Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 2907

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This MUST CHANGE.

3 men charged with trafficking dozens of guns bought over Armslist.com to Chicago gang members

Among the startling aspects of the probe by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was that many of the trafficked weapons were recovered by law enforcement within weeks or months of their resale — a metric known as “time to crime” that’s often used to identify guns that are being illegally trafficked.

One gun sold outside Louisville in December 2016 was used just four months later in an armed carjacking in west suburban Westchester, according to the complaint. Another, purchased in May 2017, was found within three months on a man arrested for pointing the gun at someone during a verbal altercation on the street. Other weapons tied to the trafficking scheme quickly turned up during narcotics investigations, court-authorized searches or hidden under car seats during traffic stops, according to the charges.

Armslist has come under increased scrutiny by gun control advocates in recent years because the online marketplace does not require a would-be purchaser to register or identify himself or herself in any way. In a 2017 gun trace report, the city of Chicago noted that the number of guns available on Armslist had jumped to 148,000 from 12,000 — a 12-fold increase — since 2011.

The Chicago Tribune has reported that the Glock pistol used to kill Chicago police Cmdr. Paul Bauer had been sold through Armslist to a Milwaukee man in 2017 before winding up in the hands of a convicted felon who allegedly shot Bauer during a confrontation outside the Thompson Center in February.

Armslist has also been at the center of at least two federal lawsuits in recent years in Illinois and Wisconsin alleging that its failure to screen potential buyers has led to acts of violence.

In 2011, Demetry Smirnov, a Russian immigrant living in Canada, purchased a handgun though Armslist from a Seattle man even though federal law prohibits a private seller from transferring a firearm to residents of another state or country, the lawsuit alleged. Smirnov then went to a strip mall in west suburban Oak Brook and used the gun to fatally shoot Jitka Vesel, a woman he'd been accused of stalking.

A year later in Milwaukee, Radcliffe Haughton bought a gun on Armslist even though he'd been named in a restraining order filed by his wife and therefore barred by state and federal law from possessing a firearm, another lawsuit alleged. Days later, he entered the spa and salon where his wife worked and opened fire, killing her and two others and wounding four. He then turned the gun on himself.

The Illinois case was thrown out by a federal judge who ruled that Armslist merely facilitated the posting of ads for gun sales and was not responsible for vetting potential buyers.

The Wisconsin suit was also dismissed on similar grounds, records show.

Armslist could not be reached for comment, but lawyers for the site have noted in the past that users must click that they agree not to use its website for any illegal purpose.

According to the charges unveiled Tuesday, Wright is a member of the “Coco and Cornell gang,” a faction of the Conservative Vice Lords named after two 16-year-old associates who were fatally shot in 2012.

Henderson and Phillips used various names and email addresses to contact sellers via Armslist, including one email address that was registered in the name “Kobe Bryant,” according to the complaint. Several of the sellers interviewed by ATF agents identified Henderson as the person who purchased the weapons and described his white “muscle car,” and cellphone records placed both Henderson and Phillips at the scenes of many of the transactions, according to the charges.

Wright, meanwhile, acted as a broker, using Facebook and other means to advertise the weapons purchased by Henderson and Phillips to his fellow gang members, according to the complaint.

The charges included a number of Facebook photographs Wright allegedly posted of weapons for sale — including handguns with extended clips and laser sights, military-style rifles and machine pistols.

In one transaction from August 2017, Wright sent a photo of nine handguns, an AR rifle and a bag filled with ammunition to a known gang member along with a price of $2,000, the charges alleged.

After the gang member balked at the cost, Wright renegotiated a deal for six of the handguns — a conversation that was all captured on Facebook, the charges alleged.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Speaking of Chicago....

(Before anyone freaks the hell out - yes, it's a sculpture promoting gun control. We haven't gotten quite this stupid...yet.)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I don't see a problem with that. If it takes a good guy with a gun, let's make sure all the good guys have them! Just remember to return it when you're done, or there's a late fee.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    This just in.... another school shooting in Noblesville, Indiana: https://apnews.com/3054e67879c740fdb...source=Twitter

And this is what really happening in America:

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Given recent and never ending events, here's a topical little ditty that sounds all too familiar.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    my nephews go to school near there, everyone their dad is a gun owner and trump supporter called to check if everything was OK, said "i don't want to hear anything about politics! and hung up, sorry your brother is a liberal Californian nut-job sorry if i give -Louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Great. Mentally unstable person (who somehow had a license) shot up a restaurant in Oklahoma, and was stopped by - you guessed it - "good guys with guns". Naturally, Fox and the NRA are both jerking off about how "good guys with guns" are the solution, while completely ignoring the fact that a guy who was posting youtube videos about demons and being attacked by his refrigerator was legally allowed to buy a gun.

