Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Loved it. Awesome fun move all around.

I'm gonna go see it at least one more time and drag the wife with me this time just because I want to see a sequel....And it was awesome!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Oh come on! Do At the Mountains of Madness already!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hmm, I'm going to see it on Wednesday but those news irritate me. Isn't the sheer scale and force of the battles what makes this movie stand above other right now? Some Del Toro magic aside... I don't think a second movie can suceeds on a quality level without them striving for bigger, better, faster.

I'd rather wish he would finally get going to do a final Hellboy to close the trilogy or as Alexandros suggested a Lovecraft movie. Who cares if Prometheus came before? Pacific Rim is pretty Lovecraft-ish on its own and I doubt the majority of the audience will notice anything.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw this yesterday w/ The Way, Way Back (a really great film) and I fucking enjoyed it. Here's my full review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2013/07/pacific-rim.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Who knew Tom Morello was involved with the soundtrack (only 4 tracks)? Odd news, but yeah, why not?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would watch this movie:

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this is great/awesome/good in every way that the Transformers movies have been awful and unforgivably annoying, and it's the best "Godzilla movie," period. I guess that counts the original King Kong too, and yeah, I'm just saying it's that fucking good. It could have wrapped up better, but fuck it, it's still on that level of "good."

IMHO

I'm almost a little scared by how much I liked this movie... I love you Guillermo Del Toro, and yeah, the Evangelion pandering was appreciated
    You win at the fun thing.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-01-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that earlier and all I can say is... OH HELL YEAH!!!!!! Show Michael Bay how it's done.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm almost a little scared by how much I liked this movie... I love you Guillermo Del Toro, and yeah, the Evangelion pandering was appreciated
    You win at the fun thing.
    Right?!
    You can just tell the dude worships anime. We have the same favorite manga :'). Or rather he has been trying to adapt my favorite manga for HBO.

I can't wait for the sequel. Also, the two leads are sexy as hell can't wait to see them on screen again.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Really glad he's getting to make a sequel. First one was far from perfect but I liked it a lot.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Projected date: April 7th, 2017

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "[Screenwriter Zak Penn] and I really went in, we started with [screenwriter Travis Beacham] about a year and a half ago, kicking ideas back and forth. And, admittedly, I said to Zak, let's keep kicking ideas till we find one that really, really turns the first movie on its ear."

"It was hard to create a world that did not come from a comic book, that had its own mythology, so we had to sacrifice many aspects to be able to cram everything in the first movie. Namely, for example 'the Drift,' which was an interesting concept. [Then there was] this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe. What were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea. I don't want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own. They're very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I just watched this last night.

What a fantastic movie. Really, just everything about it was phenomenal. It was exactly what it needed to be, with the depth to carry it and really make it shine.

Really glad there's a sequel on the way.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Del Toro discusses Crimson Peak, Pacific Rim 2, and the Justice League Dark television series.

Main points for those that don't want to sit through the 13+ minutes:

Crimson Peak - Going to be a gothic fantasy thriller, lots of fantasy a la Pan's Labyrinth but also with lots of horror and 'brutality'.
    Pacific Rim 2 - In terms of story, will expand on the other universe a bit more, there will be more daytime fights, new Jaegers and Kaiju. Hunnam, Day, and Perlman (and more) confirmed to return. Will most likely be second part of a planned trilogy (depending on how successful PR2 is)
    Justice League Dark - Will most likely be exclusive from the television DC 'world' but open to anything, would be open to the actor in this fall's "Constantine" television series to play the role in the movie.

Oh and Hellboy 3 - 'Everyone's working for it...but the money men.' 'Have you heard of a little thing called Kickstarter?' 'Yes, but we'll need about 120-130 million...'

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I love Pacific Rim and I cant wait for the sequel, but more than that even i woukd like to see Del Toro return to form. He is one of the worlds best living filmmakers and that talent is squandered when used for movies about giant robots that pay homage to anime. Pacific Rim is great. Pans Labyrinth and the Devil's Backbone are k. A completely different level though, and Id like to see more of that.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Really sad I missed this in theaters...especially IMAX/3D theaters.

BAH!

But I RedBoxed it a bunch of times and bought two copies of the DVD so w/e. I certainly did my part for the sequel, lol.

Hopefully, I'll catch an IMAX/3D re-release someday!

Anyway, I posted something about this movie in the thread for Gravity the other day and thought I'd better go ahead and about it HERE too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Right before watching Gravity I happened to watch Pacific Rim with del Toro's director's commentary track on. Obviously, he's collaborated with Cuarón a lot and makes several references to developing Pacific Rim with occasional input from him. So given their friendly spirit of cooperation AND the fact that both films were in production at the same time (both with conversion-input from James Cameron, too) I couldn't help but wonder about the red shoes.

In his commentary, del Toro goes on and on at length about the "color coding" of the film, in particular the association of the color red with the "heart" and "life" of the characters, specifically Mako...linking it in particular with her red shoe from the day she met Pentecost after losing her family.

An, lo and behold, two hours later I'm watching del Toro's buddy Cuarón's movie from the same year and noticing that Stone asks Kowalski to tell her dead daughter that she found her favorite RED shoe under the bed after she'd died and not to worry.

Not that red shoes are that uncommon on little girls or anything, but given the overwhelmingly similar applications in near-simultaneous productions by long-time collaborators and friends who thank each other in the credits of these two films...well, I'm just sayin'!

Wondered if anyone else caught that or if it's maybe been mentioned by either of them anywhere.
    The red shoe WAS a bit more of a big deal in THIS movie so I figured maybe fans of Pacific Rim would have more of an idea what I'm talking about and know a little more about what's going on between the two movies there.

Anyone know anything about this?

It seems like it should've been mentioned in an interview somewhere or something.

Just curious, thanks.

:)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Del Toro talks about the sequel.

tl;dr: Some characters return. Some don't...until the end, to hopefully set up a third and final movie.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm excited for this one. New kaijus and new Jaegers are a must.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Heard about this yesterday ... Still cannot wait.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well fuck. For the same reason that Tron 3 got axed, Pacific Rim: Maelstrom has been delayed indefinitely.

So yeah, Pacific Rim 2? FUCK IT. Hellboy III and Tron 3? NAHHH. Fantastic Four 2? FULL STEAM AHEAD, FUCKERS.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, now del Toro says PR: Maelstrom is still happening.

Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Well, now del Toro says PR: Maelstrom is still happening.

Fingers crossed.
    Ya but to him "still happening" means he'll still write it, but the people with the money, say no pacific rim 2.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Ya but to him "still happening" means he'll still write it, but the people with the money, say no pacific rim 2.
    Very true. The fact that they're 'turning in the screenplay and budget' is only 1% of the battle.

del Toro: "Here's what we got, when do we start filming?"
    exec: "lol."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Though it's officially been delayed...though not indefinitely...del Toro met up with Maisie Williams from GoT and wants her for a role in PR2.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i wanted to like Pacific Rim, i really did. And i tried but for the most part it's terrible. Del torro is extremely hit or miss with me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    i wanted to like Pacific Rim, i really did. And i tried but for the most part it's terrible. Del torro is extremely hit or miss with me.
    I'm the same. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece though. He'll have to make dozens of crap movies before I call him a bad director just because of that one movie.