Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    the test pressings look gorgeous, i'm pretty excited to see these get done right. Gibby/Dais are really doing it right and Josh Bonati's remastering work (and archival work on some other unrelated projects) is top notch.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Listened to LSD’s “Dark River” on loop for like three hours yesterday while working on a writing project. How fucking otherworldly and amazing is that piece, anyway..?

(Sorry, Levi.. )

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Listened to LSD’s “Dark River” on loop for like three hours yesterday while working on a writing project. How fucking otherworldly and amazing is that piece, anyway..?
    Yeah, that track is the shit. I had a similar experience back in 2008; I was scanning and printing some stuff for a university project while listening to Time Machines. That fucker made me completely lose sense of time. I had no idea if a few minutes had passed, or a bunch of hours.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    That’s pretty much my experience with their music in general; putting on practically any one of their albums is like the equivalent of stepping into a portal to another realm of the universe. The Remote Viewer, Angelic Conversation, Black Light District and Astral Disaster especially..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://infinitefog.ru/shop/new/?lang=en

It’s not the MTPITD pre-order, but it is the Sara Dale’s Sensual Massage soundtrack pre-order, which a lot of Coil fans have been waiting years for. Half of these tracks already surfaced years back on TA’s “The Sound of Musick” comp, but there’s enough bonus material on this to pique my curiosity and warrant a purchase. The question is, is it legit..?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Have we found the bottom of the barrel yet?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Does he pass judgment on the other reissues he’s not been involved with? Or was he involved in this one?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

(Sorry, Levi.. )
    That track was a nightmare to mix according to Thrower. Pass after pass after pass after pass after pass, hour after hour after hour, with all of them sweating over the board, each with 4 or 5 faders per hand just agonizing over getting the whole thing to sound right, each element to come and go seamlessly, punching in effects here and muting there in real time because back then there was no board automation. It was worth it obviously, but it more or less broke him for a bit.

https://infinitefog.ru/shop/new/?lang=en

It’s not the MTPITD pre-order, but it is the Sara Dale’s Sensual Massage soundtrack pre-order, which a lot of Coil fans have been waiting years for. Half of these tracks already surfaced years back on TA’s “The Sound of Musick” comp, but there’s enough bonus material on this to pique my curiosity and warrant a purchase. The question is, is it legit..?
    I think "legit" really needs to be defined here: Geoff and Peter are dead, and they were Coil, so the term "legit" only goes so far. "Ethical" might be a better term, and speaks to who wrote material for what's being released and whether or not they're involved with the new release in question. I don't know who wrote Sara Dale's, but it sure sounds like Peter's commercial music.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    That track was a nightmare to mix according to Thrower. Pass after pass after pass after pass after pass, hour after hour after hour, with all of them sweating over the board, each with 4 or 5 faders per hand just agonizing over getting the whole thing to sound right, each element to come and go seamlessly, punching in effects here and muting there in real time because back then there was no board automation. It was worth it obviously, but it more or less broke him for a bit.
    It's always interesting to consider what a pain in the ass it used to be to make electronic music. Sample memory limitations, prohibitive cost of hardware, no computers...

It makes me wonder if the medium has changed so much that the motivation driving it is largely supplanted by something new and completely disinterested in that discipline.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I got into a Dark River looping habit way back in the summer of '94. I had recently heard it for the first time at one of the San Francisco Warfield shows. Love's Secret Domain was looped as the pre-show music. This was the show where Trent threw the mic stand into Podboy's forehead, causing an intermission of about 45 minutes to stitch him up, while L.S.D. playing over again.
    The track always takes me back to that night, which was also my first Nine Inch Nails show.
    Previously, the only Coil I had heard was Contains a Disclaimer, which was on a friend's Pathological Compilation cassette. The only way I knew the pre-show music was Coil was by recognizing the similarity with Contains a Disclaimer.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vav View Post
    According to England’s Hidden Reverse, that whole album was a nightmare to record, mix, create, et al. It carried over into the long and meandering Backwards sessions for the next five years. Thankfully, when they started releasing music again in the late 90s, it resulted in some of their greatest work ever..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    August 21st! See all the Dais Records social media accounts.

There! The update I was looking for - I did it myself! Go me!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Don’t even want to begin to imagine what a shitshow this pre-order is going to be like. Between us diehard Coil fans competing with flipper dick vultures and an army of bots, the term “clusterfuck” would be an understatement. No way their e-commerce site is going to be able to handle this. No way..

I’ve literally set aside like $3K for two copies of this reissue, not even bullshitting. One for playing and one for bomb shelter preservation. And if I wind up having to pay some smarmy douche an arm and two legs on the secondary market for them, they very well might be receiving an anonymous box full of dogshit in addition to shitty feedback on principle. Not even bullshitting..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I’ll be stoked for the black 2xlp

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Don’t even want to begin to imagine what a shitshow this pre-order is going to be like. Between us diehard Coil fans competing with flipper dick vultures and an army of bots, the term “clusterfuck” would be an understatement. No way their e-commerce site is going to be able to handle this. No way
    A new challenger enters the arena

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Bit the bullet and purchased these Coil vinyl bootlegs off an Italian seller who offered me a blowaway deal for what they usually sell for:

https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Musick-...elease/7925290

https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Moons-M...elease/3647219

https://www.discogs.com/Coil-The-Rem...lease/12851416

All unofficial, for sure, but highly regarded as far as quality is concerned. I’ve already got original vinyl pressings of both MTPITD albums, and will be vying for the reissue of Vol. 1 this Friday. Naturally, if they’re ever to release legit copies of Moon’s Milk or The Remote Viewer, I’ll be all over those as well. For now, these will suffice, given how attached I am to these releases (TRV being an unexplainable personal favorite)..