We don't need MORE people with guns. We need fewer. Far, far, far, far fewer.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There's innocent people being killed by those who shouldn't be holding guns yet our dictator is more concerned about football players needing to stand up for the national anthem as well as pardon a dead boxer as a distraction for his failure with North Korea. America! We're the stupidest country on planet Earth. Hooray! Let's clap our hands for being morons!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I sincerely hope that these two events are unrelated. We'll likely find out more in a few hours.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    When your President calls the press the "enemy of the people", no one should be surprised to see journalists getting shot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's pretty ingenious how he created a character that looks like him, acts like him and believes what he believes.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Official: Suspect in newspaper shooting mutilated his fingers in apparent effort to prevent him from being easily ID'd. https://t.co/traQdcoT7Y

Jesus christ...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-28-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Sean Hannity is a stupid asshole. I'm now convinced we're starting to live in a Fascist state.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ted Nugent: GUNS R GREAT! HOORAY FOR GUNS!! SHOOT BARACK OBAMA!

Also Ted Nugent: No, you can't fucking bring guns to my concert, r u insane?!. Look at other mass shootings. That shit is bad. No guns allowed at MY show.

What a fucking wanker.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    3d printed guns here's my deal, look i don't really care here is an issue when it blows up in someones hand or kills someone that has nothing to do with the intent of the gun printed guns intent it's not a issue of second amendment, but public safety same way as kit cars or airplanes are highly regulated if you want to fly around in a plane you slapped to together in your garage have at but when said plane falls out of the sky and kills people who had no say there is issue as the prophet Paul Simon said,"these are the days of miracle and wonder"
    -louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 07-30-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clean up on isle 5

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've been hearing things about how 3D-printed guns are essentially useless, except for perhaps suicide. Anyone here with more knowledge on this?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I’ve been extremely close to this whole thing for the last 5 years. I’ve invested time and resources into helping the foundation of the “digital firearm”. I’ll tell you whatever you want.

The first thing to know is that almost 100% of the last week or two of news coverage is saturated with factually incorrect info, including everything politicians are saying. This is about any digital file that can tell a machine how to produce a firearm. 3D printers, milking machines, CNC machines, etc. There was only one 3D file on DefDist’s site, but politicians want it ALL censored.

Specifications on firearms have always been available to the public. Hell the AR-15 specs were put into the public domain by our own military. This is just like how the Anarchist Cookbook was primarily built from public info, like Army manuals. The info isn’t illegal, the act of producing things with the info is.

We already know that code qualifies as speech. It’s been through court. We know that machine instructions are nothing more than a digital representation of the specifications that are public. It’s more speech. This is why the federal govt decided to settle they 5yr legal situation. They couldn’t win it, and it would have turned into a SCOTUS ruling that wasn’t in their favor.

But now state govts are acting like China and trying to block a single website. It’s ridiculous. Especially when you realize that those files are all over the internet. With any luck, these idiots will produce the SCOTUS rulings that, once again, says code is speech.

And to touch on your original question: yes the one 3D file that DefDist has, the Liberator, is a single shot novelty. All the panic over it is uninformed and intentional marketing. Even the “omg can’t be detected by metal detectors” bullshit is dumb because A: the design includes a huge chunk of metal for legal compliance, and B: ammunition shows up very clearly on metal detectors.
    agree with everything you stated, again hype and fear hyping, i want go as far as using a term like' fake news". but news is much more basically an infomercial, remember fear and sex or not getting sex are the two biggest marketing tools known to man. i may have stated before but when i grew up my next door neighbor wa ex airborne. so i went to i ton of gun shows i'd usually drive him home because he'd get to fucked up holding court with his war buddies. look i was too young to buy gun but ok to drve him home which i wasn't point is i bought books like anarchists cookbook and how to kill vol 1-5, you def buy parts to make serviceable weapon we had zip guns, but you'd be shy some brain cells to use one.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mass shooting at Jacksonville Landing in Florida.

Fuck, this livestream shows that it started during a Madden 19 video game tournament...
    Last edited by october_midnight; 08-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    First time clicking on this thread because I thought it was an enthusiast thread and I wanted to talk about the 1927 FN Browning Auto-5 I just scored for $200, but it looks like ill have to go elsewhere...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Why did you still post about it?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm in England right now. Lot of people today telling me they "don't understand America".

Neither do I, friends. Neither do I.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Maybe it's time we start classifying nerd rage as a subcategory of terrorism.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    First time clicking on this thread because I thought it was an enthusiast thread and I wanted to talk about the 1927 FN Browning Auto-5 I just scored for $200, but it looks like ill have to go elsewhere...
    Sometimes you can just not say anything. Try that sometime.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Maybe it's time we start classifying nerd rage as a subcategory of terrorism.
    It's toxic masculinity, and yeah, absolutely a thing if not the dominant factor in why people do this shit most of the time.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Is "toxic masculinity" a professional term people use in homicide cases?

