Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rogue one is the second best Star Wars movie, only behind ESB.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    martin scorsese is overrated, for the most part. while Taxi Driver is an incredible film, and he definitely knows how to craft a quality movie, i don't ENJOY most of his films. i don't understand why people have such a collective boner for The Departed. i found it bleak, upsetting, and not entertaining.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Singles is one my favorite movies and is somewhat overlooked. Not a great film, but it is funny, has such charm, is the zeitgeist of the early 90's that really resonates with me, and has a killer soundtrack.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Twilight is one boring overhyped film, could only watch half of it

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Twilight is one boring overhyped film, could only watch half of it
    That's not really controversial unless you're one of those teens that loved those films. I thought they were shit though the first film was kind of watchable but it got worse w/ every other film that followed.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    martin scorsese is overrated, for the most part. while Taxi Driver is an incredible film, and he definitely knows how to craft a quality movie, i don't ENJOY most of his films. i don't understand why people have such a collective boner for The Departed. i found it bleak, upsetting, and not entertaining.
    You thought Taxi Driver was incredible, but The Departed was too bleak for you? I find that really odd considering that Taxi Driver is a lot more bleak than The Departed.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    No idea if this is really controversial, but whenever I read that Dave Bautista is also in a movie I get immediately put off. I don't know why since he seems like a nice person to be around with but why is he cast in probably every movie in need of a brute? I hated his performance in Spectre and I think he's the worst thing about Guardians. Of course he can't rewrite his roles, but his casting is always annoying IMHO. Since Jason Mamoa is in about everything already and so is the Rock, let's get Bautista... jesus.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    No idea if this is really controversial, but whenever I read that Dave Bautista is also in a movie I get immediately put off. I don't know why since he seems like a nice person to be around with but why is he cast in probably every movie in need of a brute? I hated his performance in Spectre and I think he's the worst thing about Guardians. Of course he can't rewrite his roles, but his casting is always annoying IMHO. Since Jason Mamoa is in about everything already and so is the Rock, let's get Bautista... jesus.
    wait, you didn't like him in Guardians? i thought he was perfect and hilarious. i haven't seen him in anything else but i can't imagine anyone else pulling that role off with the same balance of comedy and brutishness, where you'd still love the character.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I understand being put off by an actor; God knows I have my own *cannot stand* list.

From what we've seen about GotG 2 it looks like Bautista's Drax is going to steal the show. And that is something when you share a screen with Baby Groot. I haven't seen him outside of Guardians so I have nothing to compare his acting with but I do like him a lot in the MCU.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The movie Heat with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, a lot of people hated this movie and said it was unrealistic, but I fucking loved this film. Its dark and brooding there is an almost heaviness to the movie that I credit Michael Mann the director with, I like most of Michael Mann's films but add De Niro and Pacino and to me it is one of the classics. The way the movie was shot around Los Angeles in the mid 90's and its dark rich cinematography with almost a blue filter on the lens at times just adds to the vacantness of both De Niro's and Pacino's characters. Obviously there is a lot of violence in the movie, but I like that as well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Not really controversial but here it goes.

I LOVE the first Pirates movie. It's a fucking fantastic piece of cinema, easily in my top 10. It has everything: a compelling story, a great setting, awesome characters, unexpected twists, great action sequences and most importantly — heart. Something that's deeply missing in modern blockbusters.

I recently saw the fifth one and it was a huge disappointment. Granted, I expected it to be crappy but it still kinda hurts. I think it's a great franchise and although the first two sequels weren't perfect they still captured a lot of the things that made the first one so great. This one is the same half-assed, poorly written, uninspired and heartless sequel as the fourth installment. What makes me especially mad is that Jack Sparrow literally evolved into a caricature of himself; in the first one his character is so fascinating because he's sharp-witted, unpredictable and brilliant in his own way — now he's just a stupid drunk who's falling asleep mid-sentence.

It's also fucking sad because I hear a lot of positive feedback for this film. "It's going in the right direction again" ... No. Just no. It's nothing like the first movies. Is this really what people want? Soulless sequels that completely miss what was great about the franchise? Why do mainstream blockbusters need to be this fucking shitty in order to make money? I just don't get it.

