Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smiths/Morrissey

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    https://morrissey-california-son-ult...timate-box-set

THIS BUNDLE IS AVAILABLE TO CUSTOMERS RESIDING IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY. UK/EUROPE STOCK WILL BECOME AVAILABLE SOON.

Bundle includes the following items:

Exclusive California Son Limited Edition Record Player
    Exclusive California Son Celebratory Pin
    California Son Album Vinyl
    Wedding Bell Blues 7'' Vinyl
    Exclusive Special Edition T-Shirt
    THIS ITEM WILL SHIP MAY 29TH, 2019

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    “I Won’t Share You” played live for the first time, with The Smiths or solo:

In full:

Also, new b-side “Brow Of My Beloved” is superb:

Last edited by Erneuert; 05-12-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/news/morrissey...pin-on-fallon/

Moz really digging the alt right these days

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    https://pitchfork.com/news/morrissey...pin-on-fallon/

Moz really digging the alt right these days
    what a piece of shit. wish i could talk matt walker out of playing drums for him.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Watched this last night. What a weak choice of songs compared to the setlists in Brooklyn. Would have been nice to have a better setlist considering it was being filmed/streamed. Ah well.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what a piece of shit. wish i could talk matt walker out of playing drums for him.
    Seriously, what the fuck. I know he's always been sort of a pompous dope but fuck man, what are you doing.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    “Lady Willpower” from California Son debuts in 8 hours:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “Lady Willpower” from California Son debuts in 8 hours:

Meh, prolly my least favorite so far. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    California Son has leaked. I haven't gotten to listen to it yet, but I'm reading positive things from people who actually bothered to listen to it and aren't just bashing it because of the dumb things he says and does outside of the music.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    "Don't Interrupt The Sorrow" is incredible.
    Last edited by imail724; 05-20-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    All of these songs were great — back in the 60s and 70s, sung by the original artists. With this over-cooked, AutoTuned, pre-fab production slathered all over Moz's aging voice as he warbles his way through them, getting the words wrong, ah... not so much.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This albums actually pretty great. It's early still, but I'm currently willing to go as far as to say it's his best since Ringleader. Moz should stick stick to cover songs from now on until he remembers how to write a decent lyric.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Moz should stick stick to cover songs from now on until he remembers how to write a decent lyric.
    Thing is, he should stop re-writing other people's lyrics in the meantime:
    "Don't Interrupt The Sorrow" is incredible.
    I'm a big Joni fan... and this one was the hardest for me to take.

So, in the original lyric, the Anima, Queen of Queens — a Jungian reference, naturally — is a spiritual avatar, a female-energy shadow spirit complementing every male-energy persona. There is an overbearing male persona that's excoriated in Joni's original song lyrics; she imagines the "Anima rising in me tonight" as a response. Morrissey has changed the lyrics, so that the anima is the one being tut-tutted for "uprising in you tonight". He's subtly changed the words in every verse, re-writing it from the boorish male perspective. As though Moz can't possibly have feminine traits in himself, or take any responsibility for toxic masculine ones. Put this in context with his boo-hoo'ing over #MeToo and it's... well, straight-up desecration.

"I say Anima rising... but: so what?" Fuck you, Moz. I say delete this album and go listen to The Hissing of Summer Lawns instead.

Last edited by botley; 05-21-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Got about 4 songs in. Does it get any better? Fuckssakes this is....... not good.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Because This Is How I Am. - Morrissey Central
    May 24, 2019

BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I AM

"in early old age could I please express very sincere thanks to BBC Radio 2 for their broad-shouldered support given to "California Son", "Wedding Bell Blues" and "It's Over". Whatever the future brings, I will always remember Radio 2's steady support during these rocky weeks - especially from Jo Whiley.

I am sorry the UK print media's contorted interpretation of who and what I am has gone all wrong. In these days when most people are afraid to even whisper, the print media write as if someone is coming to get them. This aching nervousness brings on the vengeful and paranoid. Inventing Britain's doomsday is the preoccupation of the tabloids, and they can hate you for having lived.

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope. The march backwards is over, and life has begun again. With voice extended to breaking point, I call for the prosperity of free speech; the eradication of totalitarian control; I call for diversity of opinion; I call for the total abolition of the abattoir; I call for peace, above all; I call for civil society; I call for a so-far unknowable end to brutalities; "No" to Soviet Britain; prayers not to gods but to forces; an end to disingenuous media cluelessness; the people have the power; hatred and beheadings belong in the furnace of history; music might still be your only friend; for every shade and persuasion ... we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value; no more fashionable outrage; cows are friends to humans - don't kill them; beware of those who write in headlines; moral fiber means holding on ... to your friends; give up on inferior arguments; God gave you your life to enjoy - you will cry for your life in years to come ... death always answers back; do not be a nobody; you have survived this far in order to make the remainder peaceful and funny; your very survival proves that you have a right; ignore the cold eyes of fascism; your life is Art." #morrissey

24 May 2019

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Peter Katsis:

"All this over a pin?

Everyone always wants to jump to conclusions.

Morrissey has never been affiliated with any political party in the past. Morrissey has never voted in his life, and is not a member of any political party.

Morrissey opposes racism, hatred and press censorship. Morrissey believes in free speech and free expression and opposes totalitarian regimes. Morrissey has only ever met two political figures - Ken Livingstone and Tony Blair.

