994 Post(s)
    Hoplophobia is not yet a real word.

And neither is sharif hahaha.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    the fuck are you talking about?

Sorry, "sherif"

So yeah, to retread an earlier bit from this thread again, calling people who don't want to ban all the guns "hoplophobes" is unimaginably stupid. Actually, using the word "hoplophobe" sucks in general, but at least you can spell it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-29-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Sorry, "sherif"

So yeah, to retread an earlier bit from this thread again, calling people who don't want to ban all the guns "hoplophobes" is unimaginably stupid. Actually, using the word "hoplophobe" sucks in general, but at least you can spell it.
    so in other words "let's go back to semantics because I can't carry a logical opinion"

k

Also, I was intentionally using hoplophobe for that very reaction. If neologisms piss you off... have you ever witnessed tumblr feminism?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so in other words "let's go back to semantics because I can't carry a logical opinion"
    Yeah, I can't compete with the intellectual giant who equates the danger associated with guns as being on par with video game systems.
    You've taken a thread that started out as a discussion about the Sandy Hook disaster, and turned into a place for you post pictures of dick-guns with udders.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jinsai View Post
    you've taken a thread that started out as a discussion about the sandy hook disaster, and turned into a place for you post pictures of dick-guns with udders.
    omg the children

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Oh hey, court strikes down the carry ban in DC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...637_story.html

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    you guys crack me up.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    you guys crack me up.
    I can't tell if my favorite part is the leash, blood bag, foreskin, or baby arms.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Decent commentary on violence in Chicago

And once again, the solution is multifaceted and everything that @allegro has mentioned several times. Trying to solve it with the myopic route that @Jinsai takes will do absolutely nothing.

Somehow, that's the first time I have heard the term "Chiraq"

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I can't tell if my favorite part is the leash, blood bag, foreskin, or baby arms.
    Well, I hope you figure that out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just curious....what guns do you want to ban?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Just curious....what guns do you want to ban?
    I think fully automatic weapons should remain illegal. I think if you're going to buy a semi-automatic rifle, you should have to be thoroughly evaluated. I think if you try to buy thousands of rounds of ammo and a handful of any guns, you should be looked into. I think if you're unstable, no guns for you. I think no guns should be sold at gun shows. I think the evaluation and holding period should be longer. I'm not running around saying we should make guns illegal, so much as I'm saying that specific laws (which directly pertain and address gun ownership) should be passed to restrict ownership from people who should not have them... and I think it should be VERY easy to lose the right to own a gun, and it should be significantly more difficult to obtain one.

Hell, I think if you and your buddies walk into a Chili's armed to the teeth with military rifles, just for "fun" and to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, you should have the right to own guns taken away, and you never fucking get it back.

Here's the problem for me... earlier you posted a link to an article where a mental patient pulled out a gun in a hospital where (presumably) he was being treated for being crazy, and he was complaining about gun bans before he started shooting people. The major problem I have with these discussions is that instead of asking HOW DID THIS GUY ACQUIRE THE GUN, we're left with empty speculation, and some kind of "see? The doctor who shot him down is a hero" narrative, which is just unhelpful.

Why aren't people curious about how he got the gun? Did he acquire it legally?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Hell, I think if you and your buddies walk into a Chili's armed to the teeth with military rifles, just for "fun" and to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, you should have the right to own guns taken away, and you never fucking get it back.
    You mean like this guy who walked into an airport coffee shop to buy coffee, carrying a semi-automatic slung over his shoulder and who got arrested for pointing it at two women?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    it was stupid and dangerous if you know anything about gun safety.... but the pointing of the gun wasn't intentional, as the title makes it sound.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Damn good article about race and gun control.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...d-gun-control/

"Last year, 47.3 percent of those convicted for federal gun crimes were black — a racial disparity larger than any other class of federal crimes, including drug crimes."

"...make no mistake, more gun laws and more enforcement of victimless gun crimes will mean more people in prison. Those new prisoners will be disproportionately black and Hispanic. These realities need to be part of the discussion."

$10 says @Jinsai hasn't considered this.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    "...make no mistake, more gun laws and more enforcement of victimless gun crimes will mean more people in prison. Those new prisoners will be disproportionately black and Hispanic. These realities need to be part of the discussion."

