Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The one I heard wasn’t mono, it was just hard panned into one ear. Unless I’m mixing it up with something else. I remember time machines live starts off a little like that too until the first synth wine pans across the field

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A lot of the loops etc. are hard panned in songs like Tunnel of Goats, but the vocal will be center, that kind of thing. "Higher Beings Command" should open very much in stereo, though.

And I doubt the panning will be changed, but you never know.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’m far from an expert but I think hard panning is difficult to actually press to vinyl. I just did a cursory search to back that up, I found one quote: “ Avoid hard panning to the left or right, especially loud transients (tom drums, etc.) This usually creates phase issues, which in turn can lead to skips on the finished record. Normal panning is totally fine, but just avoid any extremes.”
    https://badracket.com/vinyl-mastering/

Whether what we’re talking about is extreme or not I dunno. We’ll see!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    From Gibby Miller, on Facebook:

Regarding Constant Shallowness - a small portion of this release was accidentally announced and sold early, and was an honest mistake on our side. We will have more information to share about this project (and more!) very soon -- Do not worry, nothing is sold out -- and we are excited to provide more news shortly. Keep your eyes out for July 5th.....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Did anyone do a comparison of the audio of MTPITD2 once it was finally out? I haven't got around to it. And I've lost my download code too :/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Did anyone do a comparison of the audio of MTPITD2 once it was finally out? I haven't got around to it. And I've lost my download code too :/
    Found it! The MP3s have this metadata

Code:
        artist          : Coil
        album           : Musick To Play In The Dark²
        comment         : Remastered by Josh Bonati
        title           : Something
        track           : 1/7
    (no embedded album art though).

So definitely remastered. Haven't compared yet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Some "constant shallowness" stuff has landed

Bandcamp digital pre-order (no physical on BC yet): https://coilofficial.bandcamp.com/al...-leads-to-evil
    Nothing on DAIS yet
    Physical pre-order on Bleep: clear or black vinyl, both with TPS signed prints (limit 100) https://bleep.com/release/315002-coi...-leads-to-evil
    Tunnel of Goats now with pre-orders on bleep https://bleep.com/release/315001-coil-tunnel-of-goats

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "[Tunnel of Goats] throbs, thrashes, and flatlines in compressed frenzies of twisted synthesis, at the threshold of some bottomless purgatory, forbidding and unknown."

Yeah, pretty much, Can't wait to listen to this once, all the way through, and then never again...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    restored & expanded by Thighpaulsandra (Spiritualized, Julian Cope) & DAIS Records
    Does this mean remastered? More music? Tunnel of Goats is about a minute longer, it seems.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Woo there we go. International pre-order links at https://found.ee/ConstantShallowness

Of the DAIS variants, I like green-in-clear. All the other retailers (Bandcamp excepting, who, I think are just fronting DAIS stock?) are only offering clear or black.

Not sure if anyone except DAIS is offering the lenticular jacket which looks really cool

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    managed to snag the most limited variant on DAIS (happened to check my email at the right time; i had no idea this was coming out)

has anyone grabbed the new selvaggina from thighpaulsandra's website?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Does this mean remastered? More music? Tunnel of Goats is about a minute longer, it seems.
    The durations are nearly identical (+1.2 seconds; given that this new mix is 1 track instead of 18, the duration difference is negligable):

"Tunnel of Goats I–XVI" is 26:29
    "Tunnel of Goats XVII" is 00:51 (no audio)
    "Tunnel of Goats XVIII" is 00:17

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I left the Coil Facebook group today. Richard Abraxis or whatever his name is, is a pretty toxic presence, whether or not you think he's perpetrating fraud, and the sole admin of the group appears to have taken the view of "yeah but this is fun" but upon reflection, I don't know why I was on there anymore. The signal to noise ratio was always pretty awful.

My favorite albums are readily available on vinyl, presented in better quality than the boys would have done when they were still around. We made Uncoiled/Recoiled happen. Life is good.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the COIL Facebook thing gets really intense and weird sometimes...

