Page 34 of 97 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 2907

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Well, then we know how to keep track of car ownership, lets do the same with guns.

Clearly, it's not working today.
    Well, this legislation that Obama is trying to spin as "over 90% of the country wants this" actually outlaws a national registry... so there is that! The DOJ and FBI also said this stuff is going to be unenforceable without a registry.

It's really shitty to see the president act like the problem here is entirely with the people who voted against it. I don't think a single person defending this legislation has even read it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

If Gabby Giffords isn't allowed to campaign for gun control then anyone in the pockets of the gun lobby should be disallowed to campaign or vote against it. It's only fair.

I mean, if a juror was being paid off by the defendant they'd be the first to be kicked off the panel.
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 04-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    You beat me to it.
    I like the fact that this happens so close to the Boston Bombing, that it has more deaths and that it will get little coverage. CNN.com has no mention of this whatsoever.
    It was breaking news 35 minutes ago on Twitter

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Background checks. Why in the fuck did they vote down the background checks? Sheer lunacy!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Background checks. Why in the fuck did they vote down the background checks? Sheer lunacy!
    Because you listen to too much rhetoric: http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...2371#post82371

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Hmmmm. I'll be thinking about this one for awhile.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Manchester's victims are a grandmother, a young couple and their two small children, 1 and 5.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Hmmmm. I'll be thinking about this one for awhile.
    I know they are pushing the whole "90%" thing but what they presented wasn't the same thing. Also, current polls have less than 50% support for ANY new gun legislation.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I know they are pushing the whole "90%" thing but what they presented wasn't the same thing. Also, current polls have less than 50% support for ANY new gun legislation.
    I don't think that's accurate polling nationwide.

See, they have just released poll numbers for (R) senator Kelly Ayotte in New Hampshire. After voting no on the gun legislation in the Senate, her approval ratings dropped by 15 points. That's huge.
    Polls indicate that 75% of N.H. wanted the proposed background check, including 56% of Republicans.

They say her reelection in 2016 is in jeopardy.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I don't think that's accurate polling nationwide.

See, they have just released poll numbers for (R) senator Kelly Ayotte in New Hampshire. After voting no on the gun legislation in the Senate, her approval ratings dropped by 15 points. That's huge.
    Polls indicate that 75% of N.H. wanted the proposed background check, including 56% of Republicans.

They say her reelection in 2016 is in jeopardy.
    That's the issue with polls. You can always be selective. Polls are a shitty justification for legislation. A few posts back I explained why the proposals were a failure. The president wants to ignore that and fall back on "but 90%." Rhetoric doesn't get much more lazy than that...

Also, the country is setup to prevent mob rule.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I guess we'll see about the real polls in 2014.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I guess we'll see about the real polls in 2014.
    Absolutely. After 16 years of the same president I hope we see a change. Don't discount the Congressional elections though. They are the ones pushing/blocking the gun legislation.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    That's why I said 2014.

What do you think are the odds of having both the house and senate controlled by same party?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

That's why I said 2014.

What do you think are the odds of having both the house and senate controlled by same party?
    I'm an idiot. I read 2016.

Same party control is certainly possible. GOP is going to stay very weak as long as the Libertarians keep tearing out chunks of them. It definitely gives a benefit to the Dems in the short term. There are certainly going to be fewer neocon wins in the GOP. I think we all win with that! However, there is a growing group of disenfranchised Obama supporters who are jumping out. Will the new Dem candidate pull them back in come 2016?

I haven't been deeply examining the local politics across the country since the 2012 round. What do you think?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tough to say. Obama is losing a lot of progressives supporters and the Republicans, well are Republicans. Except for a couple congressmen who are now supporting gay marriage, they are pretty much the same party.

It's still over 1 year away so a lot of things can happen.
    As far as 2016 goes, if Hilary ends up being the candidate, I think she would have a very good chance.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I like Hillary but she has zero chance because of Benghazi.

We're kinda drifting here, eh?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I like Hillary but she has zero chance because of Benghazi.

