Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    FUCK with the black queen pre-order i totally forgot about this!!!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    FUCK with the black queen pre-order i totally forgot about this!!!
    The Bandcamp page claims that all vinyl come with a download card. I saw mention of the artcard on Cold Spring, but not the download card:

In case that's hard to read: "All orders direct from Cold Spring will receive an exclusive artcard. All vinyl comes with download card."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

you know, the delays pissed me off, but hot damn i am glad they kept making the pressing plant re-do the plates because both of these sound fucking amazing. so quiet and clean, and the color is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So, if you see a CD copy of Love's Secret Demise, don't buy it. It's a bootleg of my tape that i made freely available some years ago. They downloaded my files, applied some volume changes/attempted mastering, and are trying to sell it all over. After speaking with many folks, Boomkat, Cold Spring, Storming The Base & Rough Trade have all pulled it, and Discogs has blocked its sale in their marketplace.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Deleted double post, but so I can put up something of substance, backwards 2015 is fucking amazing and I hope the entire back catalogue eventually gets re-released on vinyl. I could go for years.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 04-29-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: double post

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    So I'm immersing myself in the world of Coil, gradually going through everything, taking my time with it all, enjoying the ride, unnecessarily buying vinyl (just got Time Machines wheee), and I idly decide to check if there's a Coil reddit and there is and...

...the mixes on Re/Uncoiled aren't old mixes at all, but new ones Danny Hyde whipped up because of interest?

Apologies if this is old news, I just completely missed the boat on this and...that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    So I'm immersing myself in the world of Coil, gradually going through everything, taking my time with it all, enjoying the ride, unnecessarily buying vinyl (just got Time Machines wheee), and I idly decide to check if there's a Coil reddit and there is and...

...the mixes on Re/Uncoiled aren't old mixes at all, but new ones Danny Hyde whipped up because of interest?

Apologies if this is old news, I just completely missed the boat on this and...that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was.
    Heh, I don't know if there's more for me to say than I said on that comment. "that seems pretty fucking sketch, as enjoyable as it was" sums it up nicely. Glad we got it, happy to have that stuff on vinyl, and I've even got a poster flat that bootleggers in Brooklyn were selling on eBay, but when Danny posted this video, I got that feeling you get when you find out someone's hasn't been honest with you about a thing. But that feeling was basically negated by "oh shit, he's hitting mute and solo on the multitracks of my favorite style of NIN remixes", and I'm still okay with how everything panned out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yes, no complaints as to the quality of the material produced, none. To Danny's great credit he did a spectacular job re-creating the atmosphere and feel of the FDTS remixes. Only what's lost is the mythical status attributed to them - doubtful any of this would have happened but for the assumption they were from the era, of course, but they're no less great for that.

Think I'll follow your lead and hold off on that Swanyard release until more learned and experienced ears than mine have discerned their legitimacy, however. Doing some research, I can see how some out there are hesitant to call some things released post-mortem authentic. This, Thighpaulsandra's new Live Five release, forthcoming issue of The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex soundtrack...hard to shake the feeling some out there are basically earning a living off the legacy of the departed, but if I'm going to hope for and support reissues as they emerge, I can't judge, obviously. It's not like I can directly support Jhonn or Sleazy anymore, much as I wish I could, and I guess it's better that people who worked and knew them can benefit if anyone.

Well, this is getting depressing. On a brighter note, it's a very fun, rewarding, and challenging exercise, going through all of these mounds and heaps of material over years and years and finding things to like, gems that really stick with me (because to be honest quite a bit does not and that's to be expected). I look forward to assembling playlists once I've really processed it all. Have to say, I'm absolutely fascinated by their approach to music. A spiritual statement in their own language at times, overtly pagan in nature at others, sometimes drug-fueled, sometimes not, sometimes conventional and other times anything but...it's always refreshing when something new clicks with you, and I think moreso when it's works such as theirs which really feel like there are no boundaries.

Anyway, I'm meandering as a result of no sleep so I'll close by saying "The Green Child" scares the shit of me, thank you, goodnight

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone know about this? had no idea until today! (there's a free shipping option...hope i didn't make a mistake taking that over the $4.50 media mail...)

150 minutes of previously unreleased Coil recordings on ‘Swanyard’ 3LP vinyl and 2CD set
    and also this! (which is cheaper at forced exposure)

Musique Pour La Danse is proud to present Coil's unreleased soundtrack for the VHS only, pre-internet, sexual education documentary entitled "The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex" released in 1992. Members for this project are John Balance, Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson and Danny Hyde.
    really hope this stuff isn't just danny hyde milking the ghosts of peter & john...but either way, i'm excited to have more COIL records in my collection.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Swanyard is the Backwards sessions pre-New Orleans and some from New Orleans released by Danny on Infinite Fog.

The second round of Threshold Archives are now available too. https://www.soleilmoon.com/shop/thre...ives-series-2/ These complete the 16 CD set from 2015. They were manufactured at the same time, however held back for various reasons.

Also coming is a vinyl release of Theme From Gay Man's Guide to Safer Sex, which has Nasa Arab 2, an alternate version of Nasa Arab that was slated for the Threshold Archives released but was accidentally missed.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    Swanyard is the Backwards sessions pre-New Orleans and some from New Orleans released by Danny on Infinite Fog.

The second round of Threshold Archives are now available too. https://www.soleilmoon.com/shop/thre...ives-series-2/ These complete the 16 CD set from 2015. They were manufactured at the same time, however held back for various reasons.

Also coming is a vinyl release of Theme From Gay Man's Guide to Safer Sex, which has Nasa Arab 2, an alternate version of Nasa Arab that was slated for the Threshold Archives released but was accidentally missed.
    would be nice if the 8 CDs actually had tracklists so we'd know what all the additional material was :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I did all that work for you last night on Discogs

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    I did all that work for you last night on Discogs

oh, you're the best! <3 <3 <3

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'd passed on the first set of TARCH discs, not realizing how quickly they'd be withdrawn, but I decided to go in on this set. Even though it doesn't seem to be as heavy on the demo/unreleased end of the spectrum, it's more in line with the era I tend to lean toward with Coil, and the price really is quite reasonable, regardless of who it goes to.

I admit I did wait until a preliminary tracklist was posted on the Coil FB page. (I have so many thoughts about how these releases were done, and those thoughts would have zero bearing on anything, so... whatever.)

Thanks for the discogs update, vav!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've been interested in this band for years. However, I find their music impenetrable. Despite that, I love their NIN remixes. Do they have any material with a similar feel?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I've been interested in this band for years. However, I find their music impenetrable. Despite that, I love their NIN remixes. Do they have any material with a similar feel?
    yes and no. but i would honestly start with "the ape of naples" & "horse rotorvator" which are two of my favorite coil albums from opposite ends of their discography that have a varied array of the styles they tend to cover.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    yes and no. but i would honestly start with "the ape of naples" & "horse rotorvator" which are two of my favorite coil albums from opposite ends of their discography that have a varied array of the styles they tend to cover.
    These are my fave Coil albums, too!
    @katara , the "Love's Secret Domain" and "Musick to Play in the Dark" albums are also great for NIN fans; they are reminiscent of their craziest remixes on Further Down the Spiral. And why not try "Backwards" as well, as it was actually recorded at Trent's studio

And if you're into drone stuff like Corona Radiata, try "Time Machines". That goddamn album actually hypnotized me once; I was listening to it while printing out a university project and I completely lost track of time.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm just gonna leave here my favorite Coil song ever

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    How similar are you looking to get, because when you listen to their track First Dark Ride, you're going to hear a lot of familiar elements! There's a Coil remix of Depeche Mode's Rush that you'd probably enjoy. Maybe one day we'll get that in high fidelity...

The first Coil album I really latched on to was Love's Secret Domain. It's Coil with some pop sensibilities. I later picked up Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil, and would fall asleep to it. (Spoiler alert: It's not exactly sleepytime music, and you may very well find it impenetrable).

Pre-LSD stuff never resonated strongly with me on the whole, but I still love tracks like The First Five Minutes After Death and Blood from the Air.

Musick to Play in the Dark is one of my all-time favorite albums. Incredible sonic setting. Vol 2 is a good conituation, but definitely plays second fiddle to the first MTIPD.

Sometimes when I'm coding or otherwise working for a long period of strong concentration, I'll put on The Remote Viewer. ALL OF IT. ON LOOP. This one may also land in the "impenetrable" pile for you though.

Ape of Naples is an interesting one. You can tell it's something that's been edited, cut, recut, and re-edited, for over a decade. Some of it is the most forward-sounding in ways I like, but a factor that's bugged me since its release is the quality of the vocals - many of which were taken from live multitracks and manipulated. John Balance was very sick as this album was being wrapped, and died a year before its release. It was the first official release of "Backwards" era stuff recorded at Nothing Studios, but it was far removed from the various demos that had been leaked since 1993.