One time this guy started yelling at me on there and saying I was talking just like Genesis P O (in a bad sense) and I just sat there for a minute wondering what the fuck that was even supposed to mean, found out the guy was moderately a famous member of a musical group I sorta like, and ran to just hit "block" and not think too much about it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Not sure if this belong here as it is tangentially related... Michael J. York and Katharine Blake (of Mediaeval Baebes and Miranda Sex Garden) did a project last year called The Witching Tale (Bandcamp link). If you're into that style of music, I found it quite nice.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I left the Coil Facebook group today.
    I feel you, I've been so annoyed by that idiot as well. I was planning on making an unboxing video of a Threshold Houseboys Choir vinyl and posting it there, but, instead, I'm going to post it on this thread and on the Coil subreddit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I noticed that HHV have some Coil stuff discounted. I never sprung for WT's LSD, or Constant…; LSD 1-disc is 30% off! https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/coil-vinyl-cd-tape/p:sMIncO (that said, "Things Happen" is my fave track on LSD and it's not on the 1-disc)

Edit: to make matters more confusing, I popped over to Wax Trax site to see what the variants were for their issue, and they only have the Chaostrophy box (cool) and a 3lp version - https://www.waxtraxrecords.com/coil-...omain-3lp.html - which, I'm fairly sure, isn't the one they put out!

I left the Coil Facebook group today. Richard Abraxis or whatever his name is, is a pretty toxic presence, whether or not you think he's perpetrating fraud, and the sole admin of the group appears to have taken the view of "yeah but this is fun" but upon reflection, I don't know why I was on there anymore. The signal to noise ratio was always pretty awful.
    I blocked him after the first shitpost I saw and forgot all about it until now. That said, there's not much quality content in there at all from anyone. And I rarely check FB in any case.
    Last edited by jmtd; 08-14-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    But what about all those hilarious pictures of broccoli with lyrics from "Broccoli"?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    "Vultures deleted my post and banned me from ETS" - Richard Abraxas on Facebook, probably.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    "Vultures deleted my post and banned me from ETS" - Richard Abraxas on Facebook, probably.
    I guess we'll never know

On-topic: a question. DAIS claim they kept the lenticular covers to themselves. On their site, the lenticular options were/are: pink/green smash; green-in-clear and pink-in-clear, only the last of which is still in-stock. Has anyone seen a reseller (or private seller) offering out the lenticulars? DAIS' international shipping charges are too crushing for me. I think TPS had some of them but they're all out now there too.

Also kind of interesting (or not?) is this cover art from the DAIS site which does not match the non-lenticular cover (perhaps it's one of the pics in the lenticular one)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thighpaulsandra has uploaded another terrific (and free!) Coil live recording - https://www.thighpaulsandra.co.uk/st...oges_2002.html

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Still have my pink clamshell CD. It's one long track at nearly 50 minutes, splitting it to fit on vinyl seems like an odd choice that just caters to folks that "need to have it on vinyl".

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    ANS limited edition "Moscow Red" vinyl box is gonna be lit, yo

LP 2 side B is gonna SLAP on wax

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    for anyone interested in studio archival bits, thighps has some of sleazy's emax floppies up on VEMIA this round. price seems kind of high to me but it's neat to see either. i spent some time matching names written on the floppies to various studio notes i have from LSD stuff and the dat archive notes and don't see anything that crosses over, so who knows if there's anything "recognizable" on them. neat either way. link

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's also another live CD for sale here from Royal Festival Hall in September 2000

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Oh, God, what have I done?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yet ANOTHER version of AoN. Something about hotfoil...?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Looks like a new book is arriving next month.

Everything Keeps Dissolving - Conversations with Coil
    Edited by Nick Soulsby

$29.95
    Paperback
    600 pp., 6 x 9 in, 48 b&w illus.
    Paperback
    ISBN: 9781913689438
    Published: May 16, 2023
    Publisher: Strange Attractor Press

https://mitpress.mit.edu/97819136894...ps-dissolving/