We're kinda drifting here, eh?
    Drifting definitely, zero chance? I think she's got a fighting chance.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I could never figure out why they kept pushing the Benghazi shit. They tried to use it as a weapon during the Obama reelection and it failed. I guess it makes sense that they are trying to kill Hilary's chances with it. Maybe they think they will have more luck this time?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Drifting definitely, zero chance? I think she's got a fighting chance.
    I fighting chance? Shes almost guaranteed to win unless the GOP gets their act together.....Which I doubt they will.

I doubt we'll ever see a pro-life POTUS again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Well, I certainly HOPE she wins. That would be awesome.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Which would you rather see as the opposing party to Dems:

A - GOP as they have been the last 10 years (socially conservative, fiscally liberal toward big business, fiscally conservative towards everything they don't like, pro-war)

B - GOP heavily taken over by the libertarians (socially liberal, fiscally conservative across the board, anti-war) (no, not the "Tea Party")

There tends to be a lot of hate towards libertarians from the left, but I am honestly curious about this one. It seems like the left has much more common ground with the libertarians.

*there is a lull in the gun chat so no issue with the tangent. i'll be happy to spit this off into another thread though... Thread title of "US politics", "elections discussion".... or something like that?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I'd go Green Party before I'd go Libertarian.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I can't imagine how someone who's serious about social challenge and truly progressive, could even consider libertarianism.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    B - GOP heavily taken over by the libertarians (socially liberal, fiscally conservative across the board, anti-war) (no, not the "Tea Party")
    You can't have it both ways! The biggest reason the libertarian movement is gaining traction within the GOP is because the fucking Tea Party self identifies as libertarian!

*there is a lull in the gun chat so no issue with the tangent. i'll be happy to spit this off into another thread though... Thread title of "US politics", "elections discussion".... or something like that?
    Yes, for the love of whatever, stop derailing every goddamn thread in the headlines section to chat about why libertarianism is nifty and make a thread dedicated to it... Thread title of "Libertarianism PWNS!!!" or something like that.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'd go Green Party before I'd go Libertarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I can't imagine how someone who's serious about social challenge and truly progressive, could even consider libertarianism.

The question was about opposing party to Dems, not a new party you would side with.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Massive showing for the "Stop the NRA" march in DC yesterday
    http://www.guns.com/2013/04/25/today...-up-to-photos/

gun control going out with a whimper?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    You can't have it both ways! The biggest reason the libertarian movement is gaining traction within the GOP is because the fucking Tea Party self identifies as libertarian!
    "both" ways? WUT
    Tea Party was the result of a populist hijacking of the libertarian movement by the GOP. There is a reason they waited until McCain lost to start pimping it. It was just an anti-Obama tool. Socially conservative, Fiscally conservative, Pro-war. 1 of 3 in common with libertarians. If anything, the are what the GOP used to be before the neocons started taking over.

Occupy Wall Street came from a different angle but had just as much overlap on libertarian views.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    "both" ways? WUT
    Tea Party was the result of a populist hijacking of the libertarian movement by the GOP. There is a reason they waited until McCain lost to start pimping it. It was just an anti-Obama tool. Socially conservative, Fiscally conservative, Pro-war. 1 of 3 in common with libertarians. If anything, the are what the GOP used to be before the neocons started taking over.

Occupy Wall Street came from a different angle but had just as much overlap on libertarian views.
    I don't know why I'm bothering talking to you, now that you've announced that you're a childish and petulant troll by actually advertising the Boston Bombing video game just because you hoped it would make me mad, but whatever.

Without the Tea Party, the libertarian movement doesn't have the numbers to feasibly "take over" the GOP (not that they do anyway, obviously, but without the Tea Party it's an even bigger joke). This is why libertarian politicians are hesitant to come out and tell the Tea Party to fuck off.

Now please, stop drifting every goddamn thread to talk about libertarianism and make a dedicated thread for it where you can talk to yourself.