Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: HTDA and Germany - what's wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HTDA and Germany - what's wrong?

So I spend yesterdays afternoon visiting local record stores in a vain attempt to pre-order the Omen EP. But the only answer I managed to get was this: "There is no such thing". None of the stores had the EP in their systems, nor does Amazon Germany (or France, for that matter).

And yes, I did find small online stores where I could preorder an "import" (and even relatively cheaply so), but I do not trust our local postal services enough to order something as fragile as a LP via a shipping service that deliverd my last package the other day looking like a dobermann had it's way with it.

My point being: Every NIN release that I can remember (except EDIETS), I could just walk into a random store at the day of it's release and buy it. No big deal. Even after Trent became a Pirate, I could at least get "Ghosts", the first HTDA-EP and even the limited "The Slip" simply via Amazon Germany.

But now, with Columbia taking the reigns and doing something "hip" with this band, things start to get messy.

For once, both Amazon France and Germany list "An Omen" as a Sony-release, which lets me believe that there might be some lingering red tape from older contracts, maybe dating back to the first EP's release.
    This would also explain why HTDA music videos on YouTube are censored in my country, owing to copyright claims by "SME" (Sony Music Entertaintment, I guess).

Second theory: They realized that there is no viable market for Vinyl-only releases in my country (at least not for such a "major band" as HTDA aspires to be) and decided not to release it at all.... leaving the field to various "import"-merchants.

Why I started this thread:
    (1) I want to know if other german fans had different experiences and if there are actually stores I should visit (thankfull for any tips in the greater Berlin area)

(2) I want to know if fans in other european countrys (France, Poland, Denmark...) face similar problems - if so I'll change the name of this thread accordingly.

(3) I know for a fact that this place is where most of the NIN market-research get's done... so by posting here I hope to get some alarm bells ringing at higher levels.

(4) I want to know if somebody has more insights in the above mentioned problems (maybe from some obscure Facebook-comments or from wherever) and can enlighten us with his/her explanations.

And slightly off-topic: I listened to the stream yesterday and I was pleased and surprised how diverse the music actually turned out to be, compared to "Keep it together" - so I am starting to looking forward to this Platte, if I can find it.

EDIT: Now I feel like an asshole. I just went to a Saturn, not believing that they could help me - and 1 minute later I've got a preorder at an amazing price (6.99 Euro). Not even an import, the normal release - apparently the german/european release date was pushed back to November 30th, for whatever reasons. I forget to ask though wether it's released by Sony or Columbia... but who cares?

ADMINS, please delete this thread... or merge it into the big one.
    Sorry.

Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 11-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee
    For once, both Amazon France and Germany list "An Omen" as a Sony-release, which lets me believe that there might be some lingering red tape from older contracts, maybe dating back to the first EP's release.
    This would also explain why HTDA music videos on YouTube are censored in my country, owing to copyright claims by "SME" (Sony Music Entertaintment, I guess).
    As far as I know, Sony owns Columbia, so I doubt there's more to it than that. No idea why Germany is being overlooked, though. Haven't searched for HTDA in Denmark, to be honest.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe sony/columbia will release HTDA in my country. Hope dies last, they say lol