Page 122 of 222 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 172 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 6659

Thread: The little things that piss you off

  1. #3631
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,753
    Mentioned
    783 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I think we could all find something gorgeous about ever single state in the union.
    That's pretty much what I was saying. ANY exceptionalism (including New England) is stupid. People who refuse to ever leave are just, I dunno, boring? I know people who never left their small home town, never left the fucking county, not even on vacation. They also won't try any new food, and think Olive Garden is adventurous. I'm not saying that's anybody here, natch, I'm just saying there's a reason I moved away. I'd keep moving, like a friggin' nomad, if it wasn't for my husband. We do plan on moving farther west (with tax restrictions) after he retires.

    This buttwipe across from us at our soon-to-be former marina suffers from Wisconsin exceptionalism, including spouting revisionist history like "OH, YOU MEAN THE UPPER PENNINSULA THAT MICHIGAN STOLE FROM WISCONSIN!" and shit like that. I ignore him, because he lives in Illinois to avoid Wisconsin's exceptionally shitty retirement taxes. The guy has a dog named "Maddie" (Madison, University of Wisconsin), and has 80 U-W flags hanging off his 36-foot SeaRay and he wears U-W Badgers shirts, hats, etc.

    So on the 4th, I wore my most PATRIOTIC outfit: An Iggy Pop Lust For Life shirt, with this GIANT image of Iggy on the front, because nothing says "AMERICA" more than Iggy.



    Now G wants to wear his Genitorturers shirts just to fuck with this guy.

    That OpEd piece about segregation has it wrong about Detroit; white flight happened in the City of Detroit starting in the 60s; the VAST majority of the little remaining population of Detroit is black, and there is now "black flight" from Detroit to the 'burbs. And they bury this as a little footnote:

    "Michigan’s Warren-Troy-Farmington Hills metro area, where segregation declined ."

    And they compare Detroit to Dearborn,
    which has the highest number of Arabs outside of the Middle East
    , but used to be run by Mayor Orville Hubbard, who tried to keep out all Dearborn residents who weren't white. I'm sure the old fucker is spinning in his grave.

    Chicago is REALLLLLY segregated, though.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 07-21-2015 at 07:35 PM.

  2. #3632
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concrete Prairie, Texas
    Posts
    2,821
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Searay? Bleck. When we had a boat, we'd call those Clorox Bottles.

  3. #3633
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And they compare Detroit to Dearborn,
    which has the highest number of Arabs outside of the Middle East
    , but used to be run by Mayor Orville Hubbard, who tried to keep out all Dearborn residents who weren't white. I'm sure the old fucker is spinning in his grave.
    "Keep Dearborn Clean"

  4. #3634
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,753
    Mentioned
    783 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post
    "Keep Dearborn Clean"
    Yeah, LOL, exactly.

    We used to go to Camp Dearborn when I was a kid. Is it even still around? Yup, guess so.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Searay? Bleck. When we had a boat, we'd call those Clorox Bottles.
    Everybody has Sea Rays these days (not us) they're totally overpriced huge fuckers that tank in value because there are SO MANY of them (fucking Sundancers everywhere). Brunswick owns Sea Ray, now, so the quality HAS gone up, and their design has gone more Euro.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 07-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.

  5. #3635
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,414
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    @allegro , i love texas, but i want to go all over the fucking WORLD.

    Me and Sheap's dream is to get a motor home.

    But my love of my state doesn't make me want to never go anywhere else or any shit like that.

    The only reasons i haven't really been anywhere are financial.
    But now that my brother has moved to denver, i will be spending a lot more time seeing the sites in colorado.

    I was there for the better part of june, but had that (literally) back breaking seizure pretty quick after i got there. But we DID manage to go WAY the fuck up on this mountain road with huge streams thundering down either side of it, and it was like being on another fucking planet.

    It pisses me off that i had a seizure that broke my vertebrae and barely got to do shit in denver.
    See, i ended the drift in this post!