Morrissey currently wears lapel pins of James Baldwin, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Aretha Franklin, Oscar Wilde.

Morrissey is quite used to smear campaigns from the UK press. It is nothing new for us.

Thanks to the fans the CS record is currently # 2 at HMV today. And thanks to Merseyrail for all the extra press today!

A great holiday weekend to all. - PK."

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Got about 4 songs in. Does it get any better? Fuckssakes this is....... not good.
    Check out Lenny’s Tune and Some Say I Got Devil.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Can I ask what's next for you, Morrissey? I know you have some tour dates coming up soon but do you have any long terms plans for another solo album or project - or haven't you thought that far ahead just yet?

We have recorded a new studio album, but when it's released depends upon how much breathing space is allowed California Son. So, anything could happen... and anything usually does happen. It's an album of 12 original songs, so is, in its way, the follow-up to Low In High School. We recorded it in France once again, and it's fantastic. I would imagine a January release, but I don't mind if it's later.
    http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/13785/Read

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    New interview with Morrissey:

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...-the-interview

sam:
    Finally, any small regrets?

M:
    Oh, I never make my regrets small … if I can help it. Oh. Umm. Robert Smith. I said some terrible things about him 35 years ago … but I didn’t mean them … I was just being very Grange Hill. It’s great when you can blame everything on Tourette’s syndrome. [laughs]

sam:
    but you’ve never met him?

M:
    Oddly, I was in a pub near Buckingham Palace perhaps ten years ago … and there he was … staring over confrontationally. I take no moral responsibility for whatever I said in 1983 … after all … who does?

Also,

sam:
    I have heard your new studio album for 2020 and, interestingly, it’s an unexpected swerve from “Low In High School” or “California Son”. Is it hard to sit still and wait for it to be released?

M:
    No, because the understanding was that I would have to.

sam:
    Why did you record in France, yet again?

M:
    The studio is terrific, there’s lots of animals, and no television. I feel completely safe in France.

sam:
    Songs like “Jim Jim Falls” and “Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know” sound very powerful, whereas “Love Is On Its Way Out” is just beautiful. Are you constantly torn between this gemini hard strike and soft stroke?

M:
    It’s a good question. You know, there’s a constant search … or desire … just to be allowed to do it … just to be allowed to record, at will, doing you’re own thing … and that search doesn’t end. Even now, at my age, I wait for someone to say “It’s OK now, just go in and record.”
    Last edited by Erneuert; 06-24-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    New single Lady Willpower coming out with another cover b-side of Rainbow Valley by The Love Affair.

Meanwhile...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    All I think of after watching that video is that nothing's changed for me. It's just an opinion...some people can disassociate, some can't...neither side has the high ground in terms of saying the other is wrong.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    All I think of after watching that video is that nothing's changed for me. It's just an opinion...some people can disassociate, some can't...neither side has the high ground in terms of saying the other is wrong.
    Are you referring to Morrissey's opinion or the opinions of the people on whether to "cancel" him or not?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Are you referring to Morrissey's opinion or the opinions of the people on whether to "cancel" him or not?
    The latter!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    If you hadn’t heard it when vinyl rips came out a month or two ago:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tonight’s set list:

How Soon Is Now? / Alma Matters / Hairdresser On Fire / I Wish You Lonely / Satan Rejected My Soul / Morning Starship / Wedding Bell Blues / Lady Willpower / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Never Again Will I Be A Twin / Spent The Day In Bed / The Bullfighter Dies / Back On The Chain Gang / Jack The Ripper / Some Say I Got Devil / Suedehead // Everyday Is Like Sunday / First Of The Gang To Die

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tonight’s set list:

How Soon Is Now? / Alma Matters / Hairdresser On Fire / I Wish You Lonely / Satan Rejected My Soul / Morning Starship / Wedding Bell Blues / Lady Willpower / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Never Again Will I Be A Twin / Spent The Day In Bed / The Bullfighter Dies / Back On The Chain Gang / Jack The Ripper / Some Say I Got Devil / Suedehead // Everyday Is Like Sunday / First Of The Gang To Die
    Saw him in NY on Saturday. His voice sounded as good as ever, and first You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side since '07! But man did the middle section of the set drag. I don't mind him playing his new stuff, but at least break it up a bit. Wedding Bell Blues > Lady Willpower > I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris > If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me > Munich Air Disaster 1958 brought the whole vibe to a halt. Brought it all back for the next three though (Seasick, Yet Still Docked > Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself > That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore). Overall a good time, and it was nice getting to be up close in GA again after the Broadway run.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Saw him in NY on Saturday. His voice sounded as good as ever, and first You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side since '07! But man did the middle section of the set drag. I don't mind him playing his new stuff, but at least break it up a bit. Wedding Bell Blues > Lady Willpower > I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris > If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me > Munich Air Disaster 1958 brought the whole vibe to a halt. Brought it all back for the next three though (Seasick, Yet Still Docked > Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself > That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore). Overall a good time, and it was nice getting to be up close in GA again after the Broadway run.
    It was a relief that he dropped “Meat Is Murder” all the time for his vegan agenda, but then just replaced it with “If You Don’t Like Me...” to address his critics.