff
    yeah chance the rapper pulled that shit with Surf. It didn't drop in 2014. It just came out.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    yeah chance the rapper pulled that shit with Surf. It didn't drop in 2014. It just came out.
    Good god, hope we don't have to wait till 2016 to get some new Frank Ocean.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I had to get a cyst lanced yesterday. Shit hurt.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    people who think bike racks are cart returns. the fucking cart return is literally 30 feet away and you're too lazy and incompetent to walk there, so you choose to instead block people from locking up their bikes? a-holes...

(and yes, i'm the kind of person who takes the carts and puts them all back where they go after i've locked up my bike)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is really a little thing, but it does piss me off right now indeed, so... simracing. You know, computer, steering wheel, cars, slightly more serious game with rules and penalties but still just gaming (age average maybe 30 years). Championship with BMW M235i, beautiful but tricky Nordschleife, I practiced some 2 hours last week. Today, two more people were added to the entry list, too late but the admin was friendly and took them in anyway. And I realized shortly before the race that I can not login, probably because editing the entry list is tricky and the admin made a mistake, that can happen. And bonus - these two new people did not join at all in the end. :-) See, I must be in a quite good place for this to bother me, right? ;-)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    was out of town half of last week (and the weekend) for a wedding, so i didn't work wed-fri. this week, i've only gotten TWO billable hours, and all i have today is one half hour service call.
    my wife and i are paying off the new car we bought, as always there are bills, and she really wants to move into a house (as do i). it's ridiculous how hard it is to exist in this world because of money.
    not to mention the fact that no one is paying the company (which is me and my dad) which means that i can't get paychecks. my dad currently owes me all the way back to mid-june.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    was out of town half of last week (and the weekend) for a wedding, so i didn't work wed-fri. this week, i've only gotten TWO billable hours, and all i have today is one half hour service call.
    my wife and i are paying off the new car we bought, as always there are bills, and she really wants to move into a house (as do i). it's ridiculous how hard it is to exist in this world because of money.
    not to mention the fact that no one is paying the company (which is me and my dad) which means that i can't get paychecks. my dad currently owes me all the way back to mid-june.
    Dude, just because you are family doesn't make it legal or OK to not pay you on time riiight? At some point, a small business has to admit that they aren't sustainable.*

* ex husband never paid himself well in his business - Been there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Your dad is going to have to make his payment terms "due on receipt" (all electricians and plumbers and HVAC professionals do business this way, even my landscaper wants half in advance and the remainder on receipt for big projects). Arrange to take credit cards if you don't already.

Also, yeah, you may have to find another job.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-07-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Dude, just because you are family doesn't make it legal or OK to not pay you on time riiight? At some point, a small business has to admit that they aren't sustainable.*

* ex husband never paid himself well in his business - Been there.
    it's not legal, but there's also nothing he can do. he can barely afford to pay his own bills right now, so i can't expect him to be writing me checks. i'm at least pretty good with money and still have plenty in my bank account, and my wife has a salary (she makes more than me per year despite how much i make an hour because she works a 9-5) and is about to get a raise, so we're ok for the moment. it just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Your dad is going to have to make his payment terms "due on receipt" (all electricians and plumbers and HVAC professionals do business this way, even my landscaper wants half in advance and the remainder on receipt for big projects). Arrange to take credit cards if you don't already.

Also, yeah, you may have to find another job.
    believe me, i'm thinking about getting another job. part of the problem is that i don't know what he's going to do without me. i'm amazed his business has survived this long (over 40 years at this point) with how terrible he is at interacting with people; my mom is fairly convinced that he has a mild form of asperger's.
    and though my mom brings in a little money doing massage (mostly dogs, a few people), the two of them mostly rely on my dad's business to sustain themselves. so if i leave and he's screwed, my whole family is screwed, and i don't feel right about that. at the same time, i have to think about myself and my wife and the life we're trying to build together. so, again, it sucks.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    believe me, i'm thinking about getting another job. part of the problem is that i don't know what he's going to do without me. i'm amazed his business has survived this long (over 40 years at this point) with how terrible he is at interacting with people; my mom is fairly convinced that he has a mild form of asperger's.
    and though my mom brings in a little money doing massage (mostly dogs, a few people), the two of them mostly rely on my dad's business to sustain themselves. so if i leave and he's screwed, my whole family is screwed, and i don't feel right about that. at the same time, i have to think about myself and my wife and the life we're trying to build together. so, again, it sucks.
    So he's not at retirement age, yet, for social security? Really, you probably have to sit him down and explain that in this day and age, businesses can't "bill" people for stuff, anymore, and that he is going to have to explain to customers that his business must get payment for services when the services are rendered. And, really, his customers will fully understand because that's how everybody else expects payment. When my plumber comes and fixes my faucet, he doesn't send me a bill in the mail; he writes an invoice and he wants payment while he's standing there in my foyer. Because nobody in small businesses can afford spending the day hunting down past-120 invoices these days. If you weren't his son, he'd have to write you a check anyway because he'd have a line of credit for payroll. I work for a sole practitioner who pays me no matter where his money is coming from, that's the way it is when you own a small business; his money problems aren't my money problems. If you and your wife want to buy a house, eventually, you won't be able to buy much of a house relying solely on her salary, and loan underwriting isn't going to like the documentation coming from your dad with this sporadic "when I can afford to pay him" pay structure; really, underwriting is going to throw out your pay as if it doesn't exist and they probably wouldn't even allow you to be on the mortgage which means you can't be on the Deed, either. And, relying solely on your wife's salary isn't likely to allow you to buy much of a house, you know? (Unless you wanna live in Moline.) So you have to think of your future, here. If you quit and get a new job, underwriting is going to want you to be at that job for a year to consider it. Keep all that in mind. Yes, you have to think about your family, meaning you and your wife. You have your own family, now. You have to think about your own family's future.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    So he's not at retirement age, yet, for social security? Really, you probably have to sit him down and explain that in this day and age, businesses can't "bill" people for stuff, anymore, and that he is going to have to explain to customers that his business must get payment for services when the services are rendered. And, really, his customers will fully understand because that's how everybody else expects payment. When my plumber comes and fixes my faucet, he doesn't send me a bill in the mail; he writes an invoice and he wants payment while he's standing there in my foyer. Because nobody in small businesses can afford spending the day hunting down past-120 invoices these days. If you weren't his son, he'd have to write you a check anyway because he'd have a line of credit for payroll. I work for a sole practitioner who pays me no matter where his money is coming from, that's the way it is when you own a small business; his money problems aren't my money problems. If you and your wife want to buy a house, eventually, you won't be able to buy much of a house relying solely on her salary, and loan underwriting isn't going to like the documentation coming from your dad with this sporadic "when I can afford to pay him" pay structure; really, underwriting is going to throw out your pay as if it doesn't exist and they probably wouldn't even allow you to be on the mortgage which means you can't be on the Deed, either. And, relying solely on your wife's salary isn't likely to allow you to buy much of a house, you know? (Unless you wanna live in Moline.) So you have to think of your future, here. If you quit and get a new job, underwriting is going to want you to be at that job for a year to consider it. Keep all that in mind. Yes, you have to think about your family, meaning you and your wife. You have your own family, now. You have to think about your own family's future.
    he's going to be 62 this year.

i have been billing people on the spot for the most part, these days. but for something like the new Evanston Art Center project that we just did, they're paying through a third party, and they're unhappy with their phone system that we installed (because it wasn't the right thing for what they wanted, which we would have known if they had EVER told us what they actually wanted it to do in the beginning) so they're not forwarding payment.

the other problem is that work is slow. and when work is slow, and no money is coming in, there's not much we can do other than TRY to generate business or get new customers, which i have been trying, and it's not working.

i appreciate all your advice, by the way. i can always count on you to be objective but passionate.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Why is it so difficult to look for stuff online for Retailers like target etc, that they might actually have in store. Next time I'm just gonna hop the bus and just go directly to the store as at this point it has certainly taken me longer to look this shit up that it would to have taken the bus there and back.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Dealing with fuckboys on a daily basis at work.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So I ordered some curtains from Argos the other because, as I'm a night worker, I was getting sick of light in my bedroom whilst I as trying to sleep. They were due to come yesterday.

I sat at home waiting all afternoon and then at around 5pm I recieved a text message "Your order has been successfully delivered today at 16:26. *New range out now*". Nothing had been delivered to my house.

I went online and started a live chat and explained everything to the lady, Lisa, who checked my order and assured me that it had been delivered and someone had signed for it so I should check with my neighbours. I did and they hadn't had anything sent to them. I asked Lisa if the delivery driver should have left a card and she said that they don't have calling cards because they always call 15 minutes before they arrive to make sure people are in. I received no such call.

Lisa informed me that she will need to call the store to speak to the delivery driver but since it is a Sunday she can't do that and I'll have to wait. Thanks Lisa.

After the conversation there was a a little box that asked me if I would like them to send me a transcript of the conversation for my records. I thought this might be something I need later on because I don't know how companies handle screw ups like this so I said yes. And they did.....102 fucking times!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    SO. I got health insurance with a big ass subsidy because i was a low income worker during the 2013 fiscal year.
    And when it was time to pay for the insurance, they just sent me a bill. I was thinking "hmmmm, i sure hope this doesn't come back to bite me somehow." Because i didn't work in 2014.
    Well, SURE ENOUGH, i got a letter from the IRS the other day. Keep in mind, this is like 8 fucking months later or something.
    It says something along the lines of if i don't file a tax return, i COULD owe the IRS. And the way it's written, it doesn't sound like they just want the subsidy. I THINK they actually want all the money that the insurance saved, like, for surgery and hospital visits and whatnot.

I DIDN'T FUCKINg DO ANYthING WRONG. I just paid the bill that they sent me!

So if i wind up owing the irs and can't pay, can't they take me to PRISON for that shit?!

Now. My mother DID give me money for taking care of her during 2014, like after she had that big surgery. I used it to buy musical equipment, nicotine vaporizers, etc.

Does anyone know if i can solve this by claiming that as income and therefore becoming eligible for the tax credit?