  6. #3636
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,482
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    I just spent about 20 minutes reading through moronic comments where people seriously cannot seem to grasp the basic concept behind the "black lives matter" movement.

    about 90% of the people commenting on this are either irretrievably stupid or racist. https://www.facebook.com/boingboing/...53018268611179

  7. #3637
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concrete Prairie, Texas
    Posts
    2,821
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just spent about 20 minutes reading through moronic comments where people seriously cannot seem to grasp the basic concept behind the "black lives matter" movement.

    about 90% of the people commenting on this are either irretrievably stupid or racist. https://www.facebook.com/boingboing/...53018268611179
    I love how some folks believe that saying "black lives matter" is racist. Nice way to change the story by taking the argument to begin with - seems like this is the way of 2015.

  8. #3638
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Car troubles suck shit.

  9. #3639
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hipster Hell, CA
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Car troubles suck shit.
    I inundated you with links. Good luck with fixing.

  10. #3640
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just spent about 20 minutes reading through moronic comments where people seriously cannot seem to grasp the basic concept behind the "black lives matter" movement.

    about 90% of the people commenting on this are either irretrievably stupid or racist. https://www.facebook.com/boingboing/...53018268611179

    Ho.Ly.Shit...
    Even those who aren't racist are morons or dicks...

    I should write down those names...

  11. #3641
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    I inundated you with links. Good luck with fixing.
    Much obliged!

  12. #3642
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,335
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Myself at the moment. I've been writing like a motherfucker the past few days and have been outdoing myself and yet with all the motivation and inspiration and tangible productivity I still find myself stopping and feeling like I am just wasting my time and should not be doing this. Just the self-doubt I always seem to fall back into could not be more frustrating sometimes, I have no reason to feel this way at all, I'm more validated right now as a writer than at any other point in my life but somehow, someway, I always find a way to devalue my own successes. Also the fact that I feel a need to vent about it instead of just handling it, dismissing it as depressive bullshit and moving on.

  13. #3643
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    1 - Have a panic attack after a solid two months of miserable depression
    2 - Think of nothing except killing yourself for 14 hours
    3 - As soon as you start to calm down, you are informed that you have less than two weeks to find a new place to live, which you were not informed of until that very moment
    4 - Step-grandma gets put into hospice, and there is literally no way to go see her right now, due to item #3

    This has been my life since Saturday.

    You guys. Life is such a fucking amazing and wonderful gift of wwowoowowowowwowoworffffg

  14. #3644
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,893
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Coworkers making fun of another coworker for being effeminate.

    My favorite part is that this coworker tried to drag me into the conversation and repeated what he was saying to me, as if I was going to laugh along with him. I didn't. Fortunately I have been lucky enough to avoid this kind of thing most of the time but sometimes people will say this stuff to me. It's funny what people will tell you when they assume you're a cisgender male (sexism, homophobia, you name it). They're wrong on both counts but even if they were right it's still kind of insulting that some people just assume you'd be cool with that stuff.

  15. #3645
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concrete Prairie, Texas
    Posts
    2,821
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Coworkers making fun of another coworker for being effeminate.

    My favorite part is that this coworker tried to drag me into the conversation and repeated what he was saying to me, as if I was going to laugh along with him. I didn't. Fortunately I have been lucky enough to avoid this kind of thing most of the time but sometimes people will say this stuff to me. It's funny what people will tell you when they assume you're a cisgender male (sexism, homophobia, you name it). They're wrong on both counts but even if they were right it's still kind of insulting that some people just assume you'd be cool with that stuff.
    This is why I never let people assume I'm cool with that kind of talk. Even my BF's 90 year old grandfather had to know I wasn't cool with him say 'wap' and the n-word in front of me. I just left the table. Stink eye is also a useful way of communicating "I'm not cool with this conversation" without yanking the guy's head off and yelling down his throat "STFU!"

    I have to say @theruniner, you seem to encounter these folks just about as much as the next person, but don't seem to have the confidence to tell them it's not cool. Are you afraid that standing up for tolerance with make you a target there?

  16. #3646
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,893
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I'm generally a very nonconfrontational person. For a variety of reasons, none of which is an excuse, really, but are legitimate reasons nonetheless I really am uncomfortable blatantly calling people on their shit like that, especially when I have to work with them and/or have them in my family and have to see them on a regular basis.

    That being said, I do sometimes say something. A few days ago a different coworker was trying to defend Bill Cosby (wat) and we got into a bit of a discussion/debate about it (I didn't get heated verbally but inside I was pretty pissed off). She actually said the words, "Why don't they leave that poor man alone?" I couldn't help myself and had to say something. Plus she was being VERY victim blamey which I just couldn't ignore. So sometimes I do definitely jump in, but many times it's just not a good idea to make a huge stink.

