Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN: The Greatest Hits

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Didn't the New Yorker article specifically say that Trent was creating new music for the compilation, not just pulling shit out of the vault? I personally want brand-new music, not shit that we've heard for twenty fuckin' years that Trent's dusting off to make the compilation worthwhile in the shallowest way possible.

I'd like the idea of a second disc being a Greatest Hits selection of remixes, maybe even a couple unannounced new ones. Can't be too hard to create a good remix.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I would love a "Deluxe edition" with NIN's "B-sides" (Purest Feeling, Now Im Nothing, Maybe just once, Tetsuo theme, etc...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A few years back there was those 'hits' collections floating around (one of them was 'Deep Cuts'), was that a leaked track list from a planned interscope release or was it all fan made?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)

NIN: The Greatest Hits

The answer to your question is "neither."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Re NIN-into-TL. If it was going to happen I reckon it would be a live recording from the wave goodbye tour, which would be the best technically captured version to exist. Having said that I've always loved how heavy TL sounded on the back of NIN on '91 era bootlegs. I can't recall right now, did they do a heavier TL segue in '09 at all?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    A few years back there was those 'hits' collections floating around (one of them was 'Deep Cuts'), was that a leaked track list from a planned interscope release or was it all fan made?
    It might help you understand where they came from if you consider that the Definitive NIN collections to which you refer were originally released via BitTorrent on the Pirate Bay, and that the same user that uploaded The Definitive NIN torrents also later uploaded the Closure DVD and Broken movie DVD torrents.

http://thepiratebay.se/user/seed0/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    The tracklist of all 4 are on the wiki - I think The Singles will be roughly what this greatest hits will be, with a couple of Deep Cuts for measure. http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    It might help you understand where they came from if you consider that the Definitive NIN collections to which you refer were originally released via BitTorrent on the Pirate Bay, and that the same user that uploaded The Definitive NIN torrents also later uploaded the Closure DVD and Broken movie DVD torrents.

I had picked that up by Levi's comment
    I agree with @sheepdean though, I think the 'Singles' collection is close to what we'll see - with modifications. If it's more of a 'Best of' rather than just the singles, The Perfect Drug may not make the cut, seeing as Trent isn't a fan of the song in general.

Assuming that Trent has ultimate power over the tracklist.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If they don't put TPD on then Trent is just petty, it's already not on any album and never played live despite being one of NIN's few #1s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who hates the idea of a 'greatest hits'? Of all the artists out there, I never thought there would be a NIN hits package.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    Am I the only one who hates the idea of a 'greatest hits'? Of all the artists out there, I never thought there would be a NIN hits package.
    I think they're great things - the greatest hits, or compilation album, has been in existence for almost as long as commercial recorded sound, it lets people dip in and find music without having to be a crazy fan and buying everything obsessively.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Personally, I am also not a fan of the greatest hits "albums"
    Unless you are going to go through and re-master things, or include unreleased material, its simply a way for bands to milk the shit out of songs they made a long time ago, and get people wo buy more shit. Especially these days with itunes and torrents, greatest hits records / comps really dont need to be around much.

A quick search on amazon.com for greatest hits rutrns these artists:
    Pink
    3 doors down
    &Kelly Clarkson

among band such as

Journey
    Creedence Clearwater revival
    Queen

Do the firsth three bands really even need to be mentioned on the "greatest hits" conversation as it pertains to music over time. Probably not.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbookpress1984 View Post
    its simply a way for bands record labels to milk the shit out of songs they made a long time ago, and get people wo buy more shit.
    now this sounds more like it

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    now this sounds more like it
    Well played sir. Point being, unless your band is one of the greats, and has a 20 plus albums and has toured the world over, you probably do need a greatest hits album. However, if your label wants you to have one, it will probably happeen, so just like you said: they can make more money.

In Trent's case, I think were past the point of speculation as to wether or not his is happening. So, back to speculation, I would like to see something cool, like a book with rare photos, or a collection of early press material, which probaly wont happen, and you can get all of it on ebay already. But something "deluxe" would be cool if its not rediculously expensive / limmited. Coheed and Cambria did a nice box set for their "never ender" shows, and US did a good one for something recently too. The Pearl Jam "10" deluxe reissue was sweet. But, heres to hoping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm actually in favor of greatest hits releases because if they are done properly they can be a great introduction to an artist with a huge and seemingly impenetrable body of work. Now of course for us this is no big deal, we've all obsessed over and picked apart every Nails song for years, but this could be good for the uninitiated. Of course it's also true that it's a lousy last-ditch gambit for record labels, but what isn't these days?

We'll see the usual, which everyone else here has already adequately predicted. I'd be thrilled to see Perfect Drug, Burn or Deep on there too, not because they're particularly good but because I like odds-n-sods to be gathered together into one place. The only thing I'm really into is the two new tracks, because I have no idea what they could be. I'm sure they'll be either forgettable or revolting or Trent would've already released them, but whatever, I'm down.
    Last edited by carpenoctem; 01-21-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    When I first heard the news of a Greatest Hits my heart sank. WTF, right? This is like the LEAST exciting new release news in NIN's history...

Then I thought about it. I remember feeling the same way when I heard the news of a concert/live album coming out in 2002. I don't really remember WHY I hated the idea, maybe I felt that there were enough bootlegs around, I don't know. But what I do know is that the moment I held AATCHB, I knew it was great. It didn't feel like a ripoff, or a cash in. I should have trusted Trent Reznor to come up with something great and worth buying, and now it's honestly one of my favorites.

I think it's a safe bet that this release will be similar (in quality). I'm sure Trent's enough of a control freak that we're not going to get some half-assed collection.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

Whatever this Greatest Hits album becomes, it sure as fuck won't be as comprehensive as:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

But I'm guessing it'll be a lot similar to this:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Whatever this Greatest Hits album becomes, it sure as fuck won't be as comprehensive as:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN

But I'm guessing it'll be a lot similar to this:

http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Definitive_NIN_-_The_Singles
    i'm for the simpler approach to this. the whole definitive nin selections are too huge, because even if overlapping songs are removed, they're still about one third of the entire discography. if the greatest hits is just 1 CD (with liner notes including Trent's comments on each song) and 1 DVD (with every music video and a few trailers) i'm perfectly fine. when i see large (triple disk or more) boxsets in shops i'm usually thinking "no, i'm not buying that, i'll only maybe like a handful of songs and the rest of the price (and shelf space) would be wasted".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think double disc is probably an appropriate length - I wonder if the delay in it coming out (2014 instead of 2013) is also related to tinkering, doing an Echoes style total remix, or even a 5.1 mix

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's been more than five years since he left Interscope, and it seems like everyone has known that a Greatest Hits would be inevitable. I doubt it's tinkering. More likely that it's timed to an assumed Hall of Fame nomination.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It might be because Trent bargained with Interscope to let HTDA have a year of exposure without NIN releases to compete with.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I prefer single comps to greatest hits, but NIN doesn't have enough singles. Depeche Mode's 86-98 was my intro to them and IMHO is a fantastic collection, no filler all killer. I think I started with the chemical brothers, omd, new order, joy division, erasure, the kinks and no doubt more I've forgotten via singles comps. Having said that the cure greatest hits sucks.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Having said that the cure greatest hits sucks.
    that's because the cure's singles have typically been good, but are rarely the best songs on the albums from which they originate.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's because the cure's singles have typically been good, but are rarely the best songs on the albums from which they originate.
    That and it's not comprehensive, e.g. "Pictures of You" and "Fascination Street" both missing (IMHO the stronger 2/4 singles from Disintegration by a very small margin); no Elise, "Charlotte Sometimes", Arab… it leans towards the light and underrepresents the dark.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Greatest Shits!

*badum-tsss*

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I'm actually in favor of greatest hits releases because if they are done properly they can be a great introduction to an artist with a huge and seemingly impenetrable body of work. Now of course for us this is no big deal, we've all obsessed over and picked apart every Nails song for years, but this could be good for the uninitiated. Of course it's also true that it's a lousy last-ditch gambit for record labels, but what isn't these days?

We'll see the usual, which everyone else here has already adequately predicted. I'd be thrilled to see Perfect Drug, Burn or Deep on there too, not because they're particularly good but because I like odds-n-sods to be gathered together into one place. The only thing I'm really into is the two new tracks, because I have no idea what they could be. I'm sure they'll be either forgettable or revolting or Trent would've already released them, but whatever, I'm down.
    I agree here. I also really like Greatest Hits/Best Ofs, There are plenty of bands that I like, but I would never want to own their entire discographies. In that case, a compilation does just fine.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That and it's not comprehensive, e.g. "Pictures of You" and "Fascination Street" both missing (IMHO the stronger 2/4 singles from Disintegration by a very small margin); no Elise, "Charlotte Sometimes", Arab… it leans towards the light and underrepresents the dark.
    The Cure also released two separate singles compilations, and those songs are there. I would recommend those over the Greatest Hits.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Cure also released a 4disc set compiling all their B sides and rare tracks....and they recorded an acoustic album as a bonus disc for their greatest hits album which was great

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    The Cure also released a 4disc set compiling all their B sides and rare tracks....and they recorded an acoustic album as a bonus disc for their greatest hits album which was great
    yeah, the Join The Dots (b-sides) box is great, as is the acoustic companion disc that came with some versions of the greatest hits. but without that bonus disc, it's pretty ho-hum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    so, now that hesitation marks is happening, is interscope still going to release the greatest hits soon? and what does it mean for the "2 new tracks?" I imagine they wouldn't be came back haunted and copy of a.. right? columbia has the rights to those 2 correct? just wondering.