Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Type O Negative

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Slow, Deep and Hard vinyl arrived last night. It is pretty. Love those older pics of the band. Sal looks like someone who just wandered into the photo shoot in some pictures.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Slow, Deep and Hard vinyl arrived last night. It is pretty. Love those older pics of the band. Sal looks like someone who just wandered into the photo shoot in some pictures.
    Speaking of Sal, new single and music video out today:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not really into any of those offshoot bands, but shout out to @Erneuert for keeping the memory of Type O alive!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    It’s actually a really great song, check it out if you can.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    October Rust vinyl represses out for pre-order. A standard green and black variant and an orange and black "Voodoo Edition" variant. I did the latter myself.

https://store.typeonegative.net/october-rust.html

Thanks to @Prettybrokenspiral for the heads up.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    October Rust vinyl represses out for pre-order. A standard green and black variant and an orange and black "Voodoo Edition" variant. I did the latter myself.

https://store.typeonegative.net/october-rust.html

Thanks to @Prettybrokenspiral for the heads up.
    Thank you! I snagged the orange voodoo edition myself. I wasn't going to let this one slip like I did the red variant SD&H.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that new Pale Horse track bumps.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Pete wanted to call “Day Tripper” “Gay Stripper” hahahah
    Song just came on and I was reminded of this fact while listening on the bus resulting in me inadvertently snorting loudly in public

Thank you

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    that new Pale Horse track bumps.

Sal about the new single:

“For me one of the best doom songs I have simply ever written, nothing extravagant just heavy, moody and dark. About a person with deep depression that has the ability to see the dead where ever they look, the gift tortures them but so enamored by it that they want to crossover and join that dimension. Leave behind this cruel raging world!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So, I started getting back into Type O and wanted to pick up the albums on vinyl. Looks like I slept on World Coming Down. Anybody know of anywhere it can still be found for a reasonable price?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    So, I started getting back into Type O and wanted to pick up the albums on vinyl. Looks like I slept on World Coming Down. Anybody know of anywhere it can still be found for a reasonable price?
    eBay, which is where I’ll be up having to get it. Can be grabbed for 50-60 USD depending.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    9 months ago they were going for $30 when I got mine off discogs. Those days have since passed unfortunately. Good luck snagging one!

Good time to get into TON vinyl though with a few of the recent re-releases

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Oldish article (2019) but a fun read. Interesting to note what Kenny says about the song, then remembering shortly after the release of LIKM, Peter saying something along the lines of “I wrote those lyrics while I was taking a dump” (the whole “twenty stones, fourteen yellow, six are blue, could it be worse? Quite doubtful) -

https://www.kerrang.com/features/how...-kenny-hickey/

At the time, Peter (Steele, vocals, bass) wasn’t really doing too well, health-wise. He was getting sick of addictions and sick of life, hence the title, I Don’t Wanna Be Me. He didn’t wanna be Pete anymore. I think, also, he was getting sick over being a rockstar – going on the road, doing interviews, having to write music. I think he was getting tired of what had been going on for a decade to us. That’s what the lyrics are talking about, ​‘I don’t wanna be, I don’t wanna be me’; he doesn’t wanna be Pete.

We very rarely, or never, created music around lyrics – it was always the music first. I remember we were just jamming in the rehearsal studio for hours, playing a lot of dirgey stuff, and then Peter just started playing this punk riff. We all joined in and I remember him going in, trying to write a simple song, because I remember getting frustrated with him. Just saying, Hey Peter, you’re a brilliant writer, but you can’t write simple songs, everything you write is just so damn complicated,’ but one of his efforts of writing a simple straight-forward song was a straight-forward punk influenced song, and it came out really good, actually! So, I guess he proved me wrong – he can write simple songs! Most of his songs were five or six different movements; changing tempo, changing time signatures, changing keys, changing modes, then it’s always very complex when we do music together.

More in the link above, including talking about the actor from the music video: - @elevenism

“The video was written by me, actually! You know, certain people, they want to be anyone else – any star in the world, anything else except themselves – which went along with the theme of I Don’t Wanna Be Me. It was kind of making fun of anyone who was obsessed with these Hollywood personalities, obsessed with being or glowing over any other personality except themselves, and it’s really all about self-avoidance. I was just trying to work on that joke. The very first scene in the video is actually my mother’s house in Brooklyn. I was going for this (’70s sitcom) All In The Family kind of thing, but I think the director was too young to remember the original comedy series.
    “Dan Fogler was the comedic actor that did all of the parts and played all of the characters. At the time, I remember we auditioned upwards of seven to ten different comedians for the role, because we realised that the entire video would ride on the performance of this one actor. If he was terrible, the video would tank too. So, we needed to find the right guy, and I remember auditioning about ten guys, just sitting there in the director’s office. One after the other came in and none of them were really too good. I think the director knew who we wanted, so we see this guy, Dan Fogler, we saved him for last and he just blew us away – he was hilarious. We were just like, ​‘That’s the guy, get him!’, and he was great, he added some taste and flavour to it. He didn’t need any direction, he had a style all of his own. And he ended up becoming a big star! Three years later, there was this movie, Balls Of Fury, and I look up on the screen and it’s him! So, I don’t want to sit here and say that the I Don’t Wanna Be Me video grew his career or anything, but I think at that time, he was up and coming. To us, he wasn’t known at all when we hired him because we hired him for cheap! If he had cost too much money, we wouldn’t have been able to hire him. Then two years later he became a comedian, went to Hollywood; thought it was so cool. He was great, though he got a little stand-offish when I made him dress like Marilyn Monroe, to cross-dress and stuff. I wanted him to do something a little provocative and he got a little pissed off at me. But he was great, and he went on to be a big star.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    This is interesting:

I’m shocked that it’s the Number One song on our Spotify page! I never thought it at the time. I always felt that Life Is Killing Me was not the strongest Type O Negative record, it’s probably the weakest. There’s two great songs in that album, Anesthesia and I Don’t Wanna Be Me. Obviously, the label is always gonna pick the shortest, quickest melody song for the first single, that’s why it was picked.”

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is interesting:

I’m shocked that it’s the Number One song on our Spotify page! I never thought it at the time. I always felt that Life Is Killing Me was not the strongest Type O Negative record, it’s probably the weakest. There’s two great songs in that album, Anesthesia and I Don’t Wanna Be Me. Obviously, the label is always gonna pick the shortest, quickest melody song for the first single, that’s why it was picked.”
    Jesus. Really selling that album short. I get it, each album has a sound, a vibe and a theme, except Life is killing me. But that sort of is it's vibe. It's a combo of everything they have done, was a return to faster tempos and humor. Fuck i love that album. So many great songs. I actually think i dont wanna be me is lower tier for that album.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Where does this seller seem to get this endless supply of rare TON stock from?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30354107850...AAAOSwI49elsek

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Life is Killing Me is my 2nd favorite Type O album

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have been curating my Steele playlist which consists of all Carnivore and Type O songs, as well as the few Fallout tracks, Enemy of the state (Roadrunner compilation), Just say no to love (Tony Iommi solo album) and that short piece from i think maybe a life of agony record, song called plastic. What am i missing?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I have been curating my Steele playlist which consists of all Carnivore and Type O songs, as well as the few Fallout tracks, Enemy of the state (Roadrunner compilation), Just say no to love (Tony Iommi solo album) and that short piece from i think maybe a life of agony record, song called plastic. What am i missing?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you! Missed that one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Did you do The Executioner from Fallout?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also, there's this one:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    To help clear up some of the Witchblade stuff, here is a list (also, perhaps someone really into Chris Vrenna can help with promo version info). Peter Steele plays the role of "Ian Nottingham":

Advance Promo CD-R
    Go To Sleep (Mixed, Not Mastered) = 4:20 (incorrectly listed as 4:30 on tracklist) [bass, vocals]
    Ian (New w/Pete voice-over) (Mixed, Not Mastered) = 3:57 [vocals]*
    Apocalypticraft (Mixed, Not Mastered) = 3:39 [vocals]

* Early version of what would later be known as "Assassin" (part of "The Bataglia Suite")

Final Release
    Go To Sleep = 5:22 [bass, vocals]*
    The Bataglia Suite: Pezzini La Virago/ Wallow/ Assassin = 9:28 [vocals (uncredited)]**
    Finale: Apocalypticraft/Tunnel = 4:48 [vocals]***

* The end narration, starting at about 4:18, is done by Eric Bogosian
    ** The track flows as such: Bogosian Narration > Pezzini La Virago > Wallow > Assassin > Wallow. Peter Steele only provides narrative voice-over for "Assassin"; all screaming vocals and bass sounds are performed by Buzz Osborne and Kevin Rutmanis ("Wallow")
    *** "Tunnel", starting at about 3:10, is narrated by Hope Nicholls

The only other semi-obscure thing I can think of (not already mentioned) is "Steele" from Tamirel's In Acoustic Session From The Rose Hill Studios.

Last edited by Jon; 10-21-2021 at 06:20 PM. Reason: "The Tunnel" changed to "Tunnel"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    There was a post made by Marc Piovanetti on one of the Go To Sleep videos (that I can’t find right now) about how Pete came into the studio with the woman also on the song and they had no idea what to write/record. Then Marc suggested this song he wrote on a whim, they recorded it and the rest was history. Can anyone find the comment? It’s a pretty long and interesting post.

Morever, Richard Termini keeps pumping out the early rarities (Fallout/Carnivore). There are still a few Fallout tracks only Josh has and refuses to release. The Executioner is really the only one we’re privy to apart from Rock Hard and Batteries Not Included.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Did you do The Executioner from Fallout?
    Yes, i have Executioner, Rock hard and Batteries not included. Any others i am missing?

Edit: looks like thats it, from your above comment.
    Last edited by orson thrust; 10-22-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Also, there's this one:

Would kill for a studio quality version of this.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Also, there's this one:

Man this really makes me miss this band.