Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [We like] Death Grips

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Omg. I'm trying to download it, but I guess the server crashed or something. Ugh! I guess the free albums are a way to pacify fans for canceling all those shows?
    Is there an official download of it or just a soundcloud rip?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Death Grips

Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    Is there an official download of it or just a soundcloud rip?
    Yeah. They posted two links on their FB page: one from thirdworlds.net and the other from a mirror. Both links are a no-go.

Edit: However, even if those links are down, the album is out there.
    Last edited by Charmingly Miserable; 11-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    God.

This new record is so experimental, noisy and perfect. It's like Aphex Twin and Black Dice......but with that signature Death Grips sound. This will really test casual fan's patience but I'm totally digging what I'm hearing.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Gov Plates is crazy good. Fingers crossed for a vinyl release. Also, DG made a video for every song. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...GfCZz-C_rBiRM5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like I said in the other thread, there's nothing to "get". It's just sound. If you don't like it then you don't like it. But there's not some hidden agenda or code to be cracked.

So far, I would say this album holds up just as well as their previous stuff. I know a lot of people prefer The Money Store, but my favorite record they've made so far is still NO LOVE DEEP WEB (If only for No Love! Fuck! That is my jam!). This seems like the "Flatlander album", especially near the end. MC Ride seems to take a backseat for better or worse. Still love it. Standout tracks so far: Birds, Two Heavens, You might think he loves you for your money but I know what he really loves you for it's your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat, and Whatever I want (Fuck who's watching). The first half gets me so goddamn HYPED.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm Digging the shit out of this new album!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Listened to it a few times now, and this is probably my favourite album from them.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    New video for No Love.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    1000% i used to give a fuck

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This sounds like Death Grips first genuine attempt at making a straight up Hip Hop album. I can't wait to catch them opening up Pitchfork Fest next month. Wish that the NIN|SG|DG tour was swinging through KC. I'd love to see the reaction of all these old ass midwestern hillbillies who don't understand the sounds coming at them from Death Grips.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    so very excited for this double album. very bummed i missed out on tickets to the nin/dg dates near me. the remixes they did for bjork are simply amazing and i cant wait to hear the rest of the album. hoping it gets a physical release sooner rather than later. heres my death grips stuff:

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I think this is the most noided thing that they have done yet. I think it's gonna take a couple of listens for it to sink in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    heres my death grips stuff
    We met in line at QotSA Milwaukee talking about (you guessed it) NIN. Stop being such a badass motherfucker! I witnessed you coming back into line with Josh Homme's sig like it was no big deal, haha. Had no idea you were into DG, too. Hopefully we'll run into each other at a show again at some point!

(Oh also, I can't remember if your'e the one who mentioned that Chelsea Wolfe was doing an acoustic-ish set opening for Eels, but I saw them last week in Madison, and they were great! Very cool set.)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Yup, Bjork's lent her vocals on all 8 tracks.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Are we sure she genuinely recorded vocals specifically for these tracks? Because it sounds like they simply grabbed old Bjork tracks and just sampled and distorted her voice.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    She also mentioned that she was their "found sound". I thought that implied they were just sampling her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Billy Not Really" is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True. These are effed up sounds/vocals off of Volta.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This band is not really for me but I can see their appeal. Its kind of an ATR/Saul Williams hybrid. The main thing I want to know is why the hell would they pick them to open up for the Soundgarden/NIN 90s Nostalgia Tour? I'm not gonna rush to see them and even if I do I won't be rude but this is not a band that 90s purist will be happy to see. I can see this getting ugly even though I hope it doesn't. Soundgarden has this metal fan base that might "throw bottles of urine" at them. NIN have fans like that too who heckle when new songs or some of the quieter tracks are played. It just doesn't seem like a very good idea. They will surely make some new fans but I think the percentage will be higher of people who just don't get it and boo/heckle. I mean, this is the same planet where people booed Tomahawk when they opened up for Tool. Its not exactly like the majority of concert goers are the learned gentleman that the people of ETS. Thoughts? Opinions? Talk amongst yourself....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    When people throw bottles of urine... are they readily prepared, or is it like an improvised sort of thing. Do people show up to concerts concealing these bottles, ready to throw in the event that they don't like one of the bands they just paid to see... or are they just pissing right there in the middle of the crowd into a bottle and THEN hurling it at the band?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    When people throw bottles of urine... are they readily prepared, or is it like an improvised sort of thing. Do people show up to concerts concealing these bottles, ready to throw in the event that they don't like one of the bands they just paid to see... or are they just pissing right there in the middle of the crowd into a bottle and THEN hurling it at the band?
    I am not sure as I am more a "fecal hurler" myself and all I do for that is just poop into my latex glove and hurl away. Any bottles of urine throwers in the room care to comment?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    It's crazy awesome to think that their show at Pitchfork Festival next month will be the first stop to possibly test out the new material before hitting the road with Nine Inch Nails. I am really loving the new record and I'm eagerly waiting the next half.

A friend and I were talking about how much material they've put out in such a short time and how most bands wish they could be as consecutive as Death Grips is in both challenging and rewarding albums...when do you think they'll or IF they'll ever put a stop to the project? I would love to see this band continue to release an album, EP or something musical related every year but with so much in almost four years time...do you think The Powers That B might be their last release? A double album would be a good way to go out.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    This band is not really for me but I can see their appeal. Its kind of an ATR/Saul Williams hybrid. The main thing I want to know is why the hell would they pick them to open up for the Soundgarden/NIN 90s Nostalgia Tour? I'm not gonna rush to see them and even if I do I won't be rude but this is not a band that 90s purist will be happy to see. I can see this getting ugly even though I hope it doesn't. Soundgarden has this metal fan base that might "throw bottles of urine" at them. NIN have fans like that too who heckle when new songs or some of the quieter tracks are played. It just doesn't seem like a very good idea. They will surely make some new fans but I think the percentage will be higher of people who just don't get it and boo/heckle. I mean, this is the same planet where people booed Tomahawk when they opened up for Tool. Its not exactly like the majority of concert goers are the learned gentleman that the people of ETS. Thoughts? Opinions? Talk amongst yourself....
    If any of those old fuckin redneck Soundgarden fans or any of the old NIN fans who just CANT let go of Tool are stupid enough to hurl bottles of Piss at Death Grips, I can almost guarantee you Trent won't step foot on that stage.

And why should he? He likes a band enough to choose them for a tour, so they should get the respect that he feels they deserve. Fuck his old old ignorant ass fans that aren't open to exploratory realms of music. NIN were once viewed the same way Death Grips are now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/deathgripz/...965073/?type=1
    So apparently Death Grips are over?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    we are now at our best and so Death Grips is over. we have officially stopped. all currently scheduled live dates are canceled. our upcoming double album "the powers that b" will still be delivered worldwide later this year via Harvest/Third Worlds Records. Death Grips was and always has been a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision. above and beyond a "band". to our truest fans, please stay legend.

WTF WTF WTF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I had heard they were notorious for backing out of gigs, so I guess this is true to form.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ah shit. Got scooped but here's my link. If I took the effort to cut it imma paste it: http://www.stereogum.com/1690497/dea...break-up/news/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wasn't I just talking about this!?