    Hypothetically me saying something to my coworker just now shouldn't have been a big deal but in reality it would have possibly made things ice cold between us or made things weird and I have to work with this guy every day, so.
    Last edited by theruiner; 07-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.

  17. #3647
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concrete Prairie, Texas
    Posts
    2,821
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I'm generally a very nonconfrontational person. For a variety of reasons, none of which is an excuse, really, but are legitimate reasons nonetheless I really am uncomfortable blatantly calling people on their shit like that, especially when I have to work with them and/or have them in my family and have to see them on a regular basis.

    .
    Oh @theruiner stick with me. I could teach you some techniques. Ask @Kid Charlemagne what a wonderfully confrontational person I can be. :P. Even better, just got a message from a cousin in AZ. Think I'll be getting a wedding invite. Be my plus 1!

  18. #3648
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,954
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Whoever invented a shootout for regular season hockey games... Why???

  19. #3649
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Oh @theruiner stick with me. I could teach you some techniques. Ask @Kid Charlemagne what a wonderfully confrontational person I can be. :P. Even better, just got a message from a cousin in AZ. Think I'll be getting a wedding invite. Be my plus 1!
    To be fair, I do enough shit talking for the both of us. It's that temper I acquired from the old country.

  20. #3650
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,266
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Embedded YouTube pages that won't go full-screen.

  21. #3651
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Ever have a moment when something becomes so crystal clear that it's almost painful how well you understand it? It's 4am and I've been having that moment for the past 2 hours about why the book "Go The Fuck To Sleep" was written.

  22. #3652
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Someone had a shirt that said something like "GUNS is the solution" or "GUNS is the answer". I'm anti-guns so this pissed me off incredibly. Yeah, if only those theater goers were carrying guns right? No one would be dead right?

  23. #3653
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hipster Hell, CA
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    Someone had a shirt that said something like "GUNS is the solution" or "GUNS is the answer". I'm anti-guns so this pissed me off incredibly. Yeah, if only those theater goers were carrying guns right? No one would be dead right?
    The horrible grammar would've pissed me off more.

  24. #3654
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Honestly, that might be me, it could have been grammatically correct. I just remember seeing it and getting wrapped up in my emotional reaction.

  25. #3655
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,166
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    A lady who was my step-grandma for like 20 years died yesterday. Because of me franticly searching for housing, I wasn't able to make it back to see her before she died, and I won't be able to make it to the funeral.

    Fuckin' sucks.

  26. #3656
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    553
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Those sick fucks that hunt for beautiful animals in Africa, then do that disgusting smug Smile with their trophy, its souless,..psychopathic behaviour, its really sick, this guy who killed Cecil the Lion deserves to be sent to jail in an African prison for a long time. He better be punished for this.

  27. #3657
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,256
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Those sick fucks that hunt for beautiful animals in Africa, then do that disgusting smug Smile with their trophy, its souless,..psychopathic behaviour, its really sick, this guy who killed Cecil the Lion deserves to be sent to jail in an African prison for a long time. He better be punished for this.
    he deserves to be eaten by a fucking lion is what he deserves.

  28. #3658
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    10,753
    Mentioned
    783 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Those sick fucks that hunt for beautiful animals in Africa, then do that disgusting smug Smile with their trophy, its souless,..psychopathic behaviour, its really sick, this guy who killed Cecil the Lion deserves to be sent to jail in an African prison for a long time. He better be punished for this.
    I totally agree, it's so disgusting, I hope all involved are shot to death. And kill Ted Nugent, too. We need to preserve these animals, and kill the assholes.

  29. #3659
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,426
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Those sick fucks that hunt for beautiful animals in Africa, then do that disgusting smug Smile with their trophy, its souless,..psychopathic behaviour, its really sick, this guy who killed Cecil the Lion deserves to be sent to jail in an African prison for a long time. He better be punished for this.
    Yeah I just posted about this in the random general headlines thread, i'm totally freaking out because I actually know this guy, he's my dentist.

    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...842#post264842

  30. #3660
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,256
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah I just posted about this in the random general headlines thread, i'm totally freaking out because I actually know this guy, he's my dentist.

    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...842#post264842
    i assume he won't be your dentist any more...right?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions