Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79
Results 2,341 to 2,364 of 2364

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

  1. #2341
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Sean Hannity is a stupid asshole. I'm now convinced we're starting to live in a Fascist state.

  2. #2342
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Ted Nugent: GUNS R GREAT! HOORAY FOR GUNS!! SHOOT BARACK OBAMA!

    Also Ted Nugent: No, you can't fucking bring guns to my concert, r u insane?!. Look at other mass shootings. That shit is bad. No guns allowed at MY show.

    What a fucking wanker.

  3. #2343
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    3d printed guns here's my deal, look i don't really care here is an issue when it blows up in someones hand or kills someone that has nothing to do with the intent of the gun printed guns intent it's not a issue of second amendment, but public safety same way as kit cars or airplanes are highly regulated if you want to fly around in a plane you slapped to together in your garage have at but when said plane falls out of the sky and kills people who had no say there is issue as the prophet Paul Simon said,"these are the days of miracle and wonder"
    -louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 07-30-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clean up on isle 5

  4. #2344
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,203
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Of course you are liable for harming someone with any of your possessions, regardless how you procured it.

    The new coverage and political rhetoric from our politicians on this topic is so immensely bad that I am just shocked. And considering how low my expectations are for these people, thatís saying a lot.


    The recent actions by 21+ state Attorney Generals trying to block this website from being viewed by their citizens is China grade bullshit. And now we have a Washington judge manage to temporarily block the site for the entire country. There are some HUGE first amendment issues here and itís going to unwind in fascinating ways. I said this day was coming... it just took 5 years to get here. Hopefully whatís next is a SCOTUS ruling that blueprints (just like code) is speech. And Iíd love to see SCOTUS strip local judges of having nation-wide impact like this.


    But hey, letís hear it for a tiny little group of Anarchists who wouldnít back down from a fight with the government. They made the DoJ rewrite ITAR, pay their legal fees, and even admit that the AR-15 is not inherently military. This is REAL politics. Fuck your vote. Now a bunch of state Dems, even some Republicans, and a confused Trump are going to step up to the plate? Letís fucking do it!

  5. #2345
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been hearing things about how 3D-printed guns are essentially useless, except for perhaps suicide. Anyone here with more knowledge on this?

  6. #2346
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,203
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I've been hearing things about how 3D-printed guns are essentially useless, except for perhaps suicide. Anyone here with more knowledge on this?
    Iíve been extremely close to this whole thing for the last 5 years. Iíve invested time and resources into helping the foundation of the ďdigital firearmĒ. Iíll tell you whatever you want.

    The first thing to know is that almost 100% of the last week or two of news coverage is saturated with factually incorrect info, including everything politicians are saying. This is about any digital file that can tell a machine how to produce a firearm. 3D printers, milling machines, CNC machines, etc. There was only one 3D file on DefDistís site, but politicians want it ALL censored.

    Specifications on firearms have always been available to the public. Hell the AR-15 specs were put into the public domain by our own military. This is just like how the Anarchist Cookbook was primarily built from public info, like Army manuals. The info isnít illegal, the act of producing things with the info is.

    We already know that code qualifies as speech. Itís been through court. We know that machine instructions are nothing more than a digital representation of the specifications that are public. Itís more speech. This is why the federal govt decided to settle they 5yr legal situation. They couldnít win it, and it would have turned into a SCOTUS ruling that wasnít in their favor.

    But now state govts are acting like China and trying to block a single website. Itís ridiculous. Especially when you realize that those files are all over the internet. With any luck, these idiots will produce the SCOTUS rulings that, once again, says code is speech.


    And to touch on your original question: yes the one 3D file that DefDist has, the Liberator, is a single shot novelty. All the panic over it is uninformed and intentional marketing. Even the ďomg canít be detected by metal detectorsĒ bullshit is dumb because A: the design includes a huge chunk of metal for legal compliance, and B: ammunition shows up very clearly on metal detectors.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 08-27-2018 at 04:00 PM.

  7. #2347
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    san fransisco
    Posts
    1,257
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I’ve been extremely close to this whole thing for the last 5 years. I’ve invested time and resources into helping the foundation of the “digital firearm”. I’ll tell you whatever you want.

    The first thing to know is that almost 100% of the last week or two of news coverage is saturated with factually incorrect info, including everything politicians are saying. This is about any digital file that can tell a machine how to produce a firearm. 3D printers, milking machines, CNC machines, etc. There was only one 3D file on DefDist’s site, but politicians want it ALL censored.

    Specifications on firearms have always been available to the public. Hell the AR-15 specs were put into the public domain by our own military. This is just like how the Anarchist Cookbook was primarily built from public info, like Army manuals. The info isn’t illegal, the act of producing things with the info is.

    We already know that code qualifies as speech. It’s been through court. We know that machine instructions are nothing more than a digital representation of the specifications that are public. It’s more speech. This is why the federal govt decided to settle they 5yr legal situation. They couldn’t win it, and it would have turned into a SCOTUS ruling that wasn’t in their favor.

    But now state govts are acting like China and trying to block a single website. It’s ridiculous. Especially when you realize that those files are all over the internet. With any luck, these idiots will produce the SCOTUS rulings that, once again, says code is speech.


    And to touch on your original question: yes the one 3D file that DefDist has, the Liberator, is a single shot novelty. All the panic over it is uninformed and intentional marketing. Even the “omg can’t be detected by metal detectors” bullshit is dumb because A: the design includes a huge chunk of metal for legal compliance, and B: ammunition shows up very clearly on metal detectors.
    agree with everything you stated, again hype and fear hyping, i want go as far as using a term like' fake news". but news is much more basically an infomercial, remember fear and sex or not getting sex are the two biggest marketing tools known to man. i may have stated before but when i grew up my next door neighbor wa ex airborne. so i went to i ton of gun shows i'd usually drive him home because he'd get to fucked up holding court with his war buddies. look i was too young to buy gun but ok to drve him home which i wasn't point is i bought books like anarchists cookbook and how to kill vol 1-5, you def buy parts to make serviceable weapon we had zip guns, but you'd be shy some brain cells to use one.
    -Louie

  8. #2348
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,215
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Mass shooting at Jacksonville Landing in Florida.

    Fuck, this livestream shows that it started during a Madden 19 video game tournament...
    Last edited by october_midnight; 08-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.

  9. #2349
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    First time clicking on this thread because I thought it was an enthusiast thread and I wanted to talk about the 1927 FN Browning Auto-5 I just scored for $200, but it looks like ill have to go elsewhere...

  10. #2350
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Why did you still post about it?

  11. #2351
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    I'm in England right now. Lot of people today telling me they "don't understand America".

    Neither do I, friends. Neither do I.

  12. #2352
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe it's time we start classifying nerd rage as a subcategory of terrorism.

  13. #2353
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    First time clicking on this thread because I thought it was an enthusiast thread and I wanted to talk about the 1927 FN Browning Auto-5 I just scored for $200, but it looks like ill have to go elsewhere...
    Sometimes you can just not say anything. Try that sometime.

  14. #2354
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Maybe it's time we start classifying nerd rage as a subcategory of terrorism.
    It's toxic masculinity, and yeah, absolutely a thing if not the dominant factor in why people do this shit most of the time.

  15. #2355
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,087
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Is "toxic masculinity" a professional term people use in homicide cases?

    Because I don't see it helping anyone. These are almost all people who struggle with various forms of mental health problems, and I feel that shrugging it all off with an expression that implies that they are just the wrong type of men is not exactly a helpful thing to do. In this era of trying to be more kind and acceptable towards one-another, this rather condescending and derogatory term sure gets thrown around a lot.

    It's also hard to take it seriously, when it became such a buzzword attributed to the most minuscule things and mass shootings alike. At least when back in the day the derogatory term was "fucking weirdos/lunatics" it implied mental issues.

  16. #2356
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Is "toxic masculinity" a professional term people use in homicide cases?

    Because I don't see it helping anyone. These are almost all people who struggle with various forms of mental health problems, and I feel that shrugging it all off with an expression that implies that they are just the wrong type of men is not exactly a helpful thing to do. In this era of trying to be more kind and acceptable towards one-another, this rather condescending and derogatory term sure gets thrown around a lot.

    It's also hard to take it seriously, when it became such a buzzword attributed to the most minuscule things and mass shootings alike. At least when back in the day the derogatory term was "fucking weirdos/lunatics" it implied mental issues.
    Your post is obtuse. Toxic Masculinity refers to men needing to show off their superiority (mentally, physically, etc.) by putting down and suppressing others (usually cis and non-cis gendered women and people of color) to show off.

    It helps to call it out when seen. Confining incidents like these to JUST people with mental issues is degrading and offensive to those who deal with mental issues and only further stigmatizes them... which is not helping anyone.

  17. #2357
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,087
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Your post is obtuse. Toxic Masculinity refers to men needing to show off their superiority (mentally, physically, etc.) by putting down and suppressing others (usually cis and non-cis gendered women and people of color) to show off.

    It helps to call it out when seen. Confining incidents like these to JUST people with mental issues is degrading and offensive to those who deal with mental issues and only further stigmatizes them... which is not helping anyone.
    What is our source on that he had no mental issues? Mind you, not having a hefty medical record =/= sane person, could be just unchecked.

    It's a very weak narrative where he goes gun-frenzy just because he lost in a competition. Especially when sources mentioned how he was already very strange during the tournament, uncharacteristically keeping to himself.

    It's strange how that school shooter got "breastfed" by certain people, and it was borderline implied that it's understandable why that massacre happened, but in this case it's just "lul, nerd rage xd".

    In a somewhat related topic, (which barely touches the surface about this stuff), and he mentioned how we can look at many of the mass shootings as suicide. So these people are not killing others and then gunning themselves as well in panic; they want to commit suicide in the first place, they just want to do it - to use his exact words - with a bang.

    I don't know what the prize pool for that tournament was, but maybe it was his last all-in to try to get back on track and losing meant he is screwed financially. I don't know, but in any way, it's rather presumptuous to just assume he was a healthy person who couldn't handle defeat.

    It's probably a demagogue statement, but I'd bet even the families of the victims would rather have a proper investigation which may or may not result in better tools to battle future incidents like these, than labeling it as another case of an angry white man.

    Also also, in sexual offence related topics people tend to go apeshit when someone makes a generalized assumption like this. Ie. "there's probably more to the story she didn't tell" and then all hell breaks lose, because that statement is offensive.

  18. #2358
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    What is our source on that he had no mental issues? Mind you, not having a hefty medical record =/= sane person, could be just unchecked.

    It's a very weak narrative where he goes gun-frenzy just because he lost in a competition. Especially when sources mentioned how he was already very strange during the tournament, uncharacteristically keeping to himself.

    It's strange how that school shooter got "breastfed" by certain people, and it was borderline implied that it's understandable why that massacre happened, but in this case it's just "lul, nerd rage xd".

    In a somewhat related topic, (which barely touches the surface about this stuff), and he mentioned how we can look at many of the mass shootings as suicide. So these people are not killing others and then gunning themselves as well in panic; they want to commit suicide in the first place, they just want to do it - to use his exact words - with a bang.

    I don't know what the prize pool for that tournament was, but maybe it was his last all-in to try to get back on track and losing meant he is screwed financially. I don't know, but in any way, it's rather presumptuous to just assume he was a healthy person who couldn't handle defeat.

    It's probably a demagogue statement, but I'd bet even the families of the victims would rather have a proper investigation which may or may not result in better tools to battle future incidents like these, than labeling it as another case of an angry white man.

    Also also, in sexual offence related topics people tend to go apeshit when someone makes a generalized assumption like this. Ie. "there's probably more to the story she didn't tell" and then all hell breaks lose, because that statement is offensive.
    I never said the shooter didn't have mental issues - It has been reported that the shooter was in treatment since he was 12. However, simply hand-waiving and dismissing these shooters as JUST having mental issues that contributed to this is degrading and offensive to those that deal with mental issues and that it further stigmatizes them. It also doesn't address the issue of toxic masculinity and doesn't address the larger problem here - that we have too many fucking guns and that they're too easy to get ahold of.

  19. #2359
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,087
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    According to that expert fella guns """"just"""" increases fatality rates, but not the number of acts themselves. So yeah, I definitely agree that it's a huge problem, but the casualty rate and the occurence of these events are different beasts entirely.

  20. #2360
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    It's interesting to me that people are comfortable citing "mental issues" yet the way men are socialized differently is long acknowledged within actual psychology. See: the fact that the vast majority of narcissists are men, etc. Genders are socialized differently. Toxic masculinity is absolutely one of the main if not *the* main contributing factor to these crimes as a whole and and is far more credible than strawmanning "but mental illness" in there. We have to start socializing young men, particularly young white men, differently.

  21. #2361
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,087
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    It's off-topic, but I'll bite. How do you imagine socializing young men differently?

    The way I see it, you can only influence parents and teachers; I'd like to add media to the list, but you can't change that - if romanticizing mass shooters,encouraging "alpha male" and "stupid-sexy girl"-like behavior is what's profitable, they will continue to do so. Once the kids are "out there", they are on their own. You can't artificially influence which young men will become popular and well-liked in their class, and which ones will get bullied. You can't artificially change the fact that young men will be spending their free time doing sports like soccer with their boy friends, and girls will be absent, and you can't artificially change the dynamic of courtship between young people. I find it a rather low blow to throw toxic masculinity around, when its the result of all those thousands of years of human civilization. Genders are held to different standards and face different problems and hardships as they mature; it's not "fair", but I'd rather spend time and resources on giving better opportunities to these people to understand this (and that they are, or at least could be normal), than to make an attempt to artificially interfere in one's gender identity. The latter can also result in some serious imbalance (ie. you can daydream about how men should be, but the average women might not be attracted to that), resulting in even more emotional stress and confusion.

