Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Played at academic conference: demos from before Purest Feeling / Demos & Remixes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Played at academic conference: demos from before Purest Feeling / Demos & Remixes

Over at www.ams-net.org/neworleans/abstracts.pdf, one may notice an abstract for the paper “The Purest Feeling”: Re-constructing the Creative Process and Revealing Stylistic Boundaries within Nine Inch Nails’ Pretty Hate Machine." I was fortunate enough to see this paper presented this past weekend, and Dr. Hanley played (as part of a much larger point) some previously unreleased, unbootlegged demos of "Kinda I Want To" and "That's What I Get," the latter of which was clearly originally titled "I Can Make Myself Forget." I don't want to give away too many details, but I figured that for the record, NINnies might want to know how far back the roots of these songs go.

And no, these demos will not be leaked now or ever. And no, don't go bothering good folks about them. I think that would be quite unwelcome.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    cool story bro. can you be bothered to type any lyrics that weren't featured on album just in case you happen to remember some of it?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    With that alone, it's really not much to go on. Would it be absolutely wrong to contact about SOME kind of info, even if it's not the audio?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is either BS, or these are the folks that ended up with the Martin Atkins demo tape (or another copy of it maybe? im sure tr had made more than one copy of that thing if he was using it to try to drum up label support.) Gonna need more info bro
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 11-06-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletea View Post
    And no, these demos will not be leaked now or ever. And no, don't go bothering good folks about them. I think that would be quite unwelcome.
    Because you are speaking so authoritatively on the subject, I would assume you might be able to speak to just whose interests are being protected here?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Good to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey there. Thanks for the questions. Here's what I can tell you about the specifics.

The "That's What I Get" demo, called "I Can Make Myself Forget" had a call-and-response verse, where after each line there was a backing vocal that said something to the tune of "But you're still the only one for me." Also, the chorus was, unsurprisingly, "I can make myself forget," which (I'm going on memory here) was followed by "... about you." Dr. Hanley made the reasonable argument that between these two lyrical changes, the song turned from a self-pitying supplication into a song of self-loathing, which is much more like the NIN we all know and love.

There was a sax solo, basically two notes (tonic and subtonic), with lots of echo and delay.

From what I gather, these are not the Martin Atkins tapes. The Atkins demo was of mixes that came pretty late in the process of making PHM, and these were, according to Dr. Hanley, made before the 1988 Skinny Puppy tour.

As for the source, they came from an old friend of Trent's in Cleveland, from what I understand—one who doesn't want them leaked (else they'd have been bootlegged long, long ago).

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    One wonders why, if they're not to be leaked, they were given to what was a public performance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The "Kinda I Want To" demo wasn't much different than the early version with the big acoustic guitar on the prechorus. Same chords, just no acoustic guitar. Also, there was a backbeat, I believe. In the presentation, it was juxtaposed with a Slam Bam Boo song for reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yup. From what I gather, they were reluctantly entrusted to the presenter with the caveat that only parts of them would be played, and only once. To make clear, the full songs were not played—just 40-second snippets or so.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    I wonder how a thing like this could be kept under the radar in the first place (i mean the presentation). And in New Orleans FFS! Did they keep the theme totally unannounced?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That different version of "That's What I Get" sounds like it was pretty cool. Love the idea of call and response there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Im still not convinced, id find it hard that anybody with this sort of appreceation towards NIN today in 2012, would take such an elitist approach towards "guarding" these demos.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Sadly, hoarders will always exist and -- even more sadly -- hoarders will always think they're actually doing a good thing by hoarding.

Ugh.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hopefuly someday, TR will "open the vaults".

It would be great to hear stuff like this demo tape, among other stuff like more of any version of "Sex Dwarf" and anything from "Lovegun". Possibly "Just Do It" even?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Hopefuly someday, TR will "open the vaults".
    Someday, we'll get Interscope Records' Nine Inch Nails: The Early Sessions for $25 you mean

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ Can I go ahead and pledge TWICE as much for BOTH options, plz?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Im still not convinced, id find it hard that anybody with this sort of appreceation towards NIN today in 2012, would take such an elitist approach towards "guarding" these demos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Sadly, hoarders will always exist and -- even more sadly -- hoarders will always think they're actually doing a good thing by hoarding.

Ugh.
    I couldn't agree more. Why would people keep shit like this under veils? What silly sense of entitlement do they get from it? And to see it coming from a NIN fan is even worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I said, I think the source is more of an old friend of Trent's than a modern NIN fan. Could it be that her/his ongoing friendship matters more than embarrassing Trent for some internet glory?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    As I said, I think the source is more of an old friend of Trent's than a modern NIN fan. Could it be that her/his ongoing friendship matters more than embarrassing Trent for some internet glory?
    How exactly would it be considered "embarrassing Trent", though? Plenty of his "friends" and coworkers have leaked his shit before. It seems like Trent just tends to shrug it off and move on.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Have you not seen his red robe photo? Trent no longer has anything to embarrassed about after that.

Besides, these demos can't be that much more cheesy than the ones on Purest Feeling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I want to hear this sax solo in 'I can make myself forget'. Souunds so 80s. I absolutely love Maybe Just Once, i want more synth pop NIN. It cant be worse than Slam Bamboo or Trents attempt at a British accent on the Billy Idol cover 'Two Eyes Without a face'.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    No shit! He played sax as late as "My Monkey" in '93-'94 as part of The Pitiful Pot Pie Brass Section on Portrait of an American Family and YET AGAIN in '95 live on tour with Bowie so WTF let's hear that shit! Hell, he's even continued with the call-and-response motif as recently as 2007 on Year Zero, ffs. THIS IS BULLSHIT. :(

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    he also played sax on "Driver Down" on the lost highway soundtrack. which is honestly one of my favourite things trent has ever done.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Thanks for coming back and providing actual details and information about what you heard. This is interesting stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No prob. The other thing I recall is that the "Kinda I Want To" demo peaked with the prechorus and really went to low energy on the titular refrain. It cut the momentum. And one of the songs (I think it was "I Can Make Myself Forget") had a walking bass, originally. Very funky, in a Huey Lewis sort of way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is a great thread.

But seriously, even if it was a straight up processed for mass consumption, New Wave-ed out version of Kinda I Want To, i think its highly unlikely to embaress TR. Especially when you consider that Purest Feeling leaked back in what, 1995 1996? That was during the crazed, drugged out, Mr. Self Destruct era, when the thought of him recording somethilng like PF was neigh unthinkable to the majority of the public. At least he doesnt try to deny that period happened (ala Al Jourgensen).

I do love the PF version of Kinda I want To, though. It makes me feel like im on a Carnival Cruise ship in the Bahamas. And when he sings the "but kinda i want to" part, man thats just brilliant!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post

Besides, these demos can't be that much more cheesy than the ones on Purest Feeling.
    I LOVE the purest feeling demos! I would even go as far as saying I like some of them more than the originals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    KingBacon, did you actually look at the .pdf linked up top? I doubt that the American Musicological Society makes it a habit of presenting papers based on music randomly made up by fanboys. I also suppose you didn't look at the presenter's credentials (e.g. the fact that he has a Ph.D., works at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and is Cleveland-based), but hey, doubt all you want.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    KingBacon, did you actually look at the .pdf linked up top? I doubt that the American Musicological Society makes it a habit of presenting papers based on music randomly made up by fanboys. I also suppose you didn't look at the presenter's credentials (e.g. the fact that he has a Ph.D., works at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and is Cleveland-based), but hey, doubt all you want.
    The guy's got a single post to his name - I wouldn't trouble yourself with his disbelief.