Backwards was finally released via Coldspring records in 2015, and I feel it fits very strongly in the "Nothing Studios" collection of albums. Not that Trent had anything to do with production or performance - but it serves as this nice bridge between Love's Secret Domain and the Musick to Play in the Dark era music. I've wondered what kind of effect it would have had on Coil had it been released in the US - I think it could have been a pivotal moment for electronic music of the time. Some of the material here was released as The New Backwards in 2008, but as different mixes, or just generally very low audio quality. A couple of tracks sound like they were ripped from a camcorder that sat in a room during playback. I thought it was super disappointing, and am very glad that Backwards saw (what I think is) a proper release.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got my CDs from Soleilmoon! happy to report that the free shipping is fast & safe. sadly, they're all just cardsleeves (was hoping for digipacks for some reason, guess that was an unfounded expectation) but they seem to be manufactured fine. currently importing on to my computer and thankfully the tracklists seem to have been distributed so i don't have to manually enter them haha.

looking forward to sitting down and listening to these since it's been years since i listened to the original releases.

edit: only the first four of the set have their tracklists cataloged (on gracenote). if i have time later i'll do the rest and upload the data...but it's been a long day. -_-
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-29-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    got my CDs from Soleilmoon! happy to report that the free shipping is fast & safe. sadly, they're all just cardsleeves (was hoping for digipacks for some reason, guess that was an unfounded expectation) but they seem to be manufactured fine. currently importing on to my computer and thankfully the tracklists seem to have been distributed so i don't have to manually enter them haha.

looking forward to sitting down and listening to these since it's been years since i listened to the original releases.

edit: only the first four of the set have their tracklists cataloged (on gracenote). if i have time later i'll do the rest and upload the data...but it's been a long day. -_-
    Let me know before you do Gracenotes, i'll go over it with you as you go, there's a few minor errors here and there

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    got my CDs from Soleilmoon!
    Soleilmoon, huh? This label is still around? Nice! They had released the DVD of the short film Zoetrope by Charlie Deaux, along with a soundtrack CD by Lustmord.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    After years of being casually curious, I'm now finally starting to dip a toe into the world of Coil. So I have a question about Backwards... How does the 2015 CD release compare to the old leaked (New Orleans unmastered and New Orleans alternate) versions? Is it better? How is it different?

Also, out of The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards, which one do you guys prefer?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    After years of being casually curious, I'm now finally starting to dip a toe into the world of Coil. So I have a question about Backwards... How does the 2015 CD release compare to the old leaked (New Orleans unmastered and New Orleans alternate) versions? Is it better? How is it different?

Also, out of The Ape of Naples and The New Backwards, which one do you guys prefer?
    in order of preference:

the ape of naples
    backwards 2015
    the new backwards
    leaked demos/etc.

there are lots of little difference between all the variations and some huge differences. it's really just a "listen to everything and decide what you like best" kind of thing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

swanyard 3xLP

this is way better than i expected it to be. given the dearth of material we have access to from this era, i was pleasantly surprised by how much of this still felt fresh. it also sounds absolutely fantastic. definitely worth the price.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I missed that entirely, like most coil stuff. Do we think that material (heavens blade, ayor etc) is all finally out there now?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Coil - Live Copenhagen 2002 (2019)

01 - I Am Angie Bowie (Sine Waves) 6:59
    02 - The Last Rites of Spring 9:51
    03 - Are You Shivering? 9:25
    04 - Amethyst Deceivers 8:15
    05 - A Warning from the Sun 6:34
    06 - The Universe Is a Haunted House 9:14
    07 - Ostia (The Death of Pasolini) 10:18
    08 - I Don't Want to Be the One 6:15
    09 - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) 3:15
    10 - An Unearthly Red 13:27

Mixed in 2019 from the original multitrack recordings, this exclusive free download is available only from Thighpaulsandra.co.uk.
    “Although the set list is very similar to the Gdansk show (with the addition of An Unearthly Red) there are a few interesting aspects to the performance, the most notable being the amount of alcohol John Balance had consumed before we took to the stage. There is also a fairly major equipment failure during Bang Bang which resulted in John finishing the song acappella which, under the circumstances, was no mean feat.”– Thighpaulsandra

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

coil • the gay man's guide to safer sex + 2
    sounds fantastic, happy to have this in my collection

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

coil / zos kia / marc almond • how to destroy angels

this doesn't have nearly the same impact as just an audio document (it's also kind of impossible for this recording to sound very good). not saying i regret buying it, but i much prefer to watch it from the colour sound oblivion box set, and the two "bonus tracks" aren't really anything special. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Feat Michael York of coil, apparently. Huh? And a world snooker Champion!?

https://theutopiastrong.bandcamp.com...-utopia-strong