Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    new scrolling header image for MTPITD on the dais site, but it just takes you to the COIL artist page (which doesn't actually have it up yet). FOUR MINUTES!!!

edit: t-shirts & a tote bag just appeared!

edit: CDs up on bandcamp

edit: 2 vinyl variants up on bandcamp. still nothing on dais site.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 08-21-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Got me a purple

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    all variants are up on dais now!

managed to snag one of the white-in-clear moon variants! wish i had money for all of them but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ this one looks SO cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Got one of the white-in-clear moon ones as well. Hurrah! Phew, that felt quite tense!

Just have to wait until almost the end of the year to actually get it though...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I got a purple too. Those white in clear and eclipse variants are dope just didn’t notice until after i hit pay on bandcamp haha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Got the splatter and the transparent blue. If you're in the UK look at Norman Records and/or Bleep.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I got a purple too. Those white in clear and eclipse variants are dope just didn’t notice until after i hit pay on bandcamp haha
    Likewise. My trigger finger was TOO itchy :P

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Bandcamp loaded up first: CD... *refresh* Purple vinyl *refresh* black vinyl... so I threw the CD and purple vinyl into my cart and checked out.
    Dais Records updates, and as expected, has more variety - including the moon version. Goddamnit okay fine. Threw that in the cart and checked out.
    I refresh the page, and there's more editions, including the Eclipse edition - which, honestly, I like the look of better. But by this point, I had two limited edition vinyl editions, and the new CD. No need to get greedy.

Still debating on a shirt. I have a lot of black shirts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i can't properly express how thrilled i am dais is handling this reissue. and i did the white-in-clear, and i will probably grab a black one at some point too.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    My only quibble, and it is very minor, is that looking at cover.jpg in the Bandcamp downloads, the artwork appears to be based on a scan of the digipak rather than from a digital master, or even of the vinyl jacket. There's less dynamic range in the mist and snow, and there's a moire pattern in the details.

But that's okay because it's "...packaged in a sturdy matte jacket with embossed lettering and spot-gloss design elements..." which should look great, and the Bandcamp download is nicely remastered and 24-bit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Had to leave instructions with my brother who didn’t follow them whilst I was in a black out area... but got online and dictated my order whilst I drove, ended up with clear blue, which coincidentally Is the variant I prefer

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yes I like the blue - goes well with the cover art. I didn't actually like the design of the two most limited variants - not a fan of half-one-colour-and-half-another, or big blobs.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Do we know if the CD is limited edition?
    "edition of 3000" according to the Bandcamp page.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Damn, I didn't realize there was a BC for it until I'd already bought the vinyl. I wonder if they come with download codes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Damn, I didn't realize there was a BC for it until I'd already bought the vinyl. I wonder if they come with download codes.
    They most certainly will.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Unintentionally slept through this, so settled for the black press. Oh well~~~

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Bleep still has variants as of this posting.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks yes, including the blue one, and shipping for the UK from bleep is affordable. I’ve re ordered with them (literally half the total price compared to direct from dais) and asked my brother to cancel my dais pre order.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    DAIS have just added some pre-orders for a second pressing, landing in December. The colour choices this time are

• White & Black "Star" Vinyl 2xLP | 200 edition (2nd Pressing)
    • White & Black "Nova" Vinyl 2xLP | 400 edition (2nd Pressing)
    • White & Black "Moon Phase" Vinyl 2xLP | 600 edition (2nd Pressing)
    • Milky White Vinyl 2xLP | 800 edition (2nd Pressing)
    • Clear & Yellow Splatter Vinyl 2xLP | 1000 edition (2nd Pressing NA Stores Exclusive)
    • Clear Yellow Vinyl 2xLP | 2000 edition (2nd Pressing - ROW Stores Exclusive)

https://www.daisrecords.com/collecti...ay-in-the-dark

The "moon phase" and "milky white" ones look nice IMHO.

But I can't help but think we're being bilked here a bit

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I was surprised that this was only $29.99-$34.99 depending on the pressing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable price to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I was surprised that this was only $29.99-$34.99 depending on the pressing. That seems like a perfectly reasonable price to me.
    yeah i think they're trying to make sure everyone who wants one can get a copy, and they're putting out fun variants in phases so everyone has a chance to get something cool. no one is saying you have to buy more than one variant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I absolutely believe that everyone who wants a copy should get one, and that flippers are dicks and deserve to have the rug pulled out from under them, but I can't help but feel there's a certain point at which an excessive number of variants starts to get a bit ridiculous. Like are they making good aesthetic choices, or just trying to come up with colour combinations they haven't used yet. And at what point do 'special editions' stop being special if more and more keep popping up.