I'm talking about shutting down sales at gun shows, and placing stricter restrictions on gun ownership with specific regards to preventing people with mental illness from buying guns, having psychological evaluations as a requirement to purchase, and checking in on people who stockpile arsenals, and somehow you've tied this in with the consideration that this would inordinately affect minorities who will be convicted of "victimless gun crimes."

Yeah... because, look at the disproportionate amount of minorities at gun shows

It's like Where's Waldo... if Waldo was the lone minority, and he wasn't actually there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Just stop picking on @Jinsai , for fuck's sake. He isn't saying anything all that controversial. The truth is that this thread is dead and boring, and you're using him as a scapegoat to try to draw more activity to your dead thread.

There is NO good reason to have an assault rifle, other than the Big Dick Factor (a/k/a Dick Extender or Wish I Had A Dick). Even street gangs aren't using them anymore. The SCOTUS isn't defending them. There is no logical or constitutional reason for having them.

Will banning them stop mass murders? No. But that's beside the point.

You asked Jinsai his opinion, he gave it to you. Pissing all over him for having a stupid opinion isn't an intelligent debate.

There is no way we can completely keep any kind of weapon out of the hands of mental patients.

But, we can try.

Just like we can't stop robberies. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have robbery laws. We can't stop murders. But, we still have murder laws. Etc. etc. etc.

Here in Chicago, I'm personally convinced that arming MORE citizens is the answer. Yup, you read that right. Because there are 3 or 4 neighborhoods, here (no place where WE live, mind you) that are like fucking BEIRUT, and we need to either arm the citizens or we need to bring in the National Guard. Since the second option has been mentioned several times but our arrogant mayor and governor aren't taking it seriously, then we need the citizens to arm themselves.

Illinois now has concealed carry options, except we're now seeing that people are being arbitrarily denied concealed carry licenses, for no apparent reason. Some are active members of the military, but were denied. So, a lot of us believe that you should go ahead and arm yourself, protect your family, and worry about that other legal shit later. If the gangs aren't sure if YOU are armed, too, then eventually the playing field will even out. But, right now, the gangs are at an advantage. They are ruling the streets.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It's like Where's Waldo... if Waldo was the lone minority, and he wasn't actually there.
    I've been to gun shows. It's like a Wal-Mart, but with guns. Freaky people and rednecks. Fur-lined handcuffs next to ammo.

having psychological evaluations as a requirement to purchase
    The problem with that is that many of the shootings that have occurred happened by mentally ill people using legally-owned guns that were stolen by the mentally ill person. Or guns that were obtained back before the gun-owners became mentally ill. We can't continue to do mental checks on people every year for life. If you have a bad period in your life, your wife leaves you and you suddenly start hitting the bottle and you become really depressed but you've had a gun for 10 years and you have a FOID card, how do we have the state come check on you every so often to make sure you are still mentally stable and then how do they take that gun once you're not? Without violating your civil rights? How about once you smack the shit out of your wife and an Order of Protection is issued against you? This already happens. Technically, your FOID is revoked and you can't buy more ammo. But, what if you already own a shitload, stockpiled. The state sends a SWAT team and knocks down your front door and confiscates your gun and ammo? Sounds great, but that won't happen. Not in the interest of protecting your civil rights (although, that would be nice for abused spouses), but because that's not a priority for law enforcement and never will be, hence why we see so many dead spouses. And, even then, we have the Nicole Simpson situation, where she was calling the P.D. asking for help on a regular basis because her ex husband was abusive, and they didn't take her very seriously, and then OJ turned her into a Pez dispenser using a knife, not a gun.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'm talking about shutting down sales at gun shows, and placing stricter restrictions on gun ownership with specific regards to preventing people with mental illness from buying guns, having psychological evaluations as a requirement to purchase, and checking in on people who stockpile arsenals, and somehow you've tied this in with the consideration that this would inordinately affect minorities who will be convicted of "victimless gun crimes."

Yeah... because, look at the disproportionate amount of minorities at gun shows

Yup. You clearly can't imagine any unintended consequences in any of that... which is typical.

Also, again with the gunshow bullshit? There is NO gunshow loophole. What exists are private transactions between people who are not FFL's. That can and does happen anywhere. I hear there is this thing called the internet where like-minded people can organize around a particular interest and quite possible create transactions between eachother. derp

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Just stop picking on @Jinsai, for fuck's sake. He isn't saying anything all that controversial. The truth is that this thread is dead and boring, and you're using him as a scapegoat to try to draw more activity to your dead thread.

