Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All things dubstep

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

All things dubstep

Slowly this genre of music is starting to grow on me even though a good portion of it sucks. However, some of the gems I've found via Pandora are as follows:

what else am I missing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    do you mean brostep?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    brostep dubstep, I dont care.....I enjoy some of this sort of stuff. It reminds me of my DnB days after highschool......except we didnt smoke crack like the kid in the first video.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A lot of this has really grown on me as well. I'm not super familiar with all the different groups/artists out there, but I found good source for discovering new ones. Check out Drop Cliff, it's a blog site that posts good compilations quite often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems cool, but almost all the same, just like Techno in the late 90's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dubstep

Have been listening to a lot of Burial lately. Loving his stuff. Anyone else got any good suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is Burial even Dubstep?

I've been listening a lot to this songs lately:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's too hard for me to take dubstep serious as music. I just seems like the people from the emo scene realized their days were numbered and jumped ship to either this or deathcore. Plus a lot of it sounds like they just took break downs from aggressive electronic music and attempted to make songs of out them. That's like taking guitar solos and attempting to do the same. Plus having the same sound palette for every song seems pretty cheap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _incoma_ View Post
    It's too hard for me to take dubstep serious as music. I just seems like the people from the emo scene realized their days were numbered and jumped ship to either this or deathcore. Plus a lot of it sounds like they just took break downs from aggressive electronic music and attempted to make songs of out them. That's like taking guitar solos and attempting to do the same. Plus having the same sound palette for every song seems pretty cheap.
    Yeah, I hate that Skrillex son of a bitch too, but it can be nice. Listen to the songs I posted!! They're not bad actually. But I get your point.. there are a LOT of shitty dubstep remixes out there.

oh, and for burial, check out the remix he did for massive attack (it's on their latest EP). 11 minutes long or something.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Check out this album if you haven't yet, seriously.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Skrillex may be the biggest name doing dubstep nowadays, but the genre was around for years & years before him, and sounds much different than his aggressive style. That being said, i appreciate his style of music, along the same lines that i could get into The Prodigy's "big beat" style when they got mainstream attention. its fun for what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Is Burial even Dubstep?
    Absolutely. More dubstep than anything you linked to. I think that dubstep as a still relatively new genre is very misunderstood. Go check out the 2006-2008 era Benga, Skream, and Burial stuff (and a handful of others). That is dubstep. A curious experimental foray into a hybrid of 2-step and UK Garage. Over a few years it lost a bit of its dark overtones and got a bit more melodic. The Rusko figured out how to use his LFO knob. Then, well, fuck...

Jump a few years into the future and we have poppy pap like Nero and mindless demon fart-fuck Skrillex. And the only thing either of these dude's have in common with the earlier stuff is a general tempo of around 140. Enter....

BROSTEP
    Last edited by Reser D; 12-04-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with the above that dubstep is very misunderstood as a genre. At uni brostep is pretty prevalent but most people unfortunately think it's proper dubstep. Having said that, I do occasionally listen to Nero when I'm running because they're good for a high bpm. Anyway, I absolutely adore Burial's Untrue, and currently have SBTRKT's debut on repeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Get over yourselves. "I listened to dubstep before it was cool." Burial and his likes are very talented, but you can't deny the facepunching brutality of a track like Swagga. Because that is what you refer to as brostep, right? I also very much enjoy Feed Me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I recently discover Toasty and Distance. Kinda of along the same realms of Burial. Love the slow grind of it all. Great to do work too.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    http://8tracks.com/silencenogood/dub...-game-classics

Interesting take on some old 8bit action

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Not a big fan either, but Bassnectar is awesome! Seen him between 10-20 times as he's a regular around this area.

Check out EOTO.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The band's music is created live and without prerecorded loops.[1] The band formed in 2006 as a side project of The String Cheese Incident incorporating looper pedals, like Echoplex and the DJ program Ableton. According to one reviewer, the duo sets their live instruments free and take on a new electronic flavor.[2][3] The band played their first show at Sonic Bloom in May 2006. [3] In 2008 they played over 200 live shows [1] and more than seven hundred shows in 48 different states during the five years since their founding. The band performs at Apple Stores to demonstrate how they produce their music in concert. EOTO has released three studio albums. Each album is mixed and mastered from one live take including some pre-set sounds.[4] EOTO also record many of its live shows and makes them available to fans on the Internet.[5] After experiencing dubstep at DJ Skream's set at Shambhala during the summer of 2008, they duo saw a change in their sound. Fire the Lazers!!!, their 2009 studio release, introduced a buzz-saw bass and heavier backbeat. Their music also incorporates sludge metal bass sounds and punk riffs. EOTO originally stood for "End of Time Observatory",[6] with the members pronouncing it as E-O-T-O, soon letting it blur to EeOhToe. After some Japanese fans pointed out that the word means "good sound" in Japanese, the band has officially been the word EOTO instead of the acronym.[2]
    Last edited by Jon; 12-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mt Eden is alright. Lots of stuff on YouTube. Can't link at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know much about this type of music either but just came to echo that Bassnectar is really good stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've been diving deeper into the genre and have gotten really into Distance. I guess he was one of the originators of the style. His sound is really dark and atmospheric. Here's a song from his second album:

Overall, I'm pretty selective with the kind of dubstep I'm into. I prefer the darker sounding style and really like the stuff that Excision & Datsik put out as a duo. Distance wins it for me, though. It's subtle, but engaging all at once.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dubstep is really fun to dance to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Distance - Fallen (Vex'd Remix)

So easy to get lost in...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

http://www.neorevmusic.com

Please check out my free album available for download thru the link above.
    My style is a mix of dubstep, glitch hop, experimental, and industrial

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post

Distance - Fallen (Vex'd Remix)

So easy to get lost in...
    I haven't heard this before, but seeing those two names gets me excited to click play. Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    http://www.neorevmusic.com

Please check out my free album available for download thru the link above.
    My style is a mix of dubstep, glitch hop, experimental, and industrial
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...tic-Expression
    Last edited by Triggermine; 12-09-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Sorry, I would have made a topic in that section, but already made one in the music section by mistake.
    Didn't wanna create 2 of the same threads, especially it being the new boards and all.
    Figured this was a dubstep chat and good place to get feedback on my tunes for folks with similar tastes in music.
    Hope y'all don't mind, just sharing some original beats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Burial supremacy. Death to Skrillex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I haven't heard this before, but seeing those two names gets me excited to click play. Thanks for the post!
    No worries! Thoughts? Any time I listen to any sort of dubstep I always fall back into the darker stuff, eventually getting sucked back into this particular track for some reason. Theres something about it!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    No worries! Thoughts? Any time I listen to any sort of dubstep I always fall back into the darker stuff, eventually getting sucked back into this particular track for some reason. Theres something about it!
    I dug it! It definitely combines the best aspects of both artists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really hope this whole dubstep TREND ends soon. I know too many losers that only buy into this for acceptance.