Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Daisy' - the streaming service from 'Beats' by Dr Dre and Trent Reznor.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    How many people in the grand scope of things (that is, people not on the Internet all the time) really care about that sort of thing, though? You don't see people protesting Google, or Facebook, even though millions and millions of people use those services on a daily basis, and they have just as much info on you as any governmental institution, maybe more. Convenience far outweighs privacy concerns for the average consumer.

That said, Beats's marketing team better do a damn good job to make this service look like the best damn thing to ever hit the music world, or else they'll just fall into the same category as iTunes Radio - the Spotify competitor that limped out of the gate five years too late.
    completely agreed

exactly what changed after the snowden debacle? jack shit. nobody really cares about their online privacy

that said, I have yet to see how, exactly, daisy will be different. this needs some examples to show how it will be better for an average consumer, i.e. me, as opposed to spottily, which I enjoy greatly (and pay for)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    completely agreed
    exactly what changed after the snowden debacle? jack shit. nobody really cares about their online privacy
    Nobody cares? I guess we are not sampling from the same population. As for things changing, it's too early to tell.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Nobody cares? I guess we are not sampling from the same population. As for things changing, it's too early to tell.
    there's a difference between people making a fuss and people actually doing something

ergo, nobody "really" cares

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    there's a difference between people making a fuss and people actually doing something

ergo, nobody "really" cares
    Exhibit A: 350% increase in TOR traffic.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cyber...c-395779.shtml

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Exhibit A: 350% increase in TOR traffic.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cyber...c-395779.shtml
    its been rapidly declining since and was never very material in terms of the number of people who use the net. https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html

oh, and tor is backed by the state department and was easily exploited to disrupt silk road... exhibit a that people mean well but don't really know what they're doing.

anyway, I'll stop derailing the topic now. I'd love to see whatever Daisy actually does.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New York Times
    Yet while consumers have flocked to free outlets like YouTube and Pandora, the more lucrative paid services have been slow to catch on
    Gee, I wonder why.

Amazing that they think some fancy new recommendation algorithm will solve this problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh, and tor is backed by the state department and was easily exploited to disrupt silk road... exhibit a that people mean well but don't really know what they're doing.
    TOR was not "exploited" to bust Silk Road. Ulbricht screwed up his operational security.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    its been rapidly declining since and was never very material in terms of the number of people who use the net. https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html

anyway, I'll stop derailing the topic now. I'd love to see whatever Daisy actually does.
    "Easily exploited"? Really? Do you have any idea how TOR even works?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So far signup isn't working for me.

I "claimed my name" a few months ago, & it's not letting me sign up even after resetting my password.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Is the promo campaign deliberately "under the radar"? Outside of this thread I've seen only the odd mention here and there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've seen several articles about it. It's live here: https://beatsmusic.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Gotta love their 404 Not Found page https://beatsmusic.com/notfound

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

'Daisy' - the streaming service from 'Beats' by Dr Dre and Trent Reznor.

I claimed my name about five minutes after they let you, and now I haven't gotten an email to complete my registration as was said in the original email, and it says my email isn't valid to reset my password. Bummer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I attempted to register a couple times last night as soon as the app went live, but kept getting a "We're having connection issues" error so gave up thinking I would just try again later. Tried again this morning and it now says my email has already been registered. Tried to login with email and password, invalid login. Tried to reset my password and it tells me my email address isn't registered. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out soon, would really like to check this out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I finally got it to work but unimpressed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vivisection13 View Post
    I finally got it to work but unimpressed.
    care to elaborate?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm probably just drinking the Kool-aid but I enjoy Beats Music so far. I've never been interested in streaming services but this seems fun and interesting. I've spent a lot of time so far liking music I'm into. I'm interested to see if they will be able to recommend things I haven't heard that I will like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Are streaming services a 'winner-take-all' scenario like social media?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Are streaming services a 'winner-take-all' scenario like social media?
    No, but Beats is pretty late to the party, & most of the competitors offer a free ad-supported version.

Still getting my account issues sorted out, I'm on an AT&T family plan & was planning on trying to use Beats exclusively for my music listening for 90 days to see how it works out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "I actually looked into this further and found why you can't log in. Your invitation email for your claimed name will come in later today, I just ask that you be patient. Don't worry, you're not the only one since this issue is coming up quite common today."

Weak, you'd think people who told them months ago they were interested in the service would've woken up this morning with the Emails already in their Inbox.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    so Trent's not only gone over to using his music in commercials... he's also using a whole EP to promote a product now?

btw Four Tet had this to say:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    so Trent's not only gone over to using his music in commercials... he's also using a whole EP to promote a product now?

btw Four Tet had this to say:

Wasnt he always using his music to promote a product? CDs, vinyl,... Streaming? It's all kind of the same to me.

Would love to know Four Tet's opinion in more than just a pithy one-word

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Wasnt he always using his music to promote a product? CDs, vinyl,... Streaming? It's all kind of the same to me.
    I disagree. It was about music first. That music came in form of a disc or in digital format. Your choice. This time it's exclusively used to promote an app. It's about the app. The music's just a trojan horse, basically.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Festival 2013 EP was Spotify-only, the only difference this time is Trent has a financial interest in Beats.

Still haven't gotten my invite Email, so glad I gave them my info MONTHS ago, if it wasn't for the Trent connection I wouldn't care at this point.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I disagree. It was about music first. That music came in form of a disc or in digital format. Your choice. This time it's exclusively used to promote an app. It's about the app. The music's just a trojan horse, basically.
    I think that's an inherently cynical view of a platform. If you look at it like that, the music has always been the 'trojan horse' to get you to buy the product. Music got you to buy the CD. The music is now getting you to try out a platform, which makes money for the artist. [EDIT: well, it makes money for someone. maybe.]

Certainly fair to be cynical, just respectfully disagree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=r_z;162566]so Trent's not only gone over to using his music in commercials... he's also using a whole EP to promote a product now?

What's the EP? The spotify one?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Gotta love their 404 Not Found page https://beatsmusic.com/notfound

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post

What's the EP? The spotify one?
    The new remix EP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I don't get it.
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lionelrichie/hello.html

"Hello!
    Is it me you're looking for?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Got it, sorry, posted excitedly, LOL. This is like the day I walked into a Best Buy and saw 'Further down the spiral' just sitting there on the new releases rack for 8.99

...and, there's the hook- sign in with whatever.
    Business is business.
    I guess if I want a band holding to their anarchic, DIY roots, there will always be The Body.
    Last edited by SarahConnor; 01-21-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: extra thoughts

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Crashy, crashy...

Half the time the app crashes, I have to start all over again with telling it what kind of music I like. Anyone else seeing this, or is it just due to my iPhone 4 not being up to snuff?