Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My take on 'Keep It Together' music video

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lightbulb My take on 'Keep It Together' music video

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting here, and I'm really nervous so I might pee a little bit... Anyways, it really surprised me to see how active a “3rd-party” forum community can be when I arrived here [I love 3rd party sites! no, really!]. Immediately I thought of this as a great opportunity to express myself, and begin my slow and destructive process to take over the world.

When I heard the new single, ‘Keep It Together,’ from the new HTDA EP, it slightly blew my fuckin mind, and an idea sparked. They released the studio-oriented music video for Keep It Together, and I saw an opportunity to apply my own narrative to that song. This idea would end up going through a pout of identities in what it was trying to describe itself as, and it seems that frustration of trying to put this together reflects itself through the narrative [but somehow it remained tasteful in that whole process… or whatever].

Skipping past a bunch of shit that isn’t important or relevant, I began to adopt the new analog glitch art direction for HTDA, and incorporate that visual narrative element into a non-linear, visual adventure of sorts… for a new video of ‘Keep It Together’. I had saved up some cash, spent a lot of it on camera equipment, grabbed a couple people who made themselves available to help me out, and went about putting this into production over the next 7 weeks. By the way, I love to hear your feedback, and if you like it, share it with everyone

This is the first place I'm sharing it publicly, so it's like... a welcoming present for all of you.

edit: If you want to help me out, upvote the *reddit thread* if you like this! If it gets enough traction in the nin subreddit, then we'll see about putting it in a more public subreddit

[hd is awesome, and so is fullscreen, watch on youtube for best experience]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob milus
    depressedrobot32@gmail.com
    @robot_32
    Last edited by robot32; 01-16-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That is the best fan video I've ever seen. Well fucking done!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCmuse View Post
    That is the best fan video I've ever seen. Well fucking done!!
    Thank you! You're the best video I've ever... oh wait.. erm Thanks!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Whoa! That was REALLY well done. Kudos, now your video is gonna be stuck in my head every time I hear the song, haha. I especially loved that brief pan shot of the hotel room window toward the end. Gave me chills. Is this downloadable? I might wanna keep a copy handy for inspiration/reference on a future project or something.

Also, I'm sure that if Rob saw this, his glitch art boner would be outta control - in a good way! :P

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Holy shit that is incredible. Perfectly encapsulates the spirit of the song and the EP's art style, and works well with the rhythm. It almost seems like it's denegrating it to call it a fan video, as it works better than most professional videos in my opinion, but it makes the achievement all the more impressive.

Actually, it makes the song come alive for me in a way it hasn't done previously, which is what the very best music videos sometimes manage to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @Alrea - Glitch art boner... that's giving me ideas hmmm.. oh and thank you very much, and share it everywhere! You can do keeptube for downloading vids straight off youtube, or maybe I'll make a public dropbox link for anyone who wants a pre-youtube compressed movie file. Ideas ideas

@Vertigo - YOU are incredible! Seriously though, that hit me right in the feels, big-ass smile right on my silly face. Money can't buy that kind of joy <3!
    Last edited by robot32; 12-11-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robot32 View Post
    @Alrea - Glitch art boner... that's giving me ideas hmmm.. oh and thank you very much, and share it everywhere! You can do keeptube for downloading vids straight off youtube, or maybe I'll make a public dropbox link for anyone who wants a pre-youtube compressed movie file. Ideas ideas
    Spoken like a true Reznor fan, eh? ;P I'll have to get it stashed on a drive soon. This video actually got some creative juices flowing for me, it resonated on such a good level. Now all I need is a camera and a working computer (Come ooon, returned rent check!).

That thumbnail alone is just so...foreboding. It really gives viewers a good indication of what's in store.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-11-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Because autocorrect is my enemy at 6 a.m.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    M-must... resist... remembering... nine inch nails... deep video...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @Alrea Such.. positive.. comments.. staahhpp! My face hurts! <3
    @BenAkenobi Lol cool, I broke someone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You should send this to Rob Sheridan and see what he thinks, he seems to be in love with glitch art and it might even catch Trent's eye

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCmuse View Post
    You should send this to Rob Sheridan and see what he thinks, he seems to be in love with glitch art and it might even catch Trent's eye
    That has been part of the evil plan since the beginning I had a bit of bad timing with releasing this, he's on his honeymoon so that would be difficult right now... but who knows? Maybe we'll just need to be really vocal about this

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    For a fan made video, that is simply amazing. You've done very well. I'd love to get my hands on a non-youtube compressed version of it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    For a fan made video, that is simply amazing. You've done very well. I'd love to get my hands on a non-youtube compressed version of it...
    Thanks! I just drank some really shit milk but I'll pm you the Download link after this vomit feeling goes away :C

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    that was...holy fucking shit. i feel like i just watched the most well-produced paranormal snuff film ever.

if you don't mind me asking...what did you use for the black ooze? it was extremely effectively creepy.

i really hope the official NIN camp takes notice of this video, because it's amazing.

also, you have a great sense of humor, and that makes me like you even more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This. was. awesome. The thumbnail icon looks like Trent did in The Space in Between video - the motel reminded me of that video as well.