Late edit: I get it now. I somehow forgot that people have shit taste.
    Last edited by niggo; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Not really controversial but here it goes.

I LOVE the first Pirates movie. It's a fucking fantastic piece of cinema, easily in my top 10. It has everything: a compelling story, a great setting, awesome characters, unexpected twists, great action sequences and most importantly — heart. Something that's deeply missing in modern blockbusters.

I recently saw the fifth one and it was a huge disappointment. Granted, I expected it to be crappy but it still kinda hurts. I think it's a great franchise and although the first two sequels weren't perfect they still captured a lot of the things that made the first one so great. This one is the same half-assed, poorly written, uninspired and heartless sequel as the fourth installment. What makes me especially mad is that Jack Sparrow literally evolved into a caricature of himself; in the first one his character is so fascinating because he's sharp-witted, unpredictable and brilliant in his own way — now he's just a stupid drunk who's falling asleep mid-sentence.

It's also fucking sad because I hear a lot of positive feedback for this film. "It's going in the right direction again" ... No. Just no. It's nothing like the first movies. Is this really what people want? Soulless sequels that completely miss what was great about the franchise? Why do mainstream blockbusters need to be this fucking shitty in order to make money? I just don't get it.

Late edit: I get it now. I somehow forgot that people have shit taste.
    I dug On Stranger Tides. Not sure how I feel about this new one though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I dug On Stranger Tides. Not sure how I feel about this new one though.
    I fucking love all four of them.

I haven't seen the new one but i figure i will probably like it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Listen guys, Johnny Depp's divorce & wine habit aren't gonna pay for themselves. You'll get alot of shitty Pirates sequels, and you'll fucking LIKE IT, ok???

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't lie...wife and I saw the new Pirates movie and liked it. Was it mind blowing? Nah. Good as the first two? Nah. It was a fun summer movie that we had fun seeing after a nice dinner on a Friday night. Does that mean we have 'shit taste'? Who cares. It was a movie. I have a lot more to worry about. Having kids and two mortgages changes what you worry about I guess. Is that controversial?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I understand that I'm a bit more invested in this franchise than your usual friday night moviegoer. It's just -- I don't know. I hate this evolution so much. Why does the most important character of the series need to get dumber and dumber? What's the deal with that? And most importantly, where's the fucking heart? The emotional aspects of this new one were so forced, it's as if they barely tried to make you really root for the characters. Everything's so shallow. The whole deal with Will's son would've been the perfect setup for a strong emotional connection between him and Jack. There were a lot of parallels and possibilites for great writing. The old, interesting part about Jack's character would've used all the things he knew about Will and his son for his own good and would've tried everything just so he'd be able to save his own skin. But, and that's the important part, he'd show his true nature in the very end: He's a good guy, he has a heart, and he cares about his friends and is even willing to sacrifice himself for that.

Anything remotely close to that happening today? Nope. He's a drunk idiot. Nothing more than a clown who's passively dragged through the story with a couple of bad jokes now and then. 0% wit. 0% mystery.

I know it's a bit lengthy, but for those interested, here's a clip that's trying to show what's so genius about the first movie. Although everybody's entitled to their own opinion, I think we can all agree that all of the sequels, especially the last two, fail to capture that tone. I just don't get the need for blockbusters getting more and more easy. Obviously the producers are going where the money is, but I just can't understand it. Hence my admittedly provocative comment about shit taste.

Last edited by niggo; 06-04-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I hated The Lego Movie.

I grew up with Legos, so I expected this movie to make me burst in joy. It had an okay (if sometimes annoyingly smug) story, nice set-pieces, and I loved how they found creative ways to incorporate what you can do with Lego bricks into an actual story. The score by Mark Mothersbaugh is great, as always. What killed it for me was the voice acting. Great cast on paper, horribly executed. Most of these A-listers seemed to have no experience in voice acting. Ol' Pixar knows how to pick great voices, not great names, and at least ol' Dreamworks knew how to squeeze the best out of their star-studded cast (even Shark Tale). Chris Pratt never convinced me that he was in character, or that he was anywhere but in a booth with a microphone. I've heard even worse things about the Angry Birds Movie (both story-wise and voice-wise), so I'm staying away from that one.

