Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Type O Negative

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Fuck yeah! TF and WCD were released on the same day, right? And on Stephen King’s birthday.

I actually think I'd have gotten into Type O waaay sooner had it not been for TF coming out. At that point I knew them from the Mortal Kombat and Private parts soundtracks, but 1996-roughly 2001 was straight up NIN, Manson, KMFDM and Pumpkins on constant rotation for me.

A friend of mine gave me a burned World Coming Down CD-R shortly after release because he was apeshit over them, but it wasn't until maybe 2004 or so I started giving it serious listens, and not until maybe 2007 when I made the whole plunge into the discography. Like SP, I appreciate them way more now than I did during the heyday, sadly.

Just scored myself a copy of Symphony For The Devil off Ebay after meaning to for years.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Also it pays to scroll through the Facebook Type O page: TON account sez:

"oct rust vinyl is one of 3 releases in 2021"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Just scored myself a copy of Symphony For The Devil off Ebay after meaning to for years.
    The commentary track on that is worth the price of admission all by itself. The Santana Medley is awesome, too.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This had me crying, and I'm sure Pete would have had a laugh as well, if he wasn't fucking dead.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    This slipped under the radar a bit, official video for So True by Silvertomb:

Frontman/guitarist Kenny Hickey commented: “This song was written in desperation and from the gut at a time when I was at one of the lowest points in my alcohol abuse. It's a basic purging of every trauma, insecurity, and anxiety that led up to that point in my life.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Hello friends, I need some advice. I remember listening to Bloody Kisses and October Rust way back in the day when they came out but I never kept up with the band. Streamed them both last night and absolutely loved them.

I'm looking to purchase the discography and want to get the most bang for my buck. I see there's a Roadrunner collection on iTunes that has everything but Dead Again, which doesn't appear to be on iTunes at all. Should I just buy that and then find Dead Again elsewhere? It looks like the Roadrunner thing doesn't have any remastered versions or bonus tracks. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction so I can inject as much of this band as possible directly into my veins.

Edit: Dug into it some more and answered my own question I guess, not gonna do the Roadrunner collection. Just gotta find Dead Again somewhere.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 04-02-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Edit: Dug into it some more and answered my own question I guess, not gonna do the Roadrunner collection. Just gotta find Dead Again somewhere.
    DA will likely be re-released this year sometime. They're working on a reissue. No need to go digging.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    How did I miss these?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    For TON fans not following the side projects, the latest APHND single from Sal is out (check the A Pale Horse Named Death thread for more details). It’s amazing:

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    So uh, I’ve just discovered something in the most unlikely and unusual way.

Skip to the 00:14 second mark. That used to scare the shit out of me as a teenager:

I’m then randomly watching this clip. Skip to the 00:25 mark:

Someone in the comments then linked it to this:

So, after all these years wondering what the hell that was in that song made by 4 guys from Brooklyn, it ends up being chanting from Aboriginals from my own country.

How. Fucking. Ironic. Can. You. Get.
    @elevenism @seasonsinthesky @Wolfkiller @henryeatscereal

Can anyone make out the words being said under all those layers a bit later on?

edit: some insight from someone on another video for 3.0.I.F.:

I always interpreted this one like a person going out motorcycle riding ( 00:00 ) and then an accident is bound to happen. But then the person's sixth sense (or whatever) kicks in and he/she is - kinda - warned that he/she shouldn't go on ( 00:13 ). But the person is like "fuck that shit" and just hits the gas ( 01:20 ). So, that thing where the person sees his/her life flashing before his/her eyes happen ( 01:23 ). Finally, we get back to the person ( 01:50 ) and the accident happens. I've had this interpretation since I was a teenager and this thing always freaked me out to the point of keeping me up at night.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 06-08-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Incidentally this is crazy good.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    edit: some insight from someone on another video for 3.0.I.F.:

I always interpreted this one like a person going out motorcycle riding ( 00:00 ) and then an accident is bound to happen. But then the person's sixth sense (or whatever) kicks in and he/she is - kinda - warned that he/she shouldn't go on ( 00:13 ). But the person is like "fuck that shit" and just hits the gas ( 01:20 ). So, that thing where the person sees his/her life flashing before his/her eyes happen ( 01:23 ). Finally, we get back to the person ( 01:50 ) and the accident happens. I've had this interpretation since I was a teenager and this thing always freaked me out to the point of keeping me up at night.
    Isn't the song supposed to reference the whole "Paul from the Beatles is Dead" story? at least the title.
    But supposedly the real McCartney "died" in a car accident, so i guess the Motorcycle is a reference to Pete "dying" in a fake crash.

