Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Classic Rock

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    In Detroit, it's WCSX:
    WCSX's most played bands are classic rock staples The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and hometown classic rockers such as Bob Seger and Ted Nugent. WCSX generally takes a softer, older-sounding approach to classic rock reminiscent of progressive and album-oriented rock radio of the 1970s, since sister station WRIF includes a good deal of harder classic rock titles in its playlist, including 1980s glam metal which WCSX generally does not play. WCSX competition includes classic rocker WDTW-FM, who returned to the format in November 2011.
    Here's the playlist for Detroit's other classic rock station, The D:

http://www.thedrocks.com/music/playl...duration=86400

At page 101 you run into the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" but it's an odd one out among the Led Zeppelin and Gun n Roses.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Zenith Classic Rock out of Ireland has no commercial interruption, very little DJ chatter and has an extensive library that also includes a lot of music that stretches beyond the rock category but is surprisingly a good fit with what they play. It's also made me forget about XM, which I loved for a long time, especially when they had dedicated prog rock and jazz-fusion stations, but replaced that with jam band and Grateful Dead channels.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So you don't miss "Ozzy's Boneyard??" :-)

Or "Deep Tracks??"

Or "Classic Vinyl??"

Or "Classic Rewind??"

Ummm .... you will pry my Sirius XM from my cold, dead hands. It's in both cars, the computers, the boat ...
    Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Those are pretty good, and when I got my Blu-ray player hooked up for wi-fi I had the free trial. I also liked some of their newer channels like the station that only plays live classic rock cuts. But I didn't think it was worth 15 bucks a month when I have a pretty good MP3 collection and my Tune-In app which means I can listen to lots of national and even international (like Zenith) stations.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, not to drift too much, but I love Sirius XM, I listen to classical, jazz, opera, electronica, all KINDS of shit, all commercial-free, and -- granted, I have a lot more available cash* -- but it's really worth it to me.

* because I'm way older
    Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Okay, back to classic rock

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Nugent has some cool songs, but I detest the man so I can't really get into his music. I have a hard time separating the art from the artist with this dickhead.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I do too quite a bit, but let's save that for another thread please.

"Stranglehold" is actually one of those songs that kind of transfixed me when I was getting into music in a deeper way. Specifically the instrumental bit in the middle, it kind of went on and on forever at the time. And I liked that. "Kashmir" was another one, and it's still my favorite Zeppelin song. It was something of a good primer for me getting into Floyd, Yes and Genesis later on.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ted Nugent wasn't this big of a douch in 1975, didn't give a shit about politics and spent all his time hunting deer and chicks, so it's easy for me to remember and separate that. When "Double Live Gonzo!" was out (1978), Ted was a rock God (especially in Detroit). 30 years later, he became a boring old crazy right-wing weirdo and moved to Texas. (He was always stupid but, come on, guitarists aren't paid to be smart.)

Long ago, Ted was in the Amboy Dukes:
    Last edited by allegro; 06-14-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking of transfixed: back in the day, this one was good for an entire joint all by yourself

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Listening to Robert Plant's Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar, great album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Listening to Robert Plant's Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar, great album.
    Good choice, i'm currently listening to "No Quarter: Page & Plant Unledded"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Doesn't get much more classic than this.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-06-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Featured as a bonus track on Joe Walsh's 2012 album Analog Man. Here is what Joe has to say about this recording: "I found this is an old box of tapes I had. It is a recording of The James Gang jamming with Little Richard in Cleveland, Ohio about 1970. Me on guitar, Jimmy Fox on drums, Dale Peters on bass and featuring Little Richard at his best. I remember we played a couple of shows in the Midwest with LR and, I think, Chuck Berry on the same bill and on a day off in Cleveland we decided to go into Cleveland Recording and mess around. We did a few songs, but this is the only one that survived. I called LR for permission to include it on Analog Man and he said "It makes me wanna go out in the yard and yell LAWDY LAWDY!" Little Richard is one of the true founding fathers of rock & roll and a huge influence and inspiration to every musician I know including me. It's an honor to know him and to be able to share this magical moment in time with all of you. God bless you LR! Thank you."
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-02-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    That man seriously created some of the most interesting, unique sounds, especially in his era.

I've been scavenging flea markets and any thrift store I see for old goodies in good condition.. picked up that live Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer record, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, Pete Townsend's first solo record, and several other great pieces for literally 10 cents each

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This largely isn't a thread for new music, but this new Santana single is definitely relevant. Their new album reunites most of the classic early 70's line-up, including singer/keyboardist Gregg Rolie and guitarist Neal Schon, who left to form what would later become Journey.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Monkees new album Good Times is awesome. It's by far their best post-breakup, reunion album, and their best since the 1960's.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/good-times!-mw0002916562

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The Monkees don't get a lot of love. They're a damn good pop band that plays a bit of rock n' roll. They, among many, should be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame right now.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love the Monkees. Mike Nesmith is one of the most underrated musicians and songwriters, ever.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Eric's best song in a long time

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The new Whitford/St. Holmes album is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid, old-school rock album. Joe Perry's last few were excellent too. I wish Aerosmith would just relax and not try too hard, trying to sound current or write shitty top 40 singles. They have it in them to write another good album, but I believe Tyler is what's holding them back, as he seems to be more interested in being a star and have a hit than writing quality music.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They have it in them to write another good album, but I believe Tyler is what's holding them back, as he seems to be more interested in being a star and have a hit than writing quality music.
    Bingo. Now he's doing country music. But it sounds like they might be packing it in after "one more tour" next year. I like a lot of Aerosmith stuff (right up until the Armageddon song, which is where they jumped the shark) but they've clearly become a corporate band. Bringing in outside writers is one thing, but once they went to the extremes of getting people who wrote songs for Celine Dion and her ilk (not to mention having their own ride at Disney, performing at the Super Bowl with Britney Spears, and cancelling shows to do corporate gigs) they lost the plot.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    That man seriously created some of the most interesting, unique sounds, especially in his era.
    And he is STILL really great live, some of the best live shows we've ever seen. He's so versatile, smooth, no-ego, just incredible.

Last edited by allegro; 07-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.