Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting

So so heartbreaking.

I guess a few survivors are in the hospital?
    Last edited by allegro; 12-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Bravo. Well said, Mr. Macdonald.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The https://twitter.com/DearShirley account was taken over by Anonymous.

A significant number of members from the WBC have seen their personal info leaked online, including home address.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wait.... Anon is pushing to have Westboro Baptist's tax exempt status revoked?

THE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH IS ACTUALLY GRANTED TAX EXEMPTION AND IS RECOGNIZED AS A "CHURCH?!"

are you fucking kidding me???

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^isn't the WBC like one big inbred family under the rule of Fred Phelps ? I seem to recall that on some Louis Theroux documentary but maybe I'm getting it wrong

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Interesting response to that "I am Adam Lanza's mother" piece: http://theyouthrightsblog.blogspot.c...mother_16.html

Good piece about what the dems need to do: http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...take-gun-lobby

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Followig up on that article i was talki g about yesterday, turns out that mother was way crazier than i even estimated...

http://sarahkendzior.com/2012/12/16/...read-her-blog/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^ I don't see anything really that crazy in what the mother has written? I mean people might say 'do this or i'll throttle you' - it's exaggeration, it's not meant to be taken literally

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Interesting response to that "I am Adam Lanza's mother" piece: http://theyouthrightsblog.blogspot.c...mother_16.html
    This 'youth rights' blogger seems a bit too much like the sort of person who thinks you should be 'befriend' your kids rather than parent them (although she has a point about privacy and it did come across like she was comparing her son to a mass murderer)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 12-17-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Anybody who's ever lived with a mentally ill person knows that sometimes it feels like it's "contagious" because it pushes everyone to the edge.

I've been reading stories about violent mentally ill children for many many years. The parents of these children are guided by professionals to set boundaries, and to take every threat of violence very seriously.

This article was written last May;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ma...&ref=magazine&
    Last edited by allegro; 12-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Followig up on that article i was talki g about yesterday, turns out that mother was way crazier than i even estimated...

http://sarahkendzior.com/2012/12/16/...read-her-blog/
    http://www.today.com/moms/i-am-adam-...help-1C7625059

The way she speaks in the video is bothersome - almost seems like she's reading cue-cards

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

People are blaming Adam Lanza's mother and now they're pointing accusing fingers at this mother.

This doesn't seem like progress.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh for fuck's sake...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this is a minor blip on the radar here, but it irritated me a bit. You know when you see those "share to show support for the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre!" scammy sounding sort of thing you might see on facebook? Well it takes some really tiny balls to try to use that web traffic to get attention and hits for your shitty hip hop act

But while I'm here, and we're talking about mental illness and gun control... I think we all realize the situation isn't simple. Still, reading that blog post above from the perspective of a mother who was talking about her out-of-control child with obvious mental issues that veer towards violent and erratic behavior, there's an element missing. The author of that blog was worried and justifiably frantic. She recognized that there was a problem, even if she felt somewhat powerless to resolve it. Hell, you could even say that she was associating herself with this tragedy to bring attention to her comparatively insignificant situation, although I have a hard time believing the blog was truly that cynical, or that she expected it to go viral the way it did.

At the same time, with people pointing fingers at Lanza's mother, there is something to be said there. I have no problem with her being a gun enthusiast, even if that means she's into collecting guns that fall into the "holy shit" category. But if she noticed that her son was severely unstable, it could be considered an odd decision to train him to use this:

which she did.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I like how people post pictures of the rifle used as if it's self explanatory why the gun is "bad." Look at this gun guys, it's just so fucking SCARY, look at it!

What is so bad about the gun other than it scares you?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    High capacity magazines (drum mags with up to 100 rounds of high-velocity ammo) combined with semi-automatic rate of fire and the possibility of getting license for a SIMILAR gun that fires fully automatic, OR someone with the know-how deciding to alter their weapon to fire automatic.

And beyond that, the fact that someone can TAKE that gun from someone else (who may even be a responsible gun owner) by force- even though said gun owner may have said after the last shooting "IF ONLY THERE WERE A RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER THERE!!!"- and using it... for its intended purpose, which is killing people.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    High capacity magazines (drum mags with up to 100 rounds of high-velocity ammo) combined with semi-automatic rate of fire and the possibility of getting license for a SIMILAR gun that fires fully automatic, OR someone with the know-how deciding to alter their weapon to fire automatic.

And beyond that, the fact that someone can TAKE that gun from someone else (who may even be a responsible gun owner) by force- even though said gun owner may have said after the last shooting "IF ONLY THERE WERE A RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER THERE!!!"- and using it... for its intended purpose, which is killing people.
    You know that semi-auto means one bullet each time you pull the trigger, right? That is exactly how the two handguns that he brought function. Yes, high-capacity mag is about the only tangible thing that justifies singling out that rifle. FYI - the kid had plenty of ammo left over when he was done, based on reports.

