Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Carnivale

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @NYRexall @elevenism @eversonpoe @Self.Destructive.Pattern

Another amazing period piece drama series is Cinemax's The Knick starring Clive Owen and directed by Steven Soderbergh. So so so good! Takes place in early 1900s NYC at the Knickerbocker hospital with Owen playing a liquid cocaine addicted surgeon trying to push the boundaries of surgery. U2's Bono's daughter is also in it and quite amazing. Honestly, like Carnivale, everyone is fucking stellar. It went for two seasons. They were thinking about continuing it, but it seems Cinemax decided against it and would rather stick with action shows. I mean it does come to a conclusion with the season 2 finale, but they were looking for a new way to approach future seasons and possibly new characters. As much as I'd love to see more of The Knick, the two seasons are perfect and don't leave you hanging like Carnivale. Very well done and beautifully shot. I highly suggest folks to check it out. It really looked like Cinemax was finally stepping into HBO, Netflix, etc. greatness with this series, but it seems they want to stick with cheaper, mindless action shows according to their statement. When The Knick first premiered, they were also playing it on HBO to get people to come over to Cinemax (since both channels are owned by the same company) but they really should have just released it on HBO. I imagine it would have received an even bigger audience there than on Cinemax. It truly deserves more praise and respect.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-29-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I had no idea Cinemax was even still a thing..?

Alas, I've heard all great things about The Knick and plus Bono's daughter is vivacious af, so I will definitely be checking this out. Likely in tandem with the final two seasons of Penny Dreadful, since they canceled that one after only a couple of years as well : /

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I had no idea Cinemax was even still a thing..?

Alas, I've heard all great things about The Knick and plus Bono's daughter is vivacious af, so I will definitely be checking this out. Likely in tandem with the final two seasons of Penny Dreadful, since they canceled that one after only a couple of years as well : /
    Yeah, Cinemax only recently started getting into series but they've been somewhat lacking. To be honest, I was shocked a show as good as The Knick was on Cinemax. It's just on a whole other level compared to the rest of their line up.

With Penny Dreadful's "finale" though, they tried to claim that three seasons was the plan. But from what I heard from viewers about the finale and unanswered questions and certain plots elements that were introduced into the new season only to be left unfinished, it definitely seems like they got the axe and tried to pass it off as something planned. I thought the first season of Penny Dreadful was amazing, but it started losing me during the second season. I have yet to watch the third season and almost don't want to because of the bad things I've heard.

P.S. You will definitely love Bono's daughter in The Knick. It's pretty amazing where her character goes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @neorev doesn't clint mansell do the score for the knick, too? that's how i originally heard about it and have been wanting to check it out. good to know it's top notch.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @neorev doesn't clint mansell do the score for the knick, too? that's how i originally heard about it and have been wanting to check it out. good to know it's top notch.
    Cliff Martinez does the score (Drive, The Neon Demon, Solaris)

Great score too!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Cliff Martinez does the score (Drive, The Neon Demon, Solaris)

Great score too!
    damnit! my brain always misfiles the two them (probably because of the shared initials and previous involvement in bands)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You wanna talk about a show that you'll be pissed got cancelled on the motherfucker of all cliffhangers. Oh boyyyy....

edit: re: The Knick

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yeah, Cinemax only recently started getting into series but they've been somewhat lacking. To be honest, I was shocked a show as good as The Knick was on Cinemax. It's just on a whole other level compared to the rest of their line up.

With Penny Dreadful's "finale" though, they tried to claim that three seasons was the plan. But from what I heard from viewers about the finale and unanswered questions and certain plots elements that were introduced into the new season only to be left unfinished, it definitely seems like they got the axe and tried to pass it off as something planned. I thought the first season of Penny Dreadful was amazing, but it started losing me during the second season. I have yet to watch the third season and almost don't want to because of the bad things I've heard.

P.S. You will definitely love Bono's daughter in The Knick. It's pretty amazing where her character goes.
    Ahhh, I totally forgot about The Knick. I am a big fan of Clive Owens work (So psyched that he will be in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets!) I have both seasons in my backlog of series I have yet to dive into.

As for Penny Dreadful... don't even get me started. I loved every minute of that show, but the second season dragged a bit too much and could have gotten to the point a bit earlier to make even more room for story development instead of focusing sooo much on Poole. All in all, I still enjoyed it. If you are a fan, you should definitely watch the third season. It has it's moments, but you can obviously tell that there was so much more to explore in the Penny Dreadful universe and I do not believe for a second that the original plan was to make only three seasons. When they said "We cannot imagine this show without Vanessa Ives." Seriously??? You have allll of these compelling characters in the show at your disposal, yet you couldn't muster up even one more season? Ugh, rant over.

Other shows that left on a cliffhanger that never saw more continuity that I happened to love were "Jericho" and "Revolution".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is this show even available in HD?
    edit: Okay, so it's in HD on Amazon. Shame there's no bluray set.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    You wanna talk about a show that you'll be pissed got cancelled on the motherfucker of all cliffhangers. Oh boyyyy....

edit: re: The Knick
    Seriously?

