Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stand Up

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    God, I miss this man. Truly way ahead of his time. Would love to see what his take would be on the current state of the US.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ricky Gervais opening monologue at the Golden Globes. OMG. the GOAT.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I thought it was lame. Gervais came off like any run of the mill alt right troll on twitter bitching about celebrities talking about politics when they voted for one.

Nikki Glaser’s short set on The Degenerates on Netflix felt like outtakes from her recent special (also on Netflix), but was still pretty funny.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    God, I miss this man. Truly way ahead of his time. Would love to see what his take would be on the current state of the US.

probably wouldn't change much other than be upset at the spinelessness of certain politicians on both sides.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Kennedy Center event honoring Dave Chappelle receiving the Mark Twain Award was worth watching... Just noticed it's posted above.. but yeah, good stuff and here's the link to the full show https://www.pbs.org/video/dave-chapp...-prize-qbmxgn/

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I just watched Taylor Tomlinson’s new Netflix special—Quarter Life Crisis. It’s sharp and funny.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This question is rhetorical... Why How does Brendan Schaub have a comedy special?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The rub from being on Rogan so much.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

"because there's a fucking 'h' in it" is one of my favorite unnecessarily vulgar lines ever.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    New Patton Oswalt (my favorite stand up comedian) and Jerry Seinfeld on Netflix later this month!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    New Patton Oswalt (my favorite stand up comedian) and Jerry Seinfeld on Netflix later this month!
    unsurprisingly, the new Patton Oswalt is great.

The Seinfeld surprised me. Better than I thought. Some solid bits mixed in with some eyeroll material. The part where he did HIS impersonation of how women impersonate their husbands voices killed me. Sounded exactly like my wife when she does her super exaggerated, ridiculous impersonation of my voice.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New surprise Chappelle drop.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Will check it out later tonight

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The Chappelle is phenomenal. It was filmed near his house in Ohio last week and they put up a 27 min segment of one of the performances. It's mostly deadly serious, and angry. But when it's funny, it's very funny. A must-see, and preferably as soon as you can bc if it's timeliness.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Honestly even though it's not comedy, it's probably Chappelle's best performance.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I swear to god, the Dave Chappelle isn't on my netflix.

About to watch it on youtube

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Anyone watch the new Louis CK "Sincerely, Louis CK" comedy special? I was cringing the whole damn time.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Anyone watch the new Louis CK "Sincerely, Louis CK" comedy special? I was cringing the whole damn time.
    I thought it was his best in years.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not a big Andrew Schulz fan, outside of his masterful crowd work, but Massey Hall is a bit ridiculous for doing this.

https://www.blogto.com/arts/2021/11/...chulz-toronto/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I'm not a big Andrew Schulz fan, outside of his masterful crowd work, but Massey Hall is a bit ridiculous for doing this.

https://www.blogto.com/arts/2021/11/...chulz-toronto/
    I don't know who he is or why his show was cancelled, but any time I hear about a comedian saying that people are being too sensitive if they cancel them for making inappropriate jokes they've already lost me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Inappropriate being a subjective term. Maybe I should've added some additional context. The reason I posted that is more a comment about Toronto specifically. Schulz is a pretty non-controversial figure and this move echoes the risk averse, creativity stifling nature of this city. As much as I love living here, the place often shows that it has no guts. Examples of this include any changes enacted being dubbed "pilot projects" because they are afraid of people being upset (bike lanes, no car traffic on King Street). Public art projects being driven by some odd agenda where a number of them have a requirement to explicitly feature specific themes such as multiculturalism. It isn't enough that the artist by their own existence is multicultural. No creative foresight into public projects, instead it is the old "Hey let's try this thing NYC did 10 years ago". I get that I'm making a comparison between municipal decisions and a private business but to me it's another example of the lame fog that often hangs over this town.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I finally watched Jerry Seinfeld's first special, and I was VERY surprised: I laughed my ass off!
    I didn't think I'd like his stand up, because the onstage segments from the TV show never elicited a laugh from me. Also, my brother got to see his act a couple of times at work (doing lighting or sound or something) and HE didn't like it.

So I just figured it wasn't for me.

But yeah! It actually made my day. I was also impressed by how well the material has held up.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I finally watched Jerry Seinfeld's first special, and I was VERY surprised: I laughed my ass off!
    I didn't think I'd like his stand up, because the onstage segments from the TV show never elicited a laugh from me. Also, my brother got to see his act a couple of times at work (doing lighting or sound or something) and HE didn't like it.

So I just figured it wasn't for me.

But yeah! It actually made my day. I was also impressed by how well the material has held up.
    I got to see him live several years back. He absolutely killed. There's a reason so many top tier comedians respect him. He's got complete control of the audience.

Check out 23 Hours To Kill. I think thats his most recent one. Most of the stuff I saw him do live made it in there.

I think the key to enjoying his stuff, much like his show, is to understand that despite the fact most of it is clean it's also very dark and cynical.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have been enjoying the Shane Gillis special from Austin a lot.

Here is one of my fav bits from it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Shane Gillis released a new hour on Netflix and it honestly may be in my top 10 of all time. I saw him perform it live a few months ago and left that night thinking it was one of the best. Watching the special last night confirmed it.