No, there is no license for a fully-auto weapon in CT. Hell, "assault weapons" are banned in CT. This thing was LEGAL under CT law. Even the most successful federal changes to gun control would be lucky to match CT law.

As for modding the gun... you could also mod his glock to be full auto with a tiny strip of metal. Again, there is nothing unique about that gun other than how it looks and the higher-capacity mags. Guns are not high-tech. People can build hardcore guns in a metal shop if they wanted to.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 12-18-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention... while the higher capacity mags is the only real tangible reason to single that gun out, the capacity really doesn't make a difference. As I said, the kid had plenty of mags unused. Many people forget that Columbine, for example, was done with the 10 round mags that are entirely legal under Feinstein's ban on high-cap mags.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    You know that semi-auto means one bullet each time you pull the trigger, right?
    Don't talk down to me, I'm fully aware of how guns work.

You said "What is so bad about the gun other than it scares you".
    I never said it scared me, are you talking about how it looks or its capabilities?

As to semi-auto:
    That is exactly how the two handguns that he brought function. Yes, high-capacity mag is about the only tangible thing that justifies singling out that rifle. FYI - the kid had plenty of ammo left over when he was done, based on reports.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this argument... Hi-cap mags are readily available for pistols as well. FYI - is this for or against your point?

No, there is no license for a fully-auto weapon in CT. Hell, "assault weapons" are banned in CT. This thing was LEGAL under CT law. Even the most successful federal changes to gun control would be lucky to match CT law.

As for modding the gun... you could also mod his glock to be full auto with a tiny strip of metal. Again, there is nothing unique about that gun other than how it looks and the higher-capacity mags. Guns are not high-tech. People can build hardcore guns in a metal shop if they wanted to.
    I still don't know what your argument is. People usually don't craft excellently machined and durable weapons in their basement unless they're repulsing the German army in Stalingrad. Are there any armies barking at America's door? Maybe Canada, but we just want to borrow some fair-trade flour...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Frankly, this is another time when it's bad form to be sucked into this argument.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    My point is everyone seems to single out the rifle and post pictures of it to make their point. You did the exact same thing. You are concerned that the mom showed him how to use the rifle and you include a picture to punctuate your message. "odd decision to train him to use this <picture>"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I never added a picture of anything.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Sorry, Jinsai posted it.
    You replied to my post bitching about people posting pictures (like Jinsai just did). Did you miss that?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I did, with a reason that we shouldn't fear the picture of a gun but with its capabilities. Did you miss that? Patronizing people goes both ways.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    To further emphasize my point. Here is a collection of people, in this thread, focusing on "assault" weapons, "automatic" weapons, etc.

Keep in mind, CT law already outlaws assault weapons. This rifle is legal and it is NOT an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This story is about mental illness and how the U.S. does NOTHING about it, and about our need to reinstate the BAN on assault weapons.

RT @andywombach "AP: Suspect used .223 caliber rifle. This is a picture of a .223 rifle. This is legal.
    http://twitter.com/AbbyWambach/statu...664448/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    True dat. I get protecting your family with a handgun in your house maybe sure. Assault rifles? Come on, son!

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Now that BO doesn't have to worry about re-election I really hope he does something on the assault weapons front. Fuck you George W Bush for letting the ban lapse. Fuck you forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    assault rifles and high-capacity magazines serve no purpose in everyday life

Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    I can agree with banning assault rifles and automatic weapons

Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    Here's where I stand:
    1. Reinstate the assault-weapon and automatic-firearms ban. Restrict how many firearms someone may purchase to one or two per year.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    A .223 caliber assault rifle is not a handgun.

Summary: freak the fuck out about the shooting and demand bans on shit we have no idea about.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Great! Then let's educate people instead of ridiculing them!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Great! Then let's educate people instead of ridiculing them!
    [vid eo=youtube;tDEGZ9z5Hqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDEGZ9z5Hqc[/video]
    I don't have all the answers. I simply believe that people should have a solid foundation for whatever they are trying to make, especially when it involves creation of laws. I will call out bullshit when I see it, doesn't matter what side they are on. The right answer will come forward when all sides are standing on solid support.

PS that video does nothing to educate on the topic. A 9mm handgun will do more damage than that if you feed it similar ammo type.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Fuck it,DigitalChaos, I'm gonna stop right now, and I'll ask you and everyone else to as well. One week. I'm asking for a one week moratorium on the gun control issue, both sides. Now is not the time for it.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Fuck it,DigitalChaos, I'm gonna stop right now, and I'll ask you and everyone else to as well. One week. I'm asking for a one week moratorium on the gun control issue, both sides. Now is not the time for it.
    I can agree with that! Whatever your goal is, do it without the emotion and do it consistently... not just when something happens on the news. If it's an important problem then it will still be important in 1 week. Now if only the rest of the country could table this for a week

My bet is on the majority completely forgetting this with their 24-hour-news-cycle-damaged-brains.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I sincerely hope you're wrong... Let's all get back on topic, yeah?