Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Type O Negative

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    - Sal is very pissed off
    - Calls out Kenny
    - Says Peter wanted to kick him out of the band after SD&H but Sal saved his ass because they were friends
    - Says Peter would never have been on board with this shite: https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/...Alan%20Robert.

Actually, better just watch it for yourself. It’s a big rant. Needless to say he won’t be at any reunions.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Z2 and TYPE O NEGATIVE present "Bloody Kisses" in hardcover and as a deluxe edition including the hardcover, double picture disc version of the album on vinyl featuring each of the four members of the band and collector's card by Benante, a super-limited edition including the hardcover, double picture disc version of the album on vinyl featuring each of the four members of the band, and collector's card by Benante — limited to 666 units and finally a very limited number of the rare REPULSION (pre-TYPE O NEGATIVE) demo cassette, thought to be lost forever, and uncovered recently in a Brooklyn attic.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    - Sal is very pissed off
    - Calls out Kenny
    - Says Peter wanted to kick him out of the band after SD&H but Sal saved his ass because they were friends
    - Says Peter would never have been on board with this shite: https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/...Alan%20Robert.

Actually, better just watch it for yourself. It’s a big rant. Needless to say he won’t be at any reunions.
    So... I both agree and GREATLY disagree with him.

I do agree that his contribution to SD&H, Origin and BK should not be erased. No matter how you feel about the guy, he played on those albums. I've always preferred Johnny myself, but, from what I understand, Sal worked with Josh to create the sound library for the drums used for the drum programming on OR, WCD and LIKM. I know Pete always wanted the sound of the drums to remain consistent, which is why they did that. It's very similar to the tone chasing a lot of musicians do. Johnny and Josh for sure used that drum library to program drums on the later albums, but the playing is undeniably Johnny. Sal can say that, without him, the drums wouldn't sound the way they did, and that's true, to an extent. You helped create that template, but so did Josh.

Sal, undeniably, had a hand in creating the music up to, and including, BK, so if you're going to do some 30th anniversary thing for BK, Sal's name and face should definitely be there. The pic discs and collectors cards and shit shouldn't have Johnny on them. I get that Pete, Josh, Kenny and Johnny are THE line-up of Type O, but this is BK, and if we're celebrating the 30th, it should be Sal's ugly mug drawn in that shitty style (i.e. not to my tastes) instead of Johnny. To be fair, I completely agree that Pete would never have gone for this 30th anniversary graphic novel shit, because it, honestly, looks like a bunch of smoke shop tack. Pete was REALLY fucking pedantic about the art direction of Type O, and I find it hard to believe this would have passed muster with him. Some of the art looks like he would have okayed it for a t-shirt or something, but he was pretty serious about respecting the albums themselves. On one hand, I personally think it's all very tacky, and it's much classier to just re-release the albums similar to what they've been doing as of late, with no changes to the artwork or music, but with different vinyl colours. On the other hand, Kenny seems like the only one that gives a shit at the moment, and, more than likely, simply because it's an easy paycheck, and none of his other bands have really been topping the charts. I do believe he has every right to continue making money off of the work he put into Type O, but, like I said, I think out of respect for Pete, it could be handled in a classier fashion.

Alright. Now that I've addressed the shit that I DO agree with, lets touch on the last half or so of the video where he just starts sounding like an unhinged loon. There's a point in the video where he just loses me when he starts using buzzwords like conspiracy, saying people are "out to get me" and blaming everyone for everything and holding himself up as the only "sane" person amongst all the people he's dealt with.

1) Pretty sure Sal wasn't the impetus for the creation of Type O. The music for SD&H is pretty well documented as being what Peter was working on for the third Carnivore album before Carnivore went kaput. Sal has gone on record as saying that after Carnivore split, he always looked up to Pete and suggested they jam together, and he even said jamming was all it was. He didn't walk up to Pete and say, "We're gonna start a band." He said, "Let's jam" and after the introduction of Kenny via Sal, Pete bringing Josh in and the tightening up of the unused Carnivore stuff, a band materialized.

2) I'm gonna guess the whole "Pete wanted to kick Kenny out of the band" thing is just Sal exaggerating. Sal introduced Kenny to Pete, and, I think, as is usually the case, there was probably a "So, how do you feel about the new guy?" type of talk after some jamming. I seriously doubt Pete actually was on the verge of kicking him out. Especially if it took place AFTER SD&H, like Sal says. You gonna record a whole demo, sign a contract and release an album (granted, the album was just the demo repackaged) before you realize the guy "couldn't play", as Sal put it? While it's true that Pete did play some of the guitar parts, it was less because Kenny couldn't play something, but, again, because Pete was pedantic, and wanted it played EXACTLY how he wanted it to the point of just playing it himself. Hell, I've done that before, myself. Also, according to Sal, Pete wrote pretty much ALL of the music, and he had to basically beg Pete to let him write his own drum parts.

3) Regarding the whole, conspiratorial "I got replaced by Johnny, because he was Kenny's buddy" shit... You got replaced because you fucking left. It's true, Pete didn't like touring, and didn't want to tour much to support BK. And Sal has said, on multiple occasions, that he left because he was pissed because he didn't think Pete was really serious about the band. He even said so in this video. Funnily enough, in a pretty disparaging way towards Pete, after only a few minutes earlier talking about how this graphic novel is disrespectful to Pete. He was well within his rights, and, to an extent, justified in getting upset with Pete and leaving, but this is one of those cases of "If only I had..." that we all have in life. He thought it would be more beneficial to him to leave and join Life of Agony. Oddly, he also talks shit about them as well. I'm not very familiar with Life of Agony, but, according to Sal, they "couldn't play in key" and he maintains that he was the glue that held them together. If you listen to Life of Agony, let me know if that's the case. I'm gonna guess it's probably not.

In regards to the whole, "I heard a drunken Johnny say..." shit, signs point to doubt. Even if we assume he did hear Johnny say that, that doesn't mean there was some conspiratorial coup to replace him with Johnny. You left the fucking band, and the dude that really wanted to be in the band replaced you.

The fact Sal continued working with both Kenny and Johnny over the years makes me believe that this whole rant, aside from narcissism and victim mentality, is fueled by the fact that the guy that put this graphic novel shit together isn't a fan of Sal, for legitimate reasons or not, and now he's pissed at Kenny for "working" with the guy and signing off on his fan art collection that doesn't include him. The guy probably put together the book, called Kenny and said, "Hey, Kenny. I put together this thing for the Bloody Kisses 30th. I called Josh, and he told me to fuck off. Then I called Johnny, and he said, 'I don't know, man. Ask Kenny.' So, can I get your endorsement?" And Kenny probably said, "Sure. Oh, and I have a box of old Repulsion demo cassettes in the attic. I know that has nothing to do with Bloody Kisses, but do you think we could get some money for them?"

In summation, at one point in my life, I thought Sal was an asshole. Then I relented, and saw him as a dude who, unfortunately, made the regretful decision to throw in the towel about six months too early. But, now I realize I was right to begin with.

Oh, and I actually saw that BK 30th shit a day or so before you posted it, Erneuert. I was gonna post it here, but then I thought, "Nah. Those nine Repulsion cassettes will be sold out before I even finish posting, and no one wants any of that other trash."

EDIT: Holy shit. I wondered why the video just abruptly stopped. That's only half of the rant. The full thing was 36 minutes long.
    Last edited by Tyson; 11-17-2023 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Holy shit.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    lol, I agree with everything you said. At the same time, I love everything Sal has done with A Pale Horse Named Death. Can’t wait to hear the fifth album he’s currently working on. Also can’t wait to hear the original Repulsion demo.

I always thought they were just kidding during the After Dark commentary saying no one liked Sal. But then Sal said Pete helped him and inspired him for the first APHND record. And, as you said, Johnny toured with him for years with APHND. It sounds like an angry marriage.

I really hate all this graphic novel shit, though. And to me any merch released after Peter’s death, i.e. not designed or approved by him, is not “canon”. As Sal said, Pete was really obsessive and into mathematics and symmetry. Kenny is very lax with all that shit. But I love Kenny, his vocals and his sense of humour.

Bottom line in my eyes is, Sal, shut up, everyone is ageing. Don’t burn bridges, especially with these guys you grew up with. I get being pissed off at the guy for not crediting him on an album he played on, and Johnny definitely should not be credited for anything post October Rust (apart from touring).

drama llama.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @elevenism

Read the top comment on this video.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Erneuert the Daryl show is fucking kickass. (Edit:fuck me,can't we just call you Ryan again, or hambone or some shit? I misspell it like 9/10 times.

Also, you are the first to be my last: pyretta bblaze.

What other unintentionally queer thing can I think of? Gimme a second.

Oh, yeah. UNHOLY WATER. SANGUINE ADDICTION.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-25-2023 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @some weird shit in latin...or, French, or Mr. @ernrneuert , goddamn. That's hardcore.

Man I always figured he overdosed, BUT, I've had a COUPLE of friends who got 100% sober, and then just stood up and had heart attacks and such. Idk. It was like they completed a thing, I guess?

God Bless Mr. Peter

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @elevenism the part that interested me the most is the video footage of Pete he said he recorded.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Does this exist as a boot anywhere? Burnt Flowers Fallen live?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/type-...-63d31a83.html

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Johnny says he has demos for OR, WCM and… LIKM, I think? And they suspect Josh has a lot of stuff. Apparently Josh threw away the masters for their cover of Black Sabbath?

definitely worth a watch:
    Last edited by Erneuert; 12-11-2023 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Why did Josh go and copy Slitzy’s hair?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    1994 digipak/resequenced version of Bloody Kisses getting the vinyl treatment:

https://imusic.co/music/008122782709...ded-in-dusk-lp

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    https://bravewords.com/news/former-t...of-the-locusts

Sal starting a new project, King Of The Locusts.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Man, I forgot all about this interview:

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Skip to 14:30. Very interesting about the origins of TON from Sal. Very detailed. Also posted in the APHND thread.

“Der Undermensch” was originally titled “White Crap” when it was a Carnivore song, lol.

Last edited by Erneuert; 04-02-2024 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Just realised the full, high-quality version of this was uploaded a few years ago.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Always enjoy re-watching this interview, and to imagine he stayed like this and went on to record more albums.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    As a fan since 2001, feel like kind of a dope that I only just now realised “Zoanthropic Paranoia” originated from the end of Cry Wolf (unreleased song done live by Carnivore).

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    The second one obviously ended up being “How Could She?”. I wonder what “I Need Love” was?

https://blabbermouth.net/news/type-o-negative-final-song-titles-announced

In addition, two demo songs — "I Need Love"and "Why Won't You Love Me" — will be included, but are yet to be given "official" titles. A 13th, as-yet-untitled cut will also be added to the final sequence.
    As was the case with the group's previous efforts, "The Dream Is Dead" was recorded at Brooklyn, New York's Systems 2 studios and was produced by keyboardist Josh Silver.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Is that Suspended In Dusk as the intro? A shame most of the band hated this song apart from Peter. I’ve always wanted to know more about the Out of the Ashes mix from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack in 1995 but can never find any interviews talking about it. @wizfan @henryeatscereal @Wolfkiller - have you guys read any articles about the remix/re-recording?

Also, Pyretta Blaze (2:40) was done so weirdly live. Plus no guitar solo.