Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN: The Greatest Hits

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    so, now that hesitation marks is happening, is interscope still going to release the greatest hits soon? and what does it mean for the "2 new tracks?" I imagine they wouldn't be came back haunted and copy of a.. right? columbia has the rights to those 2 correct? just wondering.
    Interscope will prob just be handed HM leftovers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    so, now that hesitation marks is happening, is interscope still going to release the greatest hits soon? and what does it mean for the "2 new tracks?" I imagine they wouldn't be came back haunted and copy of a.. right? columbia has the rights to those 2 correct? just wondering.
    The two tracks were Everything and Satellite (I think)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Most likely. I'd guess that they will put out the compilation sometime later in the year if they're still gunning for a 2013 release. Wouldn't make much sense if they put it out around the same time as the album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'd bet that the 2 new tracks won't be anything released on HM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Most likely. I'd guess that they will put out the compilation sometime later in the year if they're still gunning for a 2013 release. Wouldn't make much sense if they put it out around the same time as the album.
    I think it's still scheduled for a 2014 release.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    I'd bet that the 2 new tracks won't be anything released on HM.
    They are on HM, Everything and Satellite.

Also, just because those songs are released on HM doesn't mean a greatest hits record can't be done. Really shitty how Trent still owes them a greatest hits record, but they pulled the plug on the Lights in the Sky Live album/dvd.

I just hope there will be something special in the greatest hits package. On the other hand I just wish Trent fucked them over and made it extra shitty

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    They are on HM, Everything and Satellite.
    Well, I can't see a greatest hits record without a previously unreleased track or two, and those won't be previously unreleased by the time the greatest hits record comes out. Plus, they're property of Columbia, not Interscope.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I think it's still scheduled for a 2014 release.
    IDGAF about the greatest hits, but I was hoping that the fragile rerelease would be coming next year.
    If 2014 is the year of the greatest hits then we'll be waiting till 2015 minimum for the rerelease.

FUCK

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Don't forget the 10th anniversary deluxe 2xCD edition of A_Witha_Teetha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I believe this GH may be interesting now... Or not. He has to give them two new songs? If so, then they can't be on HM. So, HM leftovers or actually brand new songs will be it. Within whatever the deadline is.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Plus, they're property of Columbia, not Interscope.
    iTunes says copyright 2013 Null Corporation, under exclusive license to Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.

I don't think it's a traditional major label deal, probably a licensing deal as described by David Byrne in this article: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...urrentPage=all

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Does he in fact owe Interscope anything? I was under the impression a greatest hits record was BS with his "I've been less than honest about what I've really been up to lately" comment, and was working on strictly HM. I'm no expert of the music biz side either but just seems weird or awkward to have Columbia, then sometime soon have Interscope put together a "new" NIN record. (I can't recall another band doing this, could be completely normal for all I know though)

Yay? Nay? Thoughts? Anyone other than me need a beer?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think I read somewhere that in addition to whatever the number of albums he signed on for, he'd have to do a greatest hits to fully meet his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    kinda funny how things turned out. Even though trent is sick of interscope, they are partly responsible for HM's creation.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure way back in 2008 or 09 he mentioned that he owed the GH to Interscope, or that they had the right to put one together without him. I think, because of the latter, he elected to work on new material for it to ensure that it wasn't a 100% Halo-numbered cash-grab. It's very likely still on track to be released, so he might throw some b-sides at them, or slap together two tracks for it after the tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No love for the great destroyer in this thread it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really want to like "The Great Destroyer" but I just don't like it... the remix is pretty good tho

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I'm pretty sure way back in 2008 or 09 he mentioned that he owed the GH to Interscope, or that they had the right to put one together without him. I think, because of the latter, he elected to work on new material for it to ensure that it wasn't a 100% Halo-numbered cash-grab. It's very likely still on track to be released, so he might throw some b-sides at them, or slap together two tracks for it after the tour.
    This was what I was wondering about too, since he wanted to make sure it was something substantial...I assume this will be a Halo numbered release?

I'd love to see something along the lines of a 2-disc kind of set which could feature the hits on one disc and some b-sides/deep cuts/new tracks on a second.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't know why we're suddenly talking about TGD, but I dig me some off-topic splurging: I enjoy the first half, it has some of the most promise and allure found on the record (and Trent sounds beautiful), but since I generally really dislike the electronic sounds of YZ, the rest of my opinion about the song should be obvious enough.

\\

Legally speaking, CBH can appear on the GH, right? Just thinking about the status quo being changed since the unintentional writing for a new album began...and CBH being the most recent single, on Columbia.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-13-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NIN: The Greatest Hits

I get the feeling that greatest hits albums with 1 or 2 "new" songs are pretty standard across the board for major labels. Maybe the reworked Sanctified can wind up on there?

If doing a greatest hits album helps get the ultimate, deluxe, whatever edition of The Fragile out finally, I'm all for it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    well, some other band i pay close attention to has released 2 songs as (download-only singles) and 2 other songs as (CD singles) for their latest album. why can't nin?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Does he in fact owe Interscope anything?
    I believe Nine Inch Nails has a fairly traditional "seven record deal" with Universal/Interscope. Counting The Fragile as two records, that means he still is on contract for one more record. His relationship with Universal is sour enough that during the creation of two songs for the long-in-the-works greatest hits album, he assembled a full length and chose to instead release that independently (on license to Columbia). Greatest hits is still probably in the cards, as that's about as good as Universal's going to get.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I hope this GH means that he'll start with the intention of making two new songs for it, and continuously wind up creating and releasing entire albums of
    new material!
    Just. Cant....STOP!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd rather see a rarity or two in there than a pair of new, exclusive tracks. Nine Inch Nails makes albums. Sure, they're putting out singles, but there are so many songs that only work within the context of an album. My interpretation, of course, but I can't see Trent making one-off tracks any time soon. He needs a broader canvas than that to express himself.

No, give me a studio recording of Now, I'm Nothing as the first track, preceding Terrible Lie. And something from the sessions for The Fragile. If he really wants to flick Universal the bird, he should put Just Do It on there, if it was ever recorded.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think the Gold Standard for Greatest Hits packages is The Beastie Boys' The Sounds of Science. It has their hits, it has album tracks, it has b-sides, it has a couple songs from their unreleased country album, etc. And it's not set up with the hits on the first disc and the other stuff on the second. It's all interwoven together. My OCD side would like it a bit more chronological than it is on that album, but either way, it's still a greatest hit's album that has some thought and care put into it and not just the hits thrown together with the shortest version you can find so that you can fit more of the trendy songs on it and throw all the other stuff on the second CD or "deluxe edition." If Trent releases something like that, I'd be all over that bad boy.

edit - I just googled the album and found out this which I didn't even know (from the Wikipedia page) - Customers could also purchase a custom version of the album from Grand Royal featuring the B-sides and rarities that they wanted through mail order.[2]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Am I right in assuming there won't be any Slip or Ghosts tracks on the Greatest Hits because they weren't released via Interscope?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    why do people keep calling it "the day the WHOLE world went away"? i know that's the line in the song, but it's not the actual title. (i've seen five or six people do this recently in various threads)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Does it really matter?
    none of this really matters...

no, seriously, though, it doesn't. i was just curious simply because i've seen more than one or two people do it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Am I right in assuming there won't be any Slip or Ghosts tracks on the Greatest Hits because they weren't released via Interscope?
    That's probably an incorrect assumption. They're copyright Trent so if he wants to put them on, they'll be there. PHM is the bigger question, but didn't I see interscope in the copyright info for the remastered PHM or am I imagining that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What about the HM songs? I mean the singles, not the 2 initially written for the GH. Will they include the songs released under a contract with Columbia? CBH, CoA, maybe Running... the main singles/hits of the new album. Will those songs be included in a GH or will it include just the "Interscope era"?