Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I know longer versions of all three came out at a certain point. Are those better?
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I actually only know the long versions which came on free TV a couple of years ago on six nights. Rapace and Nyquist are great actors and a joy to watch, but in my opinion the first movie is just so dense and complete, that the two consecutive movies just feel like an appendage in order to spend more time with the characters and create another story-arc above the already established. But I'm probabably the wrong person to judge this, as I haven't read the books, which have a quality on their own depicting white supremacy and violence against women deeply rooted in swedish society, but often neglected. Not only a Swedish problem, just to be clear.

If you can hunt those long versions down I still can recommend to watch them, but only looking at "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" they are not nearly as captivating imho.
    This breakdown not only lists differences between the theatrical and extended editions, but also lists the differences from the books:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=880139

The extended Blu-ray set features both Swedish and English language versions, as well as a one-hour documentary:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Drago...Blu-ray/28911/
    Last edited by Jon; 12-21-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: language, mister!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Watched Fincher's version again for the first time in a decade. Lots of things have happened since then. Suffered horrible TBI which I am still not recovered from and lost my most important family member in the pandemic.

So, does anyone else feel that this movie portrays Swedish people in a terrible light? Are Swedes known to be bad people? It makes them look like rapists, serial killers, adulterers, Nazis, using hackers to vet people like Blomkvist etc.

Also, I am surprised this film did not receive an NC-17 rating, and while the ending is very depressing to me, it was disrespectful and sickening that Lisbeth Salander only returned Blomkvist's original 50k investment while she made billions. She owed him about half I feel. Lisbeth could have gone up to him at the end and tried to make things work before he ran off with Claire Underwood.

IMO, though I do not know how much of the music was written and performed by Trent or if Atticus contributed more than half, but this is his best musical work along with The Fragile. It could use a Dolby Atmos release.
    Last edited by FineFinchTails; 03-24-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FineFinchTails View Post
    Watched Fincher's version again for the first time in a decade. Lots of things have happened since then. Suffered horrible TBI which I am still not recovered from and lost my most important family member in the pandemic.

So, does anyone else feel that this movie portrays Swedish people in a terrible light? Are Swedes known to be bad people? It makes them look like rapists, serial killers, adulterers, Nazis, using hackers to vet people like Blomkvist etc.

Also, I am surprised this film did not receive an NC-17 rating, and while the ending is very depressing to me, it was disrespectful and sickening that Lisbeth Salander only returned Blomkvist's original 50k investment while she made billions. She owed him about half I feel. Lisbeth could have gone up to him at the end and tried to make things work before he ran off with Claire Underwood.

IMO, though I do not know how much of the music was written and performed by Trent or if Atticus contributed more than half, but this is his best musical work along with The Fragile. It could use a Dolby Atmos release.
    Yes,this score is miles ahead of other scores and even many NIN albums because it echoes The Fragile itself. So diverse,experimental,challenging,soothing in it's cold melancholy and anxiety inducing elsewhere. Atmosphere and mood for days with ambition in craft.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't think a film about bad people makes any country look bad unless what makes them bad is being from that country. TGWTDT doesn't say "these people are bad because they're Swedish". They're bad for a variety of reasons, but their nationality isn't one of them.

Also, I am surprised this film did not receive an NC-17 rating...
    Really? Why? There's violent moments, but nothing you wouldn't see in other R-rated films. The rape scene is brutal, but it's not particularly graphic. It's more horrifying because of the performances rather than anything you actually see.

...it was disrespectful and sickening that Lisbeth Salander only returned Blomkvist's original 50k investment while she made billions. She owed him about half I feel. Lisbeth could have gone up to him at the end and tried to make things work before he ran off with Claire Underwood.
    Except she wasn't doing it for the money. She was doing it to get revenge for Blomkvist. I feel that Lisbeth is stuck between being a child and being an adult. She does what she does the way a teenager with a crush would do something in secret for the person they had a crush on. It just happens to be taking down a millionaire and stealing his money. She obviously saw their connection as more than it was. I don't feel particularly bad for Blomkvist because he's not exactly a good guy. He's not like the people he investigates, but he's somewhat absent when it comes to the people around him, and he kind of used Lisbeth too. That's the way I saw it anyway.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't think a film about bad people makes any country look bad unless what makes them bad is being from that country. TGWTDT doesn't say "these people are bad because they're Swedish". They're bad for a variety of reasons, but their nationality isn't one of them.
    Even if that's the case, it's all in the original book anyway. It's an investigation about serial killers, rapists, pedophiles and former nazis which happen to be Swedish because the author (a journalist) was too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I mean, it's not like the Noir genres are about the goodness within people....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think it’s been documented that a lot of the performance/sounds are from Trent and then assembled by Atticus.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Are Swedes known to be bad people?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Except she wasn't doing it for the money. She was doing it to get revenge for Blomkvist. I feel that Lisbeth is stuck between being a child and being an adult. She does what she does the way a teenager with a crush would do something in secret for the person they had a crush on. It just happens to be taking down a millionaire and stealing his money. She obviously saw their connection as more than it was. I don't feel particularly bad for Blomkvist because he's not exactly a good guy. He's not like the people he investigates, but he's somewhat absent when it comes to the people around him, and he kind of used Lisbeth too. That's the way I saw it anyway.
    Adding to this was the fact that an adult man in her life just destroyed her by raping, and controlling her, in exchange for her own damn money. To a lesser extent, Blomkvist used her and then just discarded her (in her eyes at least). Such a devastating ending and the perfect song for that final scene. I've not watched for a while because it was so damn intense. Might be ready for another go.