Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Skrillex!!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Skrillex!!

So I've been hooked to Skrillex for the past two months or so and for the most part I cant stand dubstep unless its his stuff. He's got a great take on this style of music and I even had the pleasure of catching his live at when he was here in Seattle. If you like dubstep in any fashion and haven't heard his stuff yet, do yourself a favor and jump over to YouTube for a little bit

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 11-27-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I don't like Skrillex that much but there are a couple songs I like. Plus, I do enjoy the remix for Syndicate:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the First Of The Year video reminds me of the videos for Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy mixed with HEALTH'S We Are Water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sonny is a huge Aphex Twin fan, so I am not surprised you find similarities there. Aphex Twin was the whole reason he left From First to Last so he could start and electronic musical career. Also, HEALTH and Aphex Twin are the shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    His production value is top notch, but his music panders to the "Bro Step" scene too much for me to really get into it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    SKRILLEX NOMINATED FOR FIVE GRAMMYS

FIRST ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN TO RECEIVE BEST NEW ARTIST NOD, AMONG TOP 6 MOST NOMINATED ARTISTS THIS YEAR

Few had a bigger 2011 than Skrillex. Replete with 2 EPs, the cover of SPIN Magazine, and over 300 performances on several sold-out world tours, Sonny Moore capstones an incredible year with five Grammy nominations, more than almost any other artist. The Atlantic/Big Beat artist has been exceptionally active throughout the last 12 months while simultaneously launching his own record label, OWSLA, as well. These are the 23 year-old's first Grammy nominations, and honors include Best New Artist (a first for an electronic musician), Best Dance Recording and Best Dance/Electronica Album for Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, Best Remixed Recording for his remix of Benny Benassi's "Cinema" and Best Music Video for "First of the Year (Equinox)" which has garnered over 20 million views on Youtube.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Congratulations, Skrillex, for figuring out that the majority of Westerners only appreciate the lower levels of a song, and simultaneously are thankful when they aren't socially pressured into dancing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Congratulations, Skrillex, for figuring out that the majority of Westerners only appreciate the lower levels of a song, and simultaneously are thankful when they aren't socially pressured into dancing.
    Let's be honest, we all just like him for the haircut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've still to find anyone who can give me a pinned down definition of what dubstep is as a genre, it seems to range from random noise to top quality electronica the ilk seen when rock musicians started turning on to electro. Anyone give me a few more pointers so I don't sound like an oblivious dick whenever someone mentions dubstep?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Skrillex's collaboration with Korn is the only thing noteworthy on the album.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think its pathetic what Electronic music has become. I can't stand this stuff.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    I think its pathetic what Electronic music has become. I can't stand this stuff.
    You're just too old man.....let go of the 80's :P

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Hahaha, this is funny because there was a bus advertisement here in Vancouver with a girl that looks like Skrllex, I forget what it was advertising. Mt girlfriend and I were waiting for the bus, and she said "That girl on the ad looks like a guy" and I said "That girl looks like skrillex!" and she had no idea who I was talking about, so I googled the image on my phone and she saw the resemblence right away and agreed. I find it hilarious there is a website devoted to girls that look like him, that is too funny.

Asside from that, I don't care for dubstep really, but skrillex is the closest to the genre I can tolerate. And even then so, that's not saying much. I actually just had a conversation with a friend a week ago who wanted me to check out the first of the year song/video, and up until coming to this thread I totally forgot, so thanks for posting the video I actually really enjoyed the song, didn't think I would but it's definatly one of his better songs. And the stuff with KoRn is pretty decent too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to be too "eh", but his music sounds like dial up connection combined with random samples from the TV playing in his house. Take it as you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    His first EP wasn't all just Dubstep. There was a lot of House and Electronica on there too. I kinda liked the stuff he was working on before he was Skrillex. Not the From First to Last Stuff, but the "Sonny" stuff in between FFTL and Skrillex. I think that was the best music he ever made.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I agree with this. Not hating, but it's just popular because it caught on with the hipster crowd...I'd rather listen to real DJ's than guys that just press effects. Guy has talent though, and I will admit, the Lucima video featuring his remix of La Roux's "In For The Kill" is pretty great. Possibly only because it contains Kate Compton, who is ridiculously beyond hot, stripping down to nothing.

OBVIOUSLY NSFW AT ALL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

are you kidding me? have you seen my music collection?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's really hard to justify a genre that uses the same fucking sounds palette all across the board. No variation and no uniqueness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I agree with this. Not hating, but it's just popular because it caught on with the hipster crowd...
    the hipster crowd? really? BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAA.

more pics from the DC show here: http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/...astrom-fur.htm

this guy is like the Ed Hardy of music.
    Last edited by konstantin; 12-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    what. the. fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fucking skrillex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    Yeah, he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. The "hipster crowd" might as well be a synonym for "people who read Pitchfork" and Pitchfork would absolutely tear apart his godawful music if it weren't for the fact that they don't even mention him on their site because he's so fucking worthless.

Reading through this mostly I'm just disappointed Aphex Twin and HEALTH have been mentioned in the same thread as this no talent hack. If this guy is really an Aphex Twin fan he'd stop making music because I can guarantee you Richard D. James and everyone else with a shred of taste would be a whole lot happier if he did.
    Last edited by Pemulis; 12-08-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The other day this guy told me that two of his most favorite artists these days were Attack Attack and Skrillex. He said "I think Skrillex has done to dubstep what Attack Attack has done to hardcore music." I actually kind of agreed with him on that point. I can see see the similarity.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I like his music, but if i went to one of his shows, I'd just get pissed off..... the two pictures posted above of the lowest kind of douche bags out there just ruin it for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't see what the fuss is. Skrillex's two EP's sit snugly in my media player next to Massive Attack, Aphex Twin (oh fucking no!), Air, and Boards of Canada. Electronic music is pretty fucking broad, enough to not go out of your own way to shit on something because you don't like it. SAW Vol II is one of my favorite records of all time but if i'm out with my friends at a club or something i'll move to some Skrillex. It doesn't fucking matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    I don't see what the fuss is. Skrillex's two EP's sit snugly in my media player next to Massive Attack, Aphex Twin (oh fucking no!), Air, and Boards of Canada. Electronic music is pretty fucking broad, enough to not go out of your own way to shit on something because you don't like it. SAW Vol II is one of my favorite records of all time but if i'm out with my friends at a club or something i'll move to some Skrillex. It doesn't fucking matter.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post

Well said.....

Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post

more pics from the DC show here: http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/...astrom-fur.htm

this guy is like the Ed Hardy of music.
    as for these pictures, isn't this what everyone looks like in DC? I can tell you this much that at the Seattle show it wasn't full of hipsters or the likes of the these trashy party kids
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-09-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by new now View Post
    I've still to find anyone who can give me a pinned down definition of what dubstep is as a genre, it seems to range from random noise to top quality electronica the ilk seen when rock musicians started turning on to electro. Anyone give me a few more pointers so I don't sound like an oblivious dick whenever someone mentions dubstep?
    http://www.primeloops.com/news/the-f...rs-of-dubstep/