Just the way i always interpreted that song/skit

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Isn't the song supposed to reference the whole "Paul from the Beatles is Dead" story? at least the title.
    But supposedly the real McCartney "died" in a car accident, so i guess the Motorcycle is a reference to Pete "dying" in a fake crash.

Just the way i always interpreted that song/skit
    Yeah, you’re absolutely right. You can also hear Peter say “I am Jesus Christ” at one point. But I’m referring to the people speaking almost in whispers right after the aboriginal chanting. Does anyone have an ear to transcribe anything that’s being said? It sounds like both male and female voices/whispers. Then eventually you hear “negative, negative, negative” being repeated, perhaps by paramedics? Josh really must have been on some drugs when he made this soundscape.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Yeah, you’re absolutely right. You can also hear Peter say “I am Jesus Christ” at one point. But I’m referring to the people speaking almost in whispers right after the aboriginal chanting. Does anyone have an ear to transcribe anything that’s being said? It sounds like both male and female voices/whispers. Then eventually you hear “negative, negative, negative” being repeated, perhaps by paramedics? Josh really must have been on some drugs when he made this soundscape.
    Most of the sounds and voices also remind me to "Revolution No.9" at least the way they stack over each other, i guess it makes sense, since Pete was a HUGE Beatles fan.
    As for the whispers, i gotta listen to it again, but i'll wait till it's daytime, the track scares the shit out of me, lol

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Most of the sounds and voices also remind me to "Revolution No.9" at least the way they stack over each other, i guess it makes sense, since Pete was a HUGE Beatles fan.
    As for the whispers, i gotta listen to it again, but i'll wait till it's daytime, the track scares the shit out of me, lol
    HAHAHA

It’s made me feel uneasy since I was a 13. Kind of the same way “Cesaro Summability” by Tool makes me uncomfortable, but this one is the worse of the two.

It makes me wish those soundscapes that Josh made and had on his MySpace page got saved/archived somewhere. Remember that one he had up (not used on any album) related to 9/11? It starts off with Muslim chanting, then the whole panic and plane crash thing. That one was truly disturbing as well.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

It makes me wish those soundscapes that Josh made and had on his MySpace page got saved/archived somewhere. Remember that one he had up (not used on any album) related to 9/11? It starts off with Muslim chanting, then the whole panic and plane crash thing. That one was truly disturbing as well.
    wow, that sounds sick/cool!

"3.0.I.F." mostly trips me up badly, if i'm in a bad day it could fuck me up, lol

I never had an issue with any TOOL tracks (well, "Disgustipated" annoys me, but that's it...), but i used to piss myself with Marylin Manson's "Track 99" (Empty Sounds of Hate), now it's cute and all...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sigh, this thread hits hard.
    Peter had to leave this world way too soon and I will always wonder what we would've gotten from him if he was still around. More nudes? Brilliant music? Sharp tongued interviews that would have made me smile? Or would the music and everything have changed completely with his change of faith, sobriety etc.?
    At least I made it to some live shows. I hate it when they go too soon.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Sigh, this thread hits hard.
    Peter had to leave this world way too soon and I will always wonder what we would've gotten from him if he was still around. More nudes? Brilliant music? Sharp tongued interviews that would have made me smile? Or would the music and everything have changed completely with his change of faith, sobriety etc.?
    At least I made it to some live shows. I hate it when they go too soon.
    I’ve detailed my story many times but I’ll say it again because I still find it so disturbing.