See, now this shit RIGHT HERE is exactly why i hate George W Obama's goddamn bait and switch plan. That's what it should be called. The Bait and Switch Healthcare Act. They goddamn sure made it SOUND like we were going to move towards a model where everyone had healthcare, and i supported THAT wholeheartedly. Hell, i saved the fucking newspaper from the day it passed in congress and hung it on my wall.

But my wife and i are both currently unable to work. So therefore, we are ineligible for healthcare subsidies. So we are supposed to apply for medicaid or whatever, but we don't qualify for that either because we aren't formally disabled and don't have dependent children.

So a metric fuckton of people who need healthcare the most are unable to get it, and this is why i may go to prison for some kind of irs fraud while my wife dies of hep c.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    But my wife and i are both currently unable to work. So therefore, we are ineligible for healthcare subsidies. So we are supposed to apply for medicaid or whatever, but we don't qualify for that either because we aren't formally disabled
    If you're ineligible for healthcare subsidies, I believe you just hafta pay out of pocket (I could be wrong about that). Medicare is strictly for seniors and for the permanently disabled. You should look into free clinics in your area or near-by areas.

The little thing currently pissing me off:
    My left ear. It's completely blocked and I can't hear a goddamn thing out of it. Getting a referral from my GP tomorrow for a specialist. Stupid ear wax.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 08-10-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Echochambers and people who throw hissy fits when they stop being one.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Echochambers and people who throw hissy fits when they stop being one.
    Oh, come on, Tony, support groups aren't echo chambers. And the feminist thread has always been something of a support group, kind of like a N.O.W. meeting. And when people come in there and say "I don't believe in a lot of this shit, I need more proof, prove it to me, that's my opinion" it's like wandering into a women's shelter and saying "I don't believe that any of you were abused, you are going to have to show me a lot more evidence" or stumbling drunk into an AA meeting with a case of beer and demanding that everybody drink with you. If you want to be supportive, great, come on in. If you want to go in there and constantly argue and disagree and "stir the pot" (I'm not saying "you" literally), you're not being a part of the support group, you are drifting the purpose of the thread and making people uncomfortable.

When you think about it, plenty of threads in this forum are this way, as well they should be. The Manson thread is primarily for people who LIKE Manson. Sure, you all can disagree about which albums are better and which were failures, but people who stumble in there and say "MANSON IS SHIT, YOU ARE A BUNCH OF LOSERS FOR LIKING MANSON" or "You will have to prove to me why Manson is not just a load of shit, and that is my opinion, I have the right to my opinion" and this person posts links to why Manson is shit over and over, and wants proof as to why Manson isn't shit, that's not contributing to the Manson thread, that's just making you all defend Manson, which does nothing and it's not a discussion.

And nobody threw a "hissy fit" in that thread; actually, people have been pretty civil in there, have spent entirely too much time explaining, explaining, explaining and being very patient. Had @Leviathant been around and not so busy, he'd have already thrown around the friggin' ban hammer.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-10-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Also, people aren't obligated to teach people. I'm not going to go into an MRA space and try to engage them. THEY CAN HAVE THEIR SPACE.

When you're the outsider and ESPECIALLY when you hold privilege (I'm not just talking about feminist spaces) you need to not believe that you deserve the floor just as much.

Also I <3 echo chambers.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It says something along the lines of if i don't file a tax return, i COULD owe the IRS. And the way it's written, it doesn't sound like they just want the subsidy. I THINK they actually want all the money that the insurance saved, like, for surgery and hospital visits and whatnot. So if i wind up owing the irs and can't pay, can't they take me to PRISON for that shit?!

Now. My mother DID give me money for taking care of her during 2014, like after she had that big surgery. I used it to buy musical equipment, nicotine vaporizers, etc.

Does anyone know if i can solve this by claiming that as income and therefore becoming eligible for the tax credit?
    Your mom would have to file a 1099 with the IRS for the money she gave you. You may not owe THAT much money, but you could work out a payment plan with the IRS, I think, for what you owe. Nobody goes to prison unless they AVOID the IRS.

I think your wife may qualify for SSDI and Medicaid if she applies; she'll be rejected automatically, pretty much everybody is rejected the first time; you may have to hire an attorney, but there are a shitload of people on SSDI and Medicaid (then Medicare after the intro time period), you just have to go through the process of having a doctor declare her as disabled and you often need an attorney that specializes as an advocate. It's not a shit ton of money but it's better than nothing, and if you can't work because you are disabled due to pain and injury, you may qualify as well. Hell, the entire state of Kentucky is on disability.

Call them, don't avoid it. It's always better to work it out. See this:
    If advance payments of the premium tax credit were paid on behalf of you or an individual in your family in 2014, and you do not file a 2014 tax return, you will not be eligible for advance payments of the premium tax credit or cost-sharing reductions to help pay for your Marketplace health insurance coverage in 2016. This means you will be responsible for the full cost of your monthly premiums and all covered services. In addition, we may contact you to pay back some or all of the 2014 advance payments of the premium tax credit.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-10-2015 at 07:09 PM.