Haven't seen the Lego Batman Movie yet. It better be good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I hated The Lego Movie.

I grew up with Legos, so I expected this movie to make me burst in joy. It had an okay (if sometimes annoyingly smug) story, nice set-pieces, and I loved how they found creative ways to incorporate what you can do with Lego bricks into an actual story. The score by Mark Mothersbaugh is great, as always. What killed it for me was the voice acting. Great cast on paper, horribly executed. Most of these A-listers seemed to have no experience in voice acting. Ol' Pixar knows how to pick great voices, not great names, and at least ol' Dreamworks knew how to squeeze the best out of their star-studded cast (even Shark Tale). Chris Pratt never convinced me that he was in character, or that he was anywhere but in a booth with a microphone. I've heard even worse things about the Angry Birds Movie (both story-wise and voice-wise), so I'm staying away from that one.

Haven't seen the Lego Batman Movie yet. It better be good.
    oh, that makes me sad. i adore the lego movie. i feel like, despite its relatively standard archetypal story, it manages to add so much to make it interesting. i feel like chris pratt was the perfect person to play emmett, and everyone else is fantastic, too. i've watched around 5 times and i never get sick of it because it's just so fun and sweet and still makes me cry every time.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This might be controversial, but i really didn't rate the Lego Batman Movie.

I really enjoyed the Lego movie, but found the Lego Batman just...not as good as everyone else (seriously people are putting it up there with The Dark Knight and Batman 1989...HOW?!) It's just ...blah.

Of course having the whole "friends are important/like family" rammed down my throat whilst sitting on my own in an empty 300 seat cinema didn't help...the irony wasn't lost on me
    Last edited by Haysey_Draws; 06-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Here goes. "Once Bitten" is Jim Carrey's best film. "True Romance" would have been the best Quentin Tarantino film if he had directed it himself. "Cocktail" is the most re-watchable Tom Cruise film. George Clooney is a shitty actor. "The Dark Knight" is overrated.
    Last edited by Failure; 06-05-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Here goes. "Once Bitten is Jim Carrey's best film.
    i fucking LOVE that movie (and especially love its soundtrack).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I have been racking them up lately:

Dr. Strange was bland, and is evidence the bubble is ready to burst

Guardians 2 was plodding and bloated.

Wonder Woman was still loaded with sexist tropes and was otherwise really really by the numbers

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Dark Knight overrated? I'd like to know how. Not arguing or anything petty like that...I'd just be interested to hear the argument for that stance!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The Dark Knight overrated? I'd like to know how. Not arguing or anything petty like that...I'd just be interested to hear the argument for that stance!
    It was at least 30 minutes too long. The entire Two-Face arc was introduced way too late in the movie. Bale is a horrible Batman. I found the cinematography to be overly dark and the editing to be choppy (especially during action sequences). And generally speaking, the entire production insisted upon itself.

As Peter Griffin would say, "I like the 'Money Pit'".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fair enough!!!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually also think the dark knight is overrated and i blame basically everything after Rachel dies. Handling of two face was horrible. The boat thing is ppainfully awful. It sinks the movie.

Some people think this though. I also think the last third of Logan is ppretty awful. Once they visit the family with the ranch the whole mobie becomes a shitshow.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies, although I can see what people may not like about it. I agree that the boat thing is not necessarily great and there are many other things that aren't perfect. I just like Nolan's vision, directing and storytelling so much that those negative points barely change my opinion about the film itself. Same goes for Inception, which has also HUGE problems, but when the credits roll I'm still sitting there in complete awe.

I also absolutely adore Batman Begins, which in my opinion has one of the most epic and emotional scenes of any Batman movie: the with Ra's Al Ghul. A masterpiece in every way.

You can't really compare Batman Begins with The Dark Knight because they are completely different films (one being a fairly dark superhero origin movie and the other a thriller in a superhero setting), but I really love both of them equally. Unfortunately I was completely underwhelmed by the The Dark Knight Rises, which similar to the Pirates sequels fails to trigger me emotionally. TDKR at least tried, but I remember there was just something off about it. Didn't seem as sincere as the first two.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Con Air is fantastically awesome.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Con Air is fantastically awesome.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ...I don't get why people love Star Wars so much.