In April 2010 I was still doing shift work at my university library. It was the night before a usual shift the next day, and that evening, right before I went to bed, the last song I listened to on my PC, for whatever reason, was Anesthesia. Again, for some unknown reason, I decided to turn it up full blast right at the end when you can hear the faint piano outro and Peter whispering “I don’t feel… anything. Anything. Anything. Any-thing.” A premonition? This was the band that “got me into” music with the song Wolf Moon when I was around 12 years old. The next morning I do my usual morning routine and read Juliya’s tweet about Peter’s passing. It was like my John Lennon dying. I couldn’t focus at all that following day.

But seriously, what are the odds of me coincidentally choosing that song as the last thing I listen to before sleeping, especially pumping up those final words at the ending? I can’t remember if I was feeling especially depressed to do it or what, but it happened. It was almost like he was telling me what was about to happen. I still look back at it in awe to this day.

Being in Australia, they didn’t ever tour here, so I never had the privilege of a live show. Peter’s personality and interests so mirrored my own that I am eternally saddened that I know our brains will never get the chance to cross.

Oh well, maybe I’ll meet Till one day.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 06-09-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Epic.

Interesting:

Last edited by Erneuert; 06-10-2021 at 06:09 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    But seriously, what are the odds of me coincidentally choosing that song as the last thing I listen to before sleeping, especially pumping up those final words at the ending? I can’t remember if I was feeling especially depressed to do it or what, but it happened. It was almost like he was telling me what was about to happen. I still look back at it in awe to this day.
    Yeah, it is creepy. Not a believer in fate, though. I think things like these and life in general are usally a twisted, fucked up series of coincidences and if you take all the Type O fans around the world blasting their music on any random night, someone must end up listening to this specific song at this specific given time, which sadly happened to be right before Peter's passing. In this case it was you. If it cheers you up: congratulations on being the statistical confidence?
    It's just like our brain is wired the way that negative emotions enhance our memory more than positive emotions. Ask a person what they were doing on 9/11, on the day their parents died or whatever, and ask them what they were doing on the day of their Xth birtday or their child's day of birth. You'll surely get interesting answers in terms of details.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Worth mentioning that it's 30 year anniversary time?
    Happy anniversary, soundtrack of my life.

Do you believe in forever?
    I don't even believe in tomorrow
    The only things that last forever
    Are memories and sorrow

Last edited by shade; 06-14-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Worth mentioning that it's 30 year anniversary time?
    Happy anniversary, soundtrack of my life.

Do you believe in forever?
    I don't even believe in tomorrow
    The only things that last forever
    Are memories and sorrow

Since that album was all basically Carnivore leftovers, I’ll add:

The pain, it only gets worse
    The pain, it only get worse
    Give up, 'cause there is no hope
    Life is hell when you can't cope

Somebody, somebody kill me
    Somebody put me out of my misery

Inner conflict

I think I'm losing my fucking mind

Large two-inch maggots decorate my vomit
    Infected eyes oozing pus
    Acknowledge the stench of human excrement
    Swamps of mucus prevalent
    Every hole in my body drips blood

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    TON never made an album that was anything less than great, but Dead Again is my favorite. There's something about that album..its sound, its subject matter, its mesmerizing artwork, the amazing riffs they came up with..that sets that album apart from the others for me..

That one song on there that's like 15 minutes long..These Three Things

Of a land, land that shuns the son
    So alien call it area 5-1
    Should there be failure to convert Zion?
    What came as a lamb returning as a lion

Not a nation, but a self-proclaimed state
    Since the year of our lord 1-9-4-8
    The road to redemption leads to through deserts
    Rocky though the trip through is well worth it

I am the duel of the fisherman Simon
    He brought alpha, omega, yes I'm the one
    The twins fell beginning Armageddon
    So the whore too who dwelleth in Babylon

Amazing..

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Rasputin photograph artwork is as good as any other haha.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Okay sure, but do you own THE VINYL package..?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Okay sure, but do you own THE VINYL package..?
    You know I own none of them. I still regret skipping that easy in store purchase for Bloody Kisses I could’ve had last year.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Gotta get on that Run Out Groove vinyl box set, homey. Sadly, it doesn't contain the almighty Dead Again..

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    First time I’ve watched Pete’s last interview properly all spliced together.