Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Hadn't see that before. I love KITH.

this one is my all-time favorite KITH sketch. it's just...so perfect. and also relevant given part of the discussion in the best debut albums thread! haha

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

this one is my all-time favorite KITH sketch. it's just...so perfect. and also relevant given part of the discussion in the best debut albums thread! haha
    I have seen this skit 100 times, always cracks me up.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    When they eventually reboot "The Expendables" I want it to be re-branded "Planet Hollywood".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    David Lynch's Dune is awful.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    but it's also kinda fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

here's mine - the birds sucks. only one likable character (who only becomes likable halfway into the movie), melanie is fucking creep, and it's so. god. damn. slow.
    i like all of the other hitchcock movies i've seen, but the birds is not a good movie.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's disappointing that we got that and not the Alejandro Jodorowsky version.

Still, some of the team on that movie (Giger, O'Bannon, etc) went on to make Alien. Not a bad trade.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Clint Eastwood will go down in cinematic history as a director, not as an actor.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Clint Eastwood will go down in cinematic history as a director, not as an actor.
    but like...also as an asshole ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Watching Return of the King, our extended edition DVDs and finding it unfathomable that the theatrical version missed out Saruman’s ending, the skulls in the Paths of the Dead sequence and the whole the Scouring of the Shire section of the book was ignored! Also loving it much more than I remembered. I think they should have ended it after Aragorn was crowned

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Dazed and Confused and especially Can't Hardly Wait weren't that good.
    This is old, but ... Dazed and Confused is a period movie that’s far more enjoyable to people who were actually around during the particular period in question. Just like how you like “Singles.” “Dazed” perfectly sums up high school during that period, even if you didn’t go to high school in Texas or didn’t have those dumb rituals at your high school (we certainly didn’t), the movie still sums up the massive boredom, hanging out, pot-smoking and aimlessly driving around while pot-smoking, and the music.

My contribution:

The Ten Commandments SUCKS. Everything about it sucks.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    but like...also as an asshole ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Okay, I'll bite. Is it because of the chair thing? Because yeah, that was absolutely ridiculous. It made him look like an old fool who's losing his mind. I'll admit I don't know much about him as a person, apart from what is on his Wikipedia page. My comment was only about his career in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My contribution:

The Ten Commandments SUCKS. Everything about it sucks.
    The Charlton Heston/ Yul Brynner thing? I believe you mean that it's awesomely kitsch. It's the best fun I have every Easter!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Charlton Heston/ Yul Brynner thing? I believe you mean that it's awesomely kitsch. It's the best fun I have every Easter!
    It’s about Passover, and it’s the WORST 9000-hour waste-of-time ever.

Clint Eastwood is known as an asshole in the U.S. because he’s a Republican Trump supporter. Although he recently switched to Bloomberg (not redeeming).
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Okay, I'll bite. Is it because of the chair thing? Because yeah, that was absolutely ridiculous. It made him look like an old fool who's losing his mind. I'll admit I don't know much about him as a person, apart from what is on his Wikipedia page. My comment was only about his career in movies.

It’s about Passover, and it’s the WORST 9000-hour waste-of-time ever.

Clint Eastwood is known as an asshole in the U.S. because he’s a Republican Trump supporter. Although he recently switched to Bloomberg (not redeeming).
    this is a little melodramatic, but it's not wrong. and it links to the vanity fair article where he very clearly outs himself as an out of touch, racist dick.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Wow. Thank you both. That I really didn't know about.

On one hand, you could say that he's a product of his generation but on the other hand, the one that matters the most, a man of his intelligence should have been able to break from that mold and grow up with his views of the world.

Also: @allegro when I was growing up, on Easter weekend, cable tv would give us the Charlton Heston double showcase of Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments. At Christmas, cable tv would give us the double showcase of The Sound of Music and Gone With The Wind.

