Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Look, folks, I love this forum and especially all of you, but honestly... do we really need another thread on the internet about the Star Wars prequels and their relative merits? The last one came out seven years ago; they are here to stay, like it or not. Nobody is going to change anyone else's opinion of them. Not with sophistry, Jedi mind tricks, or hour-long YouTube videos. That's not really the topic at hand, anyway.

For everyone's sake, can we please, please just talk about Lucasfilm being acquired by Disney and ONLY THAT? What will it mean for the future of the franchise? Why is George Lucas, after spending a lifetime building his universe outside the conventional studio system, handing over the reins now? Is he finally satisfied that he's done all the work he could? Is this purely a cynical move to make more cash? Will Disney be more receptive to fans' desires than he was?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I'm skeptical. But maybe Disney can do some good for the series... Maybe.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I don't see the wrong in this thread. What you are implying is that we shouldn't talk about star wars when in fact there are many, many, many fans on this board. And that also means that you want this board to lose traffic when we feel like talking about star wars.

I'm not beefing, just don't understand what is wrong with us talking about a franchise that we love see get destroyed and a possible resurrection.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Talk about the future of Star Wars, by all means, but the theme of "prequels, LOL fail" / "no U" has already been exhaustively explored on this board many times and we were heading down that path right before I posted.

Disney will, I think, continue to thwart all those hopes for a full official restoration of the '77–'83 trilogy as it originally appeared in theatres. I mean, if there's a studio that has LESS respect for preserving the integrity of a theatrical presentation than Lucasfilm, it's them.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    If they can get Kyle Katarn (quite possibly my favorite SW character of all time) into the new films, I'll be a happy camper.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Talk about the future of Star Wars, by all means, but the theme of "prequels, LOL fail" / "no U" has already been exhaustively explored on this board many times and we were heading down that path right before I posted.

Disney will, I think, continue to thwart all those hopes for a full official restoration of the '77–'83 trilogy as it originally appeared in theatres. I mean, if there's a studio that has LESS respect for preserving the integrity of a theatrical presentation than Lucasfilm, it's them.
    Disney will do what's right for their shareholders. If there's a good demand (which there is) for the original trilogy. Lucas denies that its possible though. I'm calling BS though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Disney will do what's right for their shareholders. If there's a good demand (which there is) for the original trilogy. Lucas denies that its possible though. I'm calling BS though.
    I have to weigh in and agree. I'd love an ORIGINAL version of the films released. Cheap effects, botches and all.

I have HATED all the previous releases where it's been "Updated" minus the minimally remastered 1998 set.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm interested in more films, but as far as I'm concerned, the main story has been told. Looking back, here's what I think:
    5>3>4>6>2>1.

Like Return of the Jedi, Both The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones had awesome ideas mixed in with not so good ideas that range from tolerable to flat out stupid. The Original movie, The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge Of The Sith are all awesome in my book.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Guys, the tentative title of the next movie is Episode VII, so I don't know why we're even discussing the prequels, outside of a cautionary example on how to fuck up a brand.

Consider me indifferent until the director/casting are announced.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    LIES. If you are that concerned with "The Brand" then Return Of The Jedi and the animated shows should had ruined that for you

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It's kind of hard to discuss Star Wars Episode VII a movie we know nothing about yet and not reference the already established lore.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    The only episodes I've watched were the original Clone Wars series animated by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do you think they will re-make the original 3? maybe do a shadows of the empire movie? star wars is disney's bitch now.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    First: Pixar, Then: Marvel, Tomorrow: The World (A.K.A. Time Warner)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Do you think they will re-make the original 3? maybe do a shadows of the empire movie? star wars is disney's bitch now.
    George is still a creative consultant and he has a lot of ideas already conjured up that will progress the story and move it forward.

Remakes are not the intention here at least not right now i don't think.

I wonder if we'll actually see the live action series come out on the other end of this. 50 some scripts are there still sitting on the shelf to flesh out the era between Episodes 3 and 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I imagine this move is an attempt to pick up a known sci-fi brand after the failure of both Narnia and John Carter.

If we're talking about tone I would say the new Star Wars will be very similar to what they tried to do with those franchises.
    Last edited by Lutz; 10-30-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed. Everyone I've talked to has this thing in their minds where Disney and the Star Wars franchise are completely opposite sides of the spectrum so to speak. Whereas the first trilogy, ok...a bit darker, a bit heavier in depth...and obviously way better. But the last trilogy...to me they were basically right on course with a big Disney movie anyways. Hyper levels of color, cartoonish characters. Hell, Phantom Menace was this giant neon mess with that Boss Nass guy, the frog dude slobbering around all over the place. A bit far off from the subtlety of Boba Fett lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disney buys Marvel
    Disney hires Whedon to write/direct The Avengers

Disney buys Lucasfilm
    Disney hires ___________ to write/direct Star Wars VII

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Michael J Fox?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    "Buy Star Wars before it goes BACK IN THE DISNEY VAULT, FOREVER!!!"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    They did [acquire LucasArts as part of the deal]. Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm.
    Well then, that's the highlight of the story as far as I'm concerned. So long as they actually use it...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    David Lynch directs the new Star Wars film to make up for not directing Return of the Jedi when he had the chance. What? I can dream, can't I?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I can see the validity of mentioning the prequels (along with Lucas' repeated attempts to destroy the original trilogy) when we discuss an upcoming sequel that potentially may have little or nothing to do with George Lucas. Had the prequels been good movies, it would be a troubling development for the fans to see Disney taking over the franchise. Given the way things have played out though, it's an interesting development that I think most people are supportive of.

If you had told people 20 years ago that Disney was acquiring the rights to Star Wars and were producing a sequel to Return of the Jedi, people would have been outraged. It's only because of those prequels (and the "special" edition changes) that people are optimistic. That's interesting to me at least.

Besides, outside of that framing, we really have nothing to work with.

I'm not personally excited yet, but whatever. I don't know the details of the negotiation, but the most exciting thing to me about this deal is the possibility that maybe we'll eventually see a hi-def unmolested release of the original trilogy at some point.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-31-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I see no downside to this deal. Like, I can come up with not a single one.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the most exciting thing to me about this deal is the possibility that maybe we'll eventually see a hi-def unmolested release of the original trilogy at some point.
    See above "Disney Vault" post. I'll bet Lucas put a Vault clause in the contract, and pretty soon Disney mercenaries will be breaking into our houses looking for those '89 release VHS or--- did you hear that? It sounded like someone opening my back door and-------

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fox still has the rights to the original trilogy, this deal is for future movies only.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh... he'll find a way. Just remember that this is probably the exchange from 1976:
    Lucas: "If you let me do this, I want the merchandizing rights, too."
    Fox: "Mercha-WHAT?! HAH! Whatever that is, you can have 'em!"
    Lucas: *strokes slowly engorging chin* "Good... gooooooood..."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Didn't Lucas have the idea of nine movies in the first place? Maybe he found himself too old or tired to do the last trilogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd love to see Episodes VII-IX, as long as Lucas has relatively nothing to do with them. There are so many stories in books, video games, etc...that they could mine for a really good set of movies.