Page 87 of 97 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2907

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh totally, I was just commenting on the irony that he feels that being sentenced is the worst day of his life. Not the shooting but being held accountable for the shooting.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    my comment isn’t meant to detract from their obviously heinous racist views. it’s about the decision they made. they did this to Arbery but they also did it to themselves. it was conscious and deliberate. the punishment fits the crime. permanent participants in a system they thought Ahmaud Arbery should be a part of.
    Amen. They're also a part of a big system of 100s of years of horrible, disgusting racism that still exists today, as exhibited by these three pieces of shit, and their defense attorneys.

The BIGGEST part of this trial, that I will NEVER get out of my head, is this defense attorney's DISGUSTING and RACIST closing argument. I pray that we start seeing more and more of these heinous racist evil people brought to justice.

Last edited by allegro; 01-08-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    There’s a hostage situation in Colleyville Texas right now.

Horrific.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Who's got money on the guy getting arrested peacefully?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Reporters on MSNBC who were on the scene and heard guy talking with SWAT said guy:

* Told SWAT he wasn’t leaving alive
    * Asked SWAT if he could talk with his sister

This ain’t good

Guy said he has bombs and guns.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    fingers crossed

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Reporters on MSNBC who were on the scene and heard guy talking with SWAT said guy:

* Told SWAT he wasn’t leaving alive
    * Asked SWAT if he could talk with his sister

This ain’t good

Guy said he has bombs and guns.
    Sister is apparently "Lady Al Qaeda," who's been in prison since 2010, and this dude is demanding her release. (according to CBSN.)
    I highly doubt that shit's gonna happen.

FBI and ATF on the scene.

Edit: CNN just said that this particular Rabbi has been involved in reaching out to the Muslim community in that area, and participating in interfaith services.

At least there were only four people there. It's a cold comfort, but if it weren't for covid, it could be a hell of a lot worse.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-15-2022 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Sister is apparently "Lady Al Qaeda," who's been in prison since 2010, and this dude is demanding her release. (according to CBSN.)
    I highly doubt that shit's gonna happen.

FBI and ATF on the scene.

Edit: CNN just said that this particular Rabbi has been involved in reaching out to the Muslim community in that area, and participating in interfaith services.

At least there were only four people there. It's a cold comfort, but if it weren't for covid, it could be a hell of a lot worse.
    I heard there was a full Shabbat service? But maybe most people left before he got in there?

Thank G-d.

Edit: Ah I see the Shabbat service was being live-streamed.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-15-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Hostages are safe and free.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I heard there was a full Shabbat service? But maybe most people left before he got in there?

Thank G-d.

Edit: Ah I see the Shabbat service was being live-streamed.
    I caught about 8 minutes of the stream.

Dude was yelling in Arabic and SOME English.

And I'm still not understanding if the imprisoned woman is LITERALLY his sister; at this point, the FBI isn't even mentioning that motive or confirming the suspect's identity.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I caught about 8 minutes of the stream.

Dude was yelling in Arabic and SOME English.

And I'm still not understanding if the imprisoned woman is LITERALLY his sister; at this point, the FBI isn't even mentioning that motive or confirming the suspect's identity.
    From WaPo, just now;

The man who took a rabbi and other people hostage at a Dallas-area synagogue Saturday night in an hours-long standoff with law enforcement has been identified as 44-year-old British citizen Malik Faisal Akram, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Matthew DeSarno, the FBI special agent in charge of the Dallas field office, confirmed the identity of the Colleyville, Tex., hostage-taker in a statement sent to The Washington Post on Sunday. Authorities previously said the suspect had died.
“At this time, there is no indication that other individuals are involved,” the statement said.

[…]

A law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the investigation said the man’s motive for taking hostages appeared to be his anger over the U.S. imprisonment of Aafia Siddiqui, a Pakistani woman being held in federal prison in Fort Worth for trying to kill U.S. soldiers. Siddiqui was convicted on terrorism charges in 2010 and sentenced to 86 years in prison after opening fire on Americans.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I actually just caught that in my Dallas Morning News email @allegro .

Some initial reports speculated that the suspect was Siddiqui's ACTUAL brother, and gave his name.

I'd sue if that were me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I actually just caught that in my Dallas Morning News email @allegro .

Some initial reports speculated that the suspect was Siddiqui's ACTUAL brother, and gave his name.

I'd sue if that were me.
    Wouldn’t make it in court. The terrorist dude was calling the other terrorist his “sister.” Journalists were going by the only info they had, which wasn’t malicious in intent. Intent means everything. The only person the actual brother could sue is the dead guy. But he likely meant “sister of Islam” and not actual sister.

This just shows how litigious Americans are.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Wouldn’t make it in court. The terrorist dude was calling the other terrorist his “sister.” Journalists were going by the only info they had, which wasn’t malicious in intent. Intent means everything. The only person the actual brother could sue is the dead guy. But he likely meant “sister of Islam” and not actual sister.

This just shows how litigious Americans are.
    Couldn't you claim defamation, though, regardless of intent?

I remember some years ago, there was a "docuseries" version of a book on Jonbenet Ramsey that suggested her brother killed her.

And he sued the pants off of CBS or NBC or whoever it was.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Couldn't you claim defamation, though, regardless of intent?

I remember some years ago, there was a "docuseries" version of a book on Jonbenet Ramsey that suggested her brother killed her.