I feel foolish blind buying both months back now.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-29-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    When they said "We cannot imagine this show without Vanessa Ives."
    If this turns out to be a spoiler, I'm going to dick punch you..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Seriously?

I feel foolish blind buying both months back now.
    If you mean that it came off that I didn't like it, nooooo I may have been unclear. It was incredible, but the second season finale cliffhanger is insane, and knowing that we'll never see any more pisses me off to no end.

If you mean that you're worried you'll really like it and also feel bummed knowing what happens will never be resolved...join the club lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    If you mean that it came off that I didn't like it, nooooo I may have been unclear. It was incredible, but the second season finale cliffhanger is insane, and knowing that we'll never see any more pisses me off to no end.

If you mean that you're worried you'll really like it and also feel bummed knowing what happens will never be resolved...join the club lol.
    No, being cancelled!

yes, that's what I meant haha. Disappointment incoming.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Is this show even available in HD?
    edit: Okay, so it's in HD on Amazon. Shame there's no bluray set.
    We're talking about so many shows, are you asking about where to get Carnivale in HD? I know it's on HBOGo and HBONow in HD. Sadly HBO only released it on DVD. I'd totally rebuy on Blu-ray if it was made available. But I must say, I do love the 6 disc DVD sets. They look almost like books. They have slipcases with a digipack DVD sized boxes that fold out. The art it quite nice. They came out with smaller 4 disc sets that weren't as nice, just thin plastic cases in a holder. I always hate how they kinda skimp out with Blu-ray cases though and put discs in those smaller blue plastic cases instead of cool art cases.

Outside slipcase for season 1...

Inside foldout box...

Outside slipcase of season 2...

The inside foldout case...

They fold out so that each panel has a clear disc holder, so it folds out to be 6 panels, one for each disc, with artwork on both sides. I found these pics online, but I could take better ones of my own sets if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-29-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    We're talking about so many shows, are you asking about where to get Carnivale in HD?
    I was talking about Carnivale, yes. It's been quite a while since I've seen it, so I vaguely remember it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I was talking about Carnivale, yes. It's been quite a while since I've seen it, so I vaguely remember it.
    Ah ok, sadly it seems HD is only available in digital stores and on HBOGo and Now.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    About halfway through Season One and really beginning to enjoy this show! Friday nights when I watch it can't come soon enough.

Also started Six Feet Under last evening and just from the pilot episode I know I'm going to love the hell out of this show, too. The dark humor is already top notch. For example:

When the guy who played Dexter and the old man are standing over the casket holding the old man's wife..

Old Man: She looks so peaceful.

Dexter: Well, she's at peace now..

Old Man: If there's any justice in the world, she's shoveling shit in hell.

Haaahaha

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I've got three episodes left in the first season of Carnivale, and the second season already waiting in the wings. I'm already aware I'm going to have to re-watch this show at least a second time to figure out exactly what the hell is going on, but it's great stuff regardless. I don't mind the languid pace and a significant portion of it is pretty unnerving..

Some damn good television going on in my life right now. Oz continues to amaze, I'm about to start The Knick, Carnivale ramping up, Six Feet Under being great and Twin Peaks about to start up again. Hell, even the fourth season of Sons of Anarchy I'm watching has finally given that show a shot in the arm. I need to check out this 'American Gods' show that I keep hearing about, too..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @NYRexall
    Be prepared to be on the edge of your seat with your mouth gaped open during the final moments of Carnivale's season 1 finale. You'll probably not want to wait too long to put on Season 2.

Carnivale is one of those shows where you discover new elements on repeat viewings. I never had an issue with the pacing of the show. It really helps that you spend time with these characters and you end up becoming close with all of them. You feel for the good guys as well as the bad guys. The first season puts all the pieces in place where as the second season is faster pace. Kinda like the way the last half of a book picks up steam. Seasons 1 and 2 are meant to be like a single book in a trilogy of books according to creator Knauf. Hope you didn't read my spoilers of what was to come in season 3 as told by Knauf. Once you finish the second season, go back and read it. I also have the pdf of the pitch document Knauf created and gave to HBO to show that gives you more incite into the story and with background information about each character. When you finish it all, I will send it to you. If you have some questions or something you'd like to discuss, I'd love to help where I can. I can never stop talking about this show.

I frigging love The Knick, such an amazing show. I think you will enjoy it. It's up there as one of my favorite series.

Americans Gods is quite good so far. It kinda makes me think AMC's Preacher wishes it was American Gods. It has some strange, out of this world, dark comedy on the world.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-17-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @NYRexall
    Be prepared to be on the edge of your seat with your mouth gaped open during the final moments of Carnivale's season 1 finale. You'll probably not want to wait too long to put on Season 2.

