Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And what bugs me the most, I think, is that the gun nuts tend to oppose universal health care. They don't have a problem with someone being able to get an AK-47 but there will be hell to pay if a poor family uses taxpayer money to pay for treatment for a schizophrenic relative.

Here's where I stand:
    1. Reinstate the assault-weapon and automatic-firearms ban. Restrict how many firearms someone may purchase to one or two per year.
    2. Tax the snot out of ammunition. Chris Rock once said, "We don't need gun control, we need bullet control." Limit how much ammo someone can buy at any given time and keep track of their purchases.
    3. Require licensing, certification, and background checks for all gun purchases, even at gun shows and game fairs. Regulate it like driver's licenses and selling a car, where a transfer of ownership is required and must be registered with the state.
    4. Gun licenses would require not only a criminal background check but also a psychiatric evaluation and proper training on how to use a firearm and how to safely store it. These would have to be renewed and updated on a regular basis.
    5. Expand Obamacare to include mental health treatment and mandate all private insurers to cover mental health.

This is not taking guns away but it would ensure responsibility, help make it harder for those with malicious intent to obtain firearms, and is well within the constraints of the Second Amendment.

EDIT: Here's Chris Rock talking about gun control. This was after Columbine in 1999 but it's still relevant:
    Last edited by leo3375; 12-15-2012 at 01:43 AM.