The quality of it though... fucking unreal.

Sometimes you doubt that indie filmmakers can compete with big budget, big "talent" works, and then something like this comes along - awesome to the Nth degree!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    THOSE DRIPS IN REVERSE. I love the video. It's the small things that really makes it awesome.
    Yes, glitch art, very awesome.. but double take on the moment when the black liquid falls upwards. Those small things that you think nobody will notice.

Good job, I am really impressed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was this close to say the video was better than the song. (I just pressed play without reading anything and thought it was the official video) Good job!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: My take on 'Keep It Together' music video

This is wildly creative. Totally love this. And just about anything everyone else has said for that matter. Awesome!
    I would also like a non compressed version if that's possible.
    Last edited by profane; 12-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe I like you even more for replying with such fffffuuuuuuuccc..... thanks! :]
    @danebraddy The quality of your reply is fucking UNREAL, thank you! :]
    @MAD THOSE THANKS IN REVERSE, FUCK YEY!
    @hobochic Dawwwwwww :3
    @profane Your comment is wildly totally the best, thank you!

edit: formatting

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Brilliant work! To the point that I wonder if this is some sort of commissioned viral marketing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Brilliant work! To the point that I wonder if this is some sort of commissioned viral marketing.
    Thanks very much! I'm trying to find a good way to promote it, so if any of you know any famous twitter peeps, I will make you a custom glitch portrait of you ;D

Also, I'll try to do a reddit submission in a bigger channel, the front page is a crazy dream - but I like crazy. Of course I'd need ETS' help in spreading the word :>

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, amazing quality. I've never seen a fan video of anything looking so polished before. I adored the quick scenery shots that flashed up in particular. Was that a toilet she stuck her head into by the way? If so, I bloody well hope you gave her a thank you card! She got right in there. Jesus, what a trooper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    Wow, amazing quality. I've never seen a fan video of anything looking so polished before. I adored the quick scenery shots that flashed up in particular. Was that a toilet she stuck her head into by the way? If so, I bloody well hope you gave her a thank you card! She got right in there. Jesus, what a trooper.
    Haha actually she didn't stick her head in the toilet, the male character did that. It tasted funny, I almost threw up and it was a good day.

Thanks for the comment :]

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Pretty good video. I think my only complaint is having the characters lip-sync to the song. I always prefer to let the singer or singers narrate the video if they don't actually appear in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robot32 View Post
    Haha actually she didn't stick her head in the toilet, the male character did that. It tasted funny, I almost threw up and it was a good day.

Thanks for the comment :]
    Oops, my bad. Sorry, I'm going blind. Thats clearly a very manly ear. Good dedication right there. Doubt theres much in the world I'd feel passionate enough to stick my face into a toilet over.

Anyways, not much I can really add that everyone hasn't already said. Awesome job man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    @BRoswell That's fair enough, everyone has their own tastes, much thanks for the input :>
    @Shnoorum Haha :P Thanks!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    woah. impressive as said above.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's a promising reddit that has spawned recently, help give me some love by upvoting and sharing this everywhere!

We made the front page of r/videos!! keep chugging wooohoo!

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...ow_to_destroy/
    Last edited by robot32; 12-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why It`s Not Blowing My Mind

though visual glitch and analog effects are maybe even better, than in ice age - they`re too repetetive and overused on my taste

you acting too much like [dirty] trent [from "deep"] is a little cheesy, i presume

that ooze reminds me of the dye from deep as well

oh... and smashing tvs with a bat is corny

all in all - it`s a nice try

p.s.: you can call me cunt/dick now
    Last edited by my voice just; 12-12-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dude, this is crazy.. I didn't even ... Haha, alright well you can either take my word for it or call out my claim here as bullshit, but I wasn't even considering that scene when I was setting up this shot. I was thinking the toilet bowl shots might have more resemblance, but you putting those images side by side made my jaw drop a bit. Nonetheless, I won't be a baby bitch about someone else's perspective contrasting with my own. I appreciate the feedback, I feel several things could have been done differently/better, but at some point I was forced to make myself wrap it up because of x y z reasons.

edit:: Forgot to mention your note about "Deep." I wont deny a strong inspiration coming from there, but yeah, tonalities and context etc... in short - good point!

Thanks again for the honesty, cheers
    Last edited by robot32; 12-12-2012 at 06:20 AM.