    Right now, if you are kid who is being treated like shit at home and being bullied at school, your best bet is hoping that there will be sufficient medication to your inevitable mental problems once you reach a mature age. That's bollocks, and until it's not solved, telling young men that "oohh honey, you are just another victim of your gender, better luck next time " is just oil to the fire. Is it in the UK where you can just walk into the police station, confess you are a pedophile and get proper treatment instead of being handcuffed and imprisoned? I know there's a country where it goes like this, and it helps.

    It would be a great start if people with mental issues (yes, these are real and treatable conditions, even if you are rolling your eyes) would know for sure, that there are "official" (I meant to say people with authority, don't know the proper word) people whom they can confess ANYTHING, without throwing their life away. You go in, you tell them you are seriously considering murdering your mates because you feel that the walls are closing in, and no one is on your side, and you would get help. Sure, it sounds like wishful thinking, and maybe it's an impossible scenario, but there has to be ways to improve the methods we tackle these issues with.

    Can't add much to the gun laws argument, as I'm not from the US, so I could just repeat the same "your country is very strange to me..." mantra that helps no-one. But I say this: as much as I (and everyone with a brain) agree with making stricter laws as to how and when you can acquire assault rifles, it's still not the heart of the problem. To me, circlejerking about gun and them being evil is just as bad as the media making rockstar from shooters. Yeah, it's bollocks that they had those kind of weapons, but for Christ sake, if only you would be half as enthusiastic to tackle the problems which causes people wanting to murder others, that would be great.

    I bet there are parents out there who neglect their children to the point of (indirectly) causing them permanent damages, but go to every anti-gun rally and think they are being the voice of change.

  22. #2362
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,775
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    It's off-topic, but I'll bite. How do you imagine socializing young men differently?
    It's only off topic if you don't view it as a primary contributor to the issue of gun violence and mass killings. I'm going to link you to things that are detailed and extensive. I'm not going to summarize something here, because that is a lot of work for no reason when the articles are great and there has been a lot of thought around this topic by very qualified people. Read them if you want.

    https://qz.com/1095247/the-sociologi...-gun-violence/

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e-dean-windass

    https://www.wired.com/story/the-stru...c-masculinity/

    than to make an attempt to artificially interfere in one's gender identity. The latter can also result in some serious imbalance (ie. you can daydream about how men should be, but the average women might not be attracted to that), resulting in even more emotional stress and confusion.
    I don't think any reasonable person is advocating for or suggesting this?

    Right now, if you are kid who is being treated like shit at home and being bullied at school, your best bet is hoping that there will be sufficient medication to your inevitable mental problems once you reach a mature age. That's bollocks, and until it's not solved, telling young men that "oohh honey, you are just another victim of your gender, better luck next time " is just oil to the fire.
    Do you like... what... who is saying that... Look, I want to assume you mean well, but that's an absurd comparison to draw.

    It would be a great start if people with mental issues (yes, these are real and treatable conditions, even if you are rolling your eyes) would know for sure
    What mental issues do you think pre-dispose someone to commit a mass killing? I absolutely agree that we should have better mental health care that doesn't condemn people seeking help and makes that accessible, but I am not sure how much you actually know about this topic.

    Can't add much to the gun laws argument, as I'm not from the US, so I could just repeat the same "your country is very strange to me..." mantra that helps no-one. But I say this: as much as I (and everyone with a brain) agree with making stricter laws as to how and when you can acquire assault rifles, it's still not the heart of the problem. To me, circlejerking about gun and them being evil is just as bad as the media making rockstar from shooters. Yeah, it's bollocks that they had those kind of weapons, but for Christ sake, if only you would be half as enthusiastic to tackle the problems which causes people wanting to murder others, that would be great.
    Totally. And one of the primary risk factors for committing a mass killing is being a white man. We have to change how we are socializing young men and boys. How so? See above.

  23. #2363
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,203
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    BREAKING: Owner of company that makes untraceable 3D-printed guns says he's begun selling plans online, despite court order.

    https://twitter.com/ap/status/1034484407917334528?s=21

    🤣

    Gun control conversations are the best.

  24. #2364
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,203
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    BREAKING: Owner of company that makes untraceable 3D-printed guns says he's begun selling plans online, despite court order.

    https://twitter.com/ap/status/1034484407917334528?s=21

    🤣

    Gun control conversations are the best.
    FYI the media has no idea wtf they are talking about. And politicians are acting like theyíve stopped the files.

    Here is what the actual court doc says. People are fucking dumb.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions