Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Type O Negative

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I've been on a big Type O kick myself lately... it might been a fall / Halloween seasonal thing. I saw them maybe 4-5 times in concert, made me sad to think that these songs will probably never be played live again. Two of the guys were in a new band, no? Never got around to checking that out... any news lately on them?
    The original drummer, Sal Abruscato, formed A Pale Horse Named Death, and they just released their second album Lay My Soul To Waste which is AMAZING. Kenny formed Seventh Void but hasn't done much more with that apart from release one record called Heaven Is Gone.

APHND is currently on tour with Danzig. Essential listening. Ironic how the original TON drummer is now on vocals, and Johnny Kelly plays drums for APHND.

APHND are probably in my top 5 favorite bands now. I like to look at this project as a continuation of TON and Peter's spirit lives on in it. Listen to these songs:

Shallow Grave live:

Last edited by Ryan; 11-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    ^ didn't knew about "A pale Horse called Death", good stuff!

On Topic: I'm "rating" the Type O, albums just for the kicks, i love them all obviously i'm just arranging them from my favorite to my least favorite...

1. Bloody Kisses
    2. Life is Killing Me
    3. October Rust
    4. World Coming Down
    6. Slow, Deep, Hard
    7. Origin of the feces
    8. Dead Again

...still, they never recorded a bad album!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-29-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Here's how I would rate them.

1. October Rust
    2. Bloody Kisses
    3. World Coming Down
    4. Origin of the Feces
    5. Dead Again
    6. Life Is Killing Me
    7. Slow, Deep and Hard (I felt these songs are presented WAY better on OOTF)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Pretty awesome:

A Guide to TON's Borrowed and Derivative Riffs

http://forum.typeonegative.net/viewt...hp?f=3&t=41644

So, I created a thread devoted to cataloging the riffs Type O borrowed over the years, but it was eaten by the board. I'm trying to put that list back together, but this time in a Google Doc spreadsheet for posterity.

So help me out and fill in the missing pieces. I know there were more examples on the old list.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.bravewords.com/news/220801

Metal Blade To Release TYPE O NEGATIVE, KARMA TO BURN Vinyl For Record Store Day

Rarities

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 21:59:08 EST

In celebration of Record Store Day 2014 on April 19th, Metal Blade Records will be releasing two exclusive vinyl pressings.

TYPE O NEGATIVE's Slow Deep And Hard, and KARMA TO BURN's self-titled album will be released as double 180 gram vinyl in gatefold sleeves. The vinyl will be available at participating Record Store Day locations. To find a retailer near you, click here.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I got into TON very late in the game (like about 3 years ago). I love how they were very tongue in cheek. RIP Peter.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    My very first concert was Type O Negative in 1997 during the October Rust Tour. I was 15 years old and Peter kept talking about how good his alcoholic gatorade was......

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is stupid necroposting but listening to the band earlier (Bloody Kisses) made me realize something. With all the musician deaths and premature talent endings in the music industry, Peter Steele's passing is the ONLY one that actually pisses me off and makes me upset to a degree. I know I don't personally know the man or his family or band mates but fuck, it's such a horrible loss. Seriously. Even 4 years later. Damn.

For laughs, as I always find this hilarious to watch:

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I saw Type O on October Rust too, in dallas.
    I met peter that night, and he humbly thanked me for spending my money to come to the show, said he knew i worked hard for it and it meant a lot to him that i would buy a ticket. The only part of that night that i didn't like was someone on type o's crew trying to get my girl and her best friend (who was secretly kinda my girl too) backstage, along with a third girl who was with me. They said that the band wanted to hang out with us, but oh, geez, they only had three backstage passes so how about the girls come back first and then...luckily one of the girls knew what time it was, lolz.

I was sixteen, and needless to say, peter's words meant a WHOLE lot to me.
    He was always humble and self effacing (like calling their best of the "least worst of.")
    It really broke my heart when he died. He was such a hopeless romantic and i related to that a lot.

October is definitely type o season. I have a tradition of blasting Creepy Green Light on October 1st.
    I think my favorite album of theirs is WCD.

edit:don't feel stupid about your post, @Space Suicide . i know how you feel and i think a lot of the rest of us do too. Peter really seemed to share his essence with us through his lyrics and he made music for the broken hearted. i think that's why he is so sorely missed.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-29-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I saw Type O Negative pretty much every time they came to London, he did seem quite ill last time, which would have been 2000 and something, 2007? He was sat down most of the show. We saw him in 1999 at the Astoria the day after seeing NIN on the Fragility tour. They were playing the same night (as NIN were doing two nights) and Pete Steele thanked everyone for not going to see NIN!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I miss and think about Type O all the time, one of my top 5 bands for sure.

I saw them twice back in the Bloody Kisses days and met them another night when they were supposed to play, but Pantera cancelled the show because the venue wouldn't take the seats off the floor.

I've got that vinyl box set that came out years ago, still sealed. It goes for crazy money on eBay even opened.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Type O was always on my list of bands that I needed to see live, but for some odd reason would very rarely, if at all, come to Canada. There may have been the odd show in the 90's in Toronto, but he never did a full fledged Canadian tour. I wonder why that was...

Because of this thread popping up, I listened/watched like an hours worth of Type O music videos last night for the first time in years. Classic stuff!

He's also sooooo young in that Jerry Springer clip, wow. Don't blame the girls for throwing themselves at him back then, he was a good looking guy.
    His comments are so funny though. "I don't care about the women, i'm just trying to pay my phone bill" haha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    October Rust is a gorgeous album. A real gloomy goth classic, that crushing guitar sound is orgasmic....Its weird how this group never became million sellers in the alt-rock boom in the 90s, with NIN Nirvana or even Alice in Chains or Soundgarden etc.
    They had some real hits on their albums a great image but they never cracked the top 50.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I find listening to Type O these days semi-eerie, with the "obsession" with death and references to heart attacks. That being said, Type O Negative is one of maybe 10 groups or so that I discovered in high school and still listen to on a constant basis.

October Rust is an absolute masterpiece. Wolf Moon, Haunted (the Per version is awesome), Love You To Death, Bacchus; shit, the entire album, even the "throw-away" skits.

And who can forget 'Bloody Kisses'? I always wondered why Suspended In Dusk never made the final cut. Can't Lose You as a closing track makes me want to tear up every time.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Never saw Type O, live and that pisses me off a lot...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-17-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Type O is the only band that dethrones NIN for me personally. It breaks my heart knowing I'll never see them live ever again and we'll never hear any more new music. They never put out a bad album. I don't think I can even think of any songs that I ever find myself skipping really, unless I'm in a certain mood. I can't say that for anyone else I've listened to over the years.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Has anyone here read this and is it any good? I remember the remaining band members didn't want to contribute to it for whatever reason. Just ordered a copy -

http://www.petersteelebio.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Has anyone here read this and is it any good? I remember the remaining band members didn't want to contribute to it for whatever reason. Just ordered a copy -

http://www.petersteelebio.com

I did. I ordered the book months ago and devoured the e-book in a matter of days. When the physical book showed up a month or so later, I read it again. It was a fascinating read that was meticulously researched and thought out. Personally, I loved it. Type O has always been one of my favorite bands, so it was nice to have a book about them.

Now, if I could only track down that vinyl boxset.....

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    I did. I ordered the book months ago and devoured the e-book in a matter of days. When the physical book showed up a month or so later, I read it again. It was a fascinating read that was meticulously researched and thought out. Personally, I loved it. Type O has always been one of my favorite bands, so it was nice to have a book about them.

Now, if I could only track down that vinyl boxset.....
    Awesome! I wish the band members contributed. Did Sal contribute?

I has a sealed copy of the vinyl box set. ;-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Awesome! I wish the band members contributed. Did Sal contribute?

I has a sealed copy of the vinyl box set. ;-)
    There was a little blurb from Sal, and there was quite a bit from the Carnivore guys too. I had a pretty wide understanding of the Type O world prior to the book, but I learned a lot more after reading Soul on Fire. Especially about the Dead Again era and towards the end of Peter's life (which I will warn you, does get kind of emotional).

I became a Type O fan right before October Rust came out and was lucky enough to see them on the World Coming Down tour. I always intended to see them again, but kept putting it off until it was too late. At least I saw them once.

I don't suppose that box set would be up for sale/trade negotiations??? It's a longshot but worth asking...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    There was a little blurb from Sal, and there was quite a bit from the Carnivore guys too. I had a pretty wide understanding of the Type O world prior to the book, but I learned a lot more after reading Soul on Fire. Especially about the Dead Again era and towards the end of Peter's life (which I will warn you, does get kind of emotional).

I became a Type O fan right before October Rust came out and was lucky enough to see them on the World Coming Down tour. I always intended to see them again, but kept putting it off until it was too late. At least I saw them once.

I don't suppose that box set would be up for sale/trade negotiations??? It's a longshot but worth asking...
    Nah, don't want to part with it really.

I can imagine the DA era would be pretty emotional to read about. I downloaded the eBook version but I'm old fashioned and prefer actual books, so will wait for the physical product to arrive before I dig in.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Random question:

As we all know, the original version of Summer Breeze that TON covered by Seals & Crofts was called Summer Girl with different, more obscene lyrics and transitioned right into Set Me On Fire, making it one, long 8+ minute track that was available on a promo CD. Seals & Crofts didn't like it, and made them re-record it with the original lyrics, and then Set Me On Fire comes after it on the album as a seperate track.

I remember reading a long time ago that the digipak, re-released version of Bloody Kisses has a lyric booklet that contains the lyrics for the originally intended version of Summer Girl. Is this true? And if so does anyone have a scan they can provide? @Wolfkiller ?
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-16-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    hey have you guys seen Nosferatu-The First Vampire?

It's Nosferatu but with type o for the soundtrack.

i saw it years ago and wanted to see it again so i dug it up on you tube and watched it.

it's pretty fucking cool

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yup. The original lyrics are in the digi version.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yup. The original lyrics are in the digi version.

Image isn't loading...

So the lyrics for Summer Girl are printed in the digipak, but Summer Breeze is on the CD itself. Weird how they did it like that.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'm out of town at the moment so I can't take a picture of my copy, sorry. I never understood why they needed permission to use the alt lyrics. They should have just pulled a Weird Al and called it a parody.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    @Ryan

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Didn't Pete also used to sing "Summer Breeze" as a reference to pills? "Some of these... make me feel fine..." etc... i thought that was the version you guys were talking about...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Didn't Pete also used to sing "Summer Breeze" as a reference to pills? "Some of these... make me feel fine..." etc... i thought that was the version you guys were talking about...
    Never heard of that before!