Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Westerns

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Westerns

These came out in American theaters 50 years ago. As far as everything that has come out within that time I can't think of another year where three solid classics of one genre came out. Maybe 77 with Star Wars and Close Encounters ​comes close.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    AH. So there IS a Westerns thread.

OK. Here is my thing. I fucking LOOOOOOOOOVE Revisionist/Modern westerns, everything from Tombstone and Unforgiven to The Assassination of Jesse James..., Bone Tomahawk, the new True Grit and 3:10, ALL that shit. I LOVE it.
    But, there just aren't MANY of them. I mean, i think i've SEEN all of the good ones. What i HAVEN'T seen are the OG westerns, aside from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SO, i'm trying to find out which ones are the hot ticket.

I got The Wild Bunch and THe Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (i've not seen them yet.)
    What else actually holds up today, though? Like, i'm not looking for a nostalgia trip for something i caught on Nick at Nite when i was 9 or whatever. I'm asking which ones are SERIOUSLY still worth watching, first time around.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    AH. So there IS a Westerns thread.

OK. Here is my thing. I fucking LOOOOOOOOOVE Revisionist/Modern westerns, everything from Tombstone and Unforgiven to The Assassination of Jesse James..., Bone Tomahawk, the new True Grit and 3:10, ALL that shit. I LOVE it.
    But, there just aren't MANY of them. I mean, i think i've SEEN all of the good ones. What i HAVEN'T seen are the OG westerns, aside from The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SO, i'm trying to find out which ones are the hot ticket.

I got The Wild Bunch and THe Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (i've not seen them yet.)
    What else actually holds up today, though? Like, i'm not looking for a nostalgia trip for something i caught on Nick at Nite when i was 9 or whatever. I'm asking which ones are SERIOUSLY still worth watching, first time around.
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Red River
    Rio Bravo
    The Searchers
    The Wild Bunch

Any movie where John Wayne's character is an asshole is usually pretty good.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Red River
    Rio Bravo
    The Searchers
    The Wild Bunch

Any movie where John Wayne's character is an asshole is usually pretty good.
    I haven't seen many classic westerns, but I just watched The Searchers for the first time last week and definitely second this recommendation.

I also second Liberty Valance, which is amazing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gunsmoke, ftw.

Matt Dillon is my favorite Western character. At 6'7 (before his boots and hat), James Arness was this huge, towering figure, a sort of cross between Wayne and Eastwood.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-23-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I second The Wild Bunch and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I mean, you may as well watch the whole Man with No Name trilogy. Someone also mentioned The Searchers, that's probably going to be the best bridge for you to connect "classic" with "revisionist" westerns. I find that High Noon is another "classic" example that was subversive during its time of release and is reminiscent of some of "revisionist" works mentioned. I just watched Two Mules for Sister Sara, that was a fun movie. If you're looking for more newer westerns, I thought Hostiles and Slow West were good. I love westerns, there's always more to watch though lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Australians make westerns, too.

One of our recent best, The Proposition

Written by Nick Cave. Directed by John Hillcoat, who went on to direct How To Destroy Angels’ ‘Ice Age’ video.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Australians make westerns, too.

One of our recent best, The Proposition

Written by Nick Cave. Directed by John Hillcoat, who went on to direct How To Destroy Angels’ ‘Ice Age’ video.
    This reminds me, there's also The True History of the Kelly Gang. I haven't watched it yet, but the director, Justin Kurzel, did an excellent adaptation of Macbeth in 2015. It's on my watchlist.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love "The Man With No Name" trilogy, The Searchers, Hang 'Em High. Any Western with Eastwood.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Love "The Man With No Name" trilogy, The Searchers, Hang 'Em High. Any Western with Eastwood.
    Thank you guys, all. I love this damn community.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm looking at the top rated TV shows from 1959-1960. Four in the top ten are Westerns. And there are more Westerns in the bottom half. Shows how insanely popular Westerns were back then.

I've been watching a lot of the early Gunsmoke episodes, the ones that are black and white and 30 minutes. Some of them are super dark and sad. These episodes are seldom shown on re-runs and aren't on Paramount+ with the other seasons. It's a shame because it's damn fine television, up there with The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. The early Gunsmoke has the same sort of vibe.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Shane!
    Come back Shane!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Was Shane killed at the end?