Carnivale is one of those shows where you discover new elements on repeat viewings. I never had an issue with the pacing of the show. It really helps that you spend time with these characters and you end up becoming close with all of them. You feel for the good guys as well as the bad guys. The first season puts all the pieces in place where as the second season is faster pace. Kinda like the way the last half of a book picks up steam. Seasons 1 and 2 are meant to be like a single book in a trilogy of books according to creator Knauf. Hope you didn't read my spoilers of what was to come in season 3 as told by Knauf. Once you finish the second season, go back and read it. I also have the pdf of the pitch document Knauf created and gave to HBO to show that gives you more incite into the story and with background information about each character. When you finish it all, I will send it to you. If you have some questions or something you'd like to discuss, I'd love to help where I can. I can never stop talking about this show.

I frigging love The Knick, such an amazing show. I think you will enjoy it. It's up there as one of my favorite series.

Americans Gods is quite good so far. It kinda makes me think AMC's Preacher wishes it was American Gods. It has some strange, out of this world, dark comedy on the world.
    Preacher is another one I want to start in on soon. I just finished season two of the Americans and the Knick will replace it for a season, so it has some lofty shoes to fill.

I already decided that as soon as season one of Carnivale ends, I will likely jump right in to season two. Given how weird this show is, I feel it's better if I just keep on rolling with it. I will definitely come looking for that season three synopsis once I finish season two.

Can't wait to see where these war dreams Ben keeps having lead to, or what the hell the whole Knights Templar thing is about. I know you know all the answers to this stuff already, but we'll have to discuss once it all (hopefully) makes sense to me. Some incredibly weird shit happening on this show right now. I can't wait to see what happens next from week to week

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @NYRexall I love reading updates as to the shows you're watching, and your varying levels of enjoyment. I think because we have similar tastes in television, it makes for compulsive reading. Can I ask, how do you watch your shows? One episode of each show per week, or do you back-to-back episodes?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Two episodes left in the first season of Carnivale. The tension is mounting and I'm loving it. Sophie's catatonic mother creeps me the fuck out big time and Justin Crowe is equally off his nut. Being that this series is so short, it's likely I will immediately re-watch it as soon as I'm done with the first run through.

@neorev I also started the Knick yesterday. This is going to be a tough one to sit through because blood-soaked surgeries and people shooting dope into their toes and their dick makes me especially squeamish. The slimy ambulance driver guy is a trip though, and I already feel attached to the negro doctor who is adept at making his own breaks, given all he's up against..
    Yeah, The Knick will definitely make you squirm, that's for sure.
    But trust me, like Carnivale, you'll be pulled in by all of these characters, including the slimy ambulance driver lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @NYRexall
    Just when you think you might have a grasp on things...
    Season 2 Episode 1 comes along and will blow your mind.

I also highly, highly, highly suggest HBO's The Leftovers. An amazing fucking series that has reinvented itself and raised the bar with each season.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Saving the final episode of Carnivale season one for this coming Friday

@neorev You weren't kidding about The Knick; this show is fantastic. Only four episodes in and I'm already invested in the characters. Some of these surgical procedures they perform are harrowing af, like Clive Owens attaching that girl's arm to her face so the skin will help her grow a new nose-piece..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Saving the final episode of Carnivale season one for this coming Friday

@neorev You weren't kidding about The Knick; this show is fantastic. Only four episodes in and I'm already invested in the characters. Some of these surgical procedures they perform are harrowing af, like Clive Owens attaching that girl's arm to her face so the skin will help her grow a new nose-piece..
    What's even crazier is that a lot of these wild procedures you see in this show are shit we actually did back in the day. It's actually quite amazing how far we were along with surgical procedures in the early 1900s. You think these things were discovered much later.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Finished the first season last evening. Pretty terrific stuff. In hindsight, they did a fantastic job slowly unspooling the narratives between the carnival folk so that it all came to somewhat of a head in the final episode. Justin Crowe's story arc seemed more like set-up than execution in this season, but I'm sure he'll be off to a galloping start once season two kicks in. Michael J. Anderson has killed it on this show for me so far. Despite his personal eccentricities, he was born for his role in this.

Can't wait to start the next season in a few weeks, so this, Oz and the Twin Peaks revival all close out on the same weekend for me in September. That's going to be one bittersweet farewell to some remarkable television..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Finished the first season last evening. Pretty terrific stuff. In hindsight, they did a fantastic job slowly unspooling the narratives between the carnival folk so that it all came to somewhat of a head in the final episode. Justin Crowe's story arc seemed more like set-up than execution in this season, but I'm sure he'll be off to a galloping start once season two kicks in. Michael J. Anderson has killed it on this show for me so far. Despite his personal eccentricities, he was born for his role in this.

Can't wait to start the next season in a few weeks, so this, Oz and the Twin Peaks revival all close out on the same weekend for me in September. That's going to be one bittersweet farewell to some remarkable television..
    Let's hope years from now Carnivale becomes like Twin Peaks and it brought back :P

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So Mr. Lynch is bumming ideas off Carnivále with the new Twin Peaks season I see. Interesting. Let's say the atomic bomb testing in New Mexico has a huge impact on Carnivále's story. What's the deal, Mr. Lynch?