Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies, although I can see what people may not like about it. I agree that the boat thing is not necessarily great and there are many other things that aren't perfect. I just like Nolan's vision, directing and storytelling so much that those negative points barely change my opinion about the film itself. Same goes for Inception, which has also HUGE problems, but when the credits roll I'm still sitting there in complete awe.

I also absolutely adore Batman Begins, which in my opinion has one of the most epic and emotional scenes of any Batman movie: the with Ra's Al Ghul. A masterpiece in every way.

You can't really compare Batman Begins with The Dark Knight because they are completely different films (one being a fairly dark superhero origin movie and the other a thriller in a superhero setting), but I really love both of them equally. Unfortunately I was completely underwhelmed by the The Dark Knight Rises, which similar to the Pirates sequels fails to trigger me emotionally. TDKR at least tried, but I remember there was just something off about it. Didn't seem as sincere as the first two.
    The Dark Knight got 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and was unbelievably overrated and overhyped. I did not enjoy it and Batmans ridiculous voice kept taking me out of the film as I thought it laughable which is an actual controversial opinion surely?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    ...I don't get why people love Star Wars so much.
    I am proud to say that I've never actually watched Star Wars (or any of the sequels/prequels). Like, not even for a second. It all looks very unappealing and I'm sure I'd hate it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Fuck every Pirates movie made after the second one, won't watch any more
    Fuck every single Michael Bay transformers film after the first
    Jurassic World fucking sucked
    Terminator 3 sucked
    Terminator Salvation sucked
    Terminator Genisys probably sucked, I didn't watch it
    Alien Resurrection is nothing less than punishment from cruel unknowable gods
    Prometheus was fucking garbage
    Alien Covenant is Prometheus 2 and is also fucking dogshit
    Fuck AvP and fuck AvP2
    Not one of the fucking Mummy movies was any good or in any way memorable
    Fuck the people who want to make Beetlejuice 2
    Fuck the fetid walking piles of human dogshit who consider the fucking NOTION of Labyrinth fucking goddamned Two
    Fuck the Hobbit films
    Fuck this
    Fuck that
    Fuck everything
    It's all dogshit
    fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Predators was kinda good actually

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The Dark Knight got 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and was unbelievably overrated and overhyped. I did not enjoy it and Batmans ridiculous voice kept taking me out of the film as I thought it laughable which is an actual controversial opinion surely?
    Co-signing this. TDK was all style above substance. Which is fine for a superhero movie, but Nolan's gritty and oh so "realistic" take on the franchise fell flat on its face, in my opinion.
    Those films acted like sequels or relatives to films like Heat or L.A. Confidential in terms of scope and narrative, but what they actually did, was randomly glue-ing together action and drama scenes in a way that made those films 2 hour long trailers with messed up scripts full of plotholes.
    Nolan seems to be a hybrid of Kubrick and Michael Bay.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Accountant (2016): stupid.
    John Wick 2 (2017): incredibly, unbelievably stupid.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    As a franchise Star Trek has lost its way, real bad. Paramount has mishandled the motion picture franchise, certainly so with the soft reboot Abramsverse films, but the problems go back even further to the nextgen films being generally meandering and/or unnecessary when looked at in context with the nextgen TV series. Also Paramount/CBS was showing signs of faltering with Voyager which while generally good it was certainly not on par with the best of TNG or DS9, but they finally dropped the ball completely with Enterprise which was a series concept nobody was really asking for anyway. The poor ratings and ultimate cancellation are it’s real legacy. It doesn’t feel like Star Trek: Discovery is going to be the franchise savior. It sounds like there have been considerable production issues, and that its being relegated to CBS All Access makes me question how much CBS even believes in it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    As a franchise Star Trek has lost its way, real bad. Paramount has mishandled the motion picture franchise, certainly so with the soft reboot Abramsverse films, but the problems go back even further to the nextgen films being generally meandering and/or unnecessary when looked at in context with the nextgen TV series. Also Paramount/CBS was showing signs of faltering with Voyager which while generally good it was certainly not on par with the best of TNG or DS9, but they finally dropped the ball completely with Enterprise which was a series concept nobody was really asking for anyway. The poor ratings and ultimate cancellation are it’s real legacy. It doesn’t feel like Star Trek: Discovery is going to be the franchise savior. It sounds like there have been considerable production issues, and that its being relegated to CBS All Access makes me question how much CBS even believes in it.
    i'm also REALLY confused because i thought Discovery was taking place in the prime star trek universe and it looks 100% abrams. what's up with that?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm also REALLY confused because i thought Discovery was taking place in the prime star trek universe and it looks 100% abrams. what's up with that?
    Sorry to nerdrage here, but…

The visuals in the trailer are confusing. Tagline puts events of Discovery just 10 years prior to TOS supposedly in the prime timeline(?). But the aesthetics in the trailer don’t seem to fit that at all. Bridge looks generally dimly lit like a seedy lounge with bizarre lighting angles. It looks like Quark should be running a dabo tournament in this room.

The uniforms look way more connected to Enterprise era than to TOS. Plus if this is supposedly set in prime universe then we already have a reference to what the Starfleet uniform should look like around 10 years before the Kirk five year mission on the enterprise. “The Cage” episode takes place in that timeframe and the uniforms look like this,

And if those are supposed to be Klingons in the trailer… why?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The tendency in social media and seemingly a lot of movie blogging sites and/or critics to rate movies/tv shows on their level of "wokeness" is really getting tiresome to me.

As a reader of those and a film enthusiast there are only so much "takes" on why a tv show "has a race/woman/rape problem" or why a new movie offers a certain type of story or heroine "we need now" I can take (see the "controversy" about Blade Runner 2049 from last year for example).
    Same goes for all that hyperbole of "groundbreaking", "powerful", "revolutionary" and so on. Those are not terms to be thrown around so likely... like being applied to, say, a fucking superhero movie with a half naked model flying around in a mess of a story. Let it be what it is and not try to turn something so banal into Schindler's List.

That's not to say it's wrong to call out art that's truly problematic. But let's not get carried away with the hysteria, please.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Constantine (the movie) is not nearly as bad as a lot of people say it is. Sure, Keanu's voice is monotone throughout but I think it's due to Constantine's blazé attitude. Shia LeBeouf is a hoot as Chas, proving he is talented despite the awful Transformers movies.

And my darling Tilda can do no wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Constantine (the movie) is not nearly as bad as a lot of people say it is. Sure, Keanu's voice is monotone throughout but I think it's due to Constantine's blazé attitude. Shia LeBeouf is a hoot as Chas, proving he is talented despite the awful Transformers movies.

And my darling Tilda can do no wrong.

I forgot Conan O'Brien was in that.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    In a broad sense: (X-Men Movies and Shows) > MCU

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    American Hustle, the films everyone was going mad over how good it was a few years back, was the dullest film i've ever seen in cinema's. It was just an excuse for great actors to act great...the story was just SO BORING!

...but that's just me.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Watched it again yesterday and no, Logan was a mediocre movie. I can't believe how overly invested people become with an X-Men movie. While it indeed switches up the formula a bit and plays more on the emotional side combining it with an R-Rating it only shines that bright because it follows movies that didn't even try to deliver the matter in a serious way. So while that movie was the best we've seen from Wolverine in the cinematic universe together with the last scene of Apocalypse and parts of Days of Future's Past, this movie gives nothing to me, it's proposed depth is rather shallow compared to other critically acclaimed movies and hype is surreal.

With that being said, the overthinking that goes on with comic book movies these days just baffles me. They are essentially kids movies or aimed at a fan audience while being approachably by casual enthusiasts as well. But please stop making these movies seem like there's more to it other than fun, furious action, copious amounts of (mostly well done) CGI and some A-list actors involved. It's a roller coaster ride, sometimes a really entertaining one, but as @r_z pointed out no Schindler's List.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    On another note: can Alicia Vikander please disappear? Thank you.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    On another note: can Alicia Vikander please disappear? Thank you.
    you should see Ex Machina & The Danish Girl before saying that.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I have and while I very much enjoyed the former I still can't stand her at all. One of the few actresses/actors I truly avoid.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I liked Blade Runner 2049 more than the original.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    American Hustle, the films everyone was going mad over how good it was a few years back, was the dullest film i've ever seen in cinema's. It was just an excuse for great actors to act great...the story was just SO BORING!

...but that's just me.
    I second that opinion. That was movie was pretty dull.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The way the last act of Logan played out made the whole thing less than it could have been for me. It trades in all of its seriousness and sense of modern grit for the silly theatrics of the older X-Men movies and it suffers heavily for it -- the tonal shift is too huge.

Mother! was as heavy-handed and obvious in its symbolism as everybody says it is, but it's still a fantastic movie. The whole last forty minutes are the best kind of insane and the fact that a major studio treated it like a guaranteed blockbuster is fascinating.

The Exorcist isn't remotely scary to me, whatsoever, and I fully understand the historical context and innovation and impact of it, but it didn't make me enjoy it. I've never had any connection to Catholicism so maybe that's part of my lack of terror over it but I also don't believe in xenomorphs or the devil and I was still scared by Alien and Rosemary's Baby, so I don't know.

Don't Breathe was dull as fuck.

Whether or not a director is a bad person has no impact on my ability to enjoy a movie. There are often hundreds of people who work on any given movie and plenty of them have major impact on the finished project, and I'm sure plenty of those people are horrible, but it isn't stopping people from enjoying those movies. I haven't seen anybody saying they're going to never watch True Lies again even though we found out the stunt coordinator was a creep, and that movie is loaded with stunts. I'm all for not wanting to financially support bad people but to condemn the collaborative work of dozens-to-hundreds all because one person involved was a piece of garbage punishes all of the decent people who worked hard on something and had the misfortune of having a terrible person for a coworker.

The only reason Ridley Scott is taken so seriously is because of his younger successes and his ability to make professional-quality studio movies quickly and within budget. He hasn't made any great art in over a decade. The Martian was fun popcorn pop music and Prometheus has interesting ideas that it does nothing decent with.

Auteur theory is outdated and insulting to all of the people that make movies what they are. Editors, casting directors, costume designers, audio engineers, cinematographers, actors and set designers all have as important an impact on most movies as individual directors or screenwriters have. It's also dumb to judge a screenwriter who isn't a director off of the resulting movie -- read any early draft of a screenplay and then a finished film and you'll see something wildly different most of the time. Screenplays are usually guidelines instead of perfect blueprints and get changed enormously due to budgetary, scheduling and other constraints and the writer can have little to do with it the moment it's sold off to a studio. The fact that Roger Deakins and Emmanuel Lubezki are the only two cinematographers known by name by a lot of film fans is depressing and I'm as bad about it as anybody else -- directors get way too much credit for cinematography a lot of the time and editors are horrifically unsung. Tarantino's last two movies were drastically lower quality than any of his others and a big part of why is the death of his lifelong editor. The sense of focus, pacing and overall flow in Inglourious Basterds vs. Django Unchained is enormously different and one is clearly more smoothly put together than the other.

On that note, Tarantino isn't as amazing as his fanboys act like he is and he's not as terrible as the people who hate him act like he is. He's not god-awful but he isn't flawless. Nuanced opinions have become unwanted in the world of film discussion and it's a shame because you either have to absolutely adore everything or absolutely loathe everything about a movie and there's little wiggle room allowed. Almost everything is flawed in some way and to act like acknowledging those flaws is to call a movie terrible is ridiculous and reductive and leads to flaws being applauded out of bizarre defensiveness.

Absolutely no good has come from the endless slap-fighting about The Last Jedi

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The only reason Ridley Scott is taken so seriously is because of his younger successes and his ability to make professional-quality studio movies quickly and within budget. He hasn't made any great art in over a decade.
    I raise you The Counselor. A criminally underrated movie.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quentin Tarantino is seriously overrated.

Christopher Nolan too.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I'm getting so tired of franchises. Pretty much all of them, even Star Wars. There's just something exhausting about them, like if I get into one of them it means I gotta sign up to watch another 17 fucking movies.

I recognize that this isn't really rational. I have no problem with TV shows, which might literally add up to the same length of time, so I don't understand why I feel this way.

There's just something that feels so off-putting about them, like I'm getting enrolled in a fucking program. I'm getting to the point when I see some big unveiling of a new franchise trailer that I just let out a big long groan of exhaustion.

It's probably just because I'm becoming really grouchy and old.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I cannot stand all these superhero movies which look and feel like video games. The massive dragon ball z cgi fights just leave me numb. Why are we so preoccupied with characters made for kids? It is seriously like a year or two of reading age above teletubbies

I'm not saying we should only watch black and white French dramas and kill ourselves, a bit of fluff is fine and there's a lot of superhero movies I like (crow, some of the batman films, blade), but there are SO many of them and people love and hype them so much... I feel like a space alien

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I cannot stand all these superhero movies which look and feel like video games. The massive dragon ball z cgi fights just leave me numb. Why are we so preoccupied with characters made for kids? It is seriously like a year or two of reading age above teletubbies

I'm not saying we should only watch black and white French dramas and kill ourselves, a bit of fluff is fine and there's a lot of superhero movies I like (crow, some of the batman films, blade), but there are SO many of them and people love and hype them so much... I feel like a space alien
    why do you feel like they're "made for kids"? i don't feel that way at all.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    why do you feel like they're "made for kids"? i don't feel that way at all.
    The comic book characters were, but the films aren't. That's what I find odd. Rather than just being children's films, they are sort of darkened and hardened a bit. But nonethless, they are what they are. The hulk, Spiderman etc... are in the same drawer as Scooby doo for me.

The current crop of these movies feels as strange to me as a straight up horror movie of Scooby doo would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's obvious you haven't read a superhero comic-book in the last 40 years or so. They are absolutely not intended for children and the movie adaptations are actually more childish than the source material.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I agree Superhero Comic's were originally created for kids, they haven't been aimed at 'kids' for a very very long time. Hell when i was growing up even Sonic the Comic was going for a teen and older audience! And a lot of the hype from people for the films are coming from people that grew up with the characters, and are just excited to see them on the big screen.
    Also i'd agree most of the films are far more family friendly then the comics. Nothing wrong with not being into the current comic book movie hype machine, all the power to you, but writing them off as stuff 'made for kids' is the wrong argument i feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The hulk, Spiderman etc... are in the same drawer as Scooby doo for me.
    Thats cool, I get it. I group Pepa Pig and Cowboy Bebop together because they are both cartoons.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You can't really refute a bad comparison by making a bad comparison... peppa pig is for kids, bebop is for adults. Hulk and spiderman were not created for adults, were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    It's obvious you haven't read a superhero comic-book in the last 40 years or so. They are absolutely not intended for children and the movie adaptations are actually more childish than the source material.

I've read all the Frank Miller batman stuff - fair play that's not for kids. But we've never really got a faithful live action of any of them. Last spiderman I read was ultimate Spiderman about 13 years ago, Last hulks I read were planet hulk and world war hulk. Sorry but that stuff is for kids, or teenagers at most.

Ice haven, mox nox, black hole, the invisibles, spawn, the crow, Alan Moore books etc are what I would call adult fiction

I'm not saying it's morally wrong (although there is a whiff of protraction about it), I'm just a bit alienated by how huge and constant it is
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.