Cable tv is weird.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking of Easter zzzzzzzzzzz. Every Good Friday, my Catholic family would subject us to The Robe. At least it had Richard Burton.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Speaking of Easter zzzzzzzzzzz. Every Good Friday, my Catholic family would subject us to The Robe. At least it had Richard Burton.
    i thought you were jewish!? did you convert when you married G? or are you just really knowledgable about judaism (like you are about many things)?

ok, my controversial opinion: i've been watching a lot of Argento films lately and several of my friends have cited Deep Red as their favorite, but i just cannot get into it at all. and the dubbing is WAAAAAAY worse and way more distracting than usual in his movies.
    anyway, so far my favorite is Suspiria (duh) but followed very closely by Cat O' Nine Tails (which is apparently Argento's least favorite of his films). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i thought you were jewish!?
    G and I were both raised Catholic.

Anyway

I’ve never really grokked Ingmar Bergman.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-20-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw The Godfather III yesterday for the first time in a while, and I think that while it's not quite as good as the first two, it's still a fine movie (as I've said in this thread before). If Winona Ryder had not dropped out of the project and she had played Mary Corleone and if Robert Duvall had reprized his role as Tom Hagan, I think III would have been as good as the first two.

My take on the death of Michael Corleone might be controversial. Most people seem to think that he died a lonely and broken man, but did he?

Yes, he died alone, but maybe he finally found peace with himself and his sins.

ETA: Andy Garcia was great as Vincent Corleone.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is what comes of having an autistic child who has to watch Jurassic Park with me up to the bit where the TRex chases the jeep every morning, you notice little things that aggravate you

Why does Ian Malcolm say ‘what have they got in there, King Kong?’ as they enter the park when his character KNOWS there is a TRex in there, it’s just an annoying filmmakers reference to another film that now takes me out of it

now when he says that I shout at the TV, you know there’s a TRex in there, what is wrong with you

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Does he know, though? Because Hammond didn't tell the others (apart from the lawyer).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Does he know, though? Because Hammond didn't tell the others (apart from the lawyer).
    Hmm I suppose but I would have thought if you’re going to have a dinosaur park it would be a bit anticlimactic without a TRex!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    No, what I mean is, that the Dern and McNeil characters certainly didn't know they were about to see living dinosaurs as Hammond didn't exactly tell 'em what the park was about.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    No, what I mean is, that the Dern and McNeil characters certainly didn't know they were about to see living dinosaurs as Hammond didn't exactly tell 'em what the park was about.
    Yes but Ian Malcolm said ‘he did it, the son of a bitch did it’ at the point where they all saw the grazing herbivore dinosaurs suggesting he had an inkling of what was going on beforehand, plus they all saw the brachiosaurus etc before they embarked on the tour where he comments about King Kong. I’ve seen this film far too many times, 89 since Lockdown (up to the trex jeep chase).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Heh, you're right. I thought he said that before they meet the herbivores. Maybe it's a comment on the giant doors to the park he thought were ridiculous? Or him trying to impress Ms. Sattler with his humor....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Only Lynch film I couldn't get through. I don't even really consider it a true Lynch film considering all the behind the scenes BS that went on.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why does Ian Malcolm say ‘what have they got in there, King Kong?’ as they enter the park when his character KNOWS there is a TRex in there, it’s just an annoying filmmakers reference to another film that now takes me out of it
    I always saw that line as Malcolm commenting on how ridiculous the theatricality of the whole thing was. Based on his comments later in the film, he's clearly not a fan of how one of the greatest scientific advances in human history was turned into a marketing gimmick.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I mean, holy shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Getting annoyed at the Jack Black character in Peter Jackson’s King Kong. He’s either a cunt or useless all the way through, then gets to make the pithy remark ‘it was beauty who killed the beast’ at the end. No it was YOU who bought Kong back. I don’t even blame the military who did what they had to do. Shame they couldn’t have tranquillised him and took him back, but I wish Kong had at least killed him

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that was my episode 1 for a long time. there are still bits I like - the T-Rex fight is nice - but there are so many others that are just floundering - the T-Rex fight takes so long - that its runtime just bugs me.

It's like George Rail Road Martin and other fantasy authors who get so successful they eschew the whole thought of having an editor to trim the fat.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Batman Returns (1992) was the best Batman movie.