Some seller on Amazon was also selling a brand new vinyl copy of Astral Disaster for $100, which I also jumped on. That turned out to be the ultra-rare red vinyl pressing that goes for way, way more on the secondary when it shows up. This group truly is magickal..

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I’ll be stoked for the black 2xlp
    Uh... is there at least a landing page that I can bookmark for the 21st? Or do I need to be signed up to the mailing list for that privilege?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Moons-M...elease/3647219

Naturally, if they’re ever to release legit copies of Moon’s Milk
    sorry, i know you don't like me and think i'm "arrogant" but i just wanted to know if you have the original 7"s that make up moon's milk, since those are legit. i think it'd be great if they reissued those some day in a small boxed set rather than doing a 2xLP, as it would be more in line with the intended presentation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, i know you don't like me and think i'm "arrogant" but i just wanted to know if you have the original 7"s that make up moon's milk, since those are legit. i think it'd be great if they reissued those some day in a small boxed set rather than doing a 2xLP, as it would be more in line with the intended presentation.
    Reissues in the original format would be good, but one thing I've found annoying about Coil, as someone interested in collecting vinyl but not CDs, is that many of their vinyl releases cut songs from the CD versions. So the most complete versions of the releases are the CDs.

I'd love to get those Moon's Milk 7"s, but I'd still be missing a bunch of the songs from the CDs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Reissues in the original format would be good, but one thing I've found annoying about Coil, as someone interested in collecting vinyl but not CDs, is that many of their vinyl releases cut songs from the CD versions. So the most complete versions of the releases are the CDs.

I'd love to get those Moon's Milk 7"s, but I'd still be missing a bunch of the songs from the CDs.
    yeah, like the vinyl version of "the new backwards" as compared to the CD version. it's a little frustrating.

so i propose a moon's milk box set of 7"s that replicate the original releases as well as additional 7"s that contain the previously CD-exclusive tracks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Great to know, thanks. Anyone going to guess on timeZone for release? I’m actually on their mailing list but didn’t get any mail...

Hah I’m going to be out all day with limited signal on friday. Goddamnit

Edit: any info about the release? Vinyl colours? Price? Etc
    Last edited by jmtd; 08-17-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    The Coil CD vs. vinyl thing is ridiculous. The main reason I bought the Moon’s Milk bootleg is because the 7” solstice vinyl(s) omit songs (as mentioned) and because it’s a pain in the f’n ass to flip over/interchange a bunch of 7s if I want to hear the entire experience. I have the 2-CD Moon’s Milk package and — given the expensiveness of Coil vinyl and even CDs — I’m not into playing their vinyl repeatedly, due to wear and tear with each spin. I would much rather blast the CDs at home, which require minimal interchange, if any. I can always pull the vinyl package off the shelf and gaze into it as the CD is playing..

So yea, a big selling point for me with these bootlegs was the fact that they have all the songs from their CD counterparts (minus the live version of Amethyst Deceivers at the end of Moon’s Milk Disc 1, I believe). Even if these are CD rips pressed to vinyl, they come highly regarded within the Coil community..

Do I sound obsessed with this group? Good, I most definitely am. I’ve been listening to Time Machines and Time Machines II on loop for the last nine hours (on CD)..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    given the expensiveness of Coil vinyl and even CDs — I’m not into playing their vinyl repeatedly, due to wear and tear with each spin.
    Being a right a clumsy bastard, I totally get this concern. But provided you handle them carefully, and you don't have a lousy turntable (and given how much you're willing to drop on vinyl I'm assuming you don't) then your records shouldn't be getting wear and tear with each spin. And I can certainly recommend the pleasures of actually playing highly prized records - you can't take them with you

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    This is moon musick, in the light of the moon. Tomorrow 7am Pacific, 10 Eastern, 3pm UK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    This is moon musick, in the light of the moon. Tomorrow 7am Pacific, 10 Eastern, 3pm UK
    This is midnight in Australia - do I have any chance of getting one even if I stay up late?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    You’re guess is as good as mine!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    The original LP was limited to 500 copies. I'm sure we'll see at least double that made available in the morning

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Some time machines merch has appeared for pre order

Edit: anyone taking bets that they’ll do a glow in the dark colour?
    Last edited by jmtd; 08-21-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm sure there will be enough copies in total for everyone looking for one today. The issue will be that some of the colours will likely be pretty limited. So comes down to how concerned you are about a specific colour I guess. Would be ideal to know what the options are in advance, but Dais haven't said anything about that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Here’s the bandcamp link: https://coilofficial.bandcamp.com/music