Because I don't see it helping anyone. These are almost all people who struggle with various forms of mental health problems, and I feel that shrugging it all off with an expression that implies that they are just the wrong type of men is not exactly a helpful thing to do. In this era of trying to be more kind and acceptable towards one-another, this rather condescending and derogatory term sure gets thrown around a lot.

It's also hard to take it seriously, when it became such a buzzword attributed to the most minuscule things and mass shootings alike. At least when back in the day the derogatory term was "fucking weirdos/lunatics" it implied mental issues.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Is "toxic masculinity" a professional term people use in homicide cases?

Because I don't see it helping anyone. These are almost all people who struggle with various forms of mental health problems, and I feel that shrugging it all off with an expression that implies that they are just the wrong type of men is not exactly a helpful thing to do. In this era of trying to be more kind and acceptable towards one-another, this rather condescending and derogatory term sure gets thrown around a lot.

It's also hard to take it seriously, when it became such a buzzword attributed to the most minuscule things and mass shootings alike. At least when back in the day the derogatory term was "fucking weirdos/lunatics" it implied mental issues.
    Your post is obtuse. Toxic Masculinity refers to men needing to show off their superiority (mentally, physically, etc.) by putting down and suppressing others (usually cis and non-cis gendered women and people of color) to show off.

It helps to call it out when seen. Confining incidents like these to JUST people with mental issues is degrading and offensive to those who deal with mental issues and only further stigmatizes them... which is not helping anyone.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Your post is obtuse. Toxic Masculinity refers to men needing to show off their superiority (mentally, physically, etc.) by putting down and suppressing others (usually cis and non-cis gendered women and people of color) to show off.

It helps to call it out when seen. Confining incidents like these to JUST people with mental issues is degrading and offensive to those who deal with mental issues and only further stigmatizes them... which is not helping anyone.
    What is our source on that he had no mental issues? Mind you, not having a hefty medical record =/= sane person, could be just unchecked.

It's a very weak narrative where he goes gun-frenzy just because he lost in a competition. Especially when sources mentioned how he was already very strange during the tournament, uncharacteristically keeping to himself.

It's strange how that school shooter got "breastfed" by certain people, and it was borderline implied that it's understandable why that massacre happened, but in this case it's just "lul, nerd rage xd".

In a somewhat related topic, (which barely touches the surface about this stuff), and he mentioned how we can look at many of the mass shootings as suicide. So these people are not killing others and then gunning themselves as well in panic; they want to commit suicide in the first place, they just want to do it - to use his exact words - with a bang.

I don't know what the prize pool for that tournament was, but maybe it was his last all-in to try to get back on track and losing meant he is screwed financially. I don't know, but in any way, it's rather presumptuous to just assume he was a healthy person who couldn't handle defeat.

It's probably a demagogue statement, but I'd bet even the families of the victims would rather have a proper investigation which may or may not result in better tools to battle future incidents like these, than labeling it as another case of an angry white man.

Also also, in sexual offence related topics people tend to go apeshit when someone makes a generalized assumption like this. Ie. "there's probably more to the story she didn't tell" and then all hell breaks lose, because that statement is offensive.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    What is our source on that he had no mental issues? Mind you, not having a hefty medical record =/= sane person, could be just unchecked.

It's a very weak narrative where he goes gun-frenzy just because he lost in a competition. Especially when sources mentioned how he was already very strange during the tournament, uncharacteristically keeping to himself.

It's strange how that school shooter got "breastfed" by certain people, and it was borderline implied that it's understandable why that massacre happened, but in this case it's just "lul, nerd rage xd".

In a somewhat related topic, (which barely touches the surface about this stuff), and he mentioned how we can look at many of the mass shootings as suicide. So these people are not killing others and then gunning themselves as well in panic; they want to commit suicide in the first place, they just want to do it - to use his exact words - with a bang.

I don't know what the prize pool for that tournament was, but maybe it was his last all-in to try to get back on track and losing meant he is screwed financially. I don't know, but in any way, it's rather presumptuous to just assume he was a healthy person who couldn't handle defeat.

It's probably a demagogue statement, but I'd bet even the families of the victims would rather have a proper investigation which may or may not result in better tools to battle future incidents like these, than labeling it as another case of an angry white man.

Also also, in sexual offence related topics people tend to go apeshit when someone makes a generalized assumption like this. Ie. "there's probably more to the story she didn't tell" and then all hell breaks lose, because that statement is offensive.
    I never said the shooter didn't have mental issues - It has been reported that the shooter was in treatment since he was 12. However, simply hand-waiving and dismissing these shooters as JUST having mental issues that contributed to this is degrading and offensive to those that deal with mental issues and that it further stigmatizes them. It also doesn't address the issue of toxic masculinity and doesn't address the larger problem here - that we have too many fucking guns and that they're too easy to get ahold of.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    According to that expert fella guns """"just"""" increases fatality rates, but not the number of acts themselves. So yeah, I definitely agree that it's a huge problem, but the casualty rate and the occurence of these events are different beasts entirely.