And he sued the pants off of CBS or NBC or whoever it was.
    In the case from yesterday, the terrorist told authorities on a live feed (where journalists could hear) that the chick in prison was his sister. At the time of publication of the information, it was thought to be fact based on the terrorist’s own statements. So journalists investigated who the “brother” would be, since the FBI and ATF weren’t giving up any info. Again, this was based on “facts” provided by the terrorist. So, the one committing defamation was the dead terrorist (alleging himself to be the brother of the chick in prison).

FWIW, LIN WOOD represented Burke Ramsey vs. CBS regarding a docuseries that focused specifically on Burke, and the case was settled. But nobody knows for how much. It’s pretty difficult to prove defamation. But in the Burke Ramsey case, CBS would have to provide facts. Their facts were mostly of the “crime as entertainment” nature.

The case yesterday provided facts as if they were actual reliable facts from the person committing the act, and there was no reason, at the time, to believe that he was lying when he also believed he was going to die (there’s Federal Rules of evidence that covers this).
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ah, I see, @allegro .

I remember the series was based on a book that sort of danced around the idea the it was Burke, and then the show stated it outright. And I remember Burke getting the settlement

But I certainly don't know the legal intricacies.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-16-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    and then the show stated it outright. And I remember Burke getting the settlement
    Yeah see THAT'S where they probably fucked up, ya know? If they'd equivocated a lot, like without coming right out and saying "YEAH, ALL SIGNED POINT TO BURKE!" like some kinda Perry Mason bullshit, then they wouldn't have been settling the case.

I mean, there's ways to dance around it in an entertaining way without pointing right at Burke, making it look more like an OPINION then THIS IS FACT.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Douchebagggggggg

"Alex Jones Again Fails to Show Up for a Deposition in the Sandy Hook Case Against Him"

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/24/10885...sition-lawsuit

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I want to see Alex Jones and Roger Stone eat shit so badly

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Douchebagggggggg

"Alex Jones Again Fails to Show Up for a Deposition in the Sandy Hook Case Against Him"

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/24/10885...sition-lawsuit
    Damn.

I used to LIKE Alex, a long time ago, when he was eviscerating the Bush administration and sneaking into Bohemian Grove.

In fact, he was KIND of a "Keep Austin Weird" Texas mascot of sorts: that's why you'll find him in Linklater films like Waking Life.

Slowly but surely, though, he became a fucking asshole, and an embarrassment.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    In fact, he was KIND of a "Keep Austin Weird" Texas mascot of sorts: that's why you'll find him in Linklater films like Waking Life.

Slowly but surely, though, he became a fucking asshole, and an embarrassment.
    Pretty sure I saw a clip from an interview with Linklater where he was saying that the only reason he included Alex Jones in any of his shit is because he thought he was an incredibly strange person.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Pretty sure I saw a clip from an interview with Linklater where he was saying that the only reason he included Alex Jones in any of his shit is because he thought he was an incredibly strange person.
    I mean, yeah. Austin is insanely fucking strange. Deep Ellum, in Dallas, is weird as.shit. And even out west: how.about shit like.the Cadillac Ranch?

Texas is an incredibly strange place.

And Alex was once a mostly harmless, strange Texas institution, before he became a godawful affront to humanity in general.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I want to see Alex Jones and Roger Stone eat shit so badly
    now fucking Roger Stone...oh god.
    I've been following THAT dude for a minute.

There's a 2016 doc called Get Me Roger Stone. I think every politically minded person should see it.

The thing is, it isn't a hit piece. He's IN it, bragging about strategies of lying and denial, and i mean, like, he's PROUD of it.
    He's straight up Chaotic Evil, if you know your D&D. He BRAGS about being a dirty trickster.

Sorry for driftyness, but it IS somewhat important to gun law, the influence this lunatic wields.

He's like an unapologetic comic book villain.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @elevenism yeah, Stone is basically satan. I remember on election night 2016, hearing him gloat on conservative talk radio, and it was the first time I'd REALLY heard this guy speak for an extended period, and he is the biggest liar on earth, while also the most frank and upfront person ever about what an asshole he is, and he loves to dangle that in a "and you'll never get me!" kind of way.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    ^^ Terrible

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

This one has undetonated devices to make it just that much more fun.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Deputies Protect Parkland School Shooter Nikolas Cruz After Juror Threat: https://nypost.com/2022/04/27/wppara...uz-who-a-href/

This sentence towards the end of the article: "More than 1,800 potential jurors have passed through the courtroom since selection began earlier this month. In one earlier instance, 60 people had to be dismissed after many of them became emotional, potentially influencing the others. About a dozen others had been quietly removed because they started crying."

Why do they still need a jury then?? Over 1,800 people doesn't say enough that everyone is agreeance that he should be dealt with already?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Chair of Oklahoma GOP, Congressional Candidate Calls For Putting Anthony Fauci ‘in Front of a Firing Squad’

“And you know what? They’re pushing this wokeness confusion down our throats now. And by the way, we should try Anthony Fauci and put him in front of a firing squad,” he continued, eliciting loud applause and cheers from the crowd.

“And for the Secret Service, if they’re listening, I’m not advocating we kill Anthony Fauci until he’s convicted of his crimes through a court,” the Republican leader jested.
    I'm at the point where if the Secret Service wants to pull an SS maneuver on these jokers I wouldn't really mind. and I know the slippery slope that introduces! I'm just getting tired of these wannabe politicians thinking they can threaten people and then be all "It was a just a joke brah".

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Never forget The Palin PAC that had crosshairs on the electoral map, including Gabby Giffords...