You asked Jinsai his opinion, he gave it to you. Pissing all over him for having a stupid opinion isn't an intelligent debate.
    I wasn't the one that asked his opinion. He likes to frequently come in here and show off his stupid opinion. His recent run started by him coming in here and posting pictures of babies and guns because he doesn't like gun discussion beyond gun crime. So yea, I'll piss all over that

PS - This is the most active thread in this subforum.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've been to gun shows. It's like a Wal-Mart, but with guns. Freaky people and rednecks. Fur-lined handcuffs next to ammo.
    that sounds like more fun than I had imagined, actually

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    J
    Here in Chicago, I'm personally convinced that arming MORE citizens is the answer. Yup, you read that right. Because there are 3 or 4 neighborhoods, here (no place where WE live, mind you) that are like fucking BEIRUT, and we need to either arm the citizens or we need to bring in the National Guard. Since the second option has been mentioned several times but our arrogant mayor and governor aren't taking it seriously, then we need the citizens to arm themselves.

Illinois now has concealed carry options, except we're now seeing that people are being arbitrarily denied concealed carry licenses, for no apparent reason. Some are active members of the military, but were denied. So, a lot of us believe that you should go ahead and arm yourself, protect your family, and worry about that other legal shit later. If the gangs aren't sure if YOU are armed, too, then eventually the playing field will even out. But, right now, the gangs are at an advantage. They are ruling the streets.
    I was actually looking into the Chicago thing a bit more last night after you linked me to the anti-Chiraq article. The history behind it is just crazy.

Do you have any demographics about the denials on concealed carry permits? I can probably already guess that it is very much inline with the WaPo article I just posted. That's the ugly side of discretionary enforcement of law. A robbery or a murder has a very clear enforcement path. Not so with victimless crimes or bullshit situations where you have to request permission for something.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    PS - This is the most active thread in this subforum.
    That's because you keep trying to give it CPR with the same shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Do you have any demographics about the denials on concealed carry permits?
    Look it up, it's been in the paper here regularly. It appears that the state is trying to stall the process, not discrimination, just trying to stall the licenses, period.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    that sounds like more fun than I had imagined, actually
    It's pretty weird. it's like a swap meet, with guns. there's a ton of military stuff and hunting stuff, but intermingled in that is the fur-lined handcuffs and "novelty" stuff. there's a lot of just "junk" in plastic milk carts.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yup. You clearly can't imagine any unintended consequences in any of that... which is typical.
    and yet you don't actually offer conjecture on what those consequences would be with specific relation to what I'm talking about, which is typical and tiresome. Allegro at least did weigh in with a direct response to something I'm actually saying. You just respond as if you're working from a script, and you don't know what to do when somebody deviates from it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    It's pretty weird. it's like a swap meet, with guns. there's a ton of military stuff and hunting stuff, but intermingled in that is the fur-lined handcuffs and "novelty" stuff.
    I just connected the dots that my parents are gun show frequents

... ugh

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    and yet you don't actually offer conjecture on what those consequences would be with specific relation to what I'm talking about, which is typical and tiresome. Allegro at least did weigh in with a direct response to something I'm actually saying. You just respond as if you're working from a script, and you don't know what to do when somebody deviates from it.
    Sure, as soon as you actually put some effort into your replies. You already decided to cut off the rest of my post and refuse to reply to it.

I also replied to Deepvoid (who can actually construct a thoughtful post) with points that include much of what allegro just replied to you with: http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...711#post200711

I look forward to your well thought out response!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Sure, as soon as you actually put some effort into your replies. You already decided to cut off the rest of my post and refuse to reply to it.
    I said we should shut down sales of guns at gun shows. I do not think any guns should actually be sold at the shows. Then there won't be any possibility for loop holes, which you claim don't exist. I actually think the entire way we sell guns should be regulated and handled in a completely different way. I love that you think you're offering some kind of intellectual argument, in between comparing guns to games and posting pictures of fetish guns. You already earlier said that you use ridiculous words like hoplophobe because you were hoping to "elicit that reaction." So you wanted a semantic shot at your silly bullshit, just so you could cry about it later? Nobody's impressed by your pretentious gun hobbyist lingo, nobody gives a fuck about your videos of the guy from KMFDM shooting a gun. If you stop boosting this thread with this horseshit, it'll die. And since that sounds great right about now, I'm done in here.