Maybe after the first 8 or whatever colour variants went, they could just keep the black version in print and continue to sell that in perpetuity. Although, if there's continued demand for the 'special editions', I can't blame Dais for continuing to issue them...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I absolutely believe that everyone who wants a copy should get one, and that flippers are dicks and deserve to have the rug pulled out from under them, but I can't help but feel there's a certain point at which an excessive number of variants starts to get a bit ridiculous. Like are they making good aesthetic choices, or just trying to come up with colour combinations they haven't used yet. And at what point do 'special editions' stop being special if more and more keep popping up.

Maybe after the first 8 or whatever colour variants went, they could just keep the black version in print and continue to sell that in perpetuity. Although, if there's continued demand for the 'special editions', I can't blame Dais for continuing to issue them...

Dais Records do this all the time. Its an absolute joke. Second pressing a few days later?? Come on. Total piss take.

Look at this for Drab Majesty's The Demonstration album:

• Blue Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Clear Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • White Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Purple Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • Multi-Color Splatter Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Light Blue Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • Pink Vinyl LP | 500 edition (sold out)
    • Glow-In-The Dark Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Blue/White Splatter Vinyl LP | 200 edition (sold out)
    • Silver Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • Black-In-Red Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Metallic Red Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • Translucent Red Vinyl LP | 500 edition (sold out)
    • Translucent Green Vinyl LP | 750 edition (sold out)
    • Black-In-Green Vinyl LP | 400 edition (sold out)
    • Clear / Green Splatter Vinyl LP | 100 edition (sold out)
    • Black-in-Yellow Vinyl LP | 200 edition
    • Yellow Splatter Vinyl LP | 400 edition
    • Clear Yellow Vinyl LP | 600 edition
    • Black Vinyl LP

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    at what point do 'special editions' stop being special if more and more keep popping up.
    I admit I'm coming at this from the angle of someone who doesn't traditionally collect piles of variants - my collection itch comes in the form of "get all the audio" and for NIN, a bit of the "get all the artwork" too. As is probably clear from my posts on the topic, I think this is a great way of dispelling the myth of scarcity around the limited edition, while still (as eversonpoe stated) giving everyone a chance to have something cool.

If you want standard vinyl, that's the least expensive option. If you want non-standard vinyl, you can get non-standard vinyl for a $3-5 premium. These are mass produced objects, not high art bullshit. They are not actually special, buying multiple copies is silly. (I bought multiple copies, it was silly) Hoarding is bad. I hope this convinces more people to hoard less.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    i can't believe someone on discogs got a copy of this for under $30 ten years ago. https://www.discogs.com/sell/history/1826033

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They're going to keep it in print. It'll be continually available for those that would like to purchase it. You could have have six defective copies that would end up being sold on the secondary market as limited editions at inflated prices by someone...look up "misspress" on ebay. People like variants, give the people variants. Buy whichever one you want, don't stress it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks for being the voice of reason folks (especially Levi’s take). “Bilked” was the wrong word. Thinking about the situation now I think I was conflating it with some other experiences I’ve had of “limited” issues. I only planned to buy one copy and that’s what I’ve done so I’m happy. Likewise I’m not concerned about which pressing I have; it might have been nice to have had the full variant list to choose from when I ordered, but by the time I noticed the second pressing I could have ordered one and cancelled my last order, but I’m not motivated enough to bother. (And the order I placed is with a uk distributor for substantially less than I could get the second pressing variants for anyway)

So... back to being positive!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://www.treblezine.com/coil-begi...Xlhc9-5Q4HdSUk

Plenty of “How to get into Coil” pieces out there, but this latest one is choice, and lots of NIN/Trent mentions..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Did anybody here at ETS pick this up? -
    https://www.discogs.com/Coil-A-Guide...lease/16102752

If so, is it worth the cash?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I didn't see the point in picking it (them) up because I still own the two standalone CDs they released for the russian market like 20 years back. I remember it being a huge deal at the time because this was long before the Backwards stuff had seen any kind of official release, so AYOR and A Cold Cell were highly sought after amongst the community..

It's great that it's widely-available for a new generation again, but it reeks of a cash grab. They could have at least made it available on vinyl the first time ever without it being a shady, overpriced package with random artwork and unrelated bonus tracks tacked on the end for no reason..
    Last edited by Prettybrokenspiral; 10-26-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Tricle's whiny bone-picking..