Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Way to exclude fans and miss out on revenue.
    Something tells me that offering a download costs a lot less than pressing a CD, printing artwork for it, and shipping them all over the country. Honestly though, that's only a guess. But if I'm guessing right, why does that translate into lost revenue?

That said, I'm still sad about the news. Yeah, I'll probably go ahead and buy the download anyway, but I really like holding the actual album in my hands and checking out any artwork/lyrics that come with it when I give it that first listen. No record player on tour, so no physical copy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    really? i mean - what use could you have for the CD? the music you can get digitally (and even burn on a CD if you want to play it in your car or something) and if you want some physical product - well, the vinyl is a perfect option, the packaging is larger, more detailed and more beautiful.
    What use? How about being able to put it in a CD player without having to keep a stash of blank discs that deteriorate over time? How about being 100% sure that you're listening to the album exactly the way it was meant to be heard, and not wondering if your burner screwed you over by putting gaps where there shouldn't be (or not putting gaps where there should be)? How about something to listen to in your car if you have a CD deck and don't like the sound of FM transmitters, or don't like traveling with an easily lost/stolen $200-$300 MP3 player?

Vinyl is the perfect option? Please. The majority of consumers don't even own a way to listen to vinyl, and of those who do, many own pretty crappy players. Packaging is larger? Great, that means the more albums I buy, the more storage space I have to dedicate to them. And when it comes time to move? I've helped vinyl collectors move - even they agree that it's a pretty shitty thin to deal with.

I realize that many people are done with CDs...but there's still a place for them in the market.
